[May 20 - September 4] 20 Pound Challenge

BF, I don't actually own scales, so my weigh ins will have to be on Mondays. Sorry. (Maybe I will buy some scales....)

That's cool, it's more that I'll update everyone's stats once a week. I'll check for yours on Monday.

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

I was down to 219 back in January, before I started the now infamous bulk. I put on 25 lbs in 18 weeks. I plan on that all being gone by the end of this challenge!

i have no doubts that you'll make it either

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

I am in!  As of  Sunday, I was 248.2 lbs, as of the last 18 years I have been 6'4".  Looking forward to it!  After some nudging by Super Destroyer I will be joining the Warriors and starting the StrongLifts 5x5 program, from about 50% of 5 Rep maximum on all exercises.  I have been following about 90% Paleo since Feb, and have lost over 30 lbs since then...sticking with that for now!  Let's get to work!

• Like 5

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

Soooo... I'd love to join, but 20 pounds is way too much for me. 

What if I just want to lose 10 pounds?   :(

I really want to join, but being 140 would be more than I would ever want to lose.

That's cool, make it 10! Do whatever you want to do to join in the fun. 20 is for us who can afford to lose it.

• Like 1

I am in!  As of  Sunday, I was 248.2 lbs, as of the last 18 years I have been 6'4".  Looking forward to it!  After some nudging by Super Destroyer I will be joining the Warriors and starting the StrongLifts 5x5 program, from about 50% of 5 Rep maximum on all exercises.  I have been following about 90% Paleo since Feb, and have lost over 30 lbs since then...sticking with that for now!  Let's get to work!

Welcome, VTSPE772! I've become a lot stronger doing SL 5x5 for the past 12 weeks, I'm sure you'll see results as well. Nice recruitment work, SD! The more warriors, the better! :D

• Like 1

So I had a longer, more detailed and yet somehow eloquent post on my strategy, but then my advisor came up from behing to ask me about science, and in the effort to cover up my lack of sciencing when I'm supposed to be sciencing I switched to my email by hitting my bookmark link instead of the tab and lost my previous post... double FAIL...

Anywho... here are the bullet points:

Workout: Strength train (SL)Ice Cream 3x5 three times a week. followed by 10-20 min HIIT + additional bursts of 20 min. HIIT on other days as time permits. In addition I typically walk or bike 2 miles a day to and from work.

Diet: Ketogenic Diet with 37% caloric deficit, 2337 cals, 30:60:10% PRO:FAT:CHO split. (5% CHO on rest days, 10% CHO on strength training days)

I used this calculator to get those numbers. r/ketogains comes up with the same. I'll be tracking with MFP as usual. I'm also tracking measurment and BF% and may dial back if I see good evidence of lean mass loss.

I am going at this hard.

Other support:

Drinking lots of fluids >= 128 oz. /day, diluted zero cal gatorade/powerade added.

TKD -- targeted ketogenic diet -- small carb ups, ~150 cal before workouts, hence the 10% on workout days

Creatine 5g /day -- more ATP in the muscles

Cellucor C4 Extreme -- a preworkout supplement I've take a liking to... has Caffeine, Creatine, Arginine, and B and C vitamins and isn't too full of snake oil.

Recovery -- Fish oil, vitamin D, calcium/magnesium, foam rolling

This thread.

• Like 4

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

That is some awesome progress! It will be cool to see how much combined fat we end up losing for this challenge. I think we will get at least equal to one 200 lb person.

This thread is already blowing up.

Oh! Funny story before I forget, my MFP phone app was totally judging my for my ketogenic diet meal choices. It prints off these intentionally encouraging or guiding, but sometimes passive aggressively judgy messages..

I enter ... MFP says

2 cups of kale ... "This food is high in vitamin C. Great choice!"

4 eggs ... "This food is high in protein. Good work!"

2 tbs. butter ... "This food has x calories from fat. Your goal today is y."

1 tbs. of coconut oil ... "In case you were unaware, this food is high in saturated fat."

LOL!

• Like 3

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

LOL @ Judgmental MFP

I'll calculate the total weight lost at the end of the challenge. It will be epic.

• Like 2

LOL @ Judgmental MFP

I'll calculate the total weight lost at the end of the challenge. It will be epic.

all the poundage!!!

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

My weigh-ins are always on Monday morning. It's after any inflammation and subsequent water retention should have passed from the previous week's training, and obviously before I've eaten.

Anyone concerned with not making strength gains while cutting weight, put that worry out of your mind. While cutting weight off and on over the past couple months, while training Westside, I've gone from 335 to 360 on my squat, and 405 to 415 on my deadlift, at 186 pounds. On the cut before that I went from a 5rm on my squat of 225 to 275 while cutting from 202 to 184. I'm due for my first double bodyweight squat on Friday. My upper body movements haven't budged, but that isn't surprising. Consumption doesn't make them go up either.

• Like 2

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

My weigh-ins are always on Monday morning. It's after any inflammation and subsequent water retention should have passed from the previous week's training, and obviously before I've eaten.

Anyone concerned with not making strength gains while cutting weight, put that worry out of your mind. While cutting weight off and on over the past couple months, while training Westside, I've gone from 335 to 360 on my squat, and 405 to 415 on my deadlift, at 186 pounds. On the cut before that I went from a 5rm on my squat of 225 to 275 while cutting from 202 to 184. I'm due for my first double bodyweight squat on Friday. My upper body movements haven't budged, but that isn't surprising. Consumption doesn't make them go up either.

Good to know, as I've been a bit concerned about that.

What's your take on doing HIIT in addition to a heavy lifting program and a caloric deficit? I'd like to attack the fat from all angles, but could I be overworking my legs?

totally jealous of your deadlift and weight. 

I am in! As of Sunday, I was 248.2 lbs, as of the last 18 years I have been 6'4". Looking forward to it! After some nudging by Super Destroyer I will be joining the Warriors and starting the StrongLifts 5x5 program, from about 50% of 5 Rep maximum on all exercises. I have been following about 90% Paleo since Feb, and have lost over 30 lbs since then...sticking with that for now! Let's get to work!

Welcome! You and I have so much in common in regards to motivation and strategy. I've pretty much settled in on Warriors, too, now. I'm love'n the strength training more than any exercise I've ever done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Challenges: Current:Quilaho's L1 Challenge

Battle Log:Q's Warrior Path

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

LinkedIn | TwitterFacebook

Please send me a message here at NF if you are going to send a request

@Broba Fett: I've never used conditioning to cut weight. Some people have great results with it. I hate conditioning work. When I'm feeling especially fresh when I have no business not feeling like dogshit I'll load up my farmer's handles with 140 pounds and go for a walk, but that's as much conditioning work as I do. I'm planning on doing a strongman comp in August, so provided things don't get in the way I'll have to up my carrying capacity. That said, I'll be using it to get better at carrying things, not to cut more weight. I'm a big fan of using tools for what they are best at, not what they can potentially do. I've never had a need to use more than diet to get the fat off.

kzacher: Sure, but I have a Bieber-worthy bench. I'm just built to pick shit up off the floor, although my squat is catching up to my deadlift quick, and I'm not exactly sure why.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Oooh... I have 20.2 pounds to lose until my goal weight of 150. Count me in! I weigh in on Tuesday mornings, and yesterday I was 170.2.

• Like 3

Level 1 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 0.5 | DEX 0.5 | STA 2 | CON 0.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Current Challenge: britne's newbie quest!

About me | Find me: RunKeeper | WeightTraining | DGCourseReview | GeocachingSteam | tumblr | Clash of Clans: Melisende

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one." - The Eleventh Doctor

Goal: Lose 68 pounds (from 218.6 to 150) - Currently: 170.2 - Progress:

71.2%
71.2%

Maybe since people have different weigh in times and dates that they prefer, we could do a Google spreadsheet thing just to keep it organized. All Broba would have to do is post a link in the first post. All weights progress etc. would be kept there, and at most Broba can keep up a weekly leader board if he likes.

I'd be happy to set up the spreadsheet.

• Like 3

--Stronkey Kong--

Soooo... I'd love to join, but 20 pounds is way too much for me. 

What if I just want to lose 10 pounds?   :(

I really want to join, but being 140 would be more than I would ever want to lose.

Based on that post I put you down for a starting weight of 160.0lbs. Let me know if I should change it.

Maybe since people have different weigh in times and dates that they prefer, we could do a Google spreadsheet thing just to keep it organized. All Broba would have to do is post a link in the first post. All weights progress etc. would be kept there, and at most Broba can keep up a weekly leader board if he likes.

I'd be happy to set up the spreadsheet.

I'm glad that I have your brains on my side. By all means, spreadsheet away!

• Like 1

Based on that post I put you down for a starting weight of 160.0lbs. Let me know if I should change it.

I am at 163 right now.  I gained just a touch over the weekend....

I like the weekly weigh in.  I obsess too much on a daily basis.

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.

Current Challenge

@Broba Fett: I've never used conditioning to cut weight. Some people have great results with it. I hate conditioning work. When I'm feeling especially fresh when I have no business not feeling like dogshit I'll load up my farmer's handles with 140 pounds and go for a walk, but that's as much conditioning work as I do. I'm planning on doing a strongman comp in August, so provided things don't get in the way I'll have to up my carrying capacity. That said, I'll be using it to get better at carrying things, not to cut more weight. I'm a big fan of using tools for what they are best at, not what they can potentially do. I've never had a need to use more than diet to get the fat off.

kzacher: Sure, but I have a Bieber-worthy bench. I'm just built to pick shit up off the floor, although my squat is catching up to my deadlift quick, and I'm not exactly sure why.

i'm sure your bench will catch up. i'm working on my ability to pick shit up off the floor. my deadlift has always been my weakest lift. i guess since i'm familiar with other lifts and did my first deadlift only last november

Here' the link to the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aGZpSHOl211reOZAlD9D-HXQKK0m7a9W4MTmBz1Io_s/edit#gid=0

Broba, if you can just copy and paste it to the first post that'd make it a lot easier to find.

Others: I've added all those who are listed on the first post as participants. Please check the link to make sure you can access it, and make sure your data is correct.

I included some brief instructions. Basically, just add your name to a row, and add weekly weigh-ins, by column, and update your current weight each time.

For weekly weigh-ins, I included instructions to either include whatever your weekly is, or if you "obsess too much on a daily basis", you can also just add your lowest weight from the previous week. As we all know by now weight fluctuates a lot and I think that is fair enough.

• Like 3

--Stronkey Kong--

I'm an IT geek and it still makes me ask ... what did we do before things like Google Sheets?!? What a PITA it was to do such a thing then!

Darwins_Demon ... I added you to my circles. I'm Quintin Holmberg when the notification comes through.

Challenges: Current:Quilaho's L1 Challenge

Battle Log:Q's Warrior Path

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

LinkedIn | TwitterFacebook

Please send me a message here at NF if you are going to send a request