LumpySpacePrincess gets ready for Camp NF!

Alright, here we go! Not gonna lie, I'm pretty stoked about my first challenge. Excited and nervous, as I've never taken to an online community for support, but I really hope this helps nudge me out of my rut.

Basically, I've struggled with weight all my life. After high school, I studied in Germany for a year and managed to drop over 50 pounds, solely by a different lifestyle and increased exercise (went from a couch potato to riding a bike 15+ miles a day, everyday, and walked EVERYWHERE, but still ate junk). I managed to keep it off through college, but after getting a "real job" (i.e. desk job), the weight has crept back on over the course of 4-5 years. Toward the end of last year, I had an epiphany: I've never really had to pay attention to what I eat to maintain my weight. In college, I was super busy with school and a full time job in retail, which required being on my feet and moving all day. There is no getting around it, no matter how much I hate to admit it, I have to change my eating habits to get back to where I used to be *surprise, surprise*, and more important, stay that way.

So, I stumbled across Nerd Fitness while doing major research about the Paleo diet. I managed to lose over 15 lbs during the time I actually stuck with it, but I fell off the bandwagon after a few short months (won't happen again, I promise!) I've kinda poked around the boards here and there, but never posted-- the idea of participating seemed really cool, but I just never got that push to go for it. Then I read about camp :biggrin-new:  I was immediately sold! I'm SO excited to go, and lord knows I'm in dire need of a vacation/escape, and dammit I deserve it, lol!

I figured now is as good of time as any to really push myself to get into better shape, because it would really suck to go and struggle to keep up with all the awesome activities. I know I won't be in "perfect" shape, but I want to do as much as I possibly can! Now I have a definite goal to reach for, and as a wise man named Spongebob once said, I'M READY!

For the short term, I'm focused on the two 6 week challenges I'll be able to squeeze in before camp. By the end, I would like to be down 40 pounds and/or 12% body-fat (not sure which one is more attainable in that time period, but I figure, hey, I'll find out pretty soon)

So here it is,

MAIN QUEST (for the June 9th challenge):

Lose 15 lbs (or 5% body fat)

MISSIONS

• Prepare/plan Paleo meals for the week every Sunday, and actually eat said meals with as few deviations as possible (hey, I work in an office and a cookie or donut here or there is practically unavoidable, lol!). Bonus if I can make that 0 deviations for the duration of the challenge. Limit eating out to a max of 1x per week.
  • Walk/run 3x a week during lunch hour, 45mins of cardio in 2x a week.
  • Drink a gallon of water per day, NO sugary drinks. Limit coffee to 2 cups a day

SIDE QUESTS

• No alcohol (This is a tough one, as I am a wino, lol!)
  • Go to the park with my nephews at least 2x a week.

I really look forward to getting to know you guys! Here's to a good running start to a life change!

-LSP

• Like 2

LumpySpacePrincess, Level 0 Satyress

Adventurer, Druid at heart

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

20lb challenge (May 20th-July13th)

36.5%
36.5%

Lose 15 pounds during first challenge (June 9th-July 20th)

48.7%
48.7%

Starting stats
    Weight: 204.6
    Bodyfat: 43.2%

Current stats
    Weight: 197.3
    Bodyfat: 40.1%
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.†-Mahatma Gandhi

Welcome to the rebellion!

You are a little late, this challenge will end on Sunday :)

Then there will be a 2 week pause and then we'll start new threads.

I like your goal to plan your meal this will help a lot! And having ready-made meals in the fridge/freezer is a huge help against temptation to order out when you're tired from work.

I just want to say, keep your goals small. 5% body fat might not be as easy and fast to shred as you think! A general guideline I received was 1% per month or challenge(6 weeks).

It's healthy to loose 1 pound a week, don't force yourself too much or you will give up because of not seeing the results you wanted,

Cardio isn't everything to loose weight... maybe you have seen this article by Steve about the comparison  between Cardio, Intervall and weight training?

I know, it's hard to take it easy but this is just the tutorial ;)

You haven't packed up the weight from yesterday to today, so you won't loose it from today to tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

Thanks Katzchen!

Yes, I realize I'm late for the current challenge, which is why my goal/missions are for the next challenge :-). I figured an early introduction is better than a late one-- gives me a bit of time to prepare and get to know some folks! And, there's some extra motivation to get an early start...

No, I hadn't read that article!  It was interesting, thanks for share. I guess I should define what I mean by cardio. I HATE treadmills, and barely tolerate elliptical machines, but I will do it if absolutely have to. More than likely, those 45 minutes will be spent playing Dance Central, Zumba or something else that's fun (music really drives me, lol!). That *feels* a lot different than treadmills and I definitely notice a difference in post-workout recovery, so I assume it's a little different fitness-wise (hope that was clearer than mud). I'm not *really* interested in weight training at the moment. Not saying I won't ever be! It's just not where my mindset is at the moment. I'd rather do a more inefficient exercise that I have a blast doing, than lift weights, which I don't exactly enjoy :-/

Yes, I know it's a little aggressive, but hey, if I even get halfway there, I'll be happy! Better than the zero I've been losing for the past month! Plus, I have a lot to lose, so it would be interesting to see if I can hit those goals. I’m optimistic, I’ve done it before. A bigger problem for me is putting it back on, when I hit that “I don’t care, Imma eat this!†phase.

LumpySpacePrincess, Level 0 Satyress

Adventurer, Druid at heart

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

20lb challenge (May 20th-July13th)

36.5%
36.5%

Lose 15 pounds during first challenge (June 9th-July 20th)

48.7%
48.7%

Starting stats
    Weight: 204.6
    Bodyfat: 43.2%

Current stats
    Weight: 197.3
    Bodyfat: 40.1%
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.†-Mahatma Gandhi

We're here for motivation, don't worry!

I'm just concerned but if it's your thing keep it coming!

Maybe remember this when you start to hit a plateau in you weight-loss someday: More cardio is NOT the answer!

I started a little more than two weeks ago at the same point where you are. Didn't care about lifting either but now I'm interested in body weight workouts.

Still my focus for the next challenge will be C25K via "Zombies, RUN!" It's really fun! I ran a few years ago and had a lot of fun.

Introductions never hurt :)

Oh and for your  "no sugary drinks and alcohol" goal I advice the No soda PVP challenge! It will surely return for the next challenge and we keep it a week longer than the current challenge.

How do you plan to track your progress? Pictures? Measurements? Scale alone?

What are your  motivations and rewards ? :)

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines