When lifts start to advance at very different rates

Is it a concern when your lifts start to drastically out pace each other in terms of advancement?  My bench press/barbell/DL row are a breeze, it doesn't feel like i'll be slowing down on them any time soon, to the point I feel like I could tack on 10 lbs instead of 5 to increase.

My Squat/and OHP are much slower advancement, I stalled on squats for the first time this week and will probably stall on OHP in the next week or so. 

Should I hold or deload (if needed) all lifts to keep them moving at the same relative advancement or is it ok to keep cranking up some while holding/deloading others?

Keep going with the ones you are making progress with. OHP will progress slower for most. Only deload the ones you need to. I try each lift three different times before deloading. A lot of times I get it that third try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.†― Henry Ford

Epic Quest

First Challenge          Second Challenge         Third Challenge

There comes a point where your leverages and insertions will determine what lifts you are best at. You have found that point. Keep training how you are, you are doing fine.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

There comes a point where your leverages and insertions will determine what lifts you are best at. You have found that point. Keep training how you are, you are doing fine.

this.

it happens.   No reason to hold up one because of another.   

(same can be said for grip and DL)  Keep up the good work!

What they said.  I'd LOVE for my OHP to progress as quickly as my squat!  Heck, I'd love it if OHP advanced as quickly as my bench even!

When they advance differently, it just means you're lifting.  It's part of the cycle. :)  Well done on reaching that point!

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I have been doing SL5x5 since September last year.  Initially I gained on everything across the board, slowly I have dropped to 3x5 in some exercises while continuing 5x5 in others.

My OHP has increased twice in the last 2 months at 57.5kg, but my Squat and DL are continuing to advance at 142.5kg and 155kg respectively.  Bench has stalled at 92.5kg and Row at 85kg and I have deloaded to try and push through this time round.  Keep at it is all I will say, I remember my first stall on squats at 92.5kg, and it wasn't that long ago!

Keep going with the ones you are making progress with. OHP will progress slower for most. Only deload the ones you need to. I try each lift three different times before deloading. A lot of times I get it that third try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly is 'deloading'?

What exactly is 'deloading'?

When you fail one lift 3 times in a row (For example, you get stuck on Squats @ 100kg. You can only do 5/5/5/4 or something 3 times in a row) you decrease the total weight by 10%. So failing on a 100kg squat, you will deload by 10% (10kg), and do a full 5x5 set at 90kg and then work your way back up.

• Like 1

Sometimes the body just needs a little more recovery time, deloading 10% lets your body recover while still making progress.

Then there are deload weeks.  When you reach the point that your CNS is fried and your body just can't take any more.  Take a week, go light/do cardio/whatever and recover, let the body dissipate the accumulated fatigue, joints heal etc and come back stronger.

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue