The Courtyard (Monk's General Chat Thread)

Kishi

Just today, though IMO they earned it a while back.

Now for them to realize that there's not much to this beyond saying nice things all the time and deleting double posts when you find them. :tongue:

SSSSHHHH! Save those comments for the Guild Leaders Private Fancy Bathroom.

But I totally agree with you and I think I had mentioned one of them a couple of times for the job.

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

YOU GUYS I CAN PLAY WITH SO MANY EXTRA BUTTONS NOW!!!

Ahem.

I mean, tis an honor and a privilege to serve with you gentlemen for the betterment of the Forum. Yes, yes. *clears throat*

:P

• Like 3

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Ok, so, plot twist... my sparring partner is a tiny Indian girl!

...  I AM NOT GOOD WITH THE GENDERS OF NAMES.

Didn't really change anything.  Worked on form, stance, shifting, wrist positions, more wrist positions, and talked nutrition.  She's desperately trying to gain muscle mass, and eats 1000 calories per day.  We'll work on that. Yay sparring buddy!

ZOMG YOU SQUASH HER!!!

I mean... how often do you guys spar?

Hey there, quick question. What's the best martial art for disarming a shooter?

Give-them-your-wallet-fu.

No, but seriously? Probably something that's derived from military stuff. It's not a guarantee that what they teach will work, but you're more likely to run drills involving shooters that way. Of course, most MMA folk that I bring this up with say that BJJ is the way to go for that.

• Like 2

The best way to avoid a punch (or a bullet) is not being there. If you want to master the art of self-defense, you have to master the art of invisibility.

Fine. What's the best martial art for invisibility?

Also, do you have any general tips for choosing a place to train?

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Fine. What's the best martial art for invisibility?

The Best Martial Art for Invisibility!? Ninjutsu, of course. We have a Ninja Guild Leader and he disappears from MONTHS each time.

Now, seriously, and to be honest. Choosing would depend entirely up to you, how you feel practicing this martial art and the circumstances. Start by what's available nearby, that'd make things easier along the way. I started with Ninjutsu, but now my sensei lives hours away and that has slowed down my progress. But that's only if you're beginning and I just realized you asked a whole different question.

Regarding a best way to disarm a shooter, every one has an opinion. Some people (and I'd agree) will tell you that Krav Maga is excellent for that. But I've noticed that every martial art has some form or real-life application approach that you can use in these cases, but at the end, it comes down to Give-em-your-wallet-fu... and I'd only use my martial knowledge if my life is in danger and there's no other way. In that moment, I believe it'd matter more the amount of training I have that the style I practice. But that's just my opinion living in a very violent and insecure country #ThirdWorldProblems maybe your situation is different and you're looking for a different aproach.  

• Like 2

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Not just the amount of training, but the amount of training in which you've struggled against a live, resisting opponent, and had to execute technique. The insights you gain - and the mindset you achieve - are ultimately the most important parts of a martial art as it pertains to surviving bad things.

Hey there, quick question. What's the best martial art for disarming a shooter?

"Nowadays you don't go around on the street kicking people, punching people — because if you do (makes gun shape with hand), well that's it — I don't care how good you are."

That was said by Bruce Lee.  BRUCE LEE.

Yea, if you got close enough to even attempt to disarm a gunman, that guy is clearly doing something wrong.  There's a reason there's a saying of "brought a knife to a gun fight."  But any martial arts training will, if given enough time, grant you more awareness to your surroundings.  The key to martial arts is avoiding the confrontation.

Watch a class with an open mind.  Watch several if you have to.  See how the teacher interacts with the students, how the students interact with the teacher, and how the students interact with each other.  Does the instructor talk to the students with respect (I heard a story once of an aikido instructor who expects students to give him a beer after class, on their knees, bowing to him on the way in and out)?  Do the students feverishly follow every command from the instructor like it's gospel?  Do the students help each other learn?

Watch, listen, and understand why the people who practice there practice.  Time consuming, but worth it.  Also, trust your gut if you get a good sense - that's how I found my dojo and I freaking love it and the community I've found there.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

"Nowadays you don't go around on the street kicking people, punching people — because if you do (makes gun shape with hand), well that's it — I don't care how good you are."

That was said by Bruce Lee.  BRUCE LEE.

Yea, if you got close enough to even attempt to disarm a gunman, that guy is clearly doing something wrong.  There's a reason there's a saying of "brought a knife to a gun fight."  But any martial arts training will, if given enough time, grant you more awareness to your surroundings.  The key to martial arts is avoiding the confrontation.

Watch a class with an open mind.  Watch several if you have to.  See how the teacher interacts with the students, how the students interact with the teacher, and how the students interact with each other.  Does the instructor talk to the students with respect (I heard a story once of an aikido instructor who expects students to give him a beer after class, on their knees, bowing to him on the way in and out)?  Do the students feverishly follow every command from the instructor like it's gospel?  Do the students help each other learn?

Watch, listen, and understand why the people who practice there practice.  Time consuming, but worth it.  Also, trust your gut if you get a good sense - that's how I found my dojo and I freaking love it and the community I've found there.

^ +1

This.  All of this.  All of the time.

• Like 1

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Agree completely with what people have said about choosing a dojo. I know that the feeling at the dojo I'm attending now changed drastically since I was there last 12 years ago due to a change in sensei. I like the new atmosphere better, but I know there were a lot of people who left after the change.

Another thing that will take observing a few classes and possibly talking to the instructor would be to find out which part of the martial art they focus on, and deciding if that matches with what you want to focus on. Some instructers are more ofucsed on basic technique, others on sparring or katas. So thats also important to keep in mind.

First challenge here, but I thought I'd just chime in with what I've seen in karate.

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

My challenges : Level 1 Challenge

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination - Way of Kings

WOOO! I'm trying to get my new sparring buddies on here.  They're fitness nuts... that know NOTHING ABOUT FITNESS.  They just work out constantly, all the time, and as far as I can tell they're all doing it wrong with regards to diet, rest days, and what actually builds muscle. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

OMGOMGOMG, NERDS!!!

Remember Kung Fu Guy that I was sparing in my last challenge???

He joined and is a level 1 Rebel!!!

CHECK OUT OUUUUT!!!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/49764-kfg-builds-a-pathcourse-to-the-eye-of-sauron-phase-1/

OH MY GOD HIS NAME IS ACTUALLY KUNG FU GUY!!

THAT'S FUCKING AMAZING.

• Like 1

Kishi, Spauracchio wants me to be "Nerd from Above".  I feel like this is the sort of thing that has to happen.

Particularly since it sounds way better than my idea.

If you get pictures with littlewings climbing on you at the Toronto meet up AND post it in the Courtyard, I will do that for you post haste.

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines