GYM IS CONFUSING.

I have recently joined the gym to lift some weights but I have no clu whatsoever about it. The weights area of the gym overwhelms me and gets me all confused so I need your help.

What should be my workout plan or routine and all?

I'd very much appreciate your help c:

Class and Profession: Rangers/Druid
Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are--Lara Croft.

Well what are your goals? Prior experience?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ah! hallo!

Let's see: "Weight loss and body toning?"

No experience whatsoever. I am a newbie

Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

Most gyms will be able to offer some sort of orientation session for free which should cover some of the very basics (but do let them know you're interested in free weights more than machines). You could also  ask if they've got any sort of beginner weight lifting programs that they run, or if not, sign up for a couple sessions with a trainer.

One exercise that should definitely be part of your routine is squats - here's the NF article on how to do those: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/08/why-you-need-squats-in-your-workout-and-how-to-do-them-right/

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

body toning"

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/04/19/5-fitness-buzzwords/

Weight loss is 80+% from eating clean/healthy.  The extra 20% is from the exercise.  You can't outrun your fork.

Some people put a lot of effort in trying to hit every muscle an do compound exercises in a workout plan and blah blah blah.  If you're starting out, use free weights since they work your stabilizer/connector muscles. Free weights are better than using machines. 

If it's weight loss/tone(doesn't exist) then I'm tempted to say don't bother with the gym at all. If there's a certain strength/fitness goal (like doing a push-up, doing a pull-up, running a mile in under a minute, training to play better tennis,  etc) then there can be a plan of attack and with that- certain exercises.

While it's true weight loss is mostly about what you eat, exercise is good for you no matter what your goals. And exercise is strongly linked to success at maintaining weight loss. Doing strength training while losing weight will help reduce the amount of weight loss that comes from muscle loss, and, introduce you to habits that will help you keep the weight off.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

While it's true weight loss is mostly about what you eat, exercise is good for you no matter what your goals. And exercise is strongly linked to success at maintaining weight loss. Doing strength training while losing weight will help reduce the amount of weight loss that comes from muscle loss, and, introduce you to habits that will help you keep the weight off.

Not debating that at all. I'm just saying if your primary goal for running on a treadmill is to lose fat, cleaning up your eating is going to count for way more than people think.  Of course you should do both, but people think that exercise > eating, when it's eating>exercise in terms of priority.

As mentioned above, weight loss mostly comes from smart eating habits. The "toned" look you seek comes from strengthening the muscles underneath any unwanted fat.  An efficient way to strengthen the muscles is barbell strength training. Starting Strength and Stronglifts are two popular beginning strength routines. They can also be good for weight loss, provided you're eating a slight caloric deficit as well as eating a lot of protein (this prevents your body from eating your muscles). 

Equipment you may see in the gym:

muscle motion commercial power rack white

This is a power rack. It has a rack for the bar, and rods along the sides to catch the bar if you cannot complete a squat rep. The power rack can meet all of your needs for a beginner strength program.

Legend 3138 Squat Rack

This is a squat rack. As its name implies, you squat in it. It's also useful for overhead pressing. And of course, you can use the bar for deadlifts, rows, etc.

bench press

This is a bench press setup. 

dumbbell rack

Free weight dumb bells. These are useful for a lot of different miscellaneous exercises.

BE 11 smith machine Xlg

This is a Smith Machine.  There's a lot of (justified) hate for the Smith Machine. To the uninitiated, it looks like a safer squat rack.  The bar is on a dedicated path, and there's hooks that catch the bar if it falls. It's a trap. Do not fall for it. Do not squat, press, or row in the Smith Machine.  However, it's not all evil.  It is an excellent place to do bodyweight rows. Mostly though, just avoid it. 

None of this is the end-all, be-all.  I'm just sharing what I know from experience. Bodyweight exercises can work very well in losing weight and gaining strength. There's other strength programs out there as well. For beginners though, I think starting simple with a strong focus on diet and gaining strength is a great way to begin. Pick a beginner program and stick with it for 3 months. As far as diet, get plenty of protein and eat at a slight caloric deficit. 

Good luck and I hope this helped a bit!

• Like 5

Look up starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting.  These are great beginner programs- body weight is good- but you can do that anywhere with minimal equipment. You asked about the gym- so these are good options.

Do some research about compound lifting- and then follow that up with accessory lifting after you get your feet wet.  Researching so you know what you need to do will give you confidence. Knowledge banish's fear. 

Write down your workout plan in advance. 

Go in off peak hours.

Get a trainer for form checks if you like. 

Post video here for form check if you like.

Realize- people don't care about you.  They people watch because they are resting between sets but don't project that they are judging you- they aren't- they are only watching people because there are people there to watch- it's what happens. 

Go in and do what you have to do.

If you need a spot- ask for a spot- don't be afraid- just be clear about what you need from them.  

go forth- be fabulous.

lather rinse, repeat. 

• Like 2

Look up starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting. These are great beginner programs- body weight is good- but you can do that anywhere with minimal equipment. You asked about the gym- so these are good options.

Do some research about compound lifting- and then follow that up with accessory lifting after you get your feet wet. Researching so you know what you need to do will give you confidence. Knowledge banish's fear.

Write down your workout plan in advance.

Go in off peak hours.

Get a trainer for form checks if you like.

Post video here for form check if you like.

Realize- people don't care about you. They people watch because they are resting between sets but don't project that they are judging you- they aren't- they are only watching people because there are people there to watch- it's what happens.

If you need a spot- ask for a spot- don't be afraid- just be clear about what you need from them.

go forth- be fabulous.

lather rinse, repeat.

That's the most amazing advice I have ever gotten. Not even my brother or sister could have said that to me. Thank you ;_;
  • Like 2

Spoiler

Quote:

Realize- people don't care about you.  They people watch because they are resting between sets but don't project that they are judging you- they aren't- they are only watching people because there are people there to watch- it's what happens. 

That's a big one for me. It's a mental thing. I'm not sure I can ever get over it, even if I'm always watching other people without judgment (well, the occasional holy eff. wow. intimidated! leaks out...)

Part of my road to health includes loving me as I am, even if I want to be healthier. That means, they want to judge? Let 'em. I'm awesome. 

• Like 1

Level One Water Elf

STR 2/DEX 2/STA 2/CON 1/WIS 3/CHA 5

^^^ I have no actual idea what that means. 

Goal right now: 10% body weight loss. 

Realize- people don't care about you. They people watch because they are resting between sets but don't project that they are judging you- they aren't- they are only watching people because there are people there to watch- it's what happens.

Well darn, I always thought they were checking me out!!!

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

That's a big one for me. It's a mental thing. I'm not sure I can ever get over it, even if I'm always watching other people without judgment (well, the occasional holy eff. wow. intimidated! leaks out...)

Part of my road to health includes loving me as I am, even if I want to be healthier. That means, they want to judge? Let 'em. I'm awesome.

You're not alone! I too get quite flustered when gyming in public (especially infront of those lady folk who usually don't see girls lifting weights and all)

I try to ignore and sometimes I am able to ignore (thanks to headphones but since they're lost somewhere) but there are days that I prefer to stay hidden.

Spoiler

Quote:

Well darn, I always thought they were checking me out!!!

With absolute certainty, I can totally say that, "Yes, they check you out". Practically drooling in their heads as they look at your marvellous figure. Like. Bravo. My. Friend. Bravo.

(Not sarcasm)

Spoiler

Quote:

Other's have mentioned it but, here's a link ...

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I started lifting for the first time in my life 6 weeks ago with that program. Like Super Destroyer says ... I have not regretted it. Mehdi outlines everything in that link. It does not get much simpler for a beginner than what he has going on.

• Like 1

Challenges: Current:Quilaho's L1 Challenge

Battle Log:Q's Warrior Path

BodySpace | MyFitnessPal

LinkedIn | TwitterFacebook

Please send me a message here at NF if you are going to send a request

oh glad that helped LOL

:)  

it's definitely something that gets better with practice but KNOWING what you need to know really helps- those things can really get you started in the right direction with minimal flailing about.

and it's the flailing that most people are really uncomfortable about doing- they don't have a clear path or idea so it winds up being flailing.

So having a game plan and some knowledge really sets you off down the path. 

:D

I want everyone to be fabulous- then we can stare in aw :D

• Like 1

oh glad that helped LOL

:)

it's definitely something that gets better with practice but KNOWING what you need to know really helps- those things can really get you started in the right direction with minimal flailing about.

and it's the flailing that most people are really uncomfortable about doing- they don't have a clear path or idea so it winds up being flailing.

So having a game plan and some knowledge really sets you off down the path.

:D

I want everyone to be fabulous- then we can stare in aw :D

Definitely going to keep that promise :D

• Like 1

Spoiler

Quote: