• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chris-Tien Jinn

Chris-Tien is Shanghaied!! Aboard the Northern Girl

We interrupt this previously scheduled program with an adventure on the high seas!!  (Part A)

Our summer challenge opens with our hero lying, soaken and shivering,  on the wooden deck of a ship heading away from the realm of the recently-defeated Frostking.  The lump on the back of her head and resulting head-ache leave her confused and disoriented. The rolling of the ship doesn't contribute positively to her general altertness or ability to engage in witty reparte either when the ship's captain notices her beginning to stir painfully.

"Oh, good.  I was beginning to think that we'd made a bad investment," a burled tenor carried to Chris' ears over the crash of waves against wooden planking and the screams of gulls overhead.  

"Investment?" Chris croaked, feeling the back of her head gingerly.  It seemed more or less intact, although her hand came back covered with a mix of blood and salt water.  

"Aye, lass.  We paid good coin for you based on your reputation."

"Reputation?" Chris frowned, vexed at her inability to do anything more complex than echo the man's comments.

The black-clad man at the wheel smiled at her a moment before concentrating back on a point on the horizon.  "Aye.  You're said to be a reasonably good fighter as well as a good cook, when you take the time to bother.  As it happens, we have need of both since a recent .... encounter .... left us a hand short."

Chris glanced at the man and suppressed an obvious response since the man was handling the wheel with one hand and a silver hook.  She had no doubt he would not find her observations amusing, but she was glad to note that her own brain seemed to be resuming its irreverent, agile, and quirky line of thought.  

"What makes you think I'll do either for you?"  Chris got carefully to her feet and quickly grabbed the railing next to her as the ship shifted beneath her.

The captain's smile was indulgent as he responded, "Because if you don't give me your word that you'll do so, you will spend the next six weeks below decks, chained to the bulkhead."  He looked her confidently in the eyes for a moment.  "That's why."

"I could give you my word and then break it." Chris responded, shivering.  She was soaking wet, no doubt from having made the passage to the ship on the floor of a leaky dingy, and the air this far north was still very cold.

"As I said ... you have a reputation."  The man shrugged negligently.  "Either way, you'll be going nowhere for a few weeks.  And if you want to eat something other than hard tack, you'll have to cook it.  No one else on this boat can manage anything other than grilled fish .... and they cook it like it was damned."  Seeing Chris' frown of confusion he added, "burned .... to a crisp.  So, unless you like charcoal, you'd best take up the chore until we make port."

Looking wistfully at the quickly retreating shore, Chris ventured the important question, "And where IS port?"

"None of your concern, miss.  You'll find out when we get there.  In the meanwhile, I suggest you spend the time convincing me that I didn't make a mistake in taking you on.  If you prove useless, you'll be on the slave block when we arrive.  I can't afford to carry cargo that doesn't help pay its way .... one way or the other.  So ..... " he looked Chris-Tien over as she trying - unsuccessfully - to let go of the support to stand on her own.  " .... today, get your sea legs and find something dry to wear.  We have enough fresh food in stores to get us by for a day.   Tomorrow, you can decide how you want to spend the rest of this voyage."  Raising his voice, the captain called for his first mate, "Mr. Smeed!!!  Get Miss Jinn here something suitable to wear and a hammock out of the way of the rest of the crew.  And then show her where the galley is."

Plans for my summer have been changed and then waylaid and then put through a blender.  Unfortunately, I don't think they'll end up served over ice with a nice umbrella.  I'll be filling in for an office manager at the university while hubby continues to job hunt.  (He does have a nice opportunity, but I've learned not to get my hopes up.)

Hence, the pirate theme.  Plus it just sounded like so much fun.  Turn lemons into lemonade .... or maybe a nice rum punch  .... and enjoy having no idea where the trades will take us so long as there is promise of gold at the end!!!

Ultimate main goal of the challenge:  continue to reduce body fat % ... down to under 34%

Contributing goals:

1) (Fitness) "You're more active than most of the women I know!" (2 STA, 1 STR)

cutthroat-island-1995.jpg

a - 10,000 steps per day - running or walking.  Does not require being chased by anything. 

inside-depp-pirates.jpg

b - FitDeck workouts 3 x per week

Grading: 1 point each per day.  Ideal points per week = 10; per challenge = 60.

2) (Nutrition) Enjoy the fruits of the islands (3 CON)

You-spent-three-days-lying-on-a-beach-dr

I will get points for protein sources, fruits, and veggies.  Subtract points for sweets, alcohol, and refined carbs.  (Corn counts as a vegetable during the summer!!!) I'm going to remain neutral on sauces to see how the summer stacks up this way.

Grading:  1 point per serving, positive or negative.  Let's call the ideal day = 10; week = 70; challenge = 420

3) "All hands on deck!!" (2 WIS, 1 CHA)

tumblr_mc9o5ppGDU1qfv91lo2_500.gif

Do at least one of the summer activities (see below)* AND enjoy the back deck daily.
Grading: 1 point per activity and one point for deck time per day.  Ideal per week =14; per challenge = 84.

4) "Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?" (3 WIS)

5546975389_168cb1ecc8_m.jpg

Spend an hour each day jettisoning excess cargo and organizing what's left.  We may be packing and moving by August if hubby's tentative offer actually comes through.

Grading = 1 point per hour.  Ideal per week is 7; per challenge = 42.

5) "I was learning to fence, fight, anything anyone would teach me." (1 WIS, 1 DEX, 1 CHA)

D073FCB0.jpg

Spend an hour learning something or taking a class.
Grading = 1 point per hour.  Ideal per week is 7; per challenge = 42.

Points allocation at the end will be based on the unofficial, extended stats points system:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoRugFL8_cvBdF9DOWI3MGlaRTRSRDhsS0RsRDR6Z1E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

SHORE LEAVE
There are days when summer should be savored, and I claim leave to enjoy days or situations:
⦠   June 9 - driving back from having braces tightened.  Ice cream may be the only thing I can eat.  And rum.  
⦠   June 11 - 13 - conference with my daughter.  No rum.  Maybe strawberry magaritas.
⦠   July 4th - a national holiday in the USA.  I will enjoy it - hopefully with a pirate theme.  Rum and a luau spring to mind.  Perhaps something from this list appeals:  http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/10/cocktail-101-five-essential-rum-cocktails-mojito-daiquiri-planters-punch-hurricane-mai-tai.html

* Summer activities
1.    Summer run playlist(s)
2.    Finish a book
3.    Geocache
4.    Garden and landscaping
5.    Kayak
6.    Hike
7.    Rock climbing (indoors)
8.    Swim laps
9.    Attend a major league baseball game (beer and hotdogs permitted)
10.    Attend a minor league baseball game (ditto)
11.    Eat sm'ores
12.    Have a cookout
13.    Have a picnic
14.    Attend a parade
15.    Rotary Gardens
16.    Do a charity run/walk (June 28)
17.    Do a 5K fun run
18.    Camping
19.    Fishing
20.    Watch a drive-in movie
21.    Watch a summer blockbuster
22.    Manicure
23.    Pedicure

24.    Attend a festival, cookout, barbecue, fair, etc. 

25.    Watch the World Cup matches - beer and hot dogs .... or rum and hot dogs ....... permitted

So .... if you followed all the way to the bottom, congrats.  You should have the OCD checked, mate.  But if you continue to hang out here, I hope you will have more story to read, more gifs and pirate movie references to savor, and plenty of motivation to encourage you to go out and seek your own fortune - for the greatest treasure in the world is good health.  Oh, and family.  And a nice MLT sandwich. 

And the spreadsheet for the summer challenges is at:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13-GqbbM6m8EROAeAkA7RJx-fDTyW5jRvrGHJJcPVBcU/edit#gid=858398765

Assassins Mini-Challenges:

Week 1: +1 Dex

Week 2: :redface-new:  Forgot about it!

Week 3:

• Like 15

So much fun, I love it! Shore leave= brilliant. Also love your list of summer activities. That is something I should just do, in or out of a challenge thread.

• Like 1

PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!! awesome. so much awesome. subbed! And you found room for a Firefly reference! awesome.

• Like 1

Fun, love your summer ideas list-glad as a pirate there is at least some rum in the challenge :playful: And spending time on the deck is awesome!

• Like 1

Love the theme! And love the pictures! You got all my favorite pirate themed movies/series around ( just don't get the monkey^^)

Bonus points for Princess Bride-reference!

The space monkey is from Firefly ... the best show that didn't make it one full season.   You owe it to yourself to watch the series - I think it is on Netflix now. 

PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!! awesome. so much awesome. subbed! And you found room for a Firefly reference! awesome.

Gotta fit them in where I can - the series was too short to get many good quotes, but I'll do my best.

This is my between challenges mini-challenge ......

Aboard the Jolly Roger (Tuesday & Wednesday):

Swab the deck!!!  Na da.  Great excuse - I was asked to fill in as office manager for a department ... so I'm a little busier than planned. 

Man the rigging!!! Ran Tuesday and did a little stretching .... barely.  FitDeck on Wednesday. 

Walk the plank!!! Tuesday was 5 miles.  I'll see where I end up today.  

Feed the crew!!!  Made lunches to take to work, and I ordered some bento box and accessories stuff to make packing lunch seem palatable. 

Learn how to be a crew member!!!  Working on Sworn in Steel

Hunt for treasure!!!  I haven't updated any of the "inside" pages of my web site. Working .....

• Like 2

Awesome story, and your pics made me laugh. I was already going to follow you, but now I am very excited to see what is coming up!

• Like 1

The space monkey is from Firefly ... the best show that didn't make it one full season.   You owe it to yourself to watch the series - I think it is on Netflix now. 

Feed the crew!!!  Made lunches to take to work, and I ordered some bento box and accessories stuff to make packing lunch seem palatable. 

Ahhhh I watched the show about 4 years ago I think.... it's soooo amazing! We got ourselves the movie "Serenity" that rounds up the story and tells the end. Need the series too!

Uhhh bento boxes! I got 2, 1 for my boyfriend and 1 for me. Sadly, this strawhead always forgets it in the morning!

Can one believe that?

Which ones did you buy? Single tired? Two-tired?

• Like 1

Oh bento boxes

I was looking at different options during christmas time and then completely forgot about them.. Will cehck again

• Like 2

Challenge looks fun! I love your summer list :-)

Wondering if you ideal points are too strict (?) but didn't look at all the grading. I know this isn't your first rodeo, so I'm sure it will be great!

• Like 1