• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waanie

Waanie will live like a puppy

Challenge 3: Something something PUPPIES!

puppy-on-the-painted-floor-boards.jpg

There are a lot of cute cat pictures in these forums, but I'm missing the puppies. Also, when I constructed my goals, I concluded that the only reasonable theme for my challenge would be puppies. So I'll do my best to incorporate a lot of puppy pictures and gifs in this challenge :).

This challenge, I will be like a puppy because...

1) I will try to master the downward facing dog

This includes doing all videos of the 30-day challenge of doyouyoga.com, which includes a lot of downward facing dogs. This is 30/6 = 5 days a week. The other two days a week I can do whatever exercises I want that help me towards a downward dog. Most days this will be stretching the back of my legs or shoulders, other days this may include wrist strength or just being upside down a lot.

I have been close to getting my heels on the ground for a few months now, and every time I don't practice for a week my heels are high again. I want to finally master it! Also, for me it is a very compound pose as it stretches the back of my legs (hamstrings and calves), stretches my shoulders, relieves tension in my upper back and neck and increases strength in my arms and wrists. I love it <3.

Maximum #points: 42

Maximum score: +1 STR, +1 STA, +2 DEX

downward_facing_dog_cartoon_postcards-re

2) I will go outside twice a day or once a day for over an hour

Puppies have to go outside several times a day. I also need to go outside several times a day to recover from my depression. So every day, I will go outside at least twice. The minimum is on the sidewalk with the front door closed. Since this feels silly, I will probably also walk around a block when I'm outside anyways. Alternatively, if I've been outside for over an hour, I don't have to go outside a second time. It only counts as being outside twice if I have been inside for at least half an hour in between. So no, I may not cheat by stepping outside my front door, close it, open it, step inside, step outside, close it, open it and go inside again. That's not going outside twice, that's going outside once.

Maximum #points: 42

Maximum score: +2 STA +2 CON

8094741544_f5c41b26d1_z.jpg

3) I will run 2-3 times a week

I'm going to follow the couch to 5K program in the next 6 weeks. Instead of running 3 times a week, I give myself a little space because I also want to do bodyweight training 2-3 times a week. I have to keep my body happy, so 3 times a week might be too much.

Maximum #points: 12

Maximum score: +1 STR, +3 STA

Puppy1.jpg

Side) I will build three healthy habits

I need to get over my depression, and that includes some habit building. On Monday of the first, third and fifth week I will choose one daily habit I'll have to incorporate into my daily life. This can be literally anything, as long as it is daily and as long as it helps me to recover from my depression. I need to do the habits of that week and all previous weeks, so in the first two weeks I need to do one habit, in the third and fourth week I need to do two habits and in the last two weeks I need to do three habits.

Maximum #points: 42/28/14

Maximum score: +1 ??? for every habit

puppy-and-kitten.jpg

That's it for now, I hope this challenge will be as successful as the last was :).

Summary of missions:

1) I will try to master the downward facing dog

2) I will go outside twice a day or once a day for over an hour

3) I will run 2-3 times a week

Side) I will build three healthy habits

• Like 8

I am already in love with your challenge! I didn't know but now I realise there has indeed not been enough cute puppy photos on here! Oh well I have to admit I like all cute animal photos yay! :D

• Like 2

White shepherd!! <3

Great outdoor theme! You should get a dog ;)

Oh I know all of the best walking places around, so if you need any tips let me know.

• Like 1

White shepherd!! <3

Great outdoor theme! You should get a dog ;)

Oh I know all of the best walking places around, so if you need any tips let me know.

Unfortunately, I can't have a dog since I'm extremely allergic to them. I do want to have cats in the future though, but I don't think they agree with being walked around with. And our apartment is just too small for a pig (did you ever notice the pig being walked near railway station east?) ;). I'll PM you about the walking places! My running route begins to become a bit boring by now.

Ok, I'm melting all over the floor. 

Which C25K program are you using?

O-oh, please un-melt before your next challenge. You don't want to disappoint the pirates! I'm using the NHS program and podcasts. I like the music and the accent!

I think a puppy challenge is a great way to help recovery! Will follow for inspiration when I get back to my computer.

Thanks! Puppies are just too cute to feel negative about the world ;).

My trusty sidekick Bree-the-Dog heartily agrees with your theme :)

You'll have to thank Bree for the theme, it was because of him (her?) that I thought of this theme :).

At the moment, I'm very enthusiastic and I feel like:

happy_puppy-198x300.jpg

I'm looking forward to starting this challenge AND to looking up cute pictures :).

• Like 3

Unfortunately, I can't have a dog since I'm extremely allergic to them. I do want to have cats in the future though, but I don't think they agree with being walked around with. And our apartment is just too small for a pig (did you ever notice the pig being walked near railway station east?) ;). I'll PM you about the walking places! My running route begins to become a bit boring by now.

I'll just leave this here...

Querque walking

• Like 2

Thanks for the awesome pictures :). The rolling dog is hilarious, I hope he was able to stand up in the end ;).

I reread some of the posts of Steve about habit building, and it seems as if my plans might work for that. I'll just have to make sure that the habits I'll pick are small and conveniently timed. I might be working on too many things at the same time though, so I'll have to make sure that the things I pick are really different AND have different moments, e.g. after dinner, before bed, somewhere during my morning routine, etc.

Two and a half weeks ago I started with making a planning for the day every morning at 8.15. In the beginning I did not take the time very rigorously, but I sense that it's easier if I just do it at the same time every day. It's starting to become easier now, and it gives me more rest during the day. If I did not plan for something today and it's not very urgent, I won't do it today. This has some side effects like dishes that are not cleaned on the same day, but it gives me more calm of mind. Taking five to ten minutes in the morning to plan my day becomes easier the more I do it, so I'm really glad I can almost call this a habit now :).

The other habit I'm working on now is teaching myself programming in C++ for 30 minutes (and not 29 or 31) every morning at the same time. I want to be able to work again at some point in the future, so I need to learn to concentrate without getting extremely tired again. Together with my psychologist I decided that this was the easiest way to start again and to get used to working again. I won't be close to 8 hours a day for quite some time, but I have to start somewhere ;).

• Like 3

We used to walk our cats on leashes.  You just have to start with them as little kittens. 

I'll think about it :). At the moment my bf and I don't have the energy and financial stability to be able to care for cats, so we'll wait with going to the shelter until we do have a job and we'll have more energy.

Today and tomorrow will be hot again, so I'm not sure yet how my challenge will start. Yoga and walking/biking won't be a problem, but running in the heat with high humidity is no fun. Later it will be better, so I will probably run just twice next week on Tue/Wed/Thur and Fri/Sat (with one day in between). I'm really scared of getting injured, so my progress will feel extremely slow.

As my habit, I will tell myself every night three reasons why I'm awesome:

Habit 1:

What? Give myself three reasons why I was awesome that day

When? Just before bed

Why? To learn to appreciate myself

Reward if successful? +1 CHA

The attribute point was a difficult decision, but I decided that if I feel better about myself, I will show it to others and will be more likable. Do you guys think CHA is the right decision?

• Like 2

You actually like this weather? It's way too warm for me, even though it is not as bad as I feared ;). Give me 10-15 degrees any day ^^.

Today I tested my new schedule, and it might be slightly too busy. I will lessen the amount of household stuff I do in the morning and see if it works better. On the other hand, I cleaned a lot today AND I archived/cleaned up my paperwork of the past couple of years. It's surprising how much I could throw away ;). It seemed like a lot of work before I started, but I was surprised at how quickly things got done. Big win for me :).

puppy+in+glasses.jpg

• Like 2

Loving this thread. Sounds like you have some really great challenges. Too bad you're allergic to dogs. What about a hairless one? like a Chineese crested or Mexican hairless? Or a hypoallergenic like a Doodle? I walk dogs for a living and it's proving to be AWESOME for putting me in a great mood every day. But I think that living like a puppy will help too! (as long as you don't develop a taste for pooping on the rug and chewing up your favourite things! :playful:

• Like 1

I'm with the other kitty on this one. Give me a nice, not too warm spring day. That's just perfect for me. 

Not too warm spring days are the best :).

Loving this thread. Sounds like you have some really great challenges. Too bad you're allergic to dogs. What about a hairless one? like a Chineese crested or Mexican hairless? Or a hypoallergenic like a Doodle? I walk dogs for a living and it's proving to be AWESOME for putting me in a great mood every day. But I think that living like a puppy will help too! (as long as you don't develop a taste for pooping on the rug and chewing up your favourite things! :playful:

The last time I touched a dog I had eczema for months afterward, so if I say I'm allergic that's an understatement. A doodle might be a solution, but I think we better stick to cats ;). Walking dogs for a living sounds like a great job, you get to spend so much time with dogs :). Since I don't have a rug and I love chewing on food way more than chewing on other stuff, I think I'll be alright with the bad side effects of living like a puppy.

Yesterday night I did bodyweight training for the first time in weeks, and my strength has declined a lot. I can still do one chin up, but the amount of negative pull ups, push ups and squats was very low. My boyfriend and I are going to work out together, so that's very nice :). My boyfriend is a bit stronger than I am, but compared to our weight I'm slightly stronger. We can do the same exercises without them being too easy or difficult for one of us, so that's really great :D. This week we will workout twice, and we plan on working out twice or thrice every week. I'm also going to run twice this week (tomorrow and Friday), so I'll have a busy schedule for workouts. I just hope my DOMS won't be as bad as it is today ;).

dsc02547.jpg

• Like 5

Ohh if that's a decline then you must be pretty strong! I bet your progress will be fast :)

And tbh I prefer colder weather too, but might as well try to enjoy what we got, right?

• Like 1

Ohh if that's a decline then you must be pretty strong! I bet your progress will be fast :)

And tbh I prefer colder weather too, but might as well try to enjoy what we got, right?

It helps that I've been working out for several months now ;). It also helps that I've always worked out in some way, and that my weight has been pretty constant over the past couple of years. I often feel like I should lose a few kilos, but I never really put any effort in it. I just love eating nice food and cooking/baking too much, and I can eat quite a lot while maintaining 60kg and wearing clothes of the same size as I wore 10 years ago.

And yeah, walking around in just a sports bra and skirt also has its charms :). Early mornings are still okay to be outside, so I try every morning to go for a short walk.

• Like 2

Okay, the challenge has started.

puppy-running.jpg

I have worked on my downward dog this morning and asked my boyfriend to take a picture. Conclusion: I'm almost there, but I need a little more length in my shoulders, hamstrings and calves. My upper back was more rounded than I expected, so that's also something for me to work on, although that might become better if my shoulders are more flexible.

This morning I also took a walk outside, and the weather was not too hot yet. That's two out of four goals of today nailed already!

• Like 4