iatetheyeti: +1 Resurrection

Brief pre-challenge update:

I had kind of a horrible wake-up call about ten minutes ago. See, apparently I hadn't been doing the whole massage the wrist/tendons properly. Today I got shown how, and I can actually feel how bad things are. The tendons (or tendon casing, to be more accurate (according to my doctor, I should say)) in my left wrist are a little lumpy, but nothing too bad, as far as these things go. My right wrist? Downright horrific. Lumpy to the extreme. I could barely stand touching it.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is most likely the result of not just regular tendonitis, but ignoring prior physiotherapy advice. Do not do this.

It's one thing being told you have these things wrong with you. It's another thing being given the treatment or shown x-rays or the like. It's another thing entirely to be able to feel the damage and know that you did that to yourself, that it's your own fault.

It should not take that kind of wake up call for the lesson to be well and truly hammer in.

And because I don't want this all to be negative, the positive part is that I'm back up in Fort William until Monday for the mountain biking world cup. Today was the qualifying day, and we actually had decent weather for the most part. I had my camera out, and while the photos I got were not fantastic, I was still having fun. Even alone! Tomorrow is set to rain, so I've had to make a makeshift camera cover from a thick plastic bag, but it should still be good fun. I'll post some pictures tomorrow, including a foodie one :D

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Ohh ouchies. It is bad now BUT you are on the way to fixing it. That's the positive. :) You're on the road to recovery.

Can't wait to see the photos. Have you tested out the cover already? To, you know, make sure you don't get foggy photos. ^_^

Sent from a magical handheld box

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Ohh ouchies. It is bad now BUT you are on the way to fixing it. That's the positive. :) You're on the road to recovery.

Can't wait to see the photos. Have you tested out the cover already? To, you know, make sure you don't get foggy photos. ^_^

Sent from a magical handheld box

This is true :)

The cover was pretty much a thick plastic bag with a hole in it for the lens to poke out, so there was no danger of foggy pictures. And it worked, surprisingly enough!

Physio exercises are a super party. My mom is a physio, which was really convenient while I was growing up, considering the exact nature of my outdoor hobbies, and the countless number of trees involved.

Heh, I probably could have done with a physio relative when I was growing up...

At least now it is hammered in and you have right frame of mind to fix it.

Have fun at the comp!

Very true, and if I can avoid it happening again, so much the better.

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

And now for the pre-challenge bike ramble. Because I'm happy and I said I would :D

As it turns out, I can't even persuade my housemates to come out of hiding even when I'm visiting for a few days...

That said, one of the others that had moved out was up for the weekend, so it was good to see her again. And hey, I've not exactly been in much, so I can't complain all that much about the lonely evenings.

Today and yesterday were amazing.

Yesterday was qualifying, and I got a little way up the hill to watch a few runs. Admittedly the photos were not fantastic, but the fresh air was. Today, however, was another level. I started it by being spectacularly late in getting out of bed, then driving to the shuttle bus, getting out into a heaving crowd, and all but fighting my way up the side of the track. This was followed by attack by small, biting things of evil. Honestly, if my arms weren't a delightful shade of lobster, I'd look like I have chicken pox.

Thankfully I was saved by a friendly photographer who I'd met before, and one liberal coating of Smidge later I was all set and in a much better place for taking pictures. Of course, I spent the first hundred or so pictures on the wrong setting... I did realise this in time for the start of the races, so that was something. 

Without further ado, have some pictures (I don't think I took more than five or so six where a rider had both wheels on the ground...):

DSC_0189-Copy.jpg?t=1402176577

Marc Beaumont of GT Factory Racing (I think, anyway!) on a practice run. He did pretty well, I reckon, despite qualifying 18th yesterday.

DSC_0330-Copy.jpg?t=1402176584

I can't remember who this is, but I like her style. She was one of the few women who went big and pulled a bit of a whip on this section of the course.

DSC_0572-Copy.jpg?t=1402176849

One of my biking heroes, Rachel Atherton, still taking the jump even with a flat. I was kind of shocked when she came around the corner with that, and more so when she rode past me crying. I later found out she'd been disqualified for a marshal helping her out when she got the flat. This after trying to come back from a serious illness that's held her back in competition... Not fun.

DSC_0397-Copy.jpg?t=1402176842

And one of my other heros, Manon Carpenter, who qualified first. Flat back tyre. This course eats tyres. Literally. I felt so bad for everyone who went past with a flat during their race run, and there were quite a few of them.

DSC_0382-Copy.jpg?t=1402176592

The women's elite winner on an amazingly nice prototype bike. I kinda want one...

DSC_0652-Copy.jpg?t=1402176835

I never managed to get a clear picture of the men's winner, so here's the last one I got, Danny Hart. I'll be honest, not a great fan of his, but I can't deny he is an amazing rider.

Now, I know I did say I'd put up a foodie pic as well, but I didn't have half of the ingredients I needed so I improvised. It ended up tasting amazing, but it looked like a cat threw it up onto a plate. Not going to put that on here!

Looking forward to starting the challenge tomorrow, though it's going to be kick started by a drive across the country. Probably through a horrific amount of tourist traffic. I have no intentions of getting up early, I've done that a lot recently and want to be lazy while I can, so I'll just have to cope with it.

• Like 3

You did great on those photos! I have never been good at sports photography (the kind of sports where things move fast, I mean, I would be fine with a bodybuilder :P

• Like 2

This entire bike thing is incredible!! I read this post loke 6 times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Tapatalk

You did great on those photos! I have never been good at sports photography (the kind of sports where things move fast, I mean, I would be fine with a bodybuilder :tongue:

Especially the second picture, that was great!

Thanks guys!

Heh, biking photography is tricky enough even when it's just a small gathering of friends riding for the sake of having photos taken. These guys... Well, let's just say that I took close to seven hundred pictures and only about twenty two have turned out to be usable so far (and I've only got about two hundred left to sort through!). Possibly more luck than skill going on here!

• Like 1

This is very true. Even with me saying about luck, I can still see a massive difference between the pictures I took this year and the ones I took at last year's biking world cup. So there has been at least some improvement!

• Like 1

Week One, Day One

I know I said I'd put up some measurements and pictures on Sunday, but I got a surprise punch in the uterus and bloating has thrown things a lot out of proportion so it can wait a little while. Also, Sunday was pretty full on what with the biking and the sun and the everything.

Today hasn't been all that great, but in terms of the challenge, it actually started off quite well.

I woke up, did my stretches, both physio and regular, and puttered around the house a little bit, trying to figure out if anyone was actually in. As it turns out, either no one was or no one was awake, so I ended up packing up and leaving without saying goodbye to anyone. It's not so bad though, I'm back up there again on the 19th of this month for five days.

The drive back over here... Well. It started off ok, then I got onto the A9. They've put in average speed cameras all along a massive section of it. It's fine if you get a clear run at it, like I did on the way over there, because all you need to do is what you normally do and don't go speed crazy. If not... Yeah. The traffic itself wasn't fantastic either. I spent a good hour of the three hour journey about twenty miles below the speed limit, and half an hour going between ten and fifteen miles an hour. Still don't know why that happened. Either way, it happened in scorching heat with no breeze, so opening the windows was pointless, and the air conditioning in my car sucks. There may have been verbalised road rage as a result...

And yet when I got to Arbroath, it was raining.

Typical.

Getting back did mean it was time to finish tackling another problem, that of the guest room I've invaded. I've managed to do so to the best of my ability, but there isn't much space:

IMGP1985.jpg?t=1402260574

I'm quite literally standing on the back of the sofa bed with the camera way above my head in an attempt to get everything in. The gap between the bed and the door is what I ended up using for my beer yoga pose (It's back! It's back!), but it isn't really big enough for much else, or anything particularly energetic. As for the gap between that makeshift table (piles of books supporting an old shop sign) and the bed?

IMGP1986.jpg?t=1402260583

Not the best picture, but you can see it's much smaller. And most of the time occupied by a box of books. I've realised I own a lot of those...

Still, since this is supposed to be my primary work out area, I'm going to have to figure out a way around the tight spots. Or just be really careful, but that isn't something I do well...

So not an eventful start, but a start nonetheless. Tomorrow I start the day with a couple of hours at not-work, then I'll do my first proper workout in a while. If the weather turns bright again then I'll finish up the bike maintenance I started before the weekend. Plus I'll try and make some photogenic food :D

• Like 3

Sub'd!

I definitely think it's a great idea having a nice list of good exercises and bad exercises! 

And those bike photos are amazing! If nothing else the amount of pictures you took just goes to show how persistence pays off :P 

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

The list is definitely keeping me in check! It'll be nice to see the god exercises list grow and the bad shrink as time goes on as well.

Heh, thanks! Honestly, I'll take any excuse to get out there with my camera, so some day I'm bound to get as good as I'd like to be, I hope.

• Like 1

Week One, Day Two

Today I felt epic.

I figured that since I hadn't done a proper workout in ages and that since I knew I was going to face limitations from my dodgy arm that I should psych myself up as much as possible.

...apparently that means putting on the workout clothes (pyjama bottoms and a sports bra totally counts) as soon as a thunderstorm starts, shutting off the lights, lighting a couple of candles, and doing the whole workout like that (with this particularly awesome music playing).

It worked.

I started off with the stretches I'd picked up from the first mini challenge, then moved into some yoga before diving into the actual workout. Since it had been a while, I did everything to not-quite-exhaustion. As close as I thought was sensible, really. And considering that got me a decent number of squats, a rather nice full pistol on my right leg (as in butt cheeks brushing the floor before I hauled myself back up with no assistance), and maybe a quarter of a single arm push-up that was horrifically difficult to do, well, I'm quite pleased with that.

There was sweat, there was a raised pulse, and there were results. What more could I ask for at this stage?

That said, that isn't what I'm so happy about today. No, that goes to the small window of sunshine earlier this afternoon. I hauled the bike back out of the shed and finished up the maintenance. Whilst I was trying to reattach my chain my grip kept slipping, so I figured the easiest solution was to run inside and grab my little (shouldn't really call him that, dude's six feet tall now and still growing) brother to hold the rear derailleur in a fully extended position so I could get the chain on.

I expected protests. Got none.

No, what happened was my reclusive, daylight and sports hating younger brother willingly stayed outside with me and was genuinely curious about what I was doing. He asked questions, got me to talk him through what I was doing, and even helped out a little.

Who knows, maybe I can persuade him out of the house a little more over the summer.

So that's the bike kinda fixed. Gears are still iffy so I'm taking it with me to Fort William on the 19th, I'll drop by the shop I bought it from and see if they'll take a look at it. They're a good bunch of guys, so chances are I'll get a good deal. If parts need replacing, so be it. Nevertheless, I plan on using the bike in the mean time. My cacti, hungry little creatures that they are, have devoured the feed I bought, so I need to drop by Dundee to get some more. Why not cycle?

That's all for today.

...and, um, no photogenic food because I'm currently eating like a pregnant woman. It's weird. I don't like it, but it'll be over soon enough.

• Like 4

Looks like you've got a lot on your plate this time 'round, but it all looks like good stuff! And stick with your physio! Physio is wonderful stuff, but only if you do what you're told (I learned this one the hard way, several times over...)

And holy cow re: the older brother thing. That's quite the revelation...

• Like 1

Physio seems to be one of those strange beasts that is equally amazing and utterly frustrating at the same time... I have noticed a bit of a difference already, though, which should make it easier for me to stick it out (I hope!).

...yeah. Honestly, I think the whole thing would be easier to process if I could get properly angry about being kept in the dark for so long or something, but it hasn't happened yet, so...

• Like 2

Awesome :D

It was amazing, properly amazing. Heh, if the good weather sticks around for when I'm back up next week then I'm gonna need to go for a ride myself, I reckon.

• Like 2

Yep, for almost a week thanks to a long weekend of marshalling work! I'll be up early on the Wednesday. I would have liked to have come up sooner, but I couldn't get the car before then. So if that works, then absolutely! If not, I'll be up again at some point around the 26th/27th for a little while.

Week One, Day Five

It's so hot here. Right now it isn't even sunny, it's just been raining, but it's so hot and humid that it's actually kind of hard to deal with. I shouldn't be complaining, I know, it's nice to have warm weather, especially when it comes with sunshine. But I don't know what to do with it. Cold is easy (says the person who is regularly hypothermic), with cold you layer up and down as the temperature dictates and everything is fine. With heat... even when you're wearing nothing it gets to you. It feels like this, all the time:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24569-1373056031-0.

I can be exhausted and lying in bed, but not be able to sleep because it's so hot. My appetite had suffered over the past few days, and my head is constantly pounding no matter how much water I drink.

I swear, I actually love the hot weather, but you wouldn't think so to hear me speak about it!

Ok, so on the exercise front things have been going well. I'm still managing to keep to my morning and nightly physio, though I am getting a few additional twinges. That probably has more to do with the fact that I almost always get defaulted to heavy lifting whenever I'm working. Well, I call it working... My parents own a shop, I get pulled in to cover for them when they don't want to be there. Usually I get paid, this time around I don't. They also call me in to lift the heavy things.

So there's that.

I also did some grip training today. It worked out well enough, and it also might be the cause of the little twinges. I do have a plan insofar as that goes, but for that plan to be put into action I need to speed time along a little until the weekend after this one. Money happens then. With money comes the ability to purchase better grip training aids. Until then, the squeezy gripy thingies will do.

And food?

Tomorrow I'm making a cheesecake. I promise to put up a full report no matter what it turns out like. Honest!

There is also the small thing where one of our freezers managed to unplug itself and has apparently been defrosting for a couple of days. So all of the food is out and will have to be eaten. That includes a massive pork join and two lovely whole trout, also a small array of tuna steaks, meatballs, and other things. Basically, the week I planned to experiment with a calorie deficit (to see if I could more than anything else) is gone because of all the lovely food on offer. I may even be able to put together a dish or two that actually looks decent...

That is all. Here is a seal with hiccups:

tumblr_n3tf9cll861qbwg0zo1_500.gif

• Like 4

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines