Squat: 200 lbs @ 5x5!

I know that isn't a big deal in the big picture (that still Novice-level from what I understand), but for gym n00b me it's quite the milestone! I was scheduled for 195, but after a single set of that, I figured I was so close I might as well, so I slapped a pair of 2.5s on each side and demoted my previous set to my final warm-up. If all goes well I'll be squatting a pair of big-boy plates in less than two weeks.

Still a scary prospect, as the first few reps of even this, my mindset was all "oh crap oh crap I'm gonna get crushed, it's finally time to put these bail-failed-squat instructions to use". But then I remembered the MS Paint masterpiece I found this morning.

Right as my timer went off for the last set, right as I was standing up to walk back to the rack, Great Hall Awaits A Fallen Brother by Bathory started playing, and suddenly I felt like I could lift three-plate (remembering that one time I loaded my upper-back with 315 and just stood there for 10 seconds, sweating like a hog the entire time). The start of the last rep was when the vocals began; that aural injection of brutal manliness made me want to keep going like a Viking berserker. But good sense took over and I put it down before I cracked my pelvis or something. Valhalla can wait until I'm crushed by real weights. :)

• Like 3

I know that isn't a big deal in the big picture....

Shut up. Where did you start? Where are you now? Do the math. Two hundred pounds is a huge milestone, and that is a big deal. Sure, you have a while before you're spewing blood out of your nose on a maximal attempt, but you're getting there. 

• Like 1

I translate things into Latin. Send me a pm.

| Human Flag | One-arm Chinup | | 20 Bar Muscle-ups | | 225 Press | | 365lb Front Squat | | 515lb Deadlift | | Freestanding HSPU | | Gain 15lb | 

Battle Log

It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers.

Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.   - Patrick Rothfuss

Gain 15lbs

42%
42%

That's pretty damn awesome! Especially consider yourself a n00b. Besides, all of our goals we hit may not seem like a big deal in the long run (for example, when you're squatting 4 plates, 200 lbs will seem like baby weights). Nevertheless, they're still a big deal in the present moment. Heck, every 5-pound increase is a big deal.

I also wanted to point out that I nearly pissed myself laughing at that little comic you posted. That's how I imagine my max squat attempts go.

• Like 1

Looks like Super Destroyer was right, for today I finally hit two-plate skwat! (also 5x5, and also sweet)

(click to enlarge)

WcIBb1Il.jpg

YwuoeYSl.jpg

Too bad you can't see my face, heh.

I was dreading two-plate for a while, after loading myself up with it a long time ago just for kicks, and then bending my knee not even half an inch down and suddenly feeling like my entire body was about to be crumpled like a styrofoam cup. But looks like I'm a styrofoam cup no more!

I guess this isn't too bad progress after starting on 01/17/14 (and getting serious on 4/9/14, when I began StrongLifts 5x5).

Now beware my upcoming 3-plaet deadlift in two to three weeks, if I'm lucky:

7B6UR95l.jpg

That's 1x5 of 285. And a better look at the hideous Pink-Face of Blonde Person Exertion! Not quite there yet, but one day...

• Like 2

Shut up. Where did you start? Where are you now? Do the math. Two hundred pounds is a huge milestone, and that is a big deal. Sure, you have a while before you're spewing blood out of your nose on a maximal attempt, but you're getting there. 

this.

seriously. 

It's taken me a long time to feel comfortable around the 200 mark- and I can't do solid reps yet.  Be proud of yourself. seriously, there are too many people willing to tear you down -don't HELP them- take pride in hard honest work that got you there!!! 

(My face totally looks like that- only worse since I"m rarely without make up- so it's red- AND make up=ey!!! LMAO

• Like 1