Interestingly enough I am making the most money I have ever made in my entire life and I am more broke than I have ever been. I bought the book (Dave Ramsey) Total money makeover. My friend (not sure who she is going to be when she joins NF so I am gonna call her D… until I know her name here) and I are going to read this book… 1 chapter in the week between challenges and then 2 chapters per week for 6 weeks… there are also worksheets to work though… I intend to get my finances in order!! I am taking 6 months off in 3 years (in order to hike the appalachian trail) and I have to have a significant amount of money set aside… also I am not getting any younger here!! I have to prepare for a fabulous retirement!!

I have made a spreadsheet with the plan here
                              Chapter/homework
 week 0                 The total money makeover challenge

worksheet: major components of a healthy financial plan

week 1                  denial

debt myths

worksheet: consumer equity sheet

worksheet: income sources

week 2                 money myths

two more hurdles

worksheet: monthly cash-flow plan

worksheet: recommended percentages 

week 3                  save $1,000 fast  

the debt snowball  

worksheet: allocated-spending plan  

worksheet: the debt snowball

week 4                finish the emergency fund  

maximize retirement investing  

worksheet:irregular-income planning  

worksheet: breakdown of savings

week 5               college funding  

pay off the home mortgage  

worksheet: pro rata debts

week 6               build wealth like crazy  

live like no one else

(I am expecting people to put their name as a column header and then an X as each item is completed) 

I understand that different editions of the book may have the chapters in different orders so I have listed them without chapter number and in the order they are in my book... 

I am hoping that we can read the book and discuss it here and do the worksheets... we can cheer each other on and give advices :)

as long as we all understand that we are not professionals and we don't give professional advice!! 

of course I am not expecting you to share your worksheets or your numbers or whatnot... this will be talking about the advice in the book and finding ways to work it in our lives (because honestly I don't care about how much you make/spend :tongue: )

I will edit this post to list participants:

alienjenn

Heidi

Elastigirl

MaidofRus

Bekah

TheLovelyMissBeans

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

So, can I join. I have already read the book and done the worksheets. But I would like re-read the book, since it has  been a while, and it would be a good refresher. We are currently working on building the retirement fund (I forget what step that is)Maybe I can offer some advice along the way, since I have already gone through the earlier steps

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Awesome eg!

The evil monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I thought that said "i can join" not "can I join" to which the answer is definitely

The evil monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

• Like 1

Spoiler

Ok, so I'm in. I don't have the book or worksheets yet, but a third of my upcoming challenge is about budget and finances, so I will be picking your brains and cheering you on and crying in amazon withdrawal.

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

yeah... I got an Amazon habit as well :(

Spoiler

Ok, I'm making my financial sheet available. (Supposed to be viewable by anyone with the link -- let me know if there are difficulties with that)

I'm embarrassed, but that's what this PvP is about, right?

So here's me, owning my mess. The first step to cleaning it up.

Also, the second tab is a listing of my Incredibly Thin Budget for the summer. I'm hoping that by thinking of it as just for a few months that I won't freak out and throw the whole thing in the shredder.

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

I like your sheet... I may end up stealing it... although I am at work right now and I can't properly access google docs... so I can't steal it right now!!

I am excited to see where this challenge leads us! (and a little embarrased to admit I can't pay my bills like a grownup)

Spoiler

AWESOME!!!

add yourself to the spreadsheet! :)

let's be grownups or somethgin :P

• Like 1

Spoiler

Ok, I am soooo in. I have been a so-so adherent to Dave's program for a while, but I have a spending problem, combined with an income problem...so yeah, I need to get my crap together. Me and J were just able to get mostly debt free (except Student Loans) and our emergency fund done...but I am concerned that it wont stay that way without mucho effort on my part. I will check out everyone's sheets tomorrow, but I wanted to hold my spot!!!

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I like your sheet... I may end up stealing it... although I am at work right now and I can't properly access google docs... so I can't steal it right now!!

I am excited to see where this challenge leads us! (and a little embarrased to admit I can't pay my bills like a grownup)

I'm a lot embarrassed to be wholly confused by spreadsheets and still call myself a nerd, and that I cant pay my bills like a grownup either :(

We are going to change that though. The lot of us :D

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Yay beks!

The evil dancing circus monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

• Like 1

Spoiler

:hopelessness: I can't find my book!!!! 

I think I may have donated it last year....since I have the FPU stuff and it seemed redundant. However, the FPU doesnt match the book, even though its the same stuff. So maybe I can find one cheap somewhere...hopefully. 

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Library?

The evil dancing circus monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

Spoiler

Library?

That would have made sense....and been free! DOH! However, I did buy one for $6.50 from Ebay with free shipping, but yeah, I need to remember the library has free books...free is cheaper than Amazon or Ebay both! 

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Just looked at the sign up sheet. It says week 0. Does that mean we start this week? I need to go find my book. I know we still have it.

I need to ask hubby if he minds us putting up our spending spreadsheet. Disclaimer: The way Dave has you do the finances is to work together on the numbers, but the nerd in the family can put together the spreadsheets. So hubby does the spreadsheets. When we first did them there was a lot of discussion about the numbers, but now I just look at them each month and we rarely make changes, except when the numbers change (like when we finished paying for son's college!)

For those of you who feel bad; We budgeted pretty well when we were first married, but stopped after we had a kid. We didn't start Dave's plan and budgeting until a few years ago. Which puts us well into our forties before we decided to be grown ups. :playful: The only thing that saved us was my husband had a good job with steady income, but if something had gone wrong, we would have been in trouble.

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Yes... I'm starting this week... was going to post a "happy week zero" post later tonight when I had free time at work :)

Spoiler

oh crap...my book may not get here in time. Its scheduled for delivery on Monday but I do have that worksheet already, bc I have FPU which has all the worksheets, so I will do that part at least and do the reading as soon as I get the book if its not till Monday. 

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

I tend to rip through books too... and not get the LESSON behind them.... which is why I wanted a PVP...

so what did you think of the chapter? of the worksheet??

Spoiler

Ok, found my book....which wasn't Total Money Makeover, it was Financial Peace University. So,I haven't read TMM yet. No library copies, but they did have a kindle download. And we have a line item for books with enough money I can buy it-yay! 

YAY!!!

Spoiler

I tend to rip through books too... and not get the LESSON behind them.... which is why I wanted a PVP...

so what did you think of the chapter? of the worksheet??

That's why I'm trying to take it slow. The chapter makes sense, and it's probably good that I am starting this now when I have very little in the way of debt. The worksheet helped me think long term/big picture, but at this point in my life much of it is unnecessary for me. The most important stuff is student loans and taxes!

I need to read! It's on my list for Wednesday... my first day off

Spoiler