Building a better Raev, part 1.

So, I've done my time on SL5x5.  I tried out bodyweight.  I've learned a few things and have identified specific needs.

This will be my workout tracker as I move on to 5/3/1 with a very specific focusing on three things.  I'll also be rambling on about whatever is on my mind from day to day.

1-Fixing a slight pelvic tilt that I have

2-Reinforcing the lower back to help with a disc problem in my back that I was informed that I have on Monday.  It's early on and the doc has advised me to put a heavy focus on hypers to keep the disc from pushing out any further.

3-I started off in late December at 233lbs.  I'm down to 218.  I want to push on down to 210.

This week, I'm on a deload week so there isn't much to write about.  This is also a "eat for maintenance" week, to give my body a break from the deficits I've been maintaining.

You may also notice the lack of deadlifts here.  The reason for it is the disc problem.  I don't have good mobility so when I DL heavy, my form isn't exactly right.  I can't get into the proper form.  Due to this, temporarily those have been replaced by rows while I strengthen the back, heal and increase mobility.  At the end of each cycle I'll have the doc evaluate me and I'll go off of his word on when to add the DLs back in.

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I'll edit this as time goes on to update dates/weights.  The heavy focus on glute, stomach and hamstring are to correct the tilt.  The lower back focus is to help with disc problem.

6/4

Bench Press 110x5, 115x5, 130x5+

Chest Press 110x10 120x7 130x5+

Hyper machine Stack, 5 seconds under load.

Cable pull down (ab) 150, 3x10

HIIT Pushup, 15 second AMRAPx3

6/6

Squat 140x5, 160x5, 185x5+

Hyper machine Stack, 3x5 5 seconds under load.

HIIT inverted row, 15 second AMRAPx3

6/9

Overhead Press 70x5, 80x5, 90x5+

Hyper machine Stack, 3x5 5 seconds under load.

6/11

Deadlift 165x5 190x5 215x5+

Glute bridge (bw) 3x10

6/13

Bench 110x3, 125x3, 140x3+

Chest Press 110x15 120x10 130x5+

Hyper machine Stack, 3x5 6 seconds under load.

Cable pull down (ab) 150, 3x12

6/16

Squat 150x3, 170x3, 195x3+

Hyper machine Stack, 3x5 6 seconds under load

6/18

Overhead Press 75x3, 85x3, 95x3+

Hyper machine Stack, 3x5 6 seconds under load

6/20

Deadlift 175x3, 200x3, 225x3+

Glute bridge(bw) 3x12

6/23

Bench 115x5, 130x3, 145x1+

Chest Press 110x15 120x10 130x5+

Hyper machine Stack, 3x5 7 seconds under load

Cable pull down (ab) 150, 3x15

6/25

Squat 160x5, 185x3, 205x1+

6/27

OHP 80x5, 90x3, 100x1+

6/30

Deadlift 190x5, 215x3, 240x1+

Glute Bridge(bw) 3x15

7/2

Bench 60x5, 80x5, 95x5

Chest Press 80x10, 80x10, 80x10

Hyper machine Stack, 3x5 5 seconds under load

HIIT Pushup, 15 second AMRAPx1

7/4

Squat 85x5, 110x5, 130x5

HIIT inverted row, 15 second AMRAPx1

7/7

OHP 40x5, 55x5, 65x5

HIIT Pushup, 15 second AMRAPx1

7/9

Deadlift 100x5, 125x5, 150x5

Glute Bridge(bw) 3x10

HIIT inverted row, 15 second AMRAPx1

level 4 Gnoll warrior

My plan come Monday for helping me get down to the 210 body weight I am after is to return to my normal deficit eating routine, with one variation.  I tend to drink a lot of whiskey.  About 750ml (a fifth, for the Americans) every 7-10 days.  That's 1700ish calories PLUS the effects of the whiskey itself.  Add in a couple of beers a week, an occasional long island iced tea and BOOM - 2k+ calories a week on average of just alcohol.  Now, I'm not going 100% booze free.  I'm just going to restrict my drinking to just the weekend, instead of a little bit almost every day.  I never drink to get drunk, I just like a little bit to end a day off with and relax.  This is an easy cut to make.

Also, instead of my 2 lean cuisine frozen lunches a day I am going to eat a chicken salad each day.  With carefully measured dressing, I can reduce caloric intake and sodium while increasing protein and nutrient intake - while actually eating a little more and feeling fuller.

level 4 Gnoll warrior

You may also notice the lack of deadlifts here.  The reason for it is the disc problem.  I don't have good mobility so when I DL heavy, my form isn't exactly right.  I can't get into the proper form.  Due to this, temporarily those have been replaced by rows while I strengthen the back, heal and increase mobility.  At the end of each cycle I'll have the doc evaluate me and I'll go off of his word on when to add the DLs back in.

I had a very similar problem with deadlifts.  I had poor mobility and a weak lower back.  Switching to sumo stance helped immensely.  Between that and good mornings to strengthen the back, I've really been able to progress on deadlifts again.

Just something to consider.

• Like 1

"When I say 'Ascend to a higher level of consciousness'...you say 'HOW HIGH, SIR?!'"

- B Katt

Level 2 Warrior

Challenges - 1 - 2

I had a very similar problem with deadlifts.  I had poor mobility and a weak lower back.  Switching to sumo stance helped immensely.  Between that and good mornings to strengthen the back, I've really been able to progress on deadlifts again.

Just something to consider.

I've tried good mornings, my mobility sucks a bit much for them. :(

Years of working a desk job and leading an inactive lifestyle, coupled with numerous injuries left me with the mobility of an 80 year old (which is a direct quote from my massage therapist).

level 4 Gnoll warrior

So, after my Chiro visit the other day my back was hurting worse than ever before.  So, I decided to get a second opinion.  You see, the Chiro that told me I have the beginnings of a disc problem is a new one.  He's only been practicing a few months now.  My regular chiro has been at it for 30+ years and has a very different method of diagnosis and treatment.

I explained what the other doc said yesterday.  The regular chiro spent about 30 minutes checking vertebrae to vertebrae, then took a sort of ultrasoundish image of my back.  He then gave me an adjustment.  When he does the adjustments, he doesn't just snap-crackle-pop you.  He uses a device that manipulates each vertebrae individually, using vibrations to gently manipulate them.  After about 10 minutes of that, he raised the table and told me to stand up.  It felt MUCH better.  He told me my L4 and L5 weren't moving correctly and when the other doc adjusted me it put extra stress on the L4 and L5, causing increased discomfort and pain.  He showed me the before and after scan images and I could see the difference.  My back feels MUCH better right now!  Almost normal, in fact!

We talked about how it got tweaked in the first place.  He told me that it's fine to do deadlifts after my back heals up some.  Doc used to lift himself and knows what I'm doing.  He told me I do have some back irritation caused by the rotations of the Landmine 180s I've been doing.  He says that twisting motion is horrible on the lower back when a weighted bar is introduced to the motion and the lower back isn't strong.  He encouraged doing hypers and showed me a couple of direct core workouts that won't aggravate the back.

Doc also told me to use a belt any time I am squatting or deadlifting over 85% of my 1RM due to my weak lower back, just as a safety precaution until my lower back and abs are no longer weak.

• Like 2

level 4 Gnoll warrior

So, after my Chiro visit the other day my back was hurting worse than ever before.  So, I decided to get a second opinion.  You see, the Chiro that told me I have the beginnings of a disc problem is a new one.  He's only been practicing a few months now.  My regular chiro has been at it for 30+ years and has a very different method of diagnosis and treatment.

I explained what the other doc said yesterday.  The regular chiro spent about 30 minutes checking vertebrae to vertebrae, then took a sort of ultrasoundish image of my back.  He then gave me an adjustment.  When he does the adjustments, he doesn't just snap-crackle-pop you.  He uses a device that manipulates each vertebrae individually, using vibrations to gently manipulate them.  After about 10 minutes of that, he raised the table and told me to stand up.  It felt MUCH better.  He told me my L4 and L5 weren't moving correctly and when the other doc adjusted me it put extra stress on the L4 and L5, causing increased discomfort and pain.  He showed me the before and after scan images and I could see the difference.  My back feels MUCH better right now!  Almost normal, in fact!

We talked about how it got tweaked in the first place.  He told me that it's fine to do deadlifts after my back heals up some.  Doc used to lift himself and knows what I'm doing.  He told me I do have some back irritation caused by the rotations of the Landmine 180s I've been doing.  He says that twisting motion is horrible on the lower back when a weighted bar is introduced to the motion and the lower back isn't strong.  He encouraged doing hypers and showed me a couple of direct core workouts that won't aggravate the back.

Doc also told me to use a belt any time I am squatting or deadlifting over 85% of my 1RM due to my weak lower back, just as a safety precaution until my lower back and abs are no longer weak.

Good to hear!   :triumphant: 

So, today I did a trial run of the bench day of 5 3 1. Two things come to mind. One, it starts off light. Two, chest press may mot be the right idea. BBB may be better. On the machine, it seemed like I was pushing with my dominant side. Not a balanced workout.

Because it starts light, I may add deadlift back in. I'm thinking of rearranging the order of the days to put dl last in line and working toward it, due to the light nature of week one 531.

level 4 Gnoll warrior

Yesterday was my first full 5/3/1 workout.

At the 5+ point for bench, I hit 10 reps.

I increased the angle on the chest press for added difficulty

I question my sanity ending this one with HIIT pushups.  Let's just say that after bench, chest press, hypers and direct core work keeping intensity up on the pushup wasn't easy. 

When I was done, I tried to push myself up to stand up and just couldn't.  I had nothing left in my upper body.  I ended up just laying on the floor for a few minutes to catch my breath, then rolled over to sit up lol.

• Like 1

level 4 Gnoll warrior

I know I haven't been listing workout babble here, but that's mostly because my routine is already posted.

This morning I stood and looked in the mirror at my body composition.  I weighed in at 215.8 this morning.  My original goal set back in January was to hit 215.  I thought I'd be happy with it but here I gazed upon myself and was not satisfied.  My current goal is 210 but I don't think I'll be satisfied then, either.  I have more body fat to lose.

I might push down to 200lbs, which I haven't weighed in a very long time.  I'm a tall guy (193cm, 6'4") so part of me feels that 200lbs might be too thin...yet...I look in the mirror and see more body fat around the mid section than I care to, by far.  I don't see any improvement, with an 18lb difference.  Everybody else says they see it though.  Hell, I can see my dimples again and I lost those long ago.

I'm not sure how to reconcile this.

level 4 Gnoll warrior

I get where you're coming from.  I'm the slimmest I think I've ever been, but I'm definitely not as confident as I have been in the past. You'd think the two would go hand in hand, but that's not always the case.  The trouble is that whatever number you have in your head, it will always be wrong.  Forget about the number, and just go with how you feel.  And remember to try and look at yourself objectively and enlist others to help you. Often you are the last person to really see the changes, getting someone else to give you their opinion can be pretty helpful. 

You can send me some pics if you want and I'll give you an honest opinion.

What?!?!?! I'm just being helpful! :D

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I get where you're coming from.  I'm the slimmest I think I've ever been, but I'm definitely not as confident as I have been in the past. You'd think the two would go hand in hand, but that's not always the case.  The trouble is that whatever number you have in your head, it will always be wrong.  Forget about the number, and just go with how you feel.  And remember to try and look at yourself objectively and enlist others to help you. Often you are the last person to really see the changes, getting someone else to give you their opinion can be pretty helpful. 

You can send me some pics if you want and I'll give you an honest opinion.

I actually took my first progress picture this morning.  I wish I had one from 6 months ago when I began to compare it to...but better late than never, no?

level 4 Gnoll warrior

Yeah, my biggest regret is not taking pictures. I was just too embarrassed by them at the time. You'll still get a good comparison by the end of the challenge though...

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Yeah, I'm currently 214 as of the latest weigh in so I'm not sure how much of a difference there will be when I hit 210.  I might post the picture, still wrestling with that one.

level 4 Gnoll warrior

Ah, eff it.

This morning, 5.5 months into my fitness journey and 19lbs lighter than I began.  I hate how I look - but that's part of why I am doing all this, no?

progress1_zpsa857f574.jpg

• Like 2

level 4 Gnoll warrior

Shit man! You made it sound like you had loads still to lose. There's a fair bit of definition there already. A few more pounds definitely will make a visible difference.

*shakes head in bewilderment* God, you guys are just as bad as us girls, you know that?

• Like 1

So, I started 531 boring but big this week but I'm going into it very disheartened.  I really feel like my height has me at a disadvantage if I ever wanted to compete.  Being a tall fella, I carry more weight on me than it looks like.  That really sucks when it comes to weight classes.

I'm honestly struggling with my age these days as well.  My numbers are just creeping up.  My body fat % is moving slllooowwwllyyy.  Lately I've been questioning myself.  What the hell am I doing?  Why am I beating myself all to hell like this at my age?  Years of desk jobs and bad diet have messed me up pretty bad.  I really don't think it's possible to be fit, sometimes.

level 4 Gnoll warrior

I can relate to this. I'm 42 with a desk job. I have definitely had moments were I've wondered if I was ever going to get where I wanted to be and if it was worth it. Times were I've been busting my ass, feeling like a lean mean lifting machine...and yet I look like a freaking pillow. Just wanting to look like I've been putting in the effort that I have. There is a few things I focus on at times like this.

First, do I enjoy the process? I love lifting. I would do it regardless of practically any results outside of being able to lift more. I just stop focusing on goals for a moment and enjoy the ride. I do have to be careful not to stop caring completely and undo the progress I have made. But yeah...just lift to be lifting. Being goal oriented is good, but you don't want to get burnt out. I think this is the point where a lot of people throw in the towel and they say just fuck it...I'm done. You're not one of those people. You ARE a lean mean lifting machine. You are a badass. You are beating yourself up so that others can't.

There was a first, so logic would dictate there be a second...but I forgot what I was going to say next. Something something, I don't know, maybe tall guys have mechanical advantages in certain lifts? Sounds reasonable. Long arms are good for deadlifts.

Anyway. Go. Crush weight. Work through this. Rely on the process. Trust the program and come out the other side a little bit harder.

• Like 2

"When I say 'Ascend to a higher level of consciousness'...you say 'HOW HIGH, SIR?!'"

- B Katt

Level 2 Warrior

Challenges - 1 - 2

Looks like you haven't posted in a while, so I'm just bumping this to see how it's going :D

I have back issues as well, and deadlifting has made all the difference for me. I can't lift like someone with a healthy back, but going from having a 25lb lifting restriction, to routinely doing 125 lbs 5x5, I can tell you I FEEL the difference every day.

Do you have a pedometer? I have a desk job, too, and I got myself a fitbit to encourage myself to be more active overall. I park a quarter mile away. I walk to the farthest bathroom and then walk the building once. I walk around conference rooms while I wait for meetings. I walk to someone's desk when I need to talk to them. Every little bit helps, and it keeps me from sitting too long, which really aggravates my back. I shoot for 8,000-10,000 steps a day, and I think it's helped me lean out.

Scale weight is a big, fat, head game. Last night I tried on a pair of pants that I wore when I met my husband, 30 lbs lighter than I am today. They not only fit over my hips, I was -><- close to buttoning them. I'm actually still in shock. My scale number is still way higher than I'd like, but my body LOOKS different from the weight lifting. The biggest issue I have is that my stomach is still not anywhere near being flat. Not a chance. I remember I had this same feeling the last time I lost a significant amount of weight. I'm not sure my tummy will EVER be flat and amazing like all the other weight lifting women I've seen. It's genetic, there's not a damn thing I can do about it. But at the end of the day I ask myself: what would I do differently? The answer is that I"ll always lift. I'll always work on being healthy. It doesn't MATTER what "trouble areas" I still struggle with, I'm going to keep going anyway. Maybe in a year or two they'll decide to cooperate. Regardless, my overall goal of being healthier will always be there.

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

I bounce back and forth between here and my challenge threads.  I tend to use this for more general contemplations and musings for the long term and the battle logs for the day to day stuff. :)

level 4 Gnoll warrior