In Which Kishi Sucks It Up

Kishi

Not that this was ever in doubt, but let's face it: Kirby is metal as f@ck.

512.jpg

Actually, as I'm sitting down to type this up, it occurs to me that Kirby's actually probably my theme for this challenge. I mean, let's face it: he's one tough cream puff. Just like me. :D It doesn't matter what you throw at him - he finds a way to adapt to it and get through it and keep on trucking afterward.

It doesn't matter what you throw at him. His response is always the same: he smiles, jumps around for a bit before freaking eating his opponents to gain their powers. Granted, I can't eat poverty or spit out success, but there are lessons to be learned regardless. So, here's how it's going to be.

Mobility Work

Kirby is a pink, flexible badass. I mean, look at 'im. He's never had a bad shoulder a day in his life.

27851-kirby-super-star-snes-screenshot-p

It lets him do things like this.

It's a little too late for me to dodge that bullet, but I can make up for it by doing mobility work. Gonna pay attention to my body and listen to what's hurting in the morning. What hurts gets worked. Mobility is a multivitamin for the joints.

PLP, Monk Style: PUG

PLP became all the rage after Steve did it. I want to do something similar, see if I can get my training to become a sticking habit this way. Little did I realize that being a pugilist at heart would give me all the inspiration I need.

PUG - Punching, Uchikomi, Groundwork. Or Newaza, if I want to use the proper term for it, but that leads to PUN and that leads to horrible jokes and me losing all my friends.

Kirby_Super_Star_Ultra_Suplex.png

SLEEP

So, yeah, I'm working a job or three these days. And it means that I gotta get my schedule on track. Which means I've got to start getting some flipping sleep up in this piece.

KirbySleep.gif

Little dude's got the right idea

I don't know if I want to try to average out the amount of sleep I'm getting per week, or if I want to narrow it down, get specific, and start enforcing a bedtime. I probably should do the bedtime, but I tend to eat really late - like toward midnight. It'd be hard to get this straightened out. But that's why we do the challenges, right?

Okay. Start with a bedtime of... let's say Midnight.

PUT THE MONEY AWAY

Also, I have this thing I'm doing up in Boston. It's... it's gonna be a trip. I'm not used to being able to make the trip on my own - that is, under my own power and on my own terms.

But the fact is, that's what I want to do. I swore I'd make it up there for the Sprint in November, and now that the jobs are here, it's time to start putting money away toward that. Starting the first week, I'll have 21 weeks to put away enough money to get up to Boston. Assuming I book a flight, it comes out to roughly $500 or so; split that up, it's $25 per week.

Totally doable! (he said, not knowing that his car was going to blow up the same day that he learned they'd have to amputate his toe).

K20AC_Kirby6.png

Travel in style!

Anyway, no scores or anything this time around. I'm finding that the numbers do... relatively little to motivate me these days. I'm more in love with the challenges themselves, so that's how I'm gonna roll.

• Like 1

PUG - Punching, Uchikomi, Groundwork. Or Newaza, if I want to use the proper term for it, but that leads to PUN and that leads to horrible jokes and me losing all my friends.

Uh, pretty sure you wouldn't lose Cheechoe as a friend seeing as she is a master of the punversation.

And yesss Boston trip!

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

PLP became all the rage after Steve did it. I want to do something similar, see if I can get my training to become a sticking habit this way. Little did I realize that being a pugilist at heart would give me all the inspiration I need.

Uh, pretty sure you wouldn't lose Cheechoe as a friend seeing as she is a master of the punversation.

And yesss Boston trip!

+1 to what Tinny Said.  But that's also because I tend to have lots of punversations with Cheechoe as well. >.> <.<

I really like your challenge, Kishi.  Its nice, simple, not going to overload you.  And I'm always a fan of taking things slow to get a footing going.  Also, it allows the rest of us to catch up. :P

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

ohiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

subbed!

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

suuuuuch a good challenge, I'm sooooo looking forward to seeing how you do.  And YAY for Boston :D

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Looks like a solid plan!  I know you can do it!

Yessir, thank you sir!

Boston trip motivation should help with the money goal. It seems like all the cool nerds make a pilgrimage to Boston at some point. 

They really do. And anyway, I've kind of wanted to go there ever since I heard Relient K's "The Pirates Who Never Do Anything."

Actually, depending on what the weather's like, I might be able to say that I've 'been to Boston in the Fall.' :D

And yesss Boston trip!

She does do a lot of that, doesn't she?

Yessir! I hear y'all be up to badass feats up there, so I gotta go and see for myself. 'cuz y'all be awesome that way. :)

Excellent, excellent.  How's the new schedule settling out?

Interestingly. I'm using Google Calendars to keep track of everything now, and the schedules are already conflicting with one another. I'm already having to look for substitutes and things like that to take care of the pool for me, and I have a feeling I'm gonna burn through whatever goodwill I've built up. Just a bad feeling I've got. Because Panera's definitely the better move, and I have a responsibility to myself to make that move if it comes down to that.

+1 to what Tinny Said.  But that's also because I tend to have lots of punversations with Cheechoe as well. >.> <.<

I really like your challenge, Kishi.  Its nice, simple, not going to overload you.  And I'm always a fan of taking things slow to get a footing going.  Also, it allows the rest of us to catch up. :tongue:

Aw, man! Now I feel like I'm missing out. I'll have to brush up on my puns for that.

Nice and simple felt like a good change this time around. Also, who said anything about letting y'all catch up? I'm homebrewing my workouts again, which means I get to show off what I've been doing. :P

ohiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

subbed!

Heyo! Good to see you!

Thanks!

suuuuuch a good challenge, I'm sooooo looking forward to seeing how you do.  And YAY for Boston :D

In the Fall, no less. :D

I like your simple format for the challenge. Kinda wish I had finished writing mine up first, cause now simple looks good (as in, mine is not so simple this time around.) However...

I really like your challenge, Kishi.  Its nice, simple, not going to overload you.  And I'm always a fan of taking things slow to get a footing going.  Also, it allows the rest of us to catch up. :tongue:

...hehe, yes, yes it does. 

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU"

My Epic Quest: http://www.nerdfitness.com/character/25378

Boston trip motivation should help with the money goal. It seems like all the cool nerds make a pilgrimage to Boston at some point. 

There is a lot of concentrated awesome up there.

And yesss Boston trip!

Truth. There would be no PUNishment form me.

Right.

Awesome goals, Kish!

I like the 'put $25 away per week. Simple flat numbers always help keep it in line.

Also YAY for three jobs! Lots of stress, Im sure, so the sleep goal is smart. Is midnight doable with all of your shifts? If you work a closing at Panera that may be hard. I only ask because I want to pester you keep you accountable like a good little monk. You needs your sleeps. Esp if you are to train for a Spartan.

HUUUUGS!

I like your simple format for the challenge. Kinda wish I had finished writing mine up first, cause now simple looks good (as in, mine is not so simple this time around.) However...

...hehe, yes, yes it does. 

Eh. Simple suited this time around. And after so many challenges with so many moving parts, it just didn't make sense anymore to me. So, I needed to go back to simplicity.

Well, you wanna catch me? Here's your chance. :)

There is a lot of concentrated awesome up there.

Truth. There would be no PUNishment form me.

Right.

Awesome goals, Kish!

I like the 'put $25 away per week. Simple flat numbers always help keep it in line.

Also YAY for three jobs! Lots of stress, Im sure, so the sleep goal is smart. Is midnight doable with all of your shifts? If you work a closing at Panera that may be hard. I only ask because I want to pester you keep you accountable like a good little monk. You needs your sleeps. Esp if you are to train for a Spartan.

HUUUUGS!

I figured that having a concrete number to follow would make more sense in the long run. No room for being vague.

Yeah, it's pretty stressful. And your question is... unnervingly prescient. I had to do my first close shift tonight, and I didn't get out of there 'til about 11 PM. I just started eating dinner and it's half past midnight. So, um. Yeah. Might have to revisit this one. ^_^; But you're right. I needs mah sleeps.

HUGS!

That sounds just like you! =D Subbed!

Fluffy and wonderful. Yup. :D

• Like 1

Interestingly. I'm using Google Calendars to keep track of everything now, and the schedules are already conflicting with one another. I'm already having to look for substitutes and things like that to take care of the pool for me, and I have a feeling I'm gonna burn through whatever goodwill I've built up. Just a bad feeling I've got. Because Panera's definitely the better move, and I have a responsibility to myself to make that move if it comes down to that.

How did anyone manage before Google Calendar?  I am glad that you are actively managing your work schedules. It sounds like that could be a challenge goal all by itself. I'll bet both Panera and the pool want you to work weekends.  At least you can get in a lot of hours. :P

Eh. Simple suited this time around. And after so many challenges with so many moving parts, it just didn't make sense anymore to me. So, I needed to go back to simplicity.

Yeah, it's pretty stressful. And your question is... unnervingly prescient. I had to do my first close shift tonight, and I didn't get out of there 'til about 11 PM. I just started eating dinner and it's half past midnight. So, um. Yeah. Might have to revisit this one. ^_^; But you're right. I needs mah sleeps.

I agree. Simple is good. You have plenty of other complications right now.

Do you have time to eat dinner at work earlier in the evenings when you close?  Moar sleeps best thng evah.

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

How did anyone manage before Google Calendar?  I am glad that you are actively managing your work schedules. It sounds like that could be a challenge goal all by itself. I'll bet both Panera and the pool want you to work weekends.  At least you can get in a lot of hours. :tongue:

I agree. Simple is good. You have plenty of other complications right now.

Do you have time to eat dinner at work earlier in the evenings when you close?  Moar sleeps best thng evah.

Seriously, that calendar. Freaking awesome. It's one of those things I have to be really aggressive about managing, particularly since the job schedules get passed out at different times. Though, so far, the pool hasn't asked me to work the weekend. Yet. I imagine that'll change.

can get dinner at Panera, but my body's been trained into eating mostly at night, so I'm not really hungry during the day. Eating at Panera is more likely to be breakfast for me than it is anything else.

awesome, subbed

Nice to see you again!

So, I've been noticing that I'm bad at bedtime. Lots of stuff happens to keep me awake, mostly having to do with cooking. So, I'm thinking, in order to get this managed, I'mma have to take up batch cooking. I figure, fry up all the ground meat, put it in containers, then pop it in the microwave along with some cooking fats of choice and nuke those suckers.

I'm sure that'll make a holistic health professional or two weep, but hell. Life is hard.

Will adjust the intro post to address this.

Batch cooking is for winners.

#winning

Right. Did some strength work today. Using Chris Sommer's Building the Gymnastic Body, plus some mobility work, came up with...

Bent Hollow Body Hold: 3x12s

Scap Shrugs: 3x3

Arch Body Holds: 3x12s

Tuck-Ups: 3x3

Side to Side Squats: 3x2

Pseudo Planche Push Ups: 3x2

Chin Up Flex Hangs: 3x12s

Finisher: 14 Hill Sprints; 10:50 work:rest ratio.

Let's see, also, did 50 push ups this morning.

Good work day. :)

#winning

Right. Did some strength work today. Using Chris Sommer's Building the Gymnastic Body, plus some mobility work, came up with...

Bent Hollow Body Hold: 3x12s

Scap Shrugs: 3x3

Arch Body Holds: 3x12s

Tuck-Ups: 3x3

Side to Side Squats: 3x2

Pseudo Planche Push Ups: 3x2

Chin Up Flex Hangs: 3x12s

Finisher: 14 Hill Sprints; 10:50 work:rest ratio.

Let's see, also, did 50 push ups this morning.

Good work day. :)

Envious of your hill sprints! I was feeling my baby sprints the next day, and the next day, and the next day...

tye_doing_pushups_gif_by_bennythebeast-d

"My name is Kishi and I do push ups for breakfast."

• Like 1

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU"

My Epic Quest: http://www.nerdfitness.com/character/25378

Nice to come back after a while absent and see Kishi with JOBS! Awesome. I'm sure you will be a master at scheduling everything (including your sleep) by the end of this challenge!

It's a happy change, for sure. :) I'm glad for it, myself.

Did some handstand practice yesterday. Lots of weird wrist calisthenics that left my hands feeling really, really warm. I'm especially fascinated by Sommer's version of fingertip push ups, where instead of splaying your fingers out in a 'claw,' you press up on to the fingers while keeping the hand relatively 'bladed.'

Anyway, tripod practice afterward. Then kicked up into a handstand against the wall just to remind myself that I could. Then, did 50 push ups in 2:32, and then fifteen hill sprints at a 10:50 work:rest ratio.

Fun stuff.

Went and saw X-Men: DOFP last night. It was pretty amazing. All the best parts of past X-Men films came together to create something awesome. Really, I got nothing else to say about it. See this one.

• Like 1

Envious of your hill sprints! I was feeling my baby sprints the next day, and the next day, and the next day...

tye_doing_pushups_gif_by_bennythebeast-d

"My name is Kishi and I do push ups for breakfast."

What. How did you know I do that. :D

Believe it or not, the sprints do get better. I promise. You'll get to a point where you can't imagine not doing them. :)

It's a happy change, for sure. :) I'm glad for it, myself.

Did some handstand practice yesterday. Lots of weird wrist calisthenics that left my hands feeling really, really warm. I'm especially fascinated by Sommer's version of fingertip push ups, where instead of splaying your fingers out in a 'claw,' you press up on to the fingers while keeping the hand relatively 'bladed.'

Anyway, tripod practice afterward. Then kicked up into a handstand against the wall just to remind myself that I could. Then, did 50 push ups in 2:32, and then fifteen hill sprints at a 10:50 work:rest ratio.

Fun stuff.

Went and saw X-Men: DOFP last night. It was pretty amazing. All the best parts of past X-Men films came together to create something awesome. Really, I got nothing else to say about it. See this one.

Nice work!  50 pushups in 2;32 is fantastic.

New X-Men does look good, need to see that.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines