Ok, I have taken the first step...for the 10th time.  Taking the first step for me has never been the problem.  I am FANTASTIC at losing 10 lbs.  I have done it at least a dozen times.  I currently weigh 247lbs, and for you math guys and gals, that means I used to weigh 367lbs, right?  Nope.  I weigh the exact same as I did when I took my 1st "first step".

I need to see what it is like to take step two.  

A little about me.  I am the excuses guy that Steve was talking about in today's Blog post.  I am a 33 year old married father of 3.  I used to be in FANTASTIC shape.  Then I got really sick about 15 years ago and spent some time in the hospital.  Due to the metabolic shift my body took, I put on a bunch of weight. (Excuse #1.)  Ever since then, I have tried to get back into my former athletic form.  But I worked strange hours as a youth minister, and I had a small child at home.  So I never had any time to work out. (Excuse #2).  Now I have 3 children and I am gone from home during the week, and only get to see my family on the weekend.  While I am travelling, my routine is interrupted and when I am home, I want to spend time with my family, not with a barbell. (Excuse #3).  I also don't have time during the week to prepare my food and make healthy choices.  (Excuse #4).

As you can see, I have a million reasons why I can't lose weight.  And they all make perfect sense to me.  But unfortunately I can't excuse my way out of high blood pressure, or diabetes or heart problems.  So it is time to check the excuses at the door so that I don't get hung up on Step Two.  

I'm here.  Which means I am on my 11th Step One.  And as I am about to venture into uncharted waters, I am getting a bit overwhelmed.  The problem is, I am EXTREMELY well read in what to do.  I know the right things to do, I know the right things to eat.  I know what step two and three and four look like.  But there is something preventing me from taking them.  And it's not knowledge.  

I think it is commitment.  And from what I have read here, you guys are one committed bunch.  

So here I go, step one has been taken.  As Samwise Gamgee says, "If I take one more step, I will be the farthest away from home that I have ever been."

• Like 1

High there and welcome aboard.

Please don't be offended by my comments but after reading your post I perceive that your attitude/mind set is already leading you down a path to another faliure, your excuses are just that, excuses.

You know what you need to do, you know how to do it, so what's stopping you?.

"You don't have time to work out" sorry but we are talking about 15 minutes a day.

"You don't have time to prepare healthy choices" tonight I had five chicken drumsticks, plum tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber and some cheese all bought, the chicken was bought precooked, prep time ten minutes.

I really don't mean to offend but I know you well because I used to be you, excuses and all.

• Like 1

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.

I've lost a hundred pounds... and I can tell you it boils down to losing ten pounds once then twice then again and again... :D

you got this!!!

my kids and I hang out... we hike we climb trees we do all kinds of stuff together... that way we have physical time... AND family time... multiple birds minimal stones as my youngest likes to say :D

it's all about finding something that's FUN and doing it... exercise doesn't HAVE to be time with a barbell... my workout friday?? stupid human tricks... I planked and my 95 # son did sit ups on my back... then I planked and oldest boy (150#) did indlined pushups on my shoulders... then HE planked and I push uped on his shoulders... sometimes we do the monkey bars (I try)... sometimes we bike (we go on vacations where we visit our facorite trails)... we are planning to go hike the maryland challenge (42 miles through maryland on the apalachian trail) at the end of the month...

find YOUR race and run it... whatever it is!!!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Hey TiaFG,

Fellow 33 year old with excuses here! You planning to try the upcoming 6 week challenge? I'm hoping it helps me build some positive momentum and break through the start, stop, re-start, stop again holding pattern I've looped into. Sounds like you're coming from a similar place.

As alienjenn wrote, exercise doesn't have to be with a barbell. My last "on again" workout plan was barbell training based, and I just plain got bored with it and abandoned it. Thinking I need to rediscover some fun workouts (at least at the beginning) to get myself pumped about exercising again. Maybe you could find some creative ways to involve your kids/family in exercise? Hiking (make a fun game out of alternating carrying each of your kids for distance - a different take on Milo and the calf)? Backyard kickball? Swimming?

Anyway, hope you stick with it this time through! Join up on the next newbie challenge thread and I'll check in on your progress!

1st Challenge | Current Challenge

"Eat a ton of protein. Squat heavy. Push heavy objects. Have sex. Love life." -Jim Wendler

Warrior Challenge Vanity Goal: 4k pushups in 6 weeks

31.3%
31.3%

1250/4,000

So I never had any time to work out. (Excuse #2).

Home gym. 40 bucks. No traveling. No bad weather. No appropriate clothes.  Cheaper than a regular gym.

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

While I am travelling, my routine is interrupted and when I am home, I want to spend time with my family, not with a barbell. (Excuse #3).

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

refer to homegym if not.

I also don't have time during the week to prepare my food and make healthy choices.  (Excuse #4).

That's why you batch cook and never have to think about it again. Couple hours on the weekend to make everything. Now there's a meal ready in a couple minute to reheat.

20140123_202833_zps7d45a609.jpg

20140417_184502_zpsirgacrxy.jpg

Remove the excuse monster that lives in your brain that wants an easy way out.  If you plan ahead like this, there's no way it can get hold.

• Like 1

wise Teros is wise!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement, guys!  I am not easily offended Nightside, so your constructive criticism was exactly what I needed to hear.  I am looking for motivation and accountability here, and I feel you guys are going to keep me right on path.  

In the past, I have asked friends to help keep me accountable, but none of them told me the hard truths, or called me out when I slacked, for fear of offending.  I am glad to see that is not the case here.

Here are two goals I have: 1.  No more "convenience store" lunches.  2. Take 10,000 steps a day.   I will keep you posted on how that goes.

Yesterday I took 13,000 steps.  :) 

• Like 1

First; Welcome to the Rebellion. :)

Second; Yay! It's great that you signed up for the challenge! Good luck on everything and keep us posted on how everything goes. I'm sure you'll do great and we're all here to support you!

• Like 2

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Thanks Arya!  

I'm a bit lost at this point.  I read through the experience levels, and goals and such.  But I'm not really sure what to do with this info.  Is there a forum for the upcoming challenge where I sign up as well?  All I did was put my name into the Google Docs form...

And, in true n00b form... how do I get my signature as cool as you guys?

Haha, I'm also waiting for more announcements regarding the challenge. I think they'll create a forum soon with all the info we need to start. :)

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Welcome, TIAFG! I think these boards use BBCode, you'd have to do a little research to make a spiffy signature. Good luck on your first challenge. I suffer from a lot of the same excuses. ;)

I will be following your progress with interest, just remember two steps forward and one step backwards will get you to your goal.

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.