Need liver recipe

What kind of liver?

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Good choice.

My utility type dish with venison liver which is very close, is just a thick slice, cubed, sauteed with three strips of bacon and some shallots or an onion. I use butter, but coconut oil could certainly be subbed. If you have the time deglaze with red wine and reduce it for this thick, irony, winey sauce to drizzle over it. It ends up looking atrocious, but it's really yummy.

If you want to go fancy, then the must-have is some type of pate. I've never done a wheat and dairy free pate, but I'd imagine using rice and bacon grease instead of crackers and butter would be a game changer. Basically just add sauteed liver, an egg, fried bacon, some starch (rice or crackers), and some fat (bacon grease or butter), and some booze (red wine, brandy, bourbon, etc...) to a food processor and spin it. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic. I always add some of my homemade fermented chili paste as well. It is insanely calorie dense, so certainly not a staple meal, but it borders on orgasmic.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Good choice.

My utility type dish with venison liver which is very close, is just a thick slice, cubed, sauteed with three strips of bacon and some shallots or an onion. I use butter, but coconut oil could certainly be subbed. If you have the time deglaze with red wine and reduce it for this thick, irony, winey sauce to drizzle over it. It ends up looking atrocious, but it's really yummy.

I agree with this! Mum made it for us when we were kids and called it "brown meat and bacon" we loved it until we found out what brown meat was haha

Level 1 Adventurer

Race: Human/Hobbit

Current stats: STR-1  DEX-1  STA-2  CON-1  WIS-2  CHA-3

Current Challenge

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Distance to Rivendell

0%
0%

The only way I've ever been able to eat liver is run through a food processor, then mixed with ground beef and seasonings to make burgers or meatloaf or tacos or whatever. I usually just take dessicated liver tablets... but, my husband loves liver with bacon and onions!

I saw this recipe a few days ago and noted it mentally to try later.  It's 1/3 ground meat, 1/3 ground bacon, and 1/3 ground liver, made into hamburger patties.  It sounds amazing.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/02/505050-burgers.html

I saw this recipe a few days ago and noted it mentally to try later.  It's 1/3 ground meat, 1/3 ground bacon, and 1/3 ground liver, made into hamburger patties.  It sounds amazing.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/02/505050-burgers.html

Having it ground with other stuff might make it a little easier to try for the first time. Plus it still has the bacon factor

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've been sauteeing it with garlic and salt in butter and eating it with eggs for breakfast once a week. I'm getting very fond of the flavor.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

So far, the best I can do is eat little frozen bits of the beef liver I got with my whole cow last year. I know its good for me, I just can't get over the thought of cooking with it.

I ended up mixing it in with my hamburger. This seemed easier than just cooking it. It blended really well with the ground beef.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I used to cut it into slices & dip in flour breading. don't know what paleos use to add crunch to meat, haven't gotten that far yet. :playful:

it was lotsa butter (I'd use Olive Oil these days) brown up the onions. Take the onions out of the pan & cook breaded strips in onion flavor oil. just called it "liver& onions" consumed w/ lotsa catsup!

(that sounds good... maybe I need to go  buy some liver... hungry  :onthego:  )

I've never tried it with bacon - I would think that would mask the flavor of the liver... (which is what the catsup is for.... )

it has its own flavor & texture. kinda unique.

ADVENTURER

now

The way we've always made liver, and I very much like it, is to make sure you've got it into fairly thin (1/4 inch or so for preference) steaks/fillets or cut it down yourself.  Dip it into egg and then bread by rolling in crackers crushed down to a powder. We generally use saltines, but I imagine whatever you prefer will work.  You're aiming for something fairly bland, though, and you'll need a bit of salt if the crackers don't have it on it's own. 

Fry over relatively low heat (about what you'd use for an egg after if intentionally breaking the yolk, maybe a bit lower. Best served with onions or bacon. 

Level 2 Werebear Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 3 | Con: 4 | Wis: 1 | Cha: 1

Challenges: Past 1; Current

My Trip to Mordor. 

3.44%
3.44%

I make my liver into meatloaves (..liverloaves?). 5:3 seared beef liver:ground pork/beef, some caramellized onions, pepper, salt, multigrain breadcrumbs, a bit egg. Pulse in food processor. (I could give you a recipe but a lot of these are 'to taste')

Bake until done, cut into slices, freeze. To eat I microwave the slice and pan-cook with soysauce and a bit sugar.

alicata ♦ changeling
intro | prologue | chapter I

For beef liver, I would fry up some onions in fat, dredge the liver in flour, (nut flour would probably work,) brown the outside, then pour in a bit of liquid and reduce the heat.  For chicken livers, I would rinse it, lay it in a cold pan, and gradually bring up the heat while covered.  I recommend slow heat and adding a bit of apple juice halfway through.

There is also grinding it up as a condiment, but I'm not sure how it would be with gluten-free bread or crackers.

I haven't tried this yet, but maybe cooked with mushrooms, bacon, and diced apple?  Another thing to try is small amounts of liver taken with mouthfuls of lettuce.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I usually make beef liver grilled on a skillet, plain. Sometimes I'll add some rosemary and might finish it off with a splash of red wine or balsamic vinegar. Recently I tried grinding it and mixing it with ground beef meat for burgers. It was alright, but I forgot liver tastes pretty bitter and I used equal amounts of meat and liver. Next time I'd reduce the liver analogy and add spices.