Washington, DC suggestions

So,

work is sending me to DC for a week and i am extending my stay there for another weekend to try and explore a little.

DC has always been on my list of places to visit, but for everything I want to see, I need so much more than a day and a half.

So here are my questions.

a) Food: anything in particular I should try? I'll be out in the mclean, VA area for work and then staying in DC the weekend

B) Considering I only have a Friday eve, a Saturday and a Sunday morning to explore DC, can you give me any suggestions on what I should definitely look at that will give me the most "bang for my buck"? I am really big into history of places, and I love the idea of the Smithsonian as well. I want to see stuff, not go shopping lol

c) Are there any nerds out in DC, that would want to meet up for breakfast (i have met a lot of nerds already and would love to meet more)? I'll be out there and free all weekend 6/21

PS: my geography sucks, MODS if this is in the wrong section feel free to move or what not

Lvl 3 Half-Orc Warrior Assasin

Male, Age: 30

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 5- CON 2 - WIS 4  - CHA 3

Intro Post --- Current Challenge

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

Well no wonder I missed this - us DC nerds are in the South Atlantic thread. I'll point people to this thread, and I was planning to make a doodle for the next DC NF meetup today. Anyway, I'm in the area so I will gladly meet up! As for things to do, the Smithsonian alone could take all of your time (so take a look at the different museums and pick what you find to be the most interesting). Going to the monuments never gets old for me (also a history nerd), and food is all over the place. I'll try and come up with a few more concrete places to try. :)

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

I saw the fb thing, awesome! Would love to meetup, sorry i posted this in the wrong section.

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

I moved to DC after college and have lived here for about a year now. I'm no expert, but I have a few "favorite" spots for eating and tourism.

Favorite food spots in VA: Busara Thai in McLean. I always get the beef panang, which is really good, but my girlfriend loves the Pad Thai.

Favorite food spot in DC: U&Pizza. This place is like the Subway/Chipotle of pizza spots. All for around $9, you get to choose your own dough, sauce, and toppings, then they cook it on a conveyor betl in front of you, which all takes around 5 minutes. This is my top spot in DC.

Other food spots: Cafe Leopold in Georgetown, Fado Irish Pub in Chinatown, and the crepe guy at Eastern Market. There are some famous spots like Ben's Chili Bowl, but I haven't been there so I can't comment on it.

Favorite tourist spots: See the White House (from the front and the back), see the Capitol (call ahead to your Rep or Senator and request a tour; I used to be an intern there and I always loved giving tours because the inside of the Capitol is awesome), go up the Washington Monument (make a free reservation online; I forget the site, but I'm sure you can find it using Google), see the Lincoln Memorial and the WWII/Korean/Vietnam War Memorials, see the Jefferson Memorial (I still haven't seen this yet, actually, but I hear it's nice), walk down M Street and the waterfront in Georgetown (it's a beautiful area with lots of neat shops and cafes, plus the waterfront is beautiful).

Other tourist-y things: Walk around Chinatown (DC has a very small Chinatown, but that's because it has packed lots of goodness into a little space), visit the museums that interest you (National Archives are cool, Air and Space is cool, I've heard that the National Gallery and the Portrait Gallery are cool, and those are all free; I've also heard great things about the Newseum and the Spy Museum, but those cost monies).

I'm sure there's more, but I'll leave it at that and let the rest of the guys and girls fill you in on their favorite spots. There are so many quiet, tucked-away spots in DC and I think those tend to be the better ones than the big names or the fancy restaurants. Also, try Yelp. That's how I found all of my favorite food spots.

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

I just moved between DC and Baltimore and am in full tourist mode. If you only have a weekend just take a subway to the National mall and start walking.  You could easily spend two full days just walking in and out of free museums. Yes. I said FREE!!  This is one of the things I love most about this city.  Here's the full list of museums so that if one certain thing interests you, you can put it on your to do list:

http://www.si.edu/Museums/american-history-museum

If you're into airplanes and want to see one of the shuttles, the Udvar Hazy Center is *not* at the mall but I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure how close you'll be to it.

http://www.si.edu/Museums/air-and-space-museum-udvar-hazy-center

There's SO much to see in the DC area.  You could spend a month there and not see everything!  If you need any advice navigating the metro as a newb, feel free to ask me.  I just went through the painful experience of figuring it out. I'd never been on a subway before. lol

In training to be awesome! :highly_amused:

So thiiiis is where all of the Baltimore/Washington area nerds have been hiding. I'm a bit more near Bmore than DC, but I would recommend a trip to the zoo in DC. It's free, near a metro stop, and there's some decent Mediterranean places nearby. I enjoyed one of them with some friends a few weeks ago.

Oh yes, and there's a baby panda :)

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Ditto the zoo!!! That was fantastic. And all the memorials, definitely the Archives, and take your pick of the museums.

You could also take a stroll down Embassy Row, although if you have a limited amount of time that might not be as awesome as some of the other stuff that's already been mentioned.

If you're looking for a drink, go to Fox and Hound. Get a vodka tonic. Receive an entire glass of vodka with a small bottle of tonic.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I just want to point out that, already, you guys are awesome.

Of course I want to go to the zoo, of course i want to see ALL the museums, see the main monuments, buildings etc. I need to take off an additional 3 weeks to see all I want to look at, so I think i have officially decided to walk around the main "touristy area" for a day in DC (probably with a weighted ruck, because, well, why not?) and hang out with nerds where ever its decided to meetup.

I don't fly out till afternoonish that sunday, so i will probably to have some nightlifish fun to, without getting myself into to much trouble.