Couch to Half Marathon - can I learn to love the run?

Hi All,

Happy to be joining this cool community. I'm joining because I want to start to enjoy physical activity.  I figure if I can make running without being chased fun, then anything can be fun.  Any improvement in physique is a bonus, but completing a challenge and enjoying exercise are the main goals.

I'm a single father of two, musician, programmer/analyst, and like hiking but am otherwise very sedentary. Out of shape but fortunately not that overweight.  I'm currently, 5' 9 1/2" and 160lbs.  With improved posture I could be 5'10".  One time I exercised; 2 years ago I lost 30lbs, but have since gained 15lbs back through frequent trips to the snack bar at work.  

I recently saw an ad for the Town Half Marathon in Oakland in mid-August and thought "I love Oakland.  I should sign up for that." before remembering that I have always hated running.  My new theory is that running is like asparagus.  If I don't like it, it's because I have been doing it wrong. As a kid, I always thought asparagus was cold, mushy, and stringy.  Then I had roasted asparagus and it rocked my world.  So while I have not liked running in the past, I am approaching it with an open mind and the nerd in me is geeking out on trying to improve my form.  

Now I have a goal with a deadline - complete the Town Half Marathon on August 16th, and an outline of a training plan, Couch to Half Marathon in 14 weeks. Part of me thinks I'm crazy and the other part of me agrees, but I'll give it my best shot for 3 months.  If I don't like running after that, I'll have to find a new activity.  So far I am 4 days into the program and while I can't say I like running yet, today definitely sucked less than Friday.  New sneaks helped.   I feel better after the run for sure.

Planning on running a 5k on Father's day with my oldest son.  Really looking forward to that actually.  

Nice to meet you all :)

- Ben

• Like 1

Adventurer  Level: 1  Stats: Strength - 1, Dexterity - 2, Stamina - 4, Constitution - 2, Wisdom - 1, Charisma - 0

Current Challenge: Run the Town

100%
100%

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff" - 10th Doctor

Good luck with learning to love running.  Heck, in my opinion, if you learn to just LIKE running, you have won!  I hate it.  LOL.  (sustained distance running).

That said, in terms of food I look at things that I don't like as a mental problem.  As long as there isn't any physical reason you can't eat or do something, there is zero reason that you can't learn to like something over time. 

When I get in phases where I do run (it's not often), I look for little things that I can "measure" to see how I am progressing along with an overall time.  Like, first mile time, how I feel at the half way point, so on and so forth.

"Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A"

Challenge: #1

Ooh you are brave! I'm currently doing couch to 5k - nothing as impressive as your running program, but I can promise you that at some point, you might feel, like I did, that everything slots together and you suddenly find that you seem to enjoy running! And you just want to run faster. It's a good feeling.

Aquatic Elf

Level 2 | STR 0 | DEX 0.5 | STA 1.5 | CON 6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Challenges 1 2

Part of me thinks I'm crazy and the other part of me agrees

Hey, Ben. I'm new to NF, but have put myself through the ringer with running, in the past. I've gone from 0 to half-marathon before. Let me tell you - it sucks, at first. I'm not even kidding. It's effing dumb how annoying running is when you have no stamina built up for it. Stick with it, though. They (who? I have no idea) say that the first mile is always the worst, and from my experience that's true whether you are running your first mile ever or running a half-marathon. Once you get used to getting the first mile over with in your training, however, you can achieve a zen-like enjoyment of your runs. It can really be great.

I suggest that you to listen to your body, cross-train in order to strengthen your joints and follow the advice of all of the experienced runners available in these forums. You will feel amazing by the time you've hit the finish line.

Level 0 | Amazon | Class = ???

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

LJ Diet Blog

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

Hola! What a nice, concrete goal. That said

Im also one of those haters

Who isnt down with dat cardio lol

But your mileage may vary, i really do hear it gets addicting and eventually makes you feel like a badass, so all the more power to you :) endurance running is also a pretty practical skill....right? Nice nice nice

And im sure even if you still end up feeling meh about it, you'll still end up healthier and fitter and in all likelihood if you try out new things to condition, you'll find a cool mode of exercise you like better along the way.

How cool a father and son 5k :) go for it!

Level 1 Halfling - Rebel Nooblet - STR 2|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 2|CHA 2

Challenge Thread

Challenge goals:

Pole dance 15x

40%
40%

Rock climbing 18x

50%
50%

Lab for 36 hours

36%
36%

What the junk is lumberjane up to?

Thanks for the replies and encouragement, everyone.

@Noitca, I am all about the measurement. ::thumbsup::

@Redpuma, I think I had my first taste of that zen moment on the stationary bike last night.  After the first 10 minutes, the rest of the workout seemed easier even though my heart rate was up.  The legs just kept moving.  Definitely not at that point with running yet, but I'm still in the first week, so what do I expect.  If I can get to that feeling by August, I'll be really happy.

Hi, well I do love running, but I know it's not for everyone. Do you listen to music? I love putting on some favourite tunes and zoning out to a good beat. Those endorphins are lovely too. Good luck with the training! It's a heck of a goal.

I haven't listened to music while running yet.  Right now I'm running with my keys in 1 hand and my phone in the other (an interval app tells me when to walk or run).  If I use headphones, the cord bobs around so much that I find it annoying.  If I solve that, then I will try music again.  

And im sure even if you still end up feeling meh about it, you'll still end up healthier and fitter and in all likelihood if you try out new things to condition, you'll find a cool mode of exercise you like better along the way.

How cool a father and son 5k :) go for it!

This may very well be the case.  I'm trying different activities on the cross training days to see if one stands out.  Even within the first week I have noticed the cardio aspect is getting easier and my average speed has increased - I am so slow, - how could it not ;)  The shins are sore; I need to work on my form more and not worry so much about the pace.  Also glad that tomorrow is a rest day after 3 straight days of working out.  Hoping that will give my legs a chance to recover.

Anyway, really happy to be part of this community.  Thanks got the warm welcome!

Adventurer  Level: 1  Stats: Strength - 1, Dexterity - 2, Stamina - 4, Constitution - 2, Wisdom - 1, Charisma - 0

100%
100%

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff" - 10th Doctor

I hate running! but I've found that doing it with a friend that's at your level makes it a lot easier. Even if you both have headphones on, it's still fun to have someone there to encourage you.

paigetopus, level 0 satyr adventurer
STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Starting Weight: 137

Current Weight: 135.2 (1.8 lbs Lost)

Goal Weight: 120

Enjoy your rest day :) good job taking care of yourself, dont wanna burn out!

the best part is loving your progress and one day you find that you're disappointed its a rest day!

IT HAPPENED TO ME

It could happen to you

Level 1 Halfling - Rebel Nooblet - STR 2|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 2|CHA 2

Challenge Thread

Challenge goals:

Pole dance 15x

40%
40%

Rock climbing 18x

50%
50%

Lab for 36 hours

36%
36%

What the junk is lumberjane up to?

Ah! I'm so with you! I started running (for the first time in my life) in November and my first race is a half-marathon coming up in three weeks! I still wouldn't say I love running, but I definitely no longer hate it. Actually... I think it might be better described as a love/hate relationship. If you get your headphone situation figured out (maybe get an armband?), I'd definitely try the Zombies, Run app. It has different modes (including one specifically for intervals) and the storyline/voice acting really grips you. At least, it grips me. There was a point during my last run where I was tempted to let a couple of tears fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkq

• Like 1

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Epsilon, Good luck on your race. Very cool to meet someone who is almost at the other end of the challenge.

I made it over 3 miles on Friday and officially registered for the race. Thanks again for the welcome, everybody. Going to transition to the battle logs forum to keep track of my daily activity. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

100%
100%

And here I thought my couch 10k training in 10 weeks was ambitious.  Go you!

I started running in February this year and before then I hated it.  But, like you said, I hated it because I was doing it wrong.  Wrong shoes, wrong training technique (in school the teachers just expect you to know how to run).  I now have good, supportive shoes, a good, gradual training program, good group of people to help motivate.  That definitely helped.

You'll be awesome, I'm sure of it.

6th kyu in Aikido

I write stuff in my spare time

I love Star Trek

Thanks, Amanda!   3 weeks in and I am just starting to have brief glimpses of what it feels like to run properly.  Looking forward to the next week of the plan.  Good luck with your program.

100%
100%

I did it!!!!!!!! (And !!!!!!! Some more just for emphasis)

I completed The Town Half Marathon in just over 2 hours. Bonked around mile 11, but I am still so happy with the results.

5cbc188a7eb224eb379050b70bc1ec9d.jpg

c9d2663f24af6496108e91409ff15d8d.jpg

• Like 1

100%
100%