[May 20 - September 4] 20 Pound Challenge

This PvP began as a friendly challenge from Super Destroyer to me when we began cutting. As it is the nature of all warriors to compete, several of our guild mates expressed interest. The original challenge spanned two months from May 20 - July 20, but I am changing this PvP to an ongoing one.  Join whenever you like. 20lbs has been set as a the milestone weight, but you lose as much or as little as you want. I, myself, am going for another 20lbs having achieved my initial goal last challenge.

We have been comparing starting weight to final weight only, but if you want to take other measurements or include your body fat % feel free to do so. Weigh-ins are logged on a weekly basis, and the convention that evolved near the end of the original challenge is to log your lowest weight for the week.

All guilds are welcome to participate.

I look forward to cheering each other on and discussing our various weight loss diets, techniques, stories and triumphs!

Participants, goals, and progress will be tracked on the spreadsheet below, compliments of Darwin's Demon:

20 Pound Challenge PvP Spreadsheet

Cheers!

Broba

• Like 1

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

I'm down. I was 186 this morning.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Darwin's Demon:

Starting Weight - 255.0 lbs.

Current Weight - 258.0 lbs.

I hid the next part because I want to keep the challenge accessible and avoid imparting crazy ideas into anyone else's head.

If you want to know why I'm starting lower than current, its in there. And some other stuff that reflects my own (obsessively high) standards for what I'll consider 20 lbs. of loss given my overall health goals.

I'm starting lower than my most current weight because I know that 3-5 lbs. of my weight right now is not from fat. I saw the scale dip as low as 253 last week -- after a day of light eating and not getting much for fluids, and not taking creatine. To keep things honest I'll let you guys know if I drop creatine, because that could get me an easy 3-5 lbs.

I may also penalize myself for pounds that come from lean body mass as I'll also be tracking BF% during the next challenge. I do not want weight loss to interfere with strength and lean mass gains. My most recent calculations put me at 165 lbs. LBM. and about 31% BF... That said, of course I've got 20+ lbs. of fat to lose and it shouldn't affect my lean mass much if at all, but I'm not tracking and accounting for it if I can.

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Welcome, all!

What kind of strategies do you have in mind?

Personally I'm following a diet that I put together using IIFYM: a basic more calories out than in strategy. Keto intrigues me, but I'd rather have the option to eat one cheat meal a week, without having to worry about kick-starting ketosis all over again.

My program has me eating 45% calories from Protein, 40% from Fat, & 15% from Carbs. I'm trying to hold onto as much muscle as I can. I bulked for a challenge and a half and have made some significant gains doing StrongLifts 5x5. However, I have yet to focus on losing fat since joining Nerd Fitness and I know that doing so will do great things for my appearance and health. At 5'10, 240lbs, I'm a pretty big dude.

i'm in. i'll use what i weighed in at last night which was 223. i'll weigh myself again around 8-9 pm(which is when i always weigh in) and if it is lower i will ask to adjust my starting weight, just to keep things honest.

Welcome, all!

What kind of strategies do you have in mind?

Personally I'm following a diet that I put together using IIFYM: a basic more calories out than in strategy. Keto intrigues me, but I'd rather have the option to eat one cheat meal a week, without having to worry about kick-starting ketosis all over again.

My program has me eating 45% Protein, 40% Fat, & 15% Carbs. I'm trying to hold onto as much muscle as I can. I bulked for a challenge and a half and have made some significant gains doing StrongLifts 5x5. However, I have yet to focus on losing fat since joining Nerd Fitness and I know that doing so will do great things for my appearance and health. At 5'10, 240lbs, I'm a pretty big dude.

i've been on keto for a little over 3 months now. what i found easiest was to have 1 cheat day per two weeks. it seemed easier for me to get back into. however, lately i've been doing 1 per week. going to get on the 2 week wagon soon i think. 

p.s. Broba Fett, i love that you quote Hot Rod in your signature. They Live is an underrated movie.

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

p.s. Broba Fett, i love that you quote Hot Rod in your signature. They Live is an underrated movie.

Haha you have good taste my friend.

Seriously... that movie has one of the best fight scenes in cinema, Rod has some great one liners, and the Orwellian message gives it some substance.

• Like 1

Since I'm going to stop with the fuckarounditis and get to it, I am going back to 16/8 IF eating schedule, 120+ grams of protein, and 1700ish calories per day. It's going to be rough on work days since I can't deal with fasted training anymore, but I'll get over it.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

My plan has me at 2144kcal, 240g protein, 96g fat, and 80g carbs. I'm no nutritionist, but using some internet research, I decided to go with the 1g of protein/1g of body weight to aid in the retention of my muscles. IIFYM recommends 0.4g of fat/lb of bodyweight, so I went with that. The rest is carbs. I'm sure there's a better way to do this and any advice is welcome, but as of now, with the amount of weight that I have to lose, being in a caloric deficit is a good place to be.

I am i!.  I was 244 as of yesterday, and I am only 5'6".  I am going to cut until I get to 200, and then decide from there.  I am doing keto, (started yesterday), because it has worked well in the past.  Not counting anything, just recording everything I eat on my challenge thread and my battle log.  The bulk of my carbs will be pre- and post-workout.  Off days will be very low carb.  Deloaded on Madcow and I added 15 min of HIIT on the elliptical, which was 5 sprints today.  I am doing HIIT 3 days a week after I lift.  Good luck to everyone!  (And it is 9 weeks until the end of the next challenge, if we want to go until then)  :)

• Like 1

(And it is 9 weeks until the end of the next challenge, if we want to go until then)   :)

I just modified it to say until the end of the next challenge, which is July 13th by my count.

Reading up on HIIT again.  Found this interesting article.  http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

I've contemplated making HIIT my third fitness goal. I like the program laid out in there.

• Like 1

I'm calorie counting too and trying to keep to mostly clean/natural foods. I'm also going to the gym three times a week and doing HIIT (mostly on the bikes but with some body weight exercises too). Then I skate twice a week for two hours a time too, which burns about 600 calories an hour.

My biggest challenge in this is staying on track and keeping away from alcohol! 20lbs might be a bit optimistic for me but if I get anywhere close, I'll be very very happy.

• Like 5

Haha you have good taste my friend.

Seriously... that movie has one of the best fight scenes in cinema, Rod has some great one liners, and the Orwellian message gives it some substance.

haha agreed. that's what makes/made him so great... the one liners. Hell comes to Frogtown wasn't too bad either

still at 223 last night too

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

I'm calorie counting too and trying to keep to mostly clean/natural foods. I'm also going to the gym three times a week and doing HIIT (mostly on the bikes but with some body weight exercises too). Then I skate twice a week for two hours a time too, which burns about 600 calories an hour.

My biggest challenge in this is staying on track and keeping away from alcohol! 20lbs might be a bit optimistic for me but if I get anywhere close, I'll be very very happy.

Booze will be a struggle. My wife likes her after work wine and usually wants to share the bottle. She knows my fitness goals, but always tries to tempt me with "just a sip won't affect your diet". Just a sip usually turns into more, so it's best that I avoid it all together. The bigger issue is that we're very social with our friend group and that always involves copious amounts of alcohol. I guess I'll just start having to make mine a double water on the rocks with lime.

haha agreed. that's what makes/made him so great... the one liners. Hell comes to Frogtown wasn't too bad either

I haven't seen that one. I'll have to check it out.

Booze will be a struggle. My wife likes her after work wine and usually wants to share the bottle. She knows my fitness goals, but always tries to tempt me with "just a sip won't affect your diet". Just a sip usually turns into more, so it's best that I avoid it all together. The bigger issue is that we're very social with our friend group and that always involves copious amounts of alcohol. I guess I'll just start having to make mine a double water on the rocks with lime.

I haven't seen that one. I'll have to check it out.

if you like B films then you should enjoy it. 

I'm in! I just happened to have weighed myself this morning (to see how much poor diet has cost me over the last couple weeks).

Starting weight 252.4.

Current weight ... same.

Boba Fett ... I'm 5'6" and 252 lbs ... 4" short, 12 lbs wider ... I have a intimate understanding of "big dude".

My strategy for the challenge we're in right now has been SL5x5, interval cardio 3x per week and 80% paleo. I lost 12 lbs then lost control of my diet and gained 2 back. I was thinking of dropping the cardio after the challenge but I think this PvP will necessitate keeping it.

20 lbs ... down to 232 lbs ... I have not seen that weight in over 15 years! 

• Like 1

Challenges: Current:Quilaho's L1 Challenge

Battle Log:Q's Warrior Path

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

LinkedIn | TwitterFacebook

Please send me a message here at NF if you are going to send a request

I'm in! I just happened to have weighed myself this morning (to see how much poor diet has cost me over the last couple weeks).

Starting weight 252.4.

Current weight ... same.

Boba Fett ... I'm 5'6" and 252 lbs ... 4" short, 12 lbs wider ... I have a intimate understanding of "big dude".

My strategy for the challenge we're in right now has been SL5x5, interval cardio 3x per week and 80% paleo. I lost 12 lbs then lost control of my diet and gained 2 back. I was thinking of dropping the cardio after the challenge but I think this PvP will necessitate keeping it.

Welcome to the 5'6" 2 hundred and something club! Good to have some one else I can relate to. :) I started at 314 last May and tipped the scales this morning at 240. Looking forward to cheering you on!

• Like 3

Welcome to the 5'6" 2 hundred and something club! Good to have some one else I can relate to. :) I started at 314 last May and tipped the scales this morning at 240. Looking forward to cheering you on!

that's an incredible loss! i'm cheering for both of you.

guess i forgot to put all my stats.

i'm at 6' 223lbs. 

• Like 1

I started at 270 on Jan 1 with a new years resolution to just loose 1 lbs a week. I'm on track but it's been a stop and go ride. Not a lot of up and downs, fortunately, just stop and go it seems.

• Like 1

Challenges: Current:Quilaho's L1 Challenge

Battle Log:Q's Warrior Path

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

LinkedIn | TwitterFacebook

Please send me a message here at NF if you are going to send a request

To keep things simple for me, let's do a "Sunday Weigh-In", each Sunday until the end of the challenge. I'll update the OP stats using those weights. Feel free to post your daily numbers if you want (I've noticed some of you are rocking the progress bar :D), but do me a favor and post your end of the week weight on Sunday, if possible. Thanks!

• Like 3

Starting weight 252.4.

Current weight ... same.

Your routine is similar to what I have planned for the next challenge, except instead of paleo, I'll simply be in a caloric deficit. I wish you well on this!

I was down to 219 back in January, before I started the now infamous bulk. I put on 25 lbs in 18 weeks. I plan on that all being gone by the end of this challenge!

Wow, SD, I didn't realize how far you had come. Impressive. 219 is my 20lb goal, coincidentally.

I started at 270 on Jan 1 with a new years resolution to just loose 1 lbs a week. I'm on track but it's been a stop and go ride. Not a lot of up and downs, fortunately, just stop and go it seems.

You have made some great progress, then. Congratulations!

I started back doing high intensity interval training as well. Don't like it, but it is highly rewarding.

• Like 1