• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Most Loathed

[The Most Loathed] it's all downhill from here

Here it is, time for Challenge Number 2 and here you are, reading along. We'll cure you of that soon enough.

In this Challenge you will see me:

1. prepare for and compete in my first ever kettlebell lifting competition, the Mid-Michigan Open at 90 kg lifting 2 24 kg kettlebells as many times as possible in ten minutes
  2. Compete in the preliminary rounds of the Granite Games
  3. Turn 35 years old
  4. I will maintain a bodyweight at or below and average of 90 kg
  5. I will talk about, review and rank video games wow, I said video games. What's wrong with me. I don't like video games all that much, I meant board games. (EDITED 06/17)
  6. I will tell you a bunch of other stuff you really don't care about

You're still here? I'm shocked. The last guy only got to number four and ran screaming.

To be successful in the above I will:

• Train a total of fifty hours
  • Write and post five boardgame reviews
  • Write up a circuit that I like and have tested out

I'll likely find a number of other distractions along the way but I'm leaving myself room to play with it.

A normal training week will look something like the following (warning, no week will be a normal training week)

• Monday - off, game night
  • Tuesday - 24 kg Long Cycle practice
  • Wednesday - Barbell work, Conditioning
  • Thursday - 28 kg Long Cycle practice
  • Friday - Make up any missed days, take this day off or get a bonus workout
  • Saturday - Additional Long Cycle practice as needed
  • Sunday - Barbells and circuits
  • Additional - somewhere in there I will attempt to squeeze 30-60 minutes of pilates and 45 - 90 minutes of aerobic work per week for a total of about 8.5 hours per week

That's it. That's my intro. It's not great but it's mine. 

• Like 6

Good to see ya back for another round. I just posted mine too.  By the way, that shirt you got was awesome.

06/03/2014

bodyweight: 199.0

workout

long cycle 24 kg X 2, 6:00 PR (see notes)

Power Clean and Press to 80 kg

Snatch practice 30 minutes

Total Training Time: 60 minutes (not counted, prior to challenge start)

Notes

• This workout was amazingly successful and yet...and yet, it was not very satisfying. I have no idea why. Frustrating
  • I attempted to record my Long Cycle attempt, feeling like it would likely be a good one and wanting to see my form. Unfortunately my phone cut out rather quickly and I ended up with about 20 seconds of the six minute set. Because I thought it was being recorded, I focused on my breathing and not considering count. As a result, I don't quite know how many I did, we'll call it 36.

I recorded a little stunt, a 2 hands anyhow. Sorry for the horrible lighting but you should be able to get the idea.

• Like 3

I love the way you structure your challenges! Phrasing the challenge as "I will" and "you will see me" is a whole different mentality than "I hope" or "I plan"!

• Like 1

Good to see ya back for another round. I just posted mine too.  By the way, that shirt you got was awesome.

Great! I'll go hunt down your thread shortly.

I assume you're talking about the smiley kettlebell. I wore it around all weekend waiting, just waiting for it to start an interesting conversation. Not a one. I'm still optimistic. There is a local kettlebell gym that seems to have a class outing to our favorite restaurant on Wednesday nights. I've told Laura that if we go on a Wednesday in the future, I'm totally wearing that shirt. For the reference of those new to me, this is the shirt:

Kettlebell T

I love the way you structure your challenges! Phrasing the challenge as "I will" and "you will see me" is a whole different mentality than "I hope" or "I plan"!

Thanks Lola. The exact wording kind of just happened but I have spent a fair bit of time trying to shape up my brain for this challenge. I had a little help fro Edigo in my previous challenge thread as well. My desire was that it be procedural rather than aspirational. I have aspirations, but a six week challenge isn't for those. 

• Like 1

So excited for your challenge and to cheer you on for the competition! Also looking forward to the circuit you post. I'm planning on doing several different kettlebell circuits this challenge, so I look forward to trying it out.

Just for fun this week I have been practicing my one hand swings, where I let go with one hand and then grab with the other, so the bell sort of free floats for a second. That seems to be the first step in learning to flip the bell. 

Impressive stunt.

thanks. the 2 hands anyhow is a favorite of the olde-tyme-strongman community. I used to spend alot of internet time with those folks.

So excited for your challenge and to cheer you on for the competition! Also looking forward to the circuit you post. I'm planning on doing several different kettlebell circuits this challenge, so I look forward to trying it out.

Just for fun this week I have been practicing my one hand swings, where I let go with one hand and then grab with the other, so the bell sort of free floats for a second. That seems to be the first step in learning to flip the bell. 

The hand to hand swing is a favorite of mine. It allows for really high volume swing work. Just do 20 with one hand, switch, 20 with the other hand. Keep it going for as many sets as you want.

Last night's six minute set bodes very well for the comp. I can get alot more reps when I'm not thinking about counting but breathing instead. I'll need to spend some time in the coming month to really nail this down.

I can't wit to see how you do at your competition! 

You and me both. I've not done a kettlebell comp before so we'll learn something together.

Awesome stunt! I like how your challenge has time earmarked for "game night".  Gotta have your priorities straight... :D

Game night is important :)

I've found that if I don't make myself do it, it's so easy to put off for weeks on end. I enjoy boardgames greatly and own seventy or so. I want to make sure I'm getting the most from my games. I'm very spoiled on the games front, the city I live in has a great boardgame community, I have a group of guys at work that are willing to take their lunch hour to game with me, i have one good friend who is willing to get together each week and play a few games. I'm super lucky.

Glad i could help

me too :)

Really awesome! I already wish you good luck on your competition <3

Thanks Lilith

I'm intruiged for the game reviews.  Video or board games and I'm hooked.  Good luck out there!

Excellent. I'll share them here. I'm trying to decide if I should cherry pick a couple of my favorite games that I haven't yet reviewed, if I should keep working down the top fifty list I made last year or if I need to build my my new top 50 list first and work through that one.

alright, i was planning on reading it all, but its after midnight here, and my ability to focus on something is about as good as your average 3 year old with ADHD right now. So, yeah, you're subbed.

alright, i was planning on reading it all, but its after midnight here

Sleep! I don't actually expect anyone to read the thing...just something to poke at when bored. 

Wow, that seems like a lot.  It will be interesting to see what you do with it.

What part seems like a lot?

Awesome looking challenge (and I so need one of those happy kettlebell shirts!), and best of luck for your goals and the competition!

Thanks. The shirt was from Amazon and pretty reasonably priced. I'm on a mission now to see what else I can find in the world.

Long cycle, lifting and pilates.  That's a lot of dedicated time.  If you do it on a regular basis, I could see why it wouldn't seem like much to you.  I don't like to workout that much.

heh..yeah, I like it a lot. I'm weird like that. 

I'm going to be a little challenged to get all fifty hours in but I guarantee that even if I do, I will feel like I missed training opportunities.

• Like 1

Ohh excited! 

You made me laugh with nr 6 btw :)

So. 

I demand to know your long cycle training program for the coming weeks! How are you going to rest up for competition? How will you determine pace? ETC. GIMME THE ANSWERS! 

You know, so I can try to be useful by brainstorming with ya. 

Ok this is probably a dumb question but what is long cycle?

Not dumb at all, it's a clean and jerk.

This video shows one of, if not the, best doing long cycles with nearly double the weight I do them

I demand to know your long cycle training program for the coming weeks! How are you going to rest up for competition? How will you determine pace? ETC. GIMME THE ANSWERS! 

It's good that you ask. I keep telling myself that I need to sit down and write this out in detail. So here is my first attempt (expect revisions).

The meet is 3 weeks from Saturday (wow that seems close). As I try to think about this, it seems like the thing to do is count up from meet day:

6/28 Sa- meet day

6/27 F- drive all day, do some foam roller and lacrosse ball in the evening

6/26 R- 16 kg work, sub 10 minutes, just work the movements, not the muscles. Extended cooldown session

6/25 W- barbell work, ring work

6/24 T- 24 kg long cycle, last full effort workout 

6/23 M - Game night

6/22 Su - Final Granite Games workout

6/21 Sa - Kettlebell workout, 20 kg  > 10:00

6/20 F - Pilates?

6/19 R - 28 kg long cycle

6/18 W - Practice final Granite Games workout

6/17 T - 24 kg long cycle

6/16 M - game night

6/15 Su - Vistiing Family, taking kettlebells, probably lots of gym movements with kettlebells

6/14 Sa - Visiting Family, taking kettlebells, long cycle work

6/13 F - Traveling to see family, possibly no workout, or pilates

6/12 R - need to verify I have time, this should be a 28K workout (shift to Friday if necessary, then push Saturday to Sunday)

6/11 W - One and only shot at Granite Games workout number 2

6/10 T - 24 kg long cycle

6/09 M - Game Night

6/07 Su - Final run of Granite Games workout 1

6/06 Sa - conditioning

6/05 F - 28 kg long cycle, Granite Game practice workout 1

06/04 R - today

There is it is, my first attempt at planning my next three weeks of training. There will be some extra conditioning work in there for the first 2 - 2.5 weeks. At this point I'm not going to change my body much and I'm not going to change my technique but I need to practice the rituals that will make me not need to think when it comes meet time. Earlier this week I practiced with chalk for the first time since last fall, I forgot what a difference a little chalk on the elbows makes.

Please feel free to give feedback, the above is a draft an therefore subject to change. I'm guessing KB girl will tell me to step away from the bells earlier than I am but I'm a little worried to do so because I feel like crap on my first day back after even two days of not lifting.

• Like 1

06/04/2014

bodyweight 197.9

workout: movement

total time: 30 minutes

notest

• I had a suspicion that tonights workout would blow up, I wasn't wrong. It's ok.
  • Tomorrow Laura and I have both sworn ourselves to tough workouts, long workouts.
  • Tonights workout was 30 minutes of animal crawls and walks in whatever pattern (and I use that work loosely) I wanted. Basically play. None the less, I was sweaty when done.
  • Like 1