2014 Meetup 2: Sydney Australia - Thursday 5th June 6.30pm onwards

Hi everyone, time for an overdue meetup in Sydney! 

It's open to anyone and I encourage you to come along and meet some fellow NF'ers, we're friendly folks :)

Venue: Red Oak Boutique Beer Cafe,  201 Clarence Street, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2000

Date: Thursday 5th June

Time: From 6:30pm

Cheers

Dominic

Attending:

@Endor

@barefootdawsy

@Yuen

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

Thurs 5th June is good for me too. (I will be on call at work - but I usually don't get called in)

I can't do 26-29 May because I will be in Hawaii :)

Awesome! Which island? I can give you a few tips if you want. 

Oahu. Tips would be great! (Although we've been to Hawaii before for a couple of weeks 2 years ago)

Ah ok, lots of shopping, eating and surfing then :)

We like to eat at Nobu but it's expensive so it depends on your budget. I also like to have a burger in Cheeseburgers in Paradise, it's so kitch! If you don't want hotel buffet food there's a place called eggs n things (i think) that does more typical aussie breakfast style stuff. The quality had dropped off a bit last time we were there though. 

I think Waikiki is the best place to learn to surf, nice long slow rolling waves and you can hire a board right off the beach. Have a lesson if you haven't surfed before and I recommend buying some booties if you're going surfing, there is some coral there and it just gave me a bit more confidence to know my feet had some protection. Also if you have any it's a good idea to wear some cycling shorts under your boardies and a rash vest is a must, else you'll end up with a nasty rash from the foam boards. 

It's worth hiring a car and having a drive round the island. You can do the whole thing in a day. 

I haven't managed to get up there yet but everyone has recommended a walk up to Diamond Head and if you can afford it a helicopter ride is supposed to be fantastic up there too. 

Wish I was going with you :)

Sadly I think I will have to opt out of this one - I'm on a very busy rotation at the moment and I have my next OSCE in early June so I don't think a night out is a very good idea at this stage. I hope you all have an excellent time though! (Oh and Dominic, I started the armstrong pullup program this week - I'll let you know how it goes!) 

• Like 1

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger 

Sadly I think I will have to opt out of this one - I'm on a very busy rotation at the moment and I have my next OSCE in early June so I don't think a night out is a very good idea at this stage. I hope you all have an excellent time though! (Oh and Dominic, I started the armstrong pullup program this week - I'll let you know how it goes!) 

No worries, there will be another one ;) 

Best of luck with the OSCE, I'm sure you'll fly through!

Let me know how you go with Armstrong, I'll be very interested. I hurt my forearm and had to stop but I want to give it another go at some point. 

I vote we meet up in Hawaii at the end of May (Yuen's shout?)....otherwise June 5th works for me too...

Any thoughts on venue?

Venue....hmmm, your idea of the Arthouse could be a good idea. 

Ever tried this place? I've never been but heard good things... http://www.redoak.com.au/

Else been here a few times and it's very good...little bit further afield from transport though. http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/bars/venues/2136/the-local-taphouse

Somewhere near Central would be handy but I'm not that familiar with that area. 

Those both look good too...mmm beer. Another place is the pumphouse near the Ent Cent...pricey but good

I'm glad you said that, I'm staying in the novotel tonight which I think the pumphouse is part of, would be rude not to sample their offerings ;)

Didn't even make it into the pumphouse, just peeped through the window, looks ok though. 

Executive decision is:

Red Oak. 

Thurs 5th June

6:30pm

I have booked a table for 4, we can add extras nearer the time if our numbers swell! 

I'm game for a pint in the Arthouse on Pitt St before if you want as well.