Dresden Files

We have a lot of Dresden Files fans on these message boards.  Last challenge I organized a Wild Hunt-themed support group.  That was seven right there, and I know that at least that many dropped in to our individual threads to express Dresden-themed support.

I've been reading through the previous books as I wait for Skin Game.  I haven't been reading them in order though, just as I get my hands on them.

Do you have a favorite book?  A favorite character?

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I found the show by chance on Netflix once and became a fan of Dresden then. The books are on my list, though. I just quite haven't gotten to that shelf yet.

Because, you know, normal people have "to be read" stacks. Readers have "to be read" shelves. ;)

a-creative-readers-place-book-shelves-al

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Training Assignments: #1

"If you're afraid to fall, you fall because you're afraid. Everything is Choice." -- Daniel Ilabaca, Choose Not To Fall.

Choose not to fall. Be victorious, one choice at a time. 

"We are all the protagonists of our own life story,

so be the hero that you want to be."

Primary Mission: Lose 64lbs.

7.8%
7.8%

Secondary Mission: Drop 3 Pant Sizes.

25%
25%

One of my friends just got me hooked on them, I just finished Blood Rites and am waiting to get my monthly credits from Audible so I can get the next two. 

My wife and I have been following The Dresden Files for years. Skin Game was the first book in the series I purchased as an audiobook (just discovered audible - it's awesome), and I was seriously impressed. The narrator, James Marsters, is fantastic. As soon as I finished Skin Game, I bought the rest of the series to re-experience it from the beginning. I'm in the middle of book 11 and loving it!

Currently reading Blood Rites. How did I not know about this series until now?

I met James Marsters at Minneapolis ComiCon Just before Skin Game was released. Talk about a stand up chap. He even gave me M&Ms.

• Like 1

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: thekatisalie is back :: no seriously this time

MyFitnessPal || Strava || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay

I have book 1, but am still in the first few books of The wheel of time and have tow others i have started, but this is on my short list of once i finish a seris to begin this one (might be finish divergent, then on to foundation, then the dresden files.)

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

**ARRIVES IN A FANFARE**

HUGE Dresden fan here. I asked for books for Christmas last year. My brother got my the first five. I read through those in the first week. Then I was pillaging the library for the rest.

I am now a Dresden-verse encylopedia. I've read the wikis, I've researched all the critters, and I've hunted down as many of the Word Of Jim interviews I could find. I've also helped a little too much on contributing to the Wild Mass Guessing of the TVTropes page.

Favorite book? That's unfair. It's like asking to pick a favorite child. But I really do love Proven Guilty, mainly because I'm a horror movie fan and Butcher put in my ultimate favorite horror critter in there -- the xenomorph from Aliens. And he quoted Ripley perfectly! IT WAS WONDERFUL! I literally got up and danced and squeed when I read that.

Favorite character.... definitely Murphy. She is the shit. 

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

PARKOUR!

Seriously I love the dresden files books. Just finished the newest one a day after I got it. 

I need to try and get them all together and read them through again. I've forgotten so much.

My favorite character would probably have to be Michael. But as far as favorite minor characters its either

Mac

or

Saint Nick / Odin / etc. My favorite part about it is how it wraps all the lore into one.

Then the challenge is getting them all in order... lol

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

PARKOUR!

Seriously I love the dresden files books. Just finished the newest one a day after I got it. 

I need to try and get them all together and read them through again. I've forgotten so much.

My favorite character would probably have to be Michael. But as far as favorite minor characters its either

Mac

or

Saint Nick / Odin / etc. My favorite part about it is how it wraps all the lore into one.

Then the challenge is getting them all in order... lol

xD OMG I wish I could like your post multiple times. I got my boyfriend hooked on the series and now, whenever we see some crazy freerunning skillz in a movie, we both shout PARKOUR! It's become a meme between us, almost.

I love how Butcher gets all the lore in there. Especially with the Fae -- they're so ignored in fantasy and he writes it all beautifully. I especially like how he got all the vampire myths in there with the Courts. Traditional blood-suckers, newer blood-suckers, and the chi eaters. I really want to know what the Jade Court is all about.

Also, is anyone else incredibly excited for dragons and/or Ferrovax to make another appearance soon? I really want this to happen!

*is a dragon fanatic*

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

I really have to start re-reading them. I managed to find 10 of the 15(I know I own them all). I was actually thinking about maybe seeing if anyone would be interested in re-reading them from the beginning. And every so often talking about the book (maybe 1 book ever 1-2 weeks or so?Once a month is way too long for me lol)

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Favorite character.... definitely Murphy. She is the shit. 

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that are pulling for Murphy and those that are pulling for Molly. You're the wrong kind of people :-).

I love his use of movies and movie quotes as well. I'm still recovering from Butters' movie moment in the last book.

“I cannot lift this.†Ahmed ibn Fahdlan having been give a sword.

“Grow stronger!†Herger the Joyous

Specialization is for insects.

Battle Log:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/49470-serpenthelms-beginning/#entry1064460

I really have to start re-reading them. I managed to find 10 of the 15(I know I own them all). I was actually thinking about maybe seeing if anyone would be interested in re-reading them from the beginning. And every so often talking about the book (maybe 1 book ever 1-2 weeks or so?Once a month is way too long for me lol)

8D I would totally do this with you. I mean, I can start today, if you like. It'd be good to revisit them from the beginning. Depending on how busy I am, I can read one in about 3 days.

You know, I pretty much paraphrased/quoted the last lines of Storm Front in my first post of my Daily Battle log. ^_^ *points to link in sig* And that was long before I found this thread. My fan-cred is legit.

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that are pulling for Murphy and those that are pulling for Molly. You're the wrong kind of people :-).

I love his use of movies and movie quotes as well. I'm still recovering from Butters' movie moment in the last book.

*puts on robe and wizard hat*

FUEGO!

Actually, I'm pretty 'meh' when it comes to the ship. I just like Murphy as a character and a badass. Martial arts and professional shooter all in a 5' package? Yes please. (So maybe I'm short and I may sympathize with her character a bit....)

OMG wasn't that moment AMAZING!? I laughed without reservations when I read that. Since I was reading the book non-stop and it was 2AM, my family was less than a amused.

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

8D I would totally do this with you. I mean, I can start today, if you like. It'd be good to revisit them from the beginning. Depending on how busy I am, I can read one in about 3 days.

I started yesterday. Let's see if we can get a few more people in on it first though before I start a thread for it.

• Like 1