Cutting Body Fat

I'm a 32 f looking for advice.  I've always struggled with weight, and have never been a very fit person. I've been lifting for while now however, and it's going well, feeling stronger, very happy with my improvements in the strength department.  I decided initially to focus on just getting stronger, but now I feel like it's time to take the next step and really try to loose the body fat.

I'm mostly interested to hear what type of lifting routine people have followed while cutting weight.  I plan to reduce my calories and increase my cardio.  Up until now I've been lifting and doing light cardio about 4-6 days per week.  I know its difficult (or impossible?) to gain strength while eating at a deficit, so I'm just not sure how much I should continue to focus on lifting.

Also any tips on keeping mentally strong while eating less would be great!  I feel ready to commit to eating healthy, but I know I tend to overeat when stressed, tired, emotional, etc.  

Mostly I'm curious what has worked for other people.  I feel like I have a plan, but I need to a little confidence boost to help me stick with it and reach my goals. 

Thanks for any advice or words of wisdom!

I started lifting on Dec. 23rd, started cutting in February and do stronglifts.

I've lost 4% body fat since I started cutting and have lost 13lbs.  I've increased every lift of mine in this time frame and have worked through plateaus.  I have gotten stronger on a cut.

As for being mentally strong - I'm not.  I grocery shop after eating dinner so I'm not shopping on an empty stomach and then I just don't buy snacks.  When I put food on my plate, I use a smaller plate.  It's entirely a mental game there.  On a big plate, food portions look so much smaller so I'd load more up to appeal to my eyes.  On a smaller plate, that same small looking portion takes up a lot more plate space and keeps me from loading more food.  Add in a spinach/almond milk/strawberry/bananna/flax seed smoothie with dinner and BOOM - feel fuller, with more nutrition in me, with smaller portions and fewer calories.

• Like 1

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

If you want to lose fat, and keep your muscle you need to do three things. Eat a caloric deficit, eat enough protein, and strength train.

How much of a deficit? I do not know your weight or bodyfat, but probably ~500 calories under your TDEE.

How much protein? Opinions differ greatly, but I personally shoot for 1g per lb of lean body mass.

How much strength training? Enough to tax your muscles every time maybe 3-4 times a week.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to keep lifting, I really enjoy it far more than cardio.  The only way I managed to stay committed to exercise in the first place was to focus on strength  instead of focusing on losing weight or looking better.  I'm hoping to stay motivated even though my goals will be shifting towards weight loss. . .

I've yet to calculate my caloric needs or what my deficit will be. . .still researching and trying to get a plan in place before I start.  I've never counted calories before so this will be new to me.

If you want to lose fat, and keep your muscle you need to do three things. Eat a caloric deficit, eat enough protein, and strength train.

How much of a deficit? I do not know your weight or bodyfat, but probably ~500 calories under your TDEE.

How much protein? Opinions differ greatly, but I personally shoot for 1g per lb of lean body mass.

How much strength training? Enough to tax your muscles every time maybe 3-4 times a week.

^^^^ worked for me.  Also, I did cardio.  All types of cardio.  If you go the cardio route, long slow cardio is really good for this.  Long bike rides, long brisk walks.  Or you could do some intervals and sprints - great as finishers to your lifting but less burn potential for weight loss. 

Body builders and fighters who need to drop weight use cardio all the time.  It's tried and true.  But if you hate it, dial in the diet.

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Definitely keep lifting! I don't have any resources off the top of my head, but some say lifting is better than cardio for weight loss. Plus it helps you retain some of your muscle mass, so you look better while you're losing :)

I hate cutting. Hate hate hate. But I seem to do well with counting calories, even though it's a gigantic pain in the ass. I use MyFitnessPal to count and track.

One word of warning if you do go with MFP (I don't know if other websites/apps have this problem): set your goals manually. MFP generally sets both calories and protein goals too low.

How do I stay strong? I use tricks as well, and make sure I get plenty of protein and fat. I don't have a problem with snacking generally, and the protein + fat combo helps keep me full.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

^^^^ worked for me.  Also, I did cardio.  All types of cardio.  If you go the cardio route, long slow cardio is really good for this.  Long bike rides, long brisk walks.  Or you could do some intervals and sprints - great as finishers to your lifting but less burn potential for weight loss. 

Body builders and fighters who need to drop weight use cardio all the time.  It's tried and true.  But if you hate it, dial in the diet.

While I don't disagree with cline, I do not think cardio is required for fat loss. The three things I listed are required with cardio being optional. So, if there are time contraints and you only have time for 3 workouts a week, I'd do all strength training...

• Like 1

Look up BMR and TDEE. Those will give you your approximate calorie needs at your current weight. BMR is if you did nothing but sleep all day; it's the energy your body uses to do things like breathe and pump blood through your veins. TDEE includes actual waking activities. 

Generally, depending of course on how overweight you are, people tend to start with a ~500 calorie per day deficit. Multiply that by 7 days, and that's 3500 calories a week - roughly a pound of fat. If you're more overweight, you may be able to start with a larger deficit; if you're less overweight, a smaller one.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

came in to say this.

Cardio will help with the calorie deficit. I pretty much only do cardio while cutting- I don't enjoy it enough outside of dancing to go out of my way to do it- but I am an eternal fat kid- which means if I can find a way to cut AND still have my ice cream and oreo's I'm ALLLLL ABOUT IT. It means I get to eat more- so I add it in 2-3 times a week.  stair master and jump rope are my frienimey's LOL

So yeah- deficit- cardio or no cardio is up to you and your preference. 

• Like 1