• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Salubrious Spring Strength Skirmish! May 26th-June 9th, 2014

How do you know what weight to start with? How much so you increase each attempt?

It kinda depends what you're lifting right now.

For example, are you already squatting? If so how much and for how many reps?

Let's say you are doing a workout  3 sets of 5 reps at 50kg you might want to do a warm up then try to hit 55, 65, 75 something like that. But if you got the 55 but it felt really hard you might only go to 58 or 60, make more gradual jumps. 

I'm not particularly accomplished or experienced compared to the other guys here but the 1RM tests I've done recently have been pyramid so I'll do 5 reps at 50, 4 at 60, 3 at 70, 2 at 80, 1 at 90 (1RM test starts here), 1 at 100, 1 at 105. Works for me but everyone will have their own strategy ;)

I test 1RM's every few months and have tested squat, bench and DL in the last 2 weeks (all 3 massive PR's :D ) I usually test with a coach but I might have a go at home, see how things go over next 2 weeks. I'm coming back from an abductor tear, physio was horrified when I told him I'd 1RM tested DL and got a 25kg PR..oops :lol:

P.S. I'm mainly interested in competing with @Wovercast for Ranger honors :P

• Like 2

How do you know what weight to start with? How much so you increase each attempt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there is an article in the knowledge base or I'll write some later

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I believe there is an article in the knowledge base or I'll write some later

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hopefully wildross writes one, but my and many other's rule of thumb is that the first attempt is something you can triple to make sure you get something on the board. Second is something you will get 90% of the time, I like going for something around 95% of what I think my 1RM is. Third is a judgement call from what the second felt like. If it was easier, you go for a bigger jump than if it was hella hard. My goal with the third is usually a small PR. I didn't do this with squats last meetup because I wanted my PR so bad I went for it on the second, ended up missing it on both the second and third attempts, and ended with a much lower number than I should have. Regret not doing something more intermediate on attempt two.

• Like 1

Hopefully wildross writes one, but my and many other's rule of thumb is that the first attempt is something you can triple to make sure you get something on the board. Second is something you will get 90% of the time, I like going for something around 95% of what I think my 1RM is. Third is a judgement call from what the second felt like. If it was easier, you go for a bigger jump than if it was hella hard. My goal with the third is usually a small PR. I didn't do this with squats last meetup because I wanted my PR so bad I went for it on the second, ended up missing it on both the second and third attempts, and ended with a much lower number than I should have. Regret not doing something more intermediate on attempt two.

That's basically what I was going to write. So much depends on your confidence with the lift and with bailing if you don't make it, whether you have spotter you trust, etc. The one thing that ALWAYS happens for first timers is that they surprise themselves with what they can do. First attempt should definitely be something that you've been working out with regularly.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

In... of course.

Oh you know I'm in for this! First bench session of the comp will be the 27th. Time to bring it!

You changed your name again!?  Haha..

Another comment for first timers. If you get a spotter, make sure they understand what you want them to do. They are not there to help you. They are there to help you get the bar back to the rack once _you_ know you can't make it. Agree with them on how you will tell them that you're done. Preferrably have them spot you at least once before you try a max rep.

Lots of 'spotters' want to become 'helpers'.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If possible just bench in a power rack. It makes it so there is no spotter needed, and provided you bench with even a subtle arch the safety pins will be set high enough to protect your face from a drop out of the hooks. I don't know of many spotters that are fast or strong enough to catch a drop from the hooks.

If possible just bench in a power rack. It makes it so there is no spotter needed, and provided you bench with even a subtle arch the safety pins will be set high enough to protect your face from a drop out of the hooks. I don't know of many spotters that are fast or strong enough to catch a drop from the hooks.

A lot of people don't know how to set those pins right for this purpose. And like you alluded to, sine don't arch. Even setting that way doesn't protect my face.

For a max effort, the spotter should be helping you unrack and guide the bar into the starting position.after the rep is done, they should be helping you back into the rack.

The pins don't protect your face with an arch? The first time I did it I rolled the bar back and it cleared mine by about 2" and that was when I was just arching by pinning my scapulae together and down, which everyone should do whether they are a powerlifter or Crossfitter.

Since I always train solo at home I had to figure out how to get by without a spotter and a handoff. To each his own, I guess.

Edit

For those wanting to try it... Set up on the bench with some degree of arch and bring the bare bar down to wherever you touch. Now look side to side and see about where the bar is in reference to holes in the rack. Set the pins there and try again. You want to be able to touch without touching the pins, but collapse your arch and set the bar on them. It's no harder than figuring out where to set pins for squatting.

Edit #2

Sorry for the derail. Carry on with your business, everyone.

My first idea was to join in on this the next time around, since I am hard pressed to fit in a serious attempt in the time period. But I changed my mind =) And will end next Tuesdays Gym session with my totals session. Since I have just lowered my working sets for Strong Lifts I figure that this one time, I can use that as my "warm up". 

So I am in! I will fill in the spread sheet now with an approximate weight and then update to actual numbers on Tuesday!

• Like 1

I'm debating how far I'm going to push my new squat form. Not sure if the muscles being worked more than my old form can handle me going for a PR yet, but it feels so good, I wanna try.

Aw yeah, this will be fun practice for when I eventually compete in an actual powerlifting meet. My dream. :')

Is there a strategy for picking the numbers you want to attempt for the lifts? I would think the opener is something you know you can do and is a little sub max, the second attempt is close to your max, and your third would be a PR?

Aw yeah, this will be fun practice for when I eventually compete in an actual powerlifting meet. My dream. :')

Is there a strategy for picking the numbers you want to attempt for the lifts? I would think the opener is something you know you can do and is a little sub max, the second attempt is close to your max, and your third would be a PR?

Check out Gainsdalf's post. It's very helpful.

But make sure your first attempt is something you can hit for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk