I thought that mapmyride's calorie calculation is way too high, and googled.

I reached to their website's calorie calculator.

Now, I was playing with the parameters. Weight, height, age, activities, distance, duration.

Distance and duration are obvious.

Weight - it's easy to understand that more weight - more calories.

However two factors that I don't understand.

Age - between age 20 and 44, 44 burns 10% more calories

Height - 6-2 burns about 8% less than 5-2.

Does anybody know why height and age matters to the calorie calculation?

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Most of the formulas I've been reading on the web involve bits like "age*0.2132blahblahblah" in them, which suggests they think the older you are, the more calories you burn doing the same exercise.

As for height, I didn't find any other formulas requiring it anywhere. I suspect it's trying to use the weight and height to calculate body composition through BMI, so it can alter the calorie numbers appropriately. We all know how accurate BMI is. I couldn't hit my recommended BMI number if I cut off my legs.

This Wired article is kind of interesting.

Jothra

i | ii | iii | iv | v | vi | vii | viii

I have found that the MapMyRide calorie calculation is consistent with other calorie calculators on the 'net but that could mean that they're all wrong. None of them take into account the terrain or head/tailwind so these will only be estimates. Only a power meter on your bike (~$1,500?) can really measure your effort and therefore calories.

Challenge Logs: Current Challenge 3 2 1 Battlelog

Origin of Name:

FN: Julian -> Jules -> Family Jewels -> Family

LN: Rickards = Canadian brand of Beer -> Beer

Call me "FamilyBeer" (or just Jules)

Muscle mass burns more calories than fat.  We tend to lose muscle mass as we age, so i'm sure the presumption is that an older person will burn fewer calories.  A shorter person who is the same mass as a taller person is also likely to be carrying more muscle mass and burning more calories

There's a small number of BMR formulas, Wikipedia has them here -- A lot of sites will state that they use the Harris-Benedict equation (which was developed all the way back in 1919).

What seems to be most significant is your Lean Body Mass, i.e. your weight that isn't fat. The formulas that use age/weight/height are then using those factors to come closer to the information provided by Lean Body Mass than just weight alone.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Muscle mass burns more calories than fat.  We tend to lose muscle mass as we age, so i'm sure the presumption is that an older person will burn fewer calories.  A shorter person who is the same mass as a taller person is also likely to be carrying more muscle mass and burning more calories

OP said 44 burns 10% more.  Maybe because of lower muscle mass they have to work harder?  Though, I would suspect it comes (at least in part) from the higher percentage of the max HR.

Race: Gnoll

Class: Ranger

Level: 0