Ic abiede thu gegretan!

I bid you greetings to my Epic Quest Thread.

Here I will blend my faith [Heathenry] with my desire to be healthy and any research that I have done regarding fitness for a forty year old male. Like most of my threads this will be peppered with Old English [OE], some Old Norse [ON] and other languages that relate to my ancestors whom worshipped the Gods generally known as the Aesir and Vanir. 

Now my in thread title, Thom Asolcen translates as Thom the sluggish, idle, indifferent, dissolute. Basically Thom the Slacker, [by the way OE for slack is 'sleac']. This covers many areas of my life not just my health. I have depression, and struggle to keep active, productive and worthwhile. Which leads to the second part of my title.

Thom Cene translates to Thom the keen [literally], bold, brave, powerful, warlike, wise, learned, clever. Again this applies to more than just my health, but rather my whole life. In the word Cene I am able to encapsulate the positive traits that I wish to further develop. 

The concepts of Cene are also in the following Rune Poem:

Cén (torch) is to all of the quick (i.e., "living") ·known by its fire

Shining and bright · burns it oftest

Where the nobles · rest inside.

Here we have the torch fire representing knowledge, wisdom and the 'noble'. Remember the nobility in the first millenium BC/AD is vastly different to what we see as the nobility today.The Nobility had to lead by example, they were priests, generals, lawmakers, judges, warriors and poets all rolled into one. 

So too do I seek to become 'noble' an Atheling. Not by blood or birth, but by deed. Heathenry is all about the Deeds that make a person what they are. You are your deeds, you are the sum of all of your actions in life, the good, bad and ugly.

In a way this thread will encapsulate all of this, but it will focus primarily upon the fitness and wellbeing part. The powerful warrior, which I have called Thom Ulfhedinn. 

Now I am not a warrior by a long shot, nor am I a military man. I will not insult such men by claiming that I am something that I am not. I can however become as fit as a warrior of my age can be. This is how I am viewing my health/fitness goals now. 

Over the next few days I will set up my long term fitness goals and my current ability here. Then at the end of every second or so challenge I will test myself over the various exercises and update my current ability. I do suspect that many of these may take a few years to achieve, but I am happy with this. However I hope to achieve all of them within five years. After that I will be happy to maintain my fitness level, rather than expand further. One key to wisdom is to know when you have succeeded and when to be content with what you have rather than strive for more in misery.

• Like 8

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

So my long term fitness goals. With these goals I am aiming to achieve all of these within a 2-5 year time frame.

Weight Loss: Target- 92kg 

Bodyfat Percentage: Target- 17%

Waist Circumference: Target- <94cm 

T-Shirt size: Target- Large/102cm 

Jeans Size: Target- large/92cm 

Clapping Push Ups: Target- 4sets of 7reps

Number of Push Ups in 2 minutes: Target- 40

Max Pull Ups: Target- 12 

Pull Ups Sets: Target- 4sets of 7reps 

Number of Sit Ups in 2 minutes: 

Max Plank time: Target- 3minutes 

Number of Burpees in 2 minutes: Target- 30 

Beep Test: Target- 7.5 

2.4km run time: Target- 12 minutes 

5km run time: Target- 25 minutes 

25km hike with 20kg pack: 4 hours 30min

Farmer's Walk 150m: Target-20kg/2min

Static Lift [ground to 1.45m]: Target- 40kg

When I first wrote these up back in April, I didn't know that I would hit some of them by May. Trouser size for example, I am now wearing 92cm jeans. So target achieved.

The first five are more about how I look and the clothes I wear. With the rest of my body composition measurements it is all about looking fit and in proportion. The waist circumference is based upon the standard measurements used by the Australian medical profession. Apparently this circumference is ideal for health. I have come across a couple of body builder websites that talk about ideal body proportions but they smacked more of pretty muscles than being healthy. Not my focus. 

I am probably going to be doing a mud run next year. Completing that would be awesome. Then my ongoing goal would be to better my time each year.

I have toyed with the idea of doing a marathon or half marathon. Just for the sake of doing one. But at this stage I am not sure, it would definitely be nearer the five year mark than anything. 

The Farmer's Walk and Static lift are the listed requirements [Royal Army], but I know that I will exceed the weights listed within my timeframe. 

With the running, the speeds listed would give me an 8 minute mile. I can do a mile in 14 minutes 30 sec at the moment. This isn't specifically listed but is an implied goal.

• Like 1

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Awesome quest, Thom! As fellow non-traditionalist in the area of spirituality (Hey, wait a minute! Wouldn't we be the REAL traditionalists?), I really like how you are framing your quest to give yourself inspiration and a tried and true pathway to follow. If we can keep ourselves from injury (creeeak!), we oldsters should be kicking whippersnapper butt over the next few years - Ha!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Due to my Diploma in HR and Management, I have been reviewing my life goals in various areas. My fitness goals have been listed in this thread, with a fair amount of detail. I am going to add the other life area goals [as set out my my course] here as well. In reality who we are is a vast complex of ideas, attitudes, desires, dreams, experiences and personalities. Most of us share primarily our fitness personality here. I have been blessed to know several Rebels whom have shared far more of their lives than their fitness. I have shared a fair bit of my Theodisc Geleafa [OE] or tribal beliefs here on Nerdfitness. It has been well received, I have also shared my depression here as well, and have been encouraged. Now I share more of my hopes and dreams with my dear friends and fellow Rebels.

Lifetime Goals [10 – 20+ years]

Career:

'What level do you want to reach in your career, or what do you want to achieve?'

To work in a position that matches the Greens ethos, and my own Heathen Ethics. Providing a sound income to support my family. Either as a small business owner or in a middle management level. Possibly as a political representative at state or national level. My political activities could be in a supporting role for an active Greens politician. I would also like to be a published author/blog writer.

Financial:

'How much do you want to earn, by what stage? How is this related to your career goals?'

I would like to firstly earn enough income to stay off of Centrelink benefits. In the short term this would be about $30 - 45,000PA in Ten years I would like that to be Over $80,000 and in twenty years the equivalent based upon CPI and Award payment standards. Purchase land and build an environmentally friendly house.

Education:

'Is there any knowledge you want to acquire in particular? What information and skills will you need to have in order to achieve other goals?'

I would like to finish this Diploma in the short term. I would like to complete my BA within the next ten years. Beyond this I would like to increase my learning in various ways that would be relevant to my work and lifestyle as life progresses. Senior First Aid Certificate, and possibly the following courses HR drivers license, Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, Cert IV in OH&S. Along with my ongoing study of my ancestral culture.

Family:

'Do you want to be a parent? If so, how are you going to be a good parent? How do you want to be seen by a partner or by members of your extended family?'

I am already a father of six children. I seek to improve my parental skills so that I do not shout as much at my kids. It is my hope that I can encourage each of my children to become self reliant, devoted to family, thoughtful, and willing to work to get what they want in life. I hope to be seen as a man who has overcome many difficulties to achieve his goals. I wish to be someone worth emulating, an inspiration, a role model, a caring, approachable, wise, fun loving father, friend and confidant. Buy a home for my family.

Artistic:

'Do you want to achieve any artistic goals?'

To continue building my Adelewolf product line. Explore and expand further my skills in pyrography and glass engraving. Possibly start writing poetry again. Maybe a gallery exhibition of my work.

Attitude:

'Is any part of your mindset holding you back? Is there any part in the way that you behave that upsets you? [if so, set a goal to improve your behaviour or find a solution to the problem].'

What is holding me back the most is my Depression, and a fear of success. My short temper and grumpy nature at home, I am also lazy and forgetful. I need to work to overcome these things on a daily basis.

Physical:

'Are there any atheletic goals that you want to achieve, or do you want good health deep into old age? What steps are you going to take to achieve this?'

I am currently working on this goal. I wish to lose 23kg, reduce my body fat percentage to 17%. Be able to do clapping push ups, pull ups, run 5km in less that half an hour, perform Turkish Get Ups with a 48kg kettle bell, Mud run, masters games, a half marathon, or even full marathon, Nerd Fitness RTW!

Pleasure:

'How do you want to enjoy yourself? [You should ensure that some of your life is for you!]'

Learn a martial art, learn highland broadsword, go hiking, camping with the kids/grandkids, be more romantic with my love, get married, read more, do stuff with family. Lots of stuff listed above. Learn Old English. Increase my knowledge of my ancestral culture. Teach this culture to my children and grandchildren on a regular basis.

Public Service:

'Do you want to make the world a better place? If so, how?

As stated in my Career goal, become more active with the Australian Greens at a regional, state and/or national level. 

So as you can see I have some overall guidelines of what I want to achieve in the next 20 odd years of my life. I have included Grandchildren even though I do not currently have any, as I expect that in the next 10 - 20 years I will have some [even my youngest will be 23 in twenty years time]. This plan then goes on to give each area a five year set of goals, when then get broken down to a one year plan, with monthly steps and daily to do lists. 

Depending on how I feel I may share more details in my epic quest thread. 

• Like 2

Now for my current level of health compared to my ideal targets listed earlier.

Weight Loss: Target- 92kg current- 115.4kg

Bodyfat Percentage: Target- 17% current- 31.06%

Waist Circumference: Target- <94cm current- 114cm

T-Shirt size: Target- Large/102cm current- 2-3XL

Jeans Size: Target- large/92cm current- 92cm GOAL ACHIEVED

Clapping Push Ups: Target- 4sets of 7reps current 3 sets of 7 reps standard push ups

Number of Push Ups in 2 minutes: Target- 40 current- 14

Max Pull Ups: Target- 12 current 0

Pull Ups Sets: Target- 4sets of 7reps current 0

Number of Sit Ups in 2 minutes: Target- 55 current 24

Max Plank time: Target- 3minutes current 1minute 16sec

Number of Burpees in 2 minutes: Target- 30 current 13

Beep Test: Target- 7.5 current 2.6

2.4km run time: Target- 12 minutes current 21min 14sec

5km run time: Target- 25 minutes current 50min 11sec

25km hike with 20kg pack: 4 hours 30min not tested

Farmer's Walk 150m: Target-20kg/2min not tested

Static Lift [ground to 1.45m]: Target- 40kg not tested

I hope to test myself on the last two soon. I am not in a position at this point in time to test the hike, so I will leave it for now.

• Like 2

Nice progress in defining your long term goals for a well-rounded and satisfying life!

I'm doing much the same in my journal and it will be showing up on my epic soon, too. It's a good feeling to get those things defined and start turning them into real, doable goals. For me, it helps with the depression (yeah, me too) when I can see that there are small steps to take today to get me where I want to go. Otherwise, it can just seem so overwhelming that I give up before I start.

Having a place to put that into practice has been one of the really cool things about NF. Sounds like it has been much the same for you.

Seeing how open you are on here is an inspiration, Thom. Best of luck on all your goals!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Recently I found an old back up disk of mine from 2006. On it was my goal list from the year 2003. Looking at it I can honestly say that I have not completed very many of these goals at all. Thom Asolcen is accurate in deed. Here are those goals as written back then.

HEALTHEALTH I need to lose weight, eat healthier and exercise regularly. I currently weigh 112kg. My goal is to be 95kg. Therefore I need to lose 17 kilos. I wish to lose this amount by this midsummer December 19, 2003. That gives me 19 weeks to achieve this goal. I will need to lose one kilo per week in order to achieve this goal.

I must increase the amount of exercise that I do each week. I am currently doing very little, so I shall need to increase this dramatically. The first thing that I shall do is stretch every morning. My stretching routine used to take about 15-20 minutes. This will help tone my body, and increase my flexibility.

I shall also start walking on a daily basis. The old racetrack next door to me will give me a one and a half km walk if I walk this at a brisk pace it will increase my heart rate and burn off excess calories thus burn off the weight each day. I shall also start riding 1-2 per week, which actually involves a lot of physical movement on the part of the rider. I think that I should actually start looking at doing my hammer swinging exercises again as well this will build up my strength as well as my stamina. It is also a great cardio-vascular workout.

I shall need to eat smaller meals and also cut out the junk food in my diet that includes the bickies, ice cream, and chocolates that I have been eating lately.

It is my belief that these steps will help me to achieve my goal to lose 17 kilos by the 19 of December 2003.

HEALTH GOAL

To lose 17 kilograms by the 19 December 2003.

Steps to achieve this goal:

1         Start stretching exercises on a daily basis

2        Walk 1.5km every day

3        Go riding twice a week

4       Perform Thrud hammer exercises three times per week

5        Eat smaller meals at meal times

6       Cut out the extra helpings of food at meals

7        Minimise the chocolates, ice creams, and biscuits.

Ã…    Ã…    Ã…     Ã…    Ã…

SPIRITUAL My goal here is to become the KENGAR THEOD’s first Lorekeeper. With this goal the time frame is already a given. I must be forty before I can become a Lorekeeper. So I have ten years in order to learn all that I need to become a Lorekeeper. My first steps would be to start meditating a minimum of 3 times per week, for at least a half hour at a time. I should also perform the Awakening of the Irminsul everyday. These alone will increase the flow of maegen into my physical body. Every week we should see to it that the house-ghosts are fed their porridge.

It is also time for the Kengari to join the Ealdriht and start learning from them. I will need to do their learners Larcuthe, followed by their Thegn’s Larcuthe then move onto their equivalent of Lorekeeper’s Larcuthe. These courses will give me the spiritual academic grounding that I shall need for this goal.

Studying philosophy and religion via open learning will also help in covering my more academic aspects of my spiritual studies. Linguistics and literature will also help.

I will also need to devote some time to actually writing the Blessing Book, the Lessons for Thralls, and also my first book; ‘White Man Tribalism – the birth of Australian Theodish Belief’. I think two hours twice per week should give me plenty of time to fulfil this aspect of my goal.

I shall also commit to paying the geld to the Theod that I should be paying. That geld is $20 per fortnight. So from this pay forth I will not miss a gelding to the Theod’s account. This is only proper for me to do as the Thane and Jarl of the KENGAR THEOD.

SPIRITUAL GOAL

To become the first Lorekeeper of the KENGAR THEOD by Yule of 2013.

Steps to achieve this goal:

1         Pay $20 per fortnight geld to the Theod

2        Perform the ‘Awakening of the Irminsul’ meditation daily

3        Meditate on our thews three times per week

4       Join the Ealdriht, and start their training courses.

5        Give porridge to the ‘Tomte’ every Thunresdaeg morning

6       Enrol in the Philosophy and Religion studies via open learning

7        Write the books for our Theod for two hours twice per week

Ã…    Ã…    Ã…     Ã…    Ã…

EDUCATIONAL Much of this goal is actually linked to my spiritual goals. But the focus here is on the academic studies that I wish to do. The first is doing the religious studies available through Open Learning Australia. This will be followed by studying philosophy, linguistics and literature and Australian studies to make up a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Philosophy. I am also interested in studying financial advising or brokering as a way of increasing my income in the short term. I would also like to study ancient history and do post graduate studies in Anglo-Saxon English history. My aim is to become a TAFE Lecturer in philosophy and history.

EDUCATIONAL GOAL

To gain my BA in Philosophy by Midsummer 2006. Then go on and get a BA in Ancient History by Yule 2013.

1         Enrol in Religious Studies and Philosophy with OLA, for the first study period in 2004.

2        Work out a course of study to obtain degree.

3        Study two units per OLA study period until degree is obtained

4       After obtaining first-degree, research into studying Ancient History.

5        Gain Information Technology Certificate II, by end of 2003.

In the past eleven years I have completed the following goals of this list:

Spiritual Goal Seven, the small compilation books for my Heathen group to use as a basis for rituals and introductory lore. 

Education Goal Five, I was actually studying this course when I wrote these goals. 

I could say that I have worked on Education goals One and Two, but I have yet to gain a degree.

I did join the Ealdriht [a US based heathen group that offered decent study courses on Anglo-Saxon Heathenry at the time] however the organisation imploded withing a year of our joining. We were the first Australian [and second non-US] group affiliated with them. Actually my group was the first Anglo-Saxon Heathen group in Australia period.

So fast forward eleven years and many of these goals are very similar to those I have set above. Thom Asolcen was the right choice of name here. Of course I was still living with my first partner [and mother of my son Theo], hence the horse riding. We were buying our own home at the time, which we sold to move from Western Australia to South Australia. Our relationship ended in 2007, I had a breakdown in 2008 and started taking my anti depressants from that time. 

I also found my goals from 2005, which I wrote just after we moved to South Australia [which got us closer to my ex's family]. Again they are shared verbatim below;

HEALTH

GOAL:     To lose 25 kilograms to reach my target weight of 90 kilograms.

TARGET DATE:     Yule 2006, 17th June 2006

BENEFITS:      Overall increase in fitness and wellbeing. Heathens are strong in mind, soul and body. This goal will help make my body stronger.

OBSTACLES:     Current diet, personal laziness and unwillingness to make life long changes to diet and exercise programme.

SUPPORT:     I have the support of my family and my kinfolk and of my beliefs. I know that I will be given encouragement from Geri, Leif, Spirit, Blade and Jamie to succeed in this goal.

ACTIVITIES:  

·                     Walk for a minimum of 30 minutes per day.

·                     Do hammer exercises for 15 minutes, for a minimum of 3 times per week.

·                     Do stretches twice a day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

·                     Improve diet by eating smaller meals and more fruit and vegetables. Minimize junk foods and unhealthy snacks. Restart vitamin intake. Drink 2 litres of water daily. Look at other ways of improving health and fitness, and taking them on as I can afford to.

SHORT TERM GOALS, DATES AND REWARDS:

·                     To lose 6 kilograms by Ostara 2005, 17th September 2005. A book by Anita Bell.

·                     To lose 12.5 kilograms by Midsummer 2005, 17th December 2005. A Trekking Pole.

·                     To lose 18.5 kilograms by Winter Nights 2006, 18th of March 2006. New jeans.

·                     To lose 25 kilograms by Yule 2006, 17th June 2006. A new tunic and boots for Blessings. Goal completed A great boast for sumble!!

EDUCATION

GOAL:     To successfully complete my Certificate IV of Workplace Training and Assessment.

TARGET DATE:     Yule 2006, 17th June 2006.

BENEFITS:      Qualification as a lecturer/trainer, will provide further employment opportunities. It will also allow me to develop a full training syllabus with Leif for Asatru Australia.

OBSTACLES:     Changes to the syllabus. Ability to pay for the course. Ability to attend the course. Ability to complete the course successfully.

SUPPORT:     The support of my family and Kindred, especially Leif and Geri. My ability to commit to on-campus study. My natural intelligence, and previous experience in adult education.

ACTIVITIES:  

·                     Enrol in Semester two units.

·                     Attend classes.

·                     Do the additional work at home.

·                     Enrol for rest of course units next year.

·                     Enrol in semester 2 units by the 31st of July 2005. A coffee in Mount Barker.

·                     Successfully complete Semester 2 units by Midsummer 2005, 17th December 2005. A Midsummer Boast and book on Heathenry.

·                     Enrol in remainder of course by 31st January 2006. A coffee in Mt Barker.

·                     Successfully complete remaining units by the end of Semester 1 in 2006. [Yule 2006 17th June 2006 approx] Certificate award ceremony, Yuletide boast and book on Heathenry.

SPIRITUALITY

GOAL:     To become a Skald of Folkvangr Kindred in deed as well as name.

BENEFITS:      Increased personal and tribal maegen. Respect within the Folkvangr Kindred. Greater knowledge gained of our thews. Increased respect for Folkvangr within the Heathen/Pagan community.

OBSTACLES:     Personal laziness, outside commitments.

SUPPORT:     Friends and family. Personal sense of self respect. Encouragement from Leif and Geri. Courage of convictions, beliefs in thews and Gods.

ACTIVITIES:

·                     Attend every Folkvangr sponsored event.

·                     Complete Kengari Blessing Book.

·                     Develop Calendar/Diary for sale by the Kindred.

·                     Contribute to the Folkvangr Website and Discussion Boards.

·                     Take an active role in Folkvangr Blessings.

·                     Connect to the internet. Ostara 2005, 17th September 2005. Use of internet for communication and research into thews.

·                     Write Kengari Blessing book. Midsummer 2005, 17th December 2005. Completion of lore basics for Kengar Theod. A bottle of Mead.

·                     Create the Heathen Diary. Yule 2006, 17th June 2006. Silver trims to Drinking horn.

WEALTH

GOAL:     Purchase Udal Lands for Freahol Hearth.

TARGET DATE:     Yule 2010, 19th June 2010.

BENEFITS:      Stable home. Can create small grove for private worship of the Gods. Security of owning own home.

OBSTACLES:    Cost of housing in murraylands area. No deposit. Unemployment. Ability to service loan.

SUPPORT:       Willingness to save, Encouragement from family and friends to buy own home. Determination to own our own home.

ACTIVITIES:

·                     Create Budget with Savings plan.

·                     Gain permanent employment.

·                     Save a deposit for home.

·                     Look for appropriate properties.

·                     Create Budget with Savings plan. 31st July 2005. A drink in town.

·                     Get a job by Midsummer 2005, 17th December 2005. A new pair of jeans/trousers.

·                     Save $1000. Yule 2006, 17th June 2006. A Robert Kiyosaki book.

FAMILY

GOAL:     To build a stronger, happier and healthier family.

BENEFITS:      A happier and more peaceful home life. A willingness to be together and enjoy life as a strong unit. Greater self esteem and self confidence for every member of the family. A sense of self worth and self respect for each member of the family.

OBSTACLES:     Laziness by family members. Past issues affecting the present. Outside influences. Negative people unduly affecting moods of family. Unwillingness to change by family members. Lack of financial resourses.

SUPPORT:       Family wanting a better life. A willingness and desire to improve our relationships. support from positive people and friends. An acceptance of personal responsibility. A willingness to forgive.

ACTIVITIES:  

·                     Regular family outings.

·                     Encourage Geri and Theo build a better bond between themselves.

·                     Share with family our dreams, goals, successes, failures, and adventures.

·                     Encourage dream building, goal setting and achievement within family.

·                     Develop further understanding, forgiveness and tolerance of each other.

·                     Become involved in the activities of Geri and Theo, and include them in my activities.

·                     Bring Ricki home. 31st July 2005. To see Geri and Theo feed Ricki together.

·                     Buy Holley and bring her home. Ostara 2005, 17th September 2005. A kiss from Geri.

·                     Go to a new town for day trip. 31st August 2005. Fun day out with family.

·                     Help Geri enrol in Stablehand course. 31st July 2005. Trip to Adelaide for enrollment.

Theo's mother [Geri] had not abandoned us at this stage, and I was still optimistic that we could get our relationship to work. Ricki and Holley are the names of her horses.

As can be seen I have read many self help books and learned a fair bit about goal setting.

Note my weight loss goal is still pretty much the same from 2003, 2005 and now.

The biggest difference between this year and the past eleven years is that I have been far more consistent this year [the last six weeks not withstanding]. It is this consistency that is helping me to succeed where I have failed over the past decade. I will become Thom Cene for the past six months have been successful for me. 

Heilsa!

Great thread! Some great goals you have.

I need to work on my spiritual goals myself I am also a follower of the old ways, but I am still in the beginning stages of learning... It is something that has gone to the wayside too often, then comes back in a huge wave then slips away again.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

There are quite a few of us on NF. I am beginning to think that a heathen accountabilibuddy group might be an idea.

• Like 2

I thought about that, but i didnt know if there were any others here.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Enough to fill a group easily.

You are welcome illuviel. After a break I am returning to NF to once again battle against the Thurses in my life.

On Tuesday night I had a break down. Wednesday alone in the house I wrote a letter to my Bec saying the stuff I need to do in order to fix myself. I am adding it here unaltered as I feel it fits well within the epic quest parameters. I was at the bottom and this is my way of getting out of that dark pit.

I am at a point where I think self-harm is a good thing. The pain distracts from the stuff in my head. And maybe a physical injury may just let people see that there is something wrong.

You want me to be better, to not give up. To get better and be better and possibly become the best I can be. Then I need to do the following things;

I need far more protein in my diet. Less than 15% is not good. Even basic health guidelines say 25% of your macronutrients should be from proteins. To be at my best I need 30%. That means I need protein rich foods for me to eat on a daily basis, tins of tuna, bacon, eggs, beans.

I need to be on Nerd Fitness. When I look back over the past couple of years, I was doing best when I was on Nerd Fitness several times per week. The positivity there helps counteract the negativity in my head.

I need to do strength training three times per week. If I am not strong then I cannot do anything.

I need to walk for at least 30 minutes everyday. For most of my life when I was well I walked 5 km per day every day.

I need to build a sacred space in the garden. I need a place to hold Blot at the turnings of the seasons. I need to hold Blot at the turnings of the seasons.

I need to be able to perform small weekly offerings to my Ancestors.

I need to be able to perform small weekly offerings to the Cofgoda, the house ghost.

I need to be able to perform small weekly offerings to the Vaettir, the land spirits.

I need to attend one SCA meeting per month.

I need to be part of the Hall Committee and attend there monthly meetings, so that I am giving to this community that we live in. I also need to help with setting up with the hall as needed.

I need to attend my TAFE course.

I need to attend at least one other market other than the Tarcutta market each month.

I need to spend at least ten hours per week working on Adelewolf stuff.

I need to do SCA training and making stuff at least five hours per week.

I need a set morning and evening routine. According to the Art of Manliness website men need set morning and bedtime routines to improve their wellbeing and productivity. Part of this means going to bed and getting up at the exact same times everyday. Journal writing, reading, exercise, personal grooming and task planning are all things that should be part of either the morning or nightly routine. This link leads to the article about this. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/09/05/bookend-your-day-the-power-of-morning-and-evening-routines/

I need to spend one hour per day doing housework that is not cooking or picking up shit.

I need to spend at 5-10 hours per week in the garden. No good honouring landwights and then not attending to the gardens. No good talking about needing fresh vegetables and herbs if I don’t grow them.

I need to spend two hours per week looking and applying for work in order to keep my Newstart payments.

I need to stretch daily to keep my body flexible and limber, and to prevent it seizing up. I used to do a stretching routine every morning and was far more flexible than anyone my age and build because of it.

• Like 1

Thom, all I can say is well done you! You have now got a list of your needs. I know that we as parents and partners often have a very hard time putting our needs into words then getting them out and then following through. You have taken the first step Ulfheddin, fucking awesome.

I wish you all the best with discovering you again, I wish you all the love in connecting with your spiritual side again, I wish you all the strength in having you, meet your needs!

Remember that everything you need counts too. Look at your list often and remember why you did this, to be healthy, happy and a better partner and Dad.

You can do this Thom!

Wait! What............?

Thanks Leanne. That means a great deal to me.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iPhone.

Replace "need" with "will" and get to it, friend. Make your ancestors proud. I know you've made all of us Rebels proud

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1),  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6), Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

Hmm good point my friend

Woden uses ravens, I use an iPhone.

So I have started on this:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/72112