Calling All Previous/Current Crossfitters

In the past couple of months, flexibility and mobility have been taking over my strength training workouts. In the past week or two, I've posted on this forum about conditioning.  With those two things in mind, I've made a new workout program that combines all those things. It's a good program, and I like it a lot.  The thing is, I want to go to the gym more.  I'm a med student who spends a lot of time sitting and studying.  Gym days are my absolute favorite.  The day is broken up and I get 2 hours to kill a workout and then cook a nice, healthy, and huge meal. It's very refreshing and makes studying a lot easier. 

I've been thinking that Crossfit fits into what I want to do very well. It combines a bit of everything, and from what I understand, the structure is 3 days on/1 day off. In addition, I'm a non-trad student in a new city. I don't know anyone, and the people in my med school class are at least 6 years younger than me. Generally, it's not a big deal, but they're much more concerned with going out to bars than I am, and I would love to meet some fitness minded people. 

I'd love to hear any and all feedback from people who have CFd or currently CF. Any experiences, positive or negative. I've read a lot of articles about it, but hearing from real people like you guys would be really helpful instead of people who run a website or are personal trainers, etc.  I'm curious about the workouts, the intensity and recovery, and the social aspect, plus anything else you think may be relevant.

Thanks for any feedback!

A lot will depend on how the group is led, but if you're excited about it, go for it.  Take note of the exercises they have you doing though, as even though CF attempts to be about functional movement, sometimes they neglect certain movement planes.  I probably wouldn't do it more than 2-3 times a week to start, as you'll need some time to adapt.  If you have general all-around goals and CF is something you're interested in, go for it.

And don't let them sell you on any kind of CF-bro nutrition plan.

• Like 1

Legato, I've just joined a box myself. They've started me on a "fundamentals" class set to get ready for the regular WODs. As a pretty active gym goer I have to say that I'm really enjoying the change of pace. I like that they design the programming and I get to just show up and work hard. I've read some negatives about drinking the kool-aid and turning into a CF clone. I think you just need to be mindful that no one knows everything, and that you can always make sure to round out your workout outside of CF too.

I like being yelled at, I like that they push you. I like that it is still cheaper than a personal trainer-just my 2 coppers. 

• Like 1

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

STR:5 DEX:2 STA:3 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

Current Challenge: Kitsune Evolve!

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion"

Brother been crossfitting since 2006 when it was still kind of an underground fitness movement, drank the cool aid had a million crossfit shirts, was a diciple of the glassman woke up one day and realized....buddy its just a different form of working out.

Enjoyed alot more then i bounce between going to boxes, and training at home in my garage gym, and training at the squadron for pt.

I use the box alot less since we don crossfit esc type pt sessions so I get my camaraderie that way.  

I agree with above go learn take it in but be your own person if you love it dive head first and have a blast if the box you find turns you off there's always others or you can just use main pages programming.

Good luck brother feel free to pm with any questions if you want to.

• Like 1

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

I appreciate all the replies. It's crazy that such a big business doesn't have any sort of quality control for their affiliates. It makes it difficult trying to find a gym.  I'm checking out a few different boxes in my city for the free classes. One looks particularly promising, with coaches certified in things other than CF and programming that's more strength-oriented than is typical. My current workout plan is really solid, so I have no qualms about not CFing, but it seems like it could be a ton of fun if I find the right place. 

Thanks again for your help!

I crossfit regularly, and really enjoy it. I was formerly one of those stick thin chronic cardio girls, and I can't say enough about how good it is to have muscle! I go to a box which runs an open gym format (no classes). I like it because I'm learning a better way to move, both with and without weights. I also enjoy the accountability of my coaches, who know if I'm working hard or not.

My 2 cents: If you already have the gear (or a gym with bumper plates), know how to use it, and are self motivated, skip the expense and go with main site programming. 

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I've been Crossfitting for just over two months now and I absolutely love it. It takes some time to get into the group and get acquainted with the other members but the camaraderie is great and is part of what keeps me coming back. Definitely do your research and keep a skeptical eye on the coaches and the training. For me, the certs and stats of the coaches wasn't as important as my internal BS alarm. If what the coach was telling me to do didn't pass the "sniff test" I would've dumped out long ago.

My box is relatively new and has a small group, but I kinda like that. We get close attention from our coaches and it's more intimate, but less intimidating. I've been seeing great results personally and across the group and we all get along really well. The downside to a small box is you run into the growing pains: having to share equipment, small facilities, etc. However, it just becomes a part of the process and we adapt. 

Try to drop in on a workout and see if you get along well with the coach and others. Sometimes the coach can be a world class athlete, but if they don't get you or understand how you tick, then it might not work for ya. All in all, it should be fun and challenging. You should be encouraged to push yourself to your limits and more, but not to the point of injury. You know your body better than the coaches do so you have to learn to communicate well, but as a med student I can imagine you've got that covered. 

Good Luck!

• Like 1

"Being stronger will make you better in every conceivable aspect of your life, except of course being weaker."

Fitocracy: https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/boudain

FitBit: http://www.fitbit.com/user/297TR5

RunKeeper: http://runkeeper.com/user/boudain/profile

I agree with above statement if yo u have the equipment give main site a whirl, i do that for the most part its nice to just be able to work out at the house when i want.

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

And to the above post haters going to hate....love crossfit the debate is funny to me how much the body building community is hating on it.

It's crazy that such a big business doesn't have any sort of quality control for their affiliates. It makes it difficult trying to find a gym.  I'm checking out a few different boxes in my city for the free classes. One looks particularly promising, with coaches certified in things other than CF and programming that's more strength-oriented than is typical. 

I don't know about other boxes, but my Coach travels all over the world to train other Coaches, a lot of them know each other and can make recommendations...if you are still looking, let me know? maybe my coach knows someone in your city? 

I definitely agree that not all boxes are created equal...so if you are still on the fence, or haven't found one you like, drop me a PM. :)

Level 6.5 Female Druid/Celtic Goddess
(Str. - 14) (Dex. - 10) (Sta. - 11) (Con. - 10) (Wis. - 11) (Char. - 13)

My Most Recent Challenge!

Spoiler

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily To-Do List:

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Hey CrazyMags, thanks a lot for offering to ask about a suggestion. I actually decided to continue lifting on my own and adding in some conditioning pieces.  I did find a box I liked quite a bit, but it was 20 minutes away.  The distance plus the cost made me realize now isn't a good time for me to join Crossfit. I'll probably join sometime down the road because I find the whole training paradigm really intriguing, and done well I have no doubt it turns people into absolute beasts. Now isn't the time for me, but its time will come!

Thanks again for your offer! Take care.

Sure thing! <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 6.5 Female Druid/Celtic Goddess
(Str. - 14) (Dex. - 10) (Sta. - 11) (Con. - 10) (Wis. - 11) (Char. - 13)

My Most Recent Challenge!

Spoiler

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily To-Do List:

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast