TheStarsMyDestination - First Challenge

Background:

While I have always been thin, I have also always been fit. In high school I began climbing, and during my first couple years of college I bouldered almost daily (at least 4-5 times per week). When I dropped out of school (I'm back in, new major), I sort of floundered and stagnated. Since getting most of the rest of my life back on track, I never made any serious attempts at getting back into shape. However, since my fiance found out I used to climb, she expressed interest in learning and going with me. So I've decided that I need to get back into shape for both of our benefits.

Stats:

6'4"

165 lbs

Main Quest:

To get back into shape to climb, backpack, and just be generally (more) awesome.

Goals:

• 3x/week Body Weight Circuit Training
  • 2-3x/week 20 Minute Interval Training Running
  • 6 days/week All Home-made Meals

Body Weight Circuit:

I've designed this to allow multiple circuits and to create a general fitness base. Adjustments will be made as I go, as this is based off of current abilities for 2-3 circuits. Any/all feedback is appreciated. (Warm up, cool down, and stretching will be included.)

1. 5 Pull-Ups
  2. 15 Push-Ups
  3. 10 Dips
  4. 10 Body Weight Squats
  5. 10 Lunges
  6. 10 Russian Twists
  7. 15 Second Plank
  8. 5 Burpees

Life Quest:

• Read 5 books during the 6 Week Challenge

Motivation:

When I let my life coast for multiple years, I lost many things I loved doing. I want to live a life worth living, and to be better today than I was yesterday. I want to be worthy of the look my fiance gives me when she looks at me.

Updates weekly.

• Like 3

Level 2 Aspen Ent

STR: 4 - Dex: 5 - STA: 3 - CON: 1 - WIS: 1 - CHA: 0

MY FIRST CHALLENGE : ROUND 2

Hey Fellow Climber :)

Do you have a list of books to read? there are some super inspiring climbing ones I can recommend that you might have missed in the last few years. Steph Davis High Infatuation is one, super amazing :)

• Like 1

Level 1 Hobbit Assassin (is that even a thing?!)

Strength (earth) +1, 

Dexterity (wind) +2, 

Stamina (fire) +1, 

Constitution (earth) +3, 

Wisdom (water) +5, 

Charisma (water) +2

Thanks guys!

I'm currently restarting The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. I got about 50 pages into it before I left for Europe (hard copy, too large to take with). I also plan on reading the Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett, and God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

I've got a few other books picked out, but I'm flexible. 

Hey Fellow Climber :)

Do you have a list of books to read? there are some super inspiring climbing ones I can recommend that you might have missed in the last few years. Steph Davis High Infatuation is one, super amazing :)

I'm going to see if I can find this! Any other suggestions?

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Beyond the Mountain by Steve House and the Mountains of My Life By Walter Bonnatti :) I also like the Rock Warriors Way by Argo Ilgner :)

• Like 1

Level 1 Hobbit Assassin (is that even a thing?!)

Strength (earth) +1, 

Dexterity (wind) +2, 

Stamina (fire) +1, 

Constitution (earth) +3, 

Wisdom (water) +5, 

Charisma (water) +2

Good luck with this challenge! Seems like you have a pretty solid idea of what you want to achieve and with that motivation I'm sure you'll succeed! Just make sure your nutrition is on point to really get the best results from your training.

• Like 1

"If you're tired of starting over, don't quit"

"The difference between you now and next week is what you do for the next seven days"

Hello!

I’m Hazard, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. It looks like with the Body Weight circuit training you may have goals similar to many in our guild work on, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, I’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Hello!

I’m Hazard, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. It looks like with the Body Weight circuit training you may have goals similar to many in our guild work on, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, I’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

Wow! Thanks for all the info! I'll definitely check out a lot of this. I do plan to join the Assassin's Guild as soon as I can. It excites me that I can still use your guy's resources and support until then!

Thanks!

• Like 2

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Good luck with this challenge! Seems like you have a pretty solid idea of what you want to achieve and with that motivation I'm sure you'll succeed! Just make sure your nutrition is on point to really get the best results from your training.

True that.

I want to do a modified paleo, but since I can't cut out the beer (I'm actually an assistant brewer), that'll never work completely. But I like the idea. Maybe like a 60% paleo thing.

At the very least, I plan to stop eating out for the most part, and completely cut out processed foods. I need more veggies in my diet for sure.

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Wow! Thanks for all the info! I'll definitely check out a lot of this. I do plan to join the Assassin's Guild as soon as I can. It excites me that I can still use your guy's resources and support until then!

Thanks!

Awesome!  And no problem.  Happy to help.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Veggies rock.

Looks like a great first challenge, looking forward to seeing more!

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Finished Day 1. Burpees definitely kicked my butt. The Russian twists weren't enough, so I think I'll bump them up to 20. I did that for circuit 2 and I started to feel the burn.

I haven't felt a burn like that in my legs in a long time. :) That's a good burn, I think I'll do that more often.

• Like 3

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Butts are for being kicked, primarily by burpees.

And I'll add tat Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is just about the most thorough book on climbing I've found. I really enjoyed it. Granted, it's kind of like a giant textbook, but sometimes that's just what we're after.

Indeed, mine got kicked today. I'm always looking for more books, so thank you!

• Like 1

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Alright, closing out my week 1. I still need to go for a run, but otherwise, I've been moderately diligent about working out.

This week I give myself a solid B-. I replaced the running for long walks this week, so while I still went for about 30 minute walks, I didn't run like I planned. This weekend I think I'll be able to get out, though.

Bright side: I am getting better with the burpees, and feeling better each day.

• Like 4

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Burpees!!!  Great exercises, but they are challenging. 

How did you do with cooking at home?? 

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Burpees!!!  Great exercises, but they are challenging. 

How did you do with cooking at home?? 

I ended up eating out three times last week, at the brewpub I work at. I'm sorta counting it as a B- or C+ because I did go for the grilled caesar salad for those. So... healthy, but not within my goal exactly. :/

• Like 1

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Boom! Today is an A+ day! I got 3 circuits in, and increased the reps on the Russian twists, the push ups, and I owned the burpees! I stopped at 2 on my final circuit, but I had a lot better form for all of them.

Today I also cooked a great breakfast (eggs over easy and red potatoes), had leftover tequila lime chicken tacos for lunch, and I'm getting ready to made a simple dinner of olive oil seared chicken breasts and some linguine with spinach. :)

• Like 4

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Heya Stars! I was reading your challenge and I had to join the cheering! Your goals are just plain awesome! I'll be looking forward to your successes! If you need any help please do not hesitate to ask!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Alright. So this past week was a bit of a bust for me. I started strong, went really well with everything, but work caught up with me and I let it sidetrack me. I did get into the world cup spirit and pay some intense futbol with the kids my fiancé is nannying, though.

So I give myself a C-, as incentive for improvement. I do think I might change my interval training up. Maybe into soccer twice a week. I think between playing some soccer/futbol and climbing, that would be a great workout all the time. And super fun, too.

• Like 1

Level 2 Aspen Ent

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines