Warm up

3x40

Work sets

5x45

3x50

10x55

First set last

1x45

I hate deadlifts. There I said it. They kill my hands. It's really frustrating because I know my muscles can do more. The sets of 10 on my last two sessions show that I have plenty in the tank, but the pain in my hands is stopping me adding more weight or volume. This session I couldn't even manage 5 reps on my first set last set, I barely got the single :( I'm already using liquid chalk on my hands. 

Overhead Press

Work sets

5x20

3x20

4x22.5

Joker

0x25

First set last

3x5x20

Missed my joker :( My hands were still stinging from deadlifts, and that did hold me back on the press.

So that's the end of cycle 1! I'm already feeling stronger. 

I decided on a new course of action for my diet. Cutting, either gradually or cold turkey, the sweet foods I crave simply never works for me. At best I manage a few days before falling back on old habits. My best stretch in recent years without soda is 3 weeks. So a new approach is required.... Instead of consciously trying to cut those sweet foods and drinks, I'm going to focus on INCREASING my protein intake. I need to do so anyway to complement my lifting, but I'm hoping that the side effect of me feeling fuller will then lead to me reaching for sugary snacks less.

I tried kale for the first time yesterday. I wasn't impressed! I'll try juicing it instead of having it as a salad and see if that's any better. I just watched an interesting documentary about so-called superfoods, it was the first in a series, and it looked at kale, xylitol and grapefruit. Turns out grapefruit really does have a chemical that burns fat, but in order to benefit from it you'd have to eat 40 grapefruits in a singe sitting lol! Xylitol rocks, which I already knew. I've given xylitol sweets to my kids before and have a bag of the stuff to use in place of sugar, but it tastes really odd. I keep meaning to make my own toothpaste with it. Must get on that. As for kale, it's great for the eyes.

So, bring on the meat and eggs! Good job I can never get sick of my own home made quiche ;)

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com

3rd July

Cycle 1, Week 3, Day 2

Deadlift

Warm up

3x40

Work sets

5x45

3x50

10x55

First set last

1x45

I hate deadlifts. There I said it. They kill my hands. It's really frustrating because I know my muscles can do more. The sets of 10 on my last two sessions show that I have plenty in the tank, but the pain in my hands is stopping me adding more weight or volume. This session I couldn't even manage 5 reps on my first set last set, I barely got the single :( I'm already using liquid chalk on my hands. 

Overhead Press

Work sets

5x20

3x20

4x22.5

Joker

0x25

First set last

3x5x20

Missed my joker :( My hands were still stinging from deadlifts, and that did hold me back on the press.

So that's the end of cycle 1! I'm already feeling stronger. 

I decided on a new course of action for my diet. Cutting, either gradually or cold turkey, the sweet foods I crave simply never works for me. At best I manage a few days before falling back on old habits. My best stretch in recent years without soda is 3 weeks. So a new approach is required.... Instead of consciously trying to cut those sweet foods and drinks, I'm going to focus on INCREASING my protein intake. I need to do so anyway to complement my lifting, but I'm hoping that the side effect of me feeling fuller will then lead to me reaching for sugary snacks less.

I tried kale for the first time yesterday. I wasn't impressed! I'll try juicing it instead of having it as a salad and see if that's any better. I just watched an interesting documentary about so-called superfoods, it was the first in a series, and it looked at kale, xylitol and grapefruit. Turns out grapefruit really does have a chemical that burns fat, but in order to benefit from it you'd have to eat 40 grapefruits in a singe sitting lol! Xylitol rocks, which I already knew. I've given xylitol sweets to my kids before and have a bag of the stuff to use in place of sugar, but it tastes really odd. I keep meaning to make my own toothpaste with it. Must get on that. As for kale, it's great for the eyes.

So, bring on the meat and eggs! Good job I can never get sick of my own home made quiche ;)

Protein shakes? Homemade Chocolate protein cookies/flapjacks? ;)

As for the deadlifts, it may be a good idea to invest in some deadlift straps to allow you to continue working the larger muscles after the hands/grip have started to struggle.

Level 0 Warrior

Amateur Powerlifter, Cricket nerd, Geek.

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

Protein shakes? Homemade Chocolate protein cookies/flapjacks? ;)

As for the deadlifts, it may be a good idea to invest in some deadlift straps to allow you to continue working the larger muscles after the hands/grip have started to struggle.

Bleugh! The flapjacks I could get on board with though ;)

Yeah, straps sound like a good idea.

• Like 1

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com