[RedPuma] Red Puma Pounces - The Battle Logs

Hi, everybody. I've been biding my time working out and anxiously awaiting the next challenge so I can get my noob on... But that just won't cut it. I want my social exercise peer support NOW! Even if nobody comments on my battle logs, I just feel like I've got to get my efforts out there. After all, I am an extrovert.

Since I usually try to cram as many exercises into my 75 minutes at the gym as I can, I'll not present my logs as a full-on log. Instead, I'll stick to posting commentary on my new PRs and/or frustration with staying at the same weights or deloading. I also started taking Krav Maga classes and may pick up boxing, so there should be a few posts here and there about how I'm doing energy-wise at those exhausting pursuits.

///

STATS

Gender Identity: Female

Weight: ??? will weigh in today at new gym's scale

Height: 65.5 inches

Body Fat (calipers): 34%

Bust: 37.5 inches

Waist: 31.25 inches

Hips: 40 inches

PREVIOUS LIFT

American Deadlift: 145lbs. 5-4-3

Bench Press: 75lbs. 5-5-5-5-5

Squat: 110lbs. 5-5-5-5-5

Hip Thrusts: 145lbs. 5-5-5

Iso-Lateral Row: 100lbs. per arm 5-5-5-5-5

Turkish Getup: 15lbs. 5

Okay... Off to my first (and likely only, since it's free) session ever with a trainer. We'll see what she says.

• Like 1

Level 0 | Amazon | Class = ???

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

LJ Diet Blog

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

2014-05-20 Update:

I weighed myself on the scale at the new gym. UGH! Either this scale is trying to upset me, or the last scale at the old gym was trying to coddle me... 182 lbs..

In other news, I told my trainer about my rugby background, what I've been doing, and she threw her entire arsenal at me.

Burpees w/ medicine ball throws in between.

Assisted pull-ups to failure.

Kettlebell swings.

Bear complexes w/ 40lbs.

Battle ropes.

Tons of intervals of torture.

Basically, hell on Earth.

I'm not sure that I can drop the dollars to continue to be trained by Tina, but I might want to save up for a last push before the Spartan Sprint in September. Maybe I'll do August on overdrive.

• Like 1

LJ Diet Blog

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

I got to the gym after a whole week away with sinus cold/bronchial crapness, and it kinda sucked. I decided to take it easy on myself, since I've been a complete couch potato for the past six days, but even 45 minutes of upper body weights with a 5m warmup was a little horrible. At least I got myself sweating, again, lingering sinus headache be damned.

I didn't love my performance at the bench press: 75lbs. 5-5-5-5-5. I completed the same amount as last time, but it was harder. It really took some huffing and puffing to get to the top of my press at the end of my fourth and fifth sets. :( Also, I didn't have a great plan going in for a shorter workout, so I just did what I could think of: assisted pullups, TRX chest presses and low rows, bicep curls, tricep extensions and... umm... THAT WAS IT. I totally missed opportunities, but am glad that I got back to the gym.

STATS

Weight: 182.5

PREVIOUS LIFT
American Deadlift: 145lbs. 5-4-3
Squat: 110lbs. 5-5-5-5-5

LJ Diet Blog

Lower Body Split Day (also 45m for getting back into the swing of things)

Warmup: 5 minute treadmill jog + 15 lb. kettlebell Turkish getups, 5 each side

Main Routine: squats 115lbs 5-5-5-5-5, alternating reverse lunges w/ 25lb plate 20-20, one-legged suitcase DL w/ 25lb plate 10-10 each leg, American deadlifts 145lbs 5-5-5-5-5

///

Good news for my stats: I weighed in at 180.8! Hopefully, that sticks and proves to me that my slight tweak to my caloric intake is working :)

///

STATS

Weight: 180.8

PREVIOUS LIFT
American Deadlift: 145lbs. 5-5-5-5-5
Squat: 115lbs. 5-5-5-5-5

LJ Diet Blog

Upper Body Split Day + Ab Work 

Warmup: 10 pushups + 8 pushups + 6 pushups*              *I recognize that this was a totally weaksauce warmup. Will do better, next time!

Main Routine**: bench press 80lbs. 5-5-4-4-4, battle ropes 30s. x3, bench press 85lbs. 5-3-2-2 (last set was to failure)   **I actually did many more things including cable rows, Arnold overhead presses, 20lb KB snatches... I just don't want to remember the painful details of that fateful hour.

///

Even more good news for my stats: I weighed in at 178.8! I don't know what's up with the recent 'whoosh' on the scale, but I'm sure it'll even out to like, 1.5-2 pounds per week.

///

STATS

Weight: 178.8
Body Fat (calipers): 32-34% / used different measurement methods and came up with a range

PREVIOUS LIFT
Bench Press: 85lbs. 5-3-2-2
Squat: 115lbs. 5-5-5-5-5

LJ Diet Blog

Lower Body Split Day + Randomry

Warmup: 5m jog on treadmill, 5 assisted pistol squats, each side

Main Routine: squats* 120lbs.-95lbs. 5x5-ish, weighted alternating reverse lunges 25lbs. 20-20, hip thrust 165lbs. 5x5, American deadlift 145lbs. 5-5-4-5-3, 30lb. bear complexes 5x3

Randomry: rock wall climbing for 5m

///

*Regarding the squat: So, I had a pretty crazy day with the squat, but lucky for me my husband was around to monitor my form and give me feedback. Basically, I was having trouble getting ass-to-grass previously with my squat, so I really made an effort to touch my hamstrings to my calves. Unfortunately, 120lbs. was just not working for me. Getting back up was ridiculously hard, and my form was getting wobbly. So, I went from 120lbs. down to 115lbs., but that didn't work very well, either. Husband comes around, we talk. I suck it up and remember that doing a proper squat ain't easy, so I drop my weight down to 95lbs. Ouch. It stung for a second, just how different 120lbs is from 95lbs, in terms of stats. On the other hand, my squat was boss! I nailed it. I. GOT. LOW.

In other news, climbing the weird treadwall rock-climbey thing was super-fun. Knowing that I had upper body split the next day (today!) I didn't overdo it, but it was truly fun. I'm glad my dude was with me, or else I'd never have had the guts to try it out. You know, sometimes you just need a wingman.

treadwall-m4-rock-climbing-wall-lead-537

///

STATS

Body Fat (calipers): 32-34% / used different measurement methods and came up with a range

PREVIOUS LIFT
Squat: 120lbs. 5-1 / 115lbs. 3 / 95lbs. 5-5-5

LJ Diet Blog

Upper Body Split Day + Abs

Warmup: 5m jog on treadmill, 10 full pushups

Main Routine: assisted pull ups w/ 50% bodyweight help 5-4-3-2-1, bench press 85lbs. 4-3-2, alternating bicep curls 22.5lbs. 10x3, bench press 80lbs. 4-3-3-3-3, Arnold presses 22.5lbs. 5x3, cable tricep extensions 35lbs. 5-5-5, captain's chair 10-10-10, burpees (knee pushup style) 5-4-3, swiss ball crunches 10-10-10

///

For some reason, my bench press seemed quite a bit weaker, this morning. I'm not sure if it's diet or what. I'm going to try getting a morning pre-workout protein drink in 60-90m beforehand and see if that helps. It may be the case that I simply need to deload, however.

///

STATS

PREVIOUS LIFT
Bench Press: 85lbs. 4-3-2, bench press 75lbs. 4-3-3-3-3
Squat: 120lbs. 5-1 / 115lbs. 3 / 95lbs. 5-5-5

• Like 1

LJ Diet Blog

Lower Body Split Day

Warmup: 8m of treadwall rock climbing (whew! challenging!)

Main Routine: squats 95lbs. 5x5, American deadlifts 150lbs. 5-4-3-2-1, alternating weighted reverse lunges 25lbs. 20x2, 45-degree weighted hyperextension 10lbs. 10x3, 35lb. kettlebell sumo deadlift 12x2, kettlebell one-legged suitcase deadlift 10x2 each leg, 5 assisted pistol squats each leg

+ stretches for 3m

///

I was feeling pretty tired, today. I tried to get up earlier so that I could at least down a protein shake about 60m before my workout, but since I have to take thyroid medication before eating anything... Well, I'd have to get up at 4:45am to workout at 6:15am. That. Did. Not. Happen. GRRR!

Maybe tomorrow...

///

STATS

PREVIOUS LIFT
American Deadlift: 150lbs. 5-4-3-2-1
Squat: 95lbs. 5x5

LJ Diet Blog

Warmup: 5m climb on treadwall (did I kill it, or did it kill me??? -- I had the wall on a higher "speed" or whatever. SUCK CITY.)

Main Routine: bench press 80lbs. 5x5, alternating bicep curls 20lbs. 10x5, Arnold presses 20lbs. 5x3, cable tricep extensions 35lbs. 10x2, assisted pull ups w/ 47% bodyweight help 5-3-1, KB clean & press 20lbs 2x10 each arm, KB Turkish getups 20lbs 3 per side (!?), KB around-the-world 32lbs. 30s, TRX low inverted rows 8-5-3, captain's chair 3x10, cable woodchoppers 10x3 each side, cable side twists(?) 10x3 each side, tricep dip machine 75lbs. 10x2.

///

I got up extra early so that I could down a protein shake before my workout. Maybe I just didn't get it absorbed fast enough, or whatever. No discernable effect, other than that the possible effect of my bench presses being BOMB today. I am going to move back up to 85 lbs. with a 5-4-3-2-1 at my next upper body split session on Monday! My goal is to get my assisted pull ups down to only 45% bodyweight help next time, and mayhaps I'll beat a 5-4-3-2-1 out of my arms. 

Good news on the stats front, BTW! Lost half an inch each from my bust and from my hips! w00t!

///

STATS

Bust: 37 inches
Hips: 39.5 inches

PREVIOUS LIFT
American Deadlift: 150lbs. 5x5
Bench Press: 80lbs. 5x5

LJ Diet Blog

Lower Body Split Day

Warmup: 5m jog on treadmill; 5 assisted pistol squats, each leg; 

Main Routine: alternating reverse lunges 25lbs. 20x2; squat 95lbs. 5x5; walked w/ 16kg KB in rack position 25yards (right); superset -- 150lbs. American deadlift 5x5 with two arm KB swing (16kg) for 30s in between sets; KB figure 8s 30s; superset -- 155lbs. American deadlift 5-3-1 with one arm KB swing (16kgs) for 30s in between sets; 45-degree hyperextensions with 10lb. medicine ball

///

You know what's totally rad!?!?! Breakfast finally made a difference. The key for me is... drumroll drumroll drumroll OATMEAL! cymbal crash!!! I ate a bowl of Coach's Oats from Costco w/ a bit of stevia, frozen berries and soy milk at about 60m until my workout. Perfection. What is it about the slow carb? Just downed a post-workout Clif Builder's Bar like I haven't eaten in a year. Feelin' good.

Really, though - I performed so much better today - it was AWESOME. 

My squat form is definitely improving. There are mirrors everywhere, but I make sure NOT to look in them at all. It's all about body awareness with the squat, and looking up. Not admiring yourself.

///

STATS

PREVIOUS LIFT
American Deadlift: 150lbs. 5x5 / 155lbs. 5-3-1
Bench Press: 80lbs. 5x5

LJ Diet Blog

I took the last couple of days off as a sort of double rest day. I had a reasonable excuse to do it, but I'm going to make sure that I stick to my schedule as much as possible, from now on.

Warmup: KB one-arm swing 20lbs. 20x2, each arm; KB presses 20lbs. 10x3, each arm

Main Routine: bench press 85lbs. 5-3-3-3-3, alternating bicep curls 20lbs. 10x2, Arnold presses 20lbs. 5x2, assisted pull ups w/ 47% bodyweight help 5-3-1, cable tricep extensions 35lbs. 10x2, swiss ball crunches 20x2, bench press 80lbs. 5-4-3-2-1, captain's chair 3x10, cable woodchoppers 60lbs. 10x3 each side, cable twists 50lbs. 10x3 each side

///

I hit the gym extra early this morning so that I could finish up a project at work. UGH! I could not concentrate on Friday.

For my workout today, I felt like 85lbs was a bit tough, however I am on my way to meeting my fitness benchmark goal for the week of 85lbs. 5-4-3-2-1.  I may even be able to get up to 5x5 with the 85lb load, but don't want to be too confident.

///

STATS

PREVIOUS LIFT
American Deadlift: 150lbs. 5x5 / 155lbs. 5-3-1
Bench Press: 85lbs. 5-3-3-3-3 / 80lbs. 5-4-3-2-1

LJ Diet Blog

Okay, y'all - I've decided to quit posting in my battle log while I do my first challenge. I think it's a more sustainable option for me to track my progress over at my challenge. Maybe I'll be back...?

LJ Diet Blog