[coop000] Coop's Quest

This is my first challenge and I'm looking forward to this holding me acountable for actually working out...not just thinking about working out.  This has also forced me to actually write out what I want and how I want to get there. 

Main Quest:

To get 100% on AF PT Test

Goals (Edit):

1.  Complete workouts daily.  Each workout on its planned day. 

a.  Complete 13 Week Run/Walk program (Mon / Wed / Fri)

b.  Do Beginer Body Weight Circuits (Tues / Thurs / Sat)

- add pull up specfic items as strength progresses

c.  Yoga (Sun)

2.  Cut 2 minutes off current 1.5 mile run time.

3.  Do 1 pull-up

Motivation:

I would like to get back in shape compared to the athlete I used to be.  When I get home from my deployment I would like to have increased in strength, as well as lose a little weight and put on some muscle.  Many of the things that I enjoy doing at home are athletic/outdoorsy.  To be able to enjoy myself doing those will be great.  Also by having some sort of workout everyday I would like this to become part of my routine.  I will listen to by body and add a rest day between if required, however I will not let my brain talk me out of working out.

Obstacles to success:

I'm in Afghanistan in the summer....it's hot outside and I don't like running on treadmills.  My schedule constantly gets shifted around so it is hard to have a set time, consequently I don't have a set work out buddy who won't let me slack off.  But like the last NF post said, "NO EXCUSES!"  Just go and do it and you'll like the end results.

Coop

• Like 2

You're Afghanistan? What is it like there? (Please don't answer hot).

Good luck with your goals and the AF PT Test.

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

In the process of metamorphosis to Dunmer

STR 8|  DEX 4|  STA 6|  CON 5|  WIS 4|  CHA 3|

0.1   0.5   0.3   0.3   0.5    0.4

Spoiler

"Hold on, the weight of the world will give you the strength to go."

"War Never Changes. Men do, through the roads they walk."

"With great power, there must also come great responsibility."

Welcome to NF Coop.  We're thrilled to have you.

You look like you have great goals.  The only thing I would recommend (considering that you're on deployment and scheduling isn't really an option) is to create a measurement system that allows you to track your goals e.g. 30 minutes of yoga once a week, 2 full BBWW circuits 3 days a week etc.  Also do leave room in your schedule for a rest day or two - your body does need time to recuperate regardless of what kind of athlete you are.

Good Luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Hello!

I’m Hazard, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild.  With the Beginner Body Weight circuits it looks like you may have goals similar to many in our guild work on, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, I’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Hi Coop!

I'm an Ambassador for the Scouts Guild, your run/walk goal lines right up with our passions :) In my signature you'll find links to the Scouts Tavern and Base Camp, two common areas for making friends with similar goals, asking questions and getting support.

Best of luck with your 100% PT Test goal - that's a tough one! My husband is Army and I do have friends who have also aimed for that lofty goal. There are also other military Nerds around here striving for PT perfection, with the search bar I bet you could find them (or I could help!)

I'm excited to see how your challenge progresses. I'm so excited for Day One!

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Just wanted to drop by and congratulate you on signing for the challenge. I know you'll do great! It's hard to fit fitness in your schedule sometimes, but you'll see it can only do your body some good.

Good luck with the test and all the best for all your goals! :)

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Looks intense.  Might want to have some way to gauge progress.  I'm working on pull-ups and correctly done bent-over rows help a LOT in that regard.  Not sure what access you have:

I do this exercise with concrete bags and kettelbells attached to a metal pole since I made myself a little home gym.  

Good luck and have fun :)

• Like 1

You're Afghanistan? What is it like there? (Please don't answer hot).

Good luck with your goals and the AF PT Test.

I've been deployed several times and this is my second trip to Afghanistan.  Kabul is an interesting city and would be a cool place to visit...you know if it weren't for the Taliban.  Afghan food is also very good and I enjoy getting it when I'm back home even.  Mostly my view of Afghanistan consists of the view from the air.  I do alot of overwatch to help support the troops on the ground.

• Like 1

I realized that in reality I had only set one goal, so I have edited my goals to help me achieve my main quest (see first post).  I needed to set a baseline for my 1.5 mile run.  So yesterday in the 95 degree heat I went for a jog.  My 1.5 mile runtime was 18:01 minutes.  At the end of the challenge I will take another jaunt down the road and see if I have cut my 1.5 mile run time to sub 16:01. 

Looking forward to kicking this thing off offically on Monday and getting my life back on the right track.

Coop

• Like 2

Well, work got in the way and I missed Day 3.  NO excuses. 

Day 4.  I put it to a crew vote on what I should do.  Final decision, I completed the run from Day 3 (1min run/2 min walk 9 times) and did the upperbody and ab portions from the BBW workout planned today.  7 & 5 on the pushups, 25lbs x2 on the dumbbell rows, 2x planks.  I naturallly do wide pushups so I'm working on keeping my elbows in and that makes for tough pushups...but it can only get better and I can only get stronger.

• Like 1

Day 5.  Switched the workouts for Friday and Sat.  Did 2x BBW workout.  7x pushups, 25 lb dumbell rows.  Tommorrow morning the run awaits...before it breaks 100 degrees.

I'm not very happy with the pushups.  I know I've got to start somewhere but I don't wanna sell myself short either.  Next week the plan is to up to 3x BBDubs and possible up the dumbbell weight.

• Like 2

Don't beat yourself up, you're doing great!

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Day 5.  Switched the workouts for Friday and Sat.  Did 2x BBW workout.  7x pushups, 25 lb dumbell rows.  Tommorrow morning the run awaits...before it breaks 100 degrees.

I'm not very happy with the pushups.  I know I've got to start somewhere but I don't wanna sell myself short either.  Next week the plan is to up to 3x BBDubs and possible up the dumbbell weight.

Doing any pushups is an accomplishment. It took me almost a year to build up from wall-ups to desk-ups, to tire-ups to normal floor pushups.  It's just about consistency.

• Like 2

Day 6 was a no show.  Bad on me.  -1 cool points.

Day 7. was feeling tough.  I didn't think I was gonna make time for the yoga.  But I got back to my pod and found enough space and did the first 20 mins of P90X YogaX.  Just what I needed.  Couldn't do more cause I needed to get to sleep, but perfect stopping point and I'm glad I was able to make the time/space for it.

• Like 2

Good job getting in what you CAN!  Perfection is often the enemy of progress - so keep doing something even if it was not what you planned!

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Day 9 and 10 were no shows.  My schedule got switched around and I couldn't seem to adjust.  -2 cool points

Day 11.  2x BBW substituted back lunges and side planks.  Dumbbell rows still 25 lbs, trying to decide if I should move up a weight or if I'm not using my back enough and need to stay on 25lbs and focus more on back. Push ups still the bane of my existence. 

I'm looking for some tips here.  I can do wide pushups no problem but I'm really working on my form and keeping my elbows in.  This does provide some stress on my shoulders.  Wall pushups are way to easy and standard gym bench height is a bit of a challenge on my wrists (the weird angle). Anybody got any suggestions on modifications?  I'm thinking maybe pushups on big bouncy ball.  I look forward to any and all suggestions.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines