Hi all! 

I've joined the chat a couple times and really enjoyed meeting a couple of the regulars in there - Ratchetz (sp?), Catspaw, that other one who changes her name based on what she's doing..., spezzy, and that's just from memory.  I can tell that The Rebellion is going to suit me just fine. 

Lessee... I'm 27, been married for a year.  I was in the best shape of my life before my long distance boyfriend moved in--but, as they say, love causes weight gain!   :tongue: I was on track for a while, and even did numerous 5k, including the Warrior Dash, then I had a major set-back.  I developed a back injury, seemingly out of nowhere, that set me back considerably.  I found it difficult to work out due to muscle spasms and nerve pain.  I've regained about 23 pounds over the past year and a half.  You can't out-run the fork, especially if you're not moving. 

I've gotten the issues mostly under control thanks to the help of regular chiropractic care, but I'm still working on physical therapy to re-condition the muscles.  It really doesn't help that I'm so overweight.

I love to play PC games--I've been playing a lot of Guild Wars 2, and I'm gearing up for the release of Wild Star this weekend.  My husband and our friends play board games (like Firefly, and Risk), and card games (MTG), as well as console games (we had a Mario themed wedding).

My real-life end-game would see me at about 180 lbs, having fun in 5ks and not experiencing chronic back pain any more. 

Currently, I'm 243, have back pain daily, and I'd be considered sedentary except for the fact that I stand all day (even though I work at an office). 

The mini goals that I have to get to the end-game are to: 

1. Participate in my first 6-week challenge (I'm already signed up!) 

2. Transition to a paleo template

3. Remain committed to daily physical therapy

I'm really inspired by everyone's PRs and accomplishments.  If you'd like to welcome me and inspire me, tell me (in short) where you were when you started with Nerd Fitness and where you're at now.  I love to read success stories.

Best, 

Aminarra

• Like 2

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

Main Quest: Stay Focused!

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Battle Log | Current Challenge

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 4

Welcome to the Rebellion!!  I can see that you've jumped in with both feet!!  Wow.

New Rebels start in the Level 1 orientation area - did you find that area?  (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/352-level-1-rebels/)  Just like the tutorial levels in a new game, it will help get you on the right track.  You DO have great goals - for a challenge, you should make them more measurable and gradeable.

I'm an educational games researcher; so I know what you mean by a gamer's butt.  Currently, I'm not really playing anything myself but am trying to create and test a few new educational games and simulations. 

I've been here about two years - in which I've lost 7 pounds and 5% body fat.  Which doesn't sound like a lot, but it is a big reversal.  While in grad school, I started gaining weight big time (50+ pounds), and my doctor just wanted me to STOP gaining weight. 

And, in the past two years, I credit NF with keeping me sane, eating relatively well, and working out most days.  My family went through a lot of personal crises and transitions.  Knowing that I had to check in here was enough incentive to do something positive for myself each day.  It's a good place to be. 

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Welcome to the Rebellion!!  I can see that you've jumped in with both feet!!  Wow.

I've been here about two years - in which I've lost 7 pounds and 5% body fat.  Which doesn't sound like a lot, but it is a big reversal.  While in grad school, I started gaining weight big time (50+ pounds), and my doctor just wanted me to STOP gaining weight. 

My family went through a lot of personal crises and transitions.  Knowing that I had to check in here was enough incentive to do something positive for myself each day.  It's a good place to be. 

I'm a both-feet kind of person... lol 

Thanks for posting the link to the level 1 forum--that's definitely where I'll be kicking off the challenge.  I'll have to update my signature once I get back to my desk at work and see what I wrote down for goals--they were specific and measurable for sure :D

7 pounds in 2 years is no joke.  It's amazing when people can drop it fast, but I've been there where it can take a full year to lose just 5 pounds--but that year is spent growing in other areas and building solid habits for the future. 

Personal crisis, if we're being honest, contributed more to my weight gain than my back injury ever did.  I went into a tail spin and tried to stuff my feelings with food... that's when I shot up from 220 to 240.  After seeking counseling, that helped stop the skyrocket.  The back injury is just a complicating factor in getting back down towards my goal. 

The reason I am so ready to jump in with both feet is because I used to be an athlete.  I used to be able to do anything I wanted to try.  My mind remembers what that feels like, but now my body won't cooperate.  I was kicked out of the group fitness classes at my local gym because I pushed myself so hard that I nearly re-injured myself.  They knew I was supposed to be doing physical therapy instead of working out, and they could obviously see that I was in no shape to do boot camp--even with modifications. 

It's frustrating.  I want to get back to where I was.  That's why I think the challenges will be fun, and starting at square 1 will be fun.... so that I can level up as required and rebuild those skills.

So--as long as I know that I'm still a level 1 newb, is it okay to keep the ranger sigil?

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Sure, you can keep the sigil.  The rangers are a good bunch, and if you plan to join then, you might as well fly their flag.  Lycan Thom or Alienjenn will be checking up on you in the Level 1 area - so you can transition over smoothly. 

Coming back after being an athlete is SO HARD - major props!!  I broke my ankle while running 10 years ago, which derailed my karate, hockey, and running workouts.  That, combined with grad school (and family) was the perfect storm that gradually lead to the "how did that happen" realization that I was no longer fit.  I think changing eating patterns is one of the hardest things to do when injured since I was used to eating crap and getting by with it. 

You're gonna have fun here!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Mario themed wedding? That's so cool!!! Pix?

Welcome to the Rebellion!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Pix or it didn't happen! 

Okay, so "mario themed" wasn't completely accurate... Jeff (my guy) doesn't like to broadcast his nerdgeekery because his family gives him grief, so we just peppered our nerdiness into the celebrations.  I had a 1-up mushroom during our engagement shoot, Mario shoes during the wedding ceremony, and I had the DJ play the Mario Fanfare when I reached the end of the aisle (he didn't know about that sound byte and his face was unforgettable :D)  We had a reading from Firefly during the ceremony, and we played Kefka's theme during the garter toss.

The 2nd reception that we held in Canada was much more Mario themed.

OgcQt.jpg

5hQmxAnl.jpg

232SgRpl.jpg

SRDjiZ7l.jpg

8LYrYnol.jpg

0gsf5RGl.jpg

• Like 2

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

No, YOU'RE awesome.

fantastic!!!! Love the shoes girlie!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

1. Participate in my first 6-week challenge (I'm already signed up!) 

2. Transition to a paleo template

3. Remain committed to daily physical therapy

I'm really inspired by everyone's PRs and accomplishments.  If you'd like to welcome me and inspire me, tell me (in short) where you were when you started with Nerd Fitness and where you're at now.  I love to read success stories.

Best, 

Aminarra

1) you'll post a link when the forums go up and you have your thread? (ok more demand than question!! :P )

2) i LOVE me some paleo... have been completely paleo for >18 months now

3) PT will help :) if you have a good therapist

my story?? in short... started lifting with the baby dumbells (5-8#) now I have a 100# bench, 200# deadlift and 135# squat... when I started I was 340... when I found nerdfitness I was around 300... now I am ~240... I gained a half inch due to posture and stretching my back... I couldn't walk a tenth of a mile... I am now able to run... and I am in training to hike the entire (2,200 mile) apalachian trail... I could say a million other things... but you did say in short ;)

welcome to the rebellion... and I can't wait to hear YOUR success story

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

1) you'll post a link when the forums go up and you have your thread? (ok more demand than question!! :tongue: )

welcome to the rebellion... and I can't wait to hear YOUR success story

Ah! Thanks AlienJenn - your story is fantastic, thanks for sharing it.  Now I get to follow your links and check out your battle log :D

Until the challenge starts, I'm updating my own log here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/48745-aminarras-quest-log/ 

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Ah! Thanks AlienJenn - your story is fantastic, thanks for sharing it. Now I get to follow your links and check out your battle log :D

Until the challenge starts, I'm updating my own log here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/48745-aminarras-quest-log/

I love sharing the long version too... but it's almost a novel now... ;)

The evil dancing circus monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Ahhhhhhh! Your wedding looked fantastic! And those shoes. *-*

Sorry, I got carried away. 

I'm also new so I can't wait to see your updates during the challenge! I know you'll do great. :)

• Like 1

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Hello and welcome to the Rebellion! I'm new here, but anxious to jump into the next challenge and get through it with everyone.

I love customized weddings! (Used to manage a catering company that did tons of weddings...the personalized ones were always so much more fun!).

• Like 1

1st Challenge | Current Challenge

"Eat a ton of protein. Squat heavy. Push heavy objects. Have sex. Love life." -Jim Wendler

Warrior Challenge Vanity Goal: 4k pushups in 6 weeks

31.3%
31.3%

1250/4,000

Ahhhhhhh! Your wedding looked fantastic! And those shoes. *-*

Sorry, I got carried away. 

I'm also new so I can't wait to see your updates during the challenge! I know you'll do great. :)

AH! Thanks Arya! I loved those shoes.... They were hell to actually wear, though :P 

I loved those parts of our wedding... I just can't help but to share more! :D

E6lKfOdl.jpg

^ The Hair

5fHGfyYl.jpg

^ The Bridal Party (4 of 10)

1Sqgt0Al.jpg

^ Me, jumping, in my dress, to show off my shoes :P

Lrid9u0l.jpg

^ Husband, during the garter toss to Kefka's Theme :P

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

No, YOU'RE awesome.

It makes me sad that my g/f isn't as nerdy as you. All of that was awesome.

About myself: before joining NF I was 360 pounds and couldn't do a pushup about a year ago.  I fell in love with sledgehammer workouts which transitioned into bodyweight workouts, along with using sledgehammers, kettelbells, and sandbags.I went from 4 minutes using a 10 lb sledgehammer and being a sweaty mess that was dizzy and cotton-mouthed to about 30 minutes with a 20 pound warhammer.  I also could only do wall push-ups.  I built up to 'desk-ups' to 'tire-ups' (on my tractor tire, Brutus) to eventually being able to do normal pushups. Lost 3 pants sizes and roughly 50 pounds, and can do 30 NORMAL push-ups- which is a life-first since I was morbidly obese back when I was in 5th grade and had to do like 10 knee push-ups.  I plan on doing a spartan race in august, which i'm nervous as hell about.

This community is the best thing that's happened to me and is the true saying, "You get out what you put in."

I made a home-gym:

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

Learned how to batch cook paleo/whole30 meals:

20140123_202833_zps7d45a609.jpg

And I have the support of a group of people I can practically call family:

20140524_125236_zpsh9bup4ho.jpg

It's a long battle, but I'm going to win it.  I know it.  Welcome to the rebellion.

• Like 2

Teros - 

Thanks for dropping in! 

I was reading about your home gym.. I forget where.. maybe in the chat room?  It's really ingenious how you thought to put ball bearings/weights in with the cement to make your weights heavier :D

I'm spoiled rotten, but I don't take advantage of it.  At home, I've got a BOSU ball, an exercise ball, a speed jump rope, 2x 5lb hand weights, workout DVD's, and access to Chrome Cast so that I can stream workout videos from YouTube.  I just haven't been motivated!! 

Since joining Nerd Fitness, though, I've started transitioning to Paleo, started getting consistent with my physical therapy, and started connecting with like-minded individuals. 

I really feel like having a support system in place is so helpful, and I'm so glad to have found it here. 

P.S. don't be sad that your g/f isn't more nerdy. I'm high maintenance :P

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Congrats to you for wanting to level up your life :)

I love GW2 as well! I can tell you my username when I get the internet at my place back in the next week or so, As it's Gamaryn.some random numbers I don't remember lol

I can't wait to hear more about your journey! Fellow Tyrian :P

Adventurer, Level: 1.

STR 2 | DEX  1 | STA 2 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

"Happiness can be found, Even in the darkest of times, If only one remembers to turn on the light." - Dumbledore.

“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for." - Sam.

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.†- Galadriel.

Gamaryn, that's great! What server are you on? I'm on Jade Quarry. Lately, though, I've just been doing map completion and guild missions. Been MIA quite a bit.

Are you playing wild star? I just started this week and I'm not sure if I'll stick with it yet. I like the tone of GW2 much better. We're on Warbringer if you want to play that one together, or I can roll an alt on another server

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Fair enough, Yeah I haven't played in awhile as we couldn't afford the internet for a bit due to financial reasons (bf lost his job) but we will be getting it back in a couple weeks finally! Hoorah!

And I believe I play on Tarnished Coast, My bf and I run a guild but I'm not sure what state it's in now. It's called Eternal Nights of Tyria [ENT]. My bf picked the name lol

How is Wildstar?? I really want to get into it, Really excited to do so!

It may be that Wildstar may take some time to get used to? I know I tried to go back to WoW after GW2 for a bit, And it was really weird after playing/being used to GW2 for so long lol.

Adventurer, Level: 1.

STR 2 | DEX  1 | STA 2 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

"Happiness can be found, Even in the darkest of times, If only one remembers to turn on the light." - Dumbledore.

“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for." - Sam.

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.†- Galadriel.

I bought gw2 but then I never played it because a bunch of other games came out. I loved gw1 though.  ritualist / mesmer / necro.

That's cool.  The thing I like best about GW2 is that there are no monthly fees.  You can pick it up and drop it as needed. 

I don't think I'm going to continue for long with Wild Star... it just seems like a waste of money if I'm not playing consistently.

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

No, YOU'RE awesome.

That's cool.  The thing I like best about GW2 is that there are no monthly fees.  You can pick it up and drop it as needed. 

I don't think I'm going to continue for long with Wild Star... it just seems like a waste of money if I'm not playing consistently.

That's how they hook you.  I'm cheap, so if I had to buy a game, I better make myself play it. (I also was waiting for a friend to wipe my computer out before I installed Gw2.) If I had to pay monthly; I would shirk every other responsibility to make sure I got my moneys-worth.

That's how they hook you.  I'm cheap, so if I had to buy a game, I better make myself play it. (I also was waiting for a friend to wipe my computer out before I installed Gw2.) If I had to pay monthly; I would shirk every other responsibility to make sure I got my moneys-worth.

Yeah... "Money's worth" - that's why I'm still playing.  It's been officially released for about a week, and I'm just over here like 'man, I paid $75 for this..?'

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

No, YOU'RE awesome.