Two weeks until the next challenge? Challenge accepted!

MAIN QUEST

To neatly pack my mental baggage for the next challenge period...

• Strip my calendar and HabitRPG of low-priority activities. Replace them with my current schedule of training [including blocked off times to train at home] and add to fill holes in practice. Ensure there is one day of recovery.
  • Define goals in aerial hoop, contortion, and dance. Write daily homework to approach each of these goals (and if not already doing, start), brainstorm positive reinforcement reward systems
  • Take daily notes (even if minimal) in order to get into the habit of checking in with the world. Take pictures/video to illustrate

SIDE QUESTS

• Life: Take photos - I require more pictorial evidence for alibis, progress tracking, promotion, and pleasure
  • Studies: Continue studying ambitious rigging standards for weird, life-supporting art projects
  • Fitness: Self-care - daily foam rolling, monthly massage/PT appts, hot packs

MOTIVATION

Haley Viloria, Sabrina Aganier, Bunny Holmes, Seanna Sharpe, Mike Estee, Karl Gillick

Be the freak you wish to see in the circus ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Mad! There is some - the latest large weird art I worked on is the AMCP. ^_^

Split calendar into commitments (places I will be at the certain time), training (also committed, but easier to see in a different color), and various social calendars for my house, art group, facebook events, and misc. invitations. All but the first two can be hidden by default, making life somewhat less distracting.

Training schedule is (now, officially):

Daily - Casual stretching, some form of sweating (yoga, plyometrics, running...)

Monday - Contortion/handbalancing (two hours), play on hoop

Tuesday - Flight Club (jam in warehome), focus on hoop and pointe

Wednesday - Contortion/handbalancing (two hours), play on hoop

Thursday - Aerial hoop conditioning, ballet/pointe

Friday - Contortion/handbalancing

Saturday - Stretch, miscellaneous active fun

Sunday - Rest, foam roll, solicit massages from friends and lovers

I may switch in an acrobatics/conditioning class and/or a dance class, but this is a good start! Filling in HabitRPG with these now...

• Like 1

Really cool that you make it a priority to get in the right mindset!

Go for it!

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

Thanks Kat and Mad!

Do you think there would be interest in a google hangout hoop/aerial jam? I'm interested in comparing styles and notes with people outside my training bubble!

Lucky me, going to the burn is (relatively) inexpensive when you live in norcal. No plane tickets or remote organization make it sooo much easier. Good luck with your savings!

Saturday evening I performed (sickly) at a half-burnt-down train roundhouse that has been abandoned for decades. My housemate and I rigged up silks and hoop and did a few shows for a Berlin-style renegade. Only my housemates noted my low energy, so that's awesome! Media evidence hopefully to come.

Sunday I kept sleeping off the cold, then lazed around at a park-party and hosted a dinner for my house and art-group. No real training (and ate way too much delicious food), but an excellent way to take a day off.

I second Mad Hatters concern. 9 hours are really hard to manage :)

California has a lot of positive aspects in winter (waaaarmth and fresh fruit) but on major negative aspect in summer ( too hot :onthego: )

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

Sigh, wishful thinking!

San Francisco - our summers are colder than our winters, sometimes! I love the weather here too, especially compared to the northeastern US, where I'm from.

Yesterday was Existential Crisis/ Imposter Syndrome day! Some pep talks from amazing friends that basically amounted to, 'there is no purpose to life, but you'll get over it' helped, as did a healthy dose of contortion endorphins.

11ipzlg.jpg

21end6f.jpg

Circus training is going swimmingly. Yesterday's little crisis of faith + a long chat with my housemate + Mad's Underpants Gnome thought experiment has determined me to more concretely define step 3: Profit, and then write a reasonable series of step 2's to get there. Luckily, this matches with one of my challenge activities, so I'll hop on that today!

Sorry about your meltdown. I wish I had some good advice when it comes to tackling impostor syndrome, but I haven't figured it out myself. But I do think your friends are spot on, and if there's no purpose in life then there's no pressure either and we're free to do whatever we fancy. :) 

And that's a lovely chest stand. I admit I'm kind of jealous now. :P And inspired to get working on phase 2! 

Luckily no meltdown occurred; I just get edgy and distracted when negative thought spirals take hold. If I figure out the human condition, I'll definitely post it here. ;)

Thank you! I'm excited to watch my butt sloooooowly get closer to my head. Someday! Where are you on your backbends? I can film some of my favorite pre-pretzel exercises tonight, if you're interested.

Here's an attempt at filling in some 'Step 2s'. I'm unsure about long-term goals, so I've made short-term 'milestones' to achieve for now.

dlje5g.png

Trying a nice minimalist app to keep track of my non-standard training regimen. On boarding was nice as easy (no yak shaving!), will report back if it is a useful tool.

What do you use for rewards? I'm pretty stumped there as well. Isn't being able to sit on my head its own reward, when I get there?

I'm not very far at all, but I'd love to see a video! :) Honestly I haven't been working hard on the flexy aspect for quite a while as I need to get my strength up to scratch. My teacher doesn't want us to do chest stands until we can deadlift into them and I have a long way to go to be able to do that. To give you an idea of where I'm at here's a picture of an easy bridge I took a few months ago. I can get my foot to my head in king pigeon/front splits but not much further than that.

gallery_19981_601_129813.jpg

Your outline looks solid! I'm not really a rewards person (if I want something I go get it!) but I've seen people treating themselves to an outing they wouldn't normally go to, an activity or class or perhaps an outfit or a toy? Is there maybe something that you secretly want but can't justify? ;)   

I'm with you on rewards - my wants are either attainable, in which case I just go and get them, or require prerequisites that I don't yet have.

What do you mean when you say 'deadlift' into chest stand?

Wall-assisted back stretches from tonight! Make sure to warm up your back before doing them. <3

First do a snake against the wall. Piked hips, arched back, straight arms and legs pushing you into position.

ipRoJlK.png

Then, relax and slide down the wall into a back fold. Bring in your feet and press your hands against the wall, straightening your arms and legs. The activation from the snake before should make this one feel really good!

SbCSbjd.png

Third, put your hands on the ground, about 4-6" away from the wall (or more; mine are too close here). Use your legs to push over your hands to your chest goes into the wall, opening up your shoulders for a full bridge.

RNMifqQ.png

Rinse and repeat as needed. I like to do it at least three times daily. It can also be done on your knees to bring the stretch into the lower and midback more.

When I grow up I want to be bendy just like you. :P Seriously, you're really inspiring me to get to work! 

I've done the second and third stretches before, but I really liked that first one! Felt like I could push quite hard and activate the mid and upper back a fair bit. Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Oh and I mean that we have to do a slow and controlled entry into the chest stand, no rolling or kicking, just lifting with our back muscles with straight legs.

Daw, thanks! Contortion really makes hoop an order of magnitude more fun than it already is!

The snake is awesome in its own right, and double awesome in concert with the back fold. It really gives you good purchase while still being in complete control (unlike pretzel).

Your teacher wants you to deadlift into cheststand *first*? Wow, that seems... really difficult. Like learning handstand press-up before kicking up into one. We usually either roll or lower down from a forearm/handstand. How are you preparing for the deadlift?

Rehearsal today was rough. Four hours with some pretty difficult material, conceptually and physically. We're doing a version of Ovid's Metamorphoses and it is... really dark. Also en pointe.

Some pictures from Saturday's show:

EssYxmK.jpg

5Cdyb8d.jpg

The class is very strength heavy - lots of supermans, "pulling" into cobra, lifting into chest stands as far as we can and also rolling into them, but without actually staying in the position. I can't tell whether she's overly strict or not though. Objectively I'm inclined to agree that it's a much safer way to do things (especially because my body is kind of... floppy), subjectively I think it sucks because it's going to take me a really long time before I'll get there haha. :P 

The rehearsal might have been rough but your description makes it sound like a really cool piece! I'm sure it'll be worth it. :)

You two are sooooo bendy! I mean... flexible.

Woar!

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

28%
28%

-1%
-1%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines