In Which Kishi Sucks It Up

Kishi

It sounds like everything is coming together for you now!  Keep it up!

I always wanted to climb a rock wall but I am really scared of heights.  It does sound like fun though.

Wide grip pull up sound rough.  I will have to try them. 

Great job on the punches too!

Yeah, the height thing is definitely something you gotta get over. When I went a couple weeks ago, I used an auto-belay, and I had a really hard time trusting the machine. It was scary, especially because it gives a little before it catches you. But I have an incentive to go off and face the things that scare me, so, I do, and I'm lucky enough that on the other side of the fear is something that I feel I can enjoy.

They are! Put it this way: if a regular pull up can be done for x reps, then a chin up is typically x+2 while a wide grip is x-1 or more. They are brutal things, and I stayed away from them for a while. No more...

Thanks!

Excellent, and pullups aren't going to strain the leg either.  And they're awesome.  That was ok with the climbing?

Any chance you asked the campaigners if they'd do anything to help people who need to work 3 jobs to get by?  Likely not since they saw you at two of those jobs.

It was okay! I'm still feeling some achey tiredness in my grip from the work of the past few days, but today's a rest day from the pull ups, so it'll be okayish. I actually didn't fry my hamstring as badly as I thought I would - it's not been talking to me very much the past few days, so.

You know, I thought I would, but the only thing they were looking for were volunteers. I don't trust any of the political causes in my country - one's anti-intellectual, the other's a bureaucratic nightmare, and they're both horribly, horribly corrupt - so I wasn't really interested in that. Oh well.

• Like 2

Yay for a strong end to your challenge!  The rock climbing sounds like fun.

It was! It really, really was.

Mobility: 3/3

PUG: 40/40

Sleep: 5/5

Nice! Was able to get enough sleep this time, in a rare change of events. Which I needed. I was scheduled to work a nine hour shift at Panera today... but they ended up letting me go early to cut down on labor costs. I'll take it.

Changed out those side to side squats for deck squats, an earlier progression in the system. Man. I should have done that one from the first. Those things are hard.

Did 24 pull ups tonight, wide grip, and now my elbow's complaining a bit, which it does from time to time whenever I get serious into pull ups. This challenge has been very... educational in terms of what I can get away with and what I can't. I've got to find a way to make time for mobility work. Can't just do it on the spur of the moment; this is something I need to make time for.

I guess we'll take a stab at scheduling this thing next challenge.

• Like 1

You are really kicking it up a notch this time!  24 pull ups??? My shoulders are wincing just hearing that number and pull ups in the same sentence!

I'm not sure how your hamstring is feeling but for hip mobility I vote for Cheechoe's routine.  Also, have you looked into Original Strength?  

http://originalstrength.net/

These guys, Geoff and Tim really have a handle on mobility and their simple exercises are meant to make us move like we did when we were babies.  I have been doing there movements, more over the last week or so, and it really helps make me much more mobile and it helps me keep the pain away.  I did some quick resets before I taught class today and it really helped me move much better with almost no pain.  They have a good website with a lot of info and a really good book.

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

You are really kicking it up a notch this time!  24 pull ups??? My shoulders are wincing just hearing that number and pull ups in the same sentence!

I'm not sure how your hamstring is feeling but for hip mobility I vote for Cheechoe's routine.  Also, have you looked into Original Strength?  

http://originalstrength.net/

These guys, Geoff and Tim really have a handle on mobility and their simple exercises are meant to make us move like we did when we were babies.  I have been doing there movements, more over the last week or so, and it really helps make me much more mobile and it helps me keep the pain away.  I did some quick resets before I taught class today and it really helped me move much better with almost no pain.  They have a good website with a lot of info and a really good book.

D'aw, shucks. 24 pull ups over the course of 30-40 minutes. It's not that impressive. Now, when the day comes that I can bust out 24 in a single set? Well.

I had not heard of them! But looking at it, it looks fascinating. I'll have to give them a try at some point.

Mobility: 3/3

PUG: 42/42

Sleep: 7/7

Savings Goal: 6/6

Aaaaaand, slides in to base to finish it strong! Boom. Wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to put the money together in time, but the pool job helped to make that happen.

And, also, got off the phone today with a guy who's leasing out a room in an apartment complex near here. The rent includes all the utilities and internet, with a cheaper security deposit, and a free month's rent. Score! Only catch is, the room's not gonna be open until August 10, so, I'mma have to find a way to live in the city for 10 days. Couch surfing or living in a tent. Hmmmm. Still, good to see that the problem's a lot smaller now than it was looking initially. Assuming I sign the papers on Wednesday, I'll be able to tell my employers that I can stick around. It'd be a good thing to be able to say.

So, all told, that brings me to...

Mobility: 24/26

PUG: 42

Sleep: 39/42

Savings: 6/6

All in all, I'd say this challenge was a success. :) Now to ruminate on what I learned in the meditation hall...

• Like 2

Woohoo!  Nice final numbers!  All of this while working three jobs.

10 days is more manageable than a month.  Couch surfing looks feasible?  You're due for more hours soon at the restaurant at the end of the summer?

Yup yup.

Couch surfing does look feasible at this point, and apparently there are storage facilities that will loan out for like a dollar for the first month, which is nice. And I am due for more hours at the end of the summer; in fact, I have more hours now than the girl who recommended me for the position, which is awesome. So... yeah... I hesitate to say things are looking better, but things are looking better.

• Like 2

All I have to say to that is:

YAAAAAAY!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Hellz yea!

Nailing the end of the challenge, amid all your jobs and living situations.  Freaking.  Bad.  Ass.

Also, couch surfing for 10 days isn't terrible!  Hey, you even can embrace your Ronin moniker!  Which means you need to film an epic wandering montage in those 10 days.  Just saying.

Looking good, sempai

Also, I'm a horrible friend because I haven't read Chapters 3 and 4 yet.  I'm sorry. ;_;

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Couch surfing does look feasible at this point, and apparently there are storage facilities that will loan out for like a dollar for the first month, which is nice. And I am due for more hours at the end of the summer; in fact, I have more hours now than the girl who recommended me for the position, which is awesome. So... yeah... I hesitate to say things are looking better, but things are looking better.

Yay!  You have a place to live, not just one but three jobs and a plan coming together to improve your life!  Tremendous progress in the last few months.

I am especially impressed with how you have managed to keep up with exercise and NF while you were juggling everything else. Once you get a stable base established I am sure you will do amazing things.

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Yup yup.

Up with the water ......

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

All I have to say to that is:

YAAAAAAY!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

:D :D :D

Hellz yea!

Nailing the end of the challenge, amid all your jobs and living situations.  Freaking.  Bad.  Ass.

Also, couch surfing for 10 days isn't terrible!  Hey, you even can embrace your Ronin moniker!  Which means you need to film an epic wandering montage in those 10 days.  Just saying.

Looking good, sempai

Also, I'm a horrible friend because I haven't read Chapters 3 and 4 yet.  I'm sorry. ;_;

Right at the last second. I was mostly afraid that I'd miss out on the savings goal due to some Groupon shenanigans, but I made more money than I expected, so I was able to put some away.

Dude, if I had the equipment for it, you bet I would. It'd be kickin' rad.

Meh, don't worry about it. I'll just be spamming you with more chapters in the meantime. Be prepared.

Yay!  You have a place to live, not just one but three jobs and a plan coming together to improve your life!  Tremendous progress in the last few months.

I am especially impressed with how you have managed to keep up with exercise and NF while you were juggling everything else. Once you get a stable base established I am sure you will do amazing things.

Gotta keep trying, right? Of course, that means that one way or the other, I gotta be ready to make the move, which means a mass clean up and paring everything down to the essentials.

I hope so. Everything's gonna settle out really soon. Just another 20 days or so...

Up with the water ......

Ha ha ha, that sounds so foreboding!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines