Hi everyone, I normally train doing movnat/Gpp and I’m looking to focus on building strength by lifting objects for the next few months. I tend to do more bodyweight exercises, but want to build up some more strength doing lifts/throws.

As I normally train in the outdoors and I don’t really like going to gyms, I don’t have access to a standard set of weights, (buying a set isn’t really an option space wise/moving frequently). I also like the added difficulty of lifting awkward objects (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z7M5rwXstA).

So my question is does anyone have suggestions, for making/measuring progress when using logs and rocks for lifting/throwing? Part of the issue will be having regular access to heavier objects. I often train in my garden so I’ll have to bring some heavy objects there to use and that’s not going to be realistic.

My goals in this training will be increasing max weight lifts and increasing reps/ease of medium weight objects (30-50kg).

I’ll be incorporating,

Standard lifts, carrying movements and throwing into my training.

Any suggestions for working on increasing max weight would be great.

Level 4 Werewolf Ranger

Str: 7.5, Sta: 3, Dex: 6, Con: 10, Wis: 10.5, Cha: 5.5

Skills

Drawing l Cold resistance l Self Discipline

"Luck is an accumulation of hard work and focused attention"

I've never used natural stones or logs as metrics for gauging progress, so take my advice for what it is worth. I do however play with Atlas stones when the mood grabs me, which is as odd an object as you'll wrap your hands around, and I've thrown around some full diameter firewood logs and used similar form to load them. Density and size are both always fighting you. I can lap my 240 pound, 18" Atlas stone easier than I can my 200ish pound 16" stone, but I can't load the 240 since I dont have the glute strength to extend with it, yet. Since it is bigger there is a larger lever arm to work against, plus the raw weight. I've lapped and loaded a 24" diameter block of firewood and it was just as hard as my 200 pound stone. I can barely bearhug carry a 26" trash can full of mulch, ~80 pounds, due mainly to grip. I guess what I am getting at is, you will need to gauge progress on a particular implement, and don't make any assumptions on a new one until you have actually picked it up. Once you find some things you can only work with for a few reps you can start repping similar size or similar density implements to build your heavier lifts. Don't expect fast progress, since it is going to be difficult to do any type of real periodization.

Make sure you are putting things overhead, too. If you are just picking, loading, and carrying you will become very posterior chain and biceps dominant. if you are already really strong, meaning a 400+ pound deadlift or picking up a stone big enough to really make you hurt, think about getting some tacky. It will protect your biceps since you won't need to flex them to maintain grip, and will also allow you to tax your prime movers more. Elite Tacky is pine resin, so completely biodegradable.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Thanks for the information and opinion. It's good to hear how it works for someone else and how the slight differences make such a big difference.

I will take your advice and find what's difficult at the moment and work from there. For the time being I'm willing to sacrifice big gains in numbers on my olympic style lifts, in exchange for small gains on a wide variety of grips, shapes and sizes as that is what I'm more interested in. Maybe at some point in the future I'll spend some time focusing on using gym weights.

Thanks for the heads up on lifting above my head. I'm actually slowly working my way out of some restricted shoulder and back movement, from a lot of manual labour jobs so I'm well aware of the problems in can cause.

Thanks again for the advice. I'd never heard of tacky before so will do some research.

Level 4 Werewolf Ranger

Str: 7.5, Sta: 3, Dex: 6, Con: 10, Wis: 10.5, Cha: 5.5

Skills

Drawing l Cold resistance l Self Discipline

"Luck is an accumulation of hard work and focused attention"

I don't have much experience either.

But I think you could take measurements in distance increase of your throws, the implement you're using, it's weight, and style of throwing. This will give you an objetive gauge, since you'll be measuring yourself against yourself in a regular basis.

As to carries, well, time and distance would do well if all the rest remains the same.

For everything else, I'd say take note of what Exorcito said. He knows his stuff better better than me.

MOTUS VIRTUTE - STRENGTH TRAINING THROUGH THE EYES OF AN ENTHUSIAST

For everything else, I'd say take note of what Exorcito said. He knows his stuff better better than me.

The secret to growing is to assume you know nothing, and always look for the answers to everything.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"