Just ran into a big problem

I have no idea why this never crossed my mind before. 

So I'm doing this Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) at the Texas Medical Center for the next six weeks and my schedule is packed. We are staying in the Rice University dorms BUT we are not allowed to use their Rec center and weight room. We have to go to the one in the Medical Center...which is an hour's walk away. 

I prefer in the mornings but I might be able to make concessions for the afternoon. They let us go at 5PM, gym closes at 10PM but the shuttles stop running at 8PM and even then, according to the medical and dental students, the bus schedule is pretty unreliable. They all give one piece of advice. DO NOT BE CAUGHT OUTSIDE AFTER DARK. And guess when it starts to get dark?

This problem might be solved by just doing bodyweight workouts in my room but that's my only other option if the gym doesn't work out. I still struggle to see results(For those who have been reading the "Weight loss and self image" thread) but I do not want to lose anything I might have gained. 

The even bigger problem is that we have no time to go out and grab our own lunch and dinner so we will mostly be eating in the hospital cafeteria. They have no nutritional information anywhere on their food or online for it so I have no way to count macros. 

Work out issue: Maybe it would be good to join the upcoming challenge and set some bodyweight workout related goals? The you could just focus on those for the 6 weeks and still get your workouts done in the morning? 

Food: Will you have a refrigerator? Will you be able to maybe grocery shop on weekends and just bring your lunch? 

• Like 1

- Kicking ass is comfort food.- 

Left The Shire: 2/7/14 Reached Rivendell: 6/2/14

Battle Log 

Challenges: 1

Work out issue: Maybe it would be good to join the upcoming challenge and set some bodyweight workout related goals? The you could just focus on those for the 6 weeks and still get your workouts done in the morning? 

Food: Will you have a refrigerator? Will you be able to maybe grocery shop on weekends and just bring your lunch? 

No fridges and I'm too far from home to go back and forth everyday. We can't eat inside the Rice dining hall either

Food: make your best guess and watch your food quality and portion sizes. No, it's not perfect but if you want to make some attempt at tracking your macros, it's better than nothing. Make smart choices when possible and do the best you can. It's the real world, it happens. :)

Workout: I'll second the recommendation for BW workouts. Alternatively, does anyone else in the program work out? Any of those people have a car? :) 

• Like 1

Dare I ask what happens after it gets dark?

That's what I was thinking.  Dangerous part of town or a high vampire population?

What about a bike?  3 miles or so on a bike is maybe 15 minutes.  Assuming a distance based on "an hour walk". 

What time in the AM would you workout? 

If you workout at say 5:30 am, does the "dark" rule still apply for the AM?  (would assume yes if the problem is vampires)

"Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A"

Challenge: #1

If you workout at say 5:30 am, does the "dark" rule still apply for the AM?  (would assume yes if the problem is vampires)

OMG ahahahaha.  I can't stop laughing at this.

Some campuses are just not very safe.  There are definitely areas of the local campus where I would prefer not to be when it's dark.  But here it's mostly late night, early morning is less of a concern.  All the big bads are beyond drunk and passed out by then.

If it's a very busy metro area, I'm surprised that the buses aren't very reliable.  Bus service here isn't 100% bang on but it's overall quite reliable.  I would ask around some of your fellow students and see if anybody wants to carpool and gym buddy with you if you chuck them some gas money every week.

Otherwise, life happens sometimes and you do what you can.  Workout in your dorm with bodyweight exercises, maybe grab a few workout DVDs or downloads and play them on your laptop.  Eat the best food you can find in the cafeteria and calculate for it on MFP the best you can.  It'll be okay!

• Like 1

wow that sounds like a boat load of suckkage all the way around. 

Playground and body weight sound like a great option for you right now.

Also investing in a bike or something. 

Since you are limited to those foods- start calorie counting rather than just going by "clean or not" it will help give you more options for hitting macros' than worrying about processed- unprocessed or whatever.

• Like 2