iatetheyeti: +1 Resurrection

Oh god!  My eyes!  Why did you put that gif of . . . . Oh hey look, a seal with hiccups.  All good now. :)

I was going to make a suitably witty comment about how my master plan was working, but I've spent the past five minutes trying to stop laughing at your comment and now I can't remember what I was going to say...

Yay for seals with hiccups :P

• Like 4

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Ya gotta love the internet .... I'm gonna be shaking my head at that guy for a while, and I'll FEEL like him/her/it while trying to do exercises on the balance dome today. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Week One, Day Six

I felt like when today started it would be a bad day. Probably something to do with waking up at around 5am with a raging headache behind just the one temple. For some reason my weather related headaches happen more on the right side of my head than they do the left side, or even both. It wasn't all bad, though. I got a good number of things done, I wrote a ridiculous amount of lists, and today was a very good food day.

Lunch was lovely, but nothing special. Dinner? Dinner was a nine-veg feast. Look!

DSC_0074.jpg?t=1402694837

That's two types of onion, chilli, sweetcorn, green beans, courgette, broccoli, mushrooms, and carrots. All of that in the name of hoovering up the scraps and spares!

...it almost got destroyed before it even started, however.

See, my parents have two small frying pans, and one the approximate size of the moon. There isn't really a medium size, which is the one I really could have done with. So they suggest I use the wok. When I do, the first few bits of turkey that were dropped in were instantly coated in horrible black flakes peeled straight from the wok itself.

That was no pleasant, so I abandoned that and moved on to the moon sized frying pan to create this masterpiece:

DSC_0076.jpg?t=1402694846

Would you believe this is actually the best bit of food photography I've managed in a long time? I mean, sure, it wasn't quite so shiny in real life, but... That's really about as good as it gets (especially if I'm using my phone as opposed to my camera!).

Now.

That cheesecake.

That cheesecake is resting in the fridge so it sets before tomorrow's biking starts. I'll be honest, it actually looks quite bad:

DSC_0077.jpg?t=1402694849

Also my parents don't own a circular cake tin thing... I miss my kitchen...

It does, however, taste rather nice. Or at least it did when it went in there. I'm a little worried about the consistency, it doesn't really seem all that cheesecakey to me. However, it does appear to be setting. I think. I took the tin out and gave it a little wiggle about an hour ago and it didn't really move that much at all. I'm pretty much counting on it going wrong though, just because other people will in fact be eating it. It happens a lot, unfortunately... I do something well, get happy about it and start rambling on, and then when I try for a repeat performance I get a disaster instead.

We'll see, I guess...

There's probably not going to be much going on here between now and Tuesday evening. I'm working a full day, I've got arrangements to sort out for my weekend work, and there's still some uni stuff that needs sorting. I'll try for a weekly write-up tomorrow, just to keep things on track.

• Like 6

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

It's nice to see how you've been doing! It's heatwaving here too, seeing and reading about your food just made me hungry for the first time in days. Because it seems lovely to me.

It happens a lot, unfortunately... I do something well, get happy about it and start rambling on, and then when I try for a repeat performance I get a disaster instead.
Used to have that with bread. Sometimes the yeast would just go and do... something unexpected, sometimes something scary even. It's fine now, after a lot of breads. just keep going!!

Nyxy, lvl 13 Werewolf assassin!            Current challenge: butts               Fitocracy

Sub'd'a'licious!

Speaking of delicious; that's some yummy looking food right there! 

I really like your goals, sometimes we have to do a bit of 'back to basics' (not saying this is basic, at all! - a bit of a refresh, I guess?) work. 

Keep on kickin' ass, here comes week two! :livid: 

A Level 3 Wood Elf Finding Her Way

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.†William G.T. Shedd

My People  :livid:

Current Challenge: Taking Time

Looks like things are going well on your end! I'm glad :D

Sorry about those headaches though. Hopefully they won't keep bothering you :)

That dish you cooked looks delicious :encouragement: 

I can't give any good feed back on the cake however; I don't know what it's supposed to look like in the first place. But if you say it's coming along fine, then I'll take your word for it :D

Keep kicking ass, and have a great Monday :triumphant:

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

It's nice to see how you've been doing! It's heatwaving here too, seeing and reading about your food just made me hungry for the first time in days. Because it seems lovely to me.

Used to have that with bread. Sometimes the yeast would just go and do... something unexpected, sometimes something scary even. It's fine now, after a lot of breads. just keep going!!

Heh, keeping going means making lots more cheesecake. And you know? I'm more than happy to do that! Thankfully this one seemed to turn out ok, slightly faulty as far as these things go, but very edible :D

Sub'd'a'licious!

Speaking of delicious; that's some yummy looking food right there! 

I really like your goals, sometimes we have to do a bit of 'back to basics' (not saying this is basic, at all! - a bit of a refresh, I guess?) work. 

Keep on kickin' ass, here comes week two! :livid:

Cheers :D

This is true. I figure maybe if I actually lay the groundwork out properly this time then maybe I won't suffer my usual mid-challenge injury. And maybe I'll even be able to keep myself injury free for longer than that!

Looks like things are going well on your end! I'm glad :D

Sorry about those headaches though. Hopefully they won't keep bothering you :)

That dish you cooked looks delicious :encouragement:

I can't give any good feed back on the cake however; I don't know what it's supposed to look like in the first place. But if you say it's coming along fine, then I'll take your word for it :D

Keep kicking ass, and have a great Monday :triumphant:

The headaches happen pretty much every time there's a change in weather system. It's been happening for years, so I'm used to it by now.

Thanks :) Heh, apparently the cheesecake was supposed to look completely different, according to the recipe picture. Still, it actually tastes pretty good, so I can't complain. Just need to practice a lot more :D

• Like 1

It still tasted good. That's what matters. Your dinner also looks yummy. :) 

I'm pretty much counting on it going wrong though, just because other people will in fact be eating it. It happens a lot, unfortunately... I do something well, get happy about it and start rambling on, and then when I try for a repeat performance I get a disaster instead.

I feel this way every time I cook something that I end up sharing with someone besides my husband. I feel as though whatever I made isn't good anymore, even if it tastes good and is perfectly fine. 

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Delicious things that look wrong are basically all I do, so I think you're winning.

...I really need to write this down and put it up in the kitchen or something :D

It still tasted good. That's what matters. Your dinner also looks yummy. :)

I feel this way every time I cook something that I end up sharing with someone besides my husband. I feel as though whatever I made isn't good anymore, even if it tastes good and is perfectly fine. 

See, that's the thing. I can cook pretty well, and every time I have gotten over the stage fright and cooked for other people it's gone down well, but I just can't get past that initial 'oh it's going to go so wrong/it's going to taste foul/something has to go wrong this time/etc' thing.

I guess this means I should really start cooking for people more often, work through it and all that...

• Like 3

Week One Summary

Slightly late and very much abbreviated, but present nonetheless!

Got to say, things went better than I thought they might, so that's something. I've still not quite shaken off the worries and doubts about whether or not I can actually do this, but I'm feeling a bit better about it.

Goal One: Physical Recovery

Unarmoured - 1/100

It might only be one week into things, but the schedule is working. Sure, it is incredibly frustrating, and yeah, the restrictions mean that I can't go and experiment with exercises I like the look of just because. But it is working. I have twinges in the wrist from time to time, sure, but that's not going to vanish right away. The important thing is that my shoulder feels normal, my elbow hasn't bothered me in days, and I haven't had an increase in wrist pain, I've had a decrease.

Knife - 1/100

Almost too easy. I even managed to talk my way out of lifting too heavily at work, which is kind of miraculous given who I work for...

Restoration - 1/100

I have actually remembered and forced myself to do the whole physio thing. Gotta admit, it's not the thing I want to do when I get out of bed in the morning, and it's really not what I want to do when I go to crash at night, but it's getting done. Hopefully I can continue it for long enough to build it into a habit.

Goal Two - Flexibility and Other Fun Stuff

Acrobatics - 0/100

I may be keeping to my schedule with yoga, but I have done a bit of experimentation in regards to what I can and can't do for the beer yoga. Admittedly it wasn't anything too drastic, but it was far enough outside of the boundaries I'd set for myself to count against me. This one is hard, really hard...

Theft - 0/100

Not been much grip training going on. I've done a couple of sessions, but overall nothing significant.

Goal Three - All About the Food

Alchemy - 1/100

Well, there has been cooking. There was a major freezer defrostation incident, so there had to be cooking. And most of it was even good cooking. I think I've outdone myself with veg this past week, which is always a good thing, and I'm slowly starting to get the hang of this whole fruit as a sugar fix rather than crap as a sugar fix. Sure, the fruit almost always goes into a smoothie, but there are other good and tasty things in there too.

...Should probably start writing stuff down though. I mean, I keep track in my head, but that's only good for a few days, really...

Illusion - 0/100

...well, there were a couple of foodie photos this week, so that's something!

Goal Four - Mind Games

I actually have no idea what to say about this.

But on the flip side, I have been keeping the mind occupied. My daily hour has been well used. I can't remember how far back it was, but one challenge I ended up taking up knitting for some reason or other. The last progress picture I remember posting is of a tiny little thing, this one, actually:

IMGP1699.jpg

All in all, I didn't get a whole lot further than that before forgetting about it for a while. Since the start of this challenge, however...

IMGP1987.jpg?t=1402861234

That thing is longer than my arm now. I think I might actually be halfway done. I think I might actually be able to use it when winter rolls around again.

...and that's pretty much all I have to say for week one of this particular goal.

Onward for week two, I guess. It's looking set to be a better week. Today was pretty good. It was sunny out and I ended up painting the deck. Didn't have to go into work in the end. Tomorrow, though, I get to spend close to a whole day down there... Can't say I'm looking forward to it. Then at some stupid time Wednesday morning I leave for the west coast again and don't come back until this time next week. There's only a slim chance that I'll see any of the remaining housemates during that time, but somehow that still isn't putting a dent in my happiness to be getting away for a while.

• Like 6

Looks like a pretty solid week 1. Out of everything, it looks like you're really sticking with your physio goal, which might be the one you like the least, but is probably the most important for continuing your state of awesomeness well into the future. So yay to that!

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Remember that lasting habits need three things:

habits_550_rev.png

Sounds like you have the cue and the routine, but what's the reward for doing it???  Cuz I know what the reward for NOT doing it is!!!  :playful:

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Remember that lasting habits need three things:

habits_550_rev.png

Sounds like you have the cue and the routine, but what's the reward for doing it???  Cuz I know what the reward for NOT doing it is!!!  :playful:

...that's a really good point. Definitely something I need to figure out, and soon.

• Like 2

I'm still alive and kicking (and a tasty shade of lobster red thanks to the tropical climate over here!). There probably won't be much in the way of updates until Monday evening, but I'll drop in whenever I can. Things have picked up massively even in the short time since coming back here, and I intend to take full advantage before I have to go back to the east coast.

• Like 4

Alright, so things are kind of hectic right now and I haven't had much of a chance for a proper update. It's a good kind of hectic though, and for the most part things are actually going well. Hopefully I'll be able to at least write something brief and catch up with everyone either tomorrow or Friday.

• Like 3

Glad you're busy doing good things!!!  We'll welcome an update when you have a chance ... meanwhile, enjoy!!

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

Sounds like things are going well for you! I'm glad :D

Yeah, just drop by and post an update whenever you can! And keep kicking ass :triumphant:

• Like 1

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Your scarf looks very pretty! And don't worry about being busy, it's kind of a theme right now when I look at everyone's threads. :P 

• Like 2

Ok then! This is going to be briefer than I'd like it to be because of reasons, but it is an update!

...and truth be told, I don't remember any of what I was planning to say. No pictures yet, sadly, because I forgot to transfer them from my phone and won't get hold of the cable until I'm back on the east coast.

Brief run down for goals:

Physical Recovery:

As much as I'm remembering to my physiotherapy, I'm kind of hating it. A lot. I'm not doing too well with being limited, and I'm doing even worse because it's me setting the limits. I'm sticking with it, but the frustration is getting worse. Former injuries are getting a little better, though, so that's something.

Flexibility:

...I want to work on arm balances again :( Managing to keep myself to the other stuff though, and to be honest, I'm not anywhere near as frustrated with this as I am with everything else.

Food:

I'm not sure what to say here. I've been backwards and forwards between coasts for the past couple of weeks, and as a result I've either been living on the remnants of food in my parents cupboards or trying to make £10 last for four days. No pictures, but a surprising success rate. A surprising lack of meat, too, which I do not like because I enjoy meat a great deal, but it's relatively expensive. In the past two weeks, I've only really been able to have it if someone else is buying or if something decent happens to be in the reduced section of the supermarket.

...and yet this is the goal I'm happiest with so far.

Mind Games:

Well, things are going better, if not fantastic. I'm keeping myself occupied, that scarf is now finished and I'm embarking on a second woolly project. My brother has taken it upon himself to teach me how to play Magic: The Gathering, something which I'm actually loving. I haven't gotten into a card game like that since my primary school days when Pokémon was all the rage.

And then there's the marshalling. It's long, long hours (thirteen straight last Saturday...), but it pays and it's a good laugh. Which brings me to why this is so short and why I'm going to be vanishing again for a little while. To begin with, most of today has been spent trying to find out details for tomorrow because somehow I got left off of the email list... As it turns out, I've got a 45 minute minimum drive out there tomorrow, and I'm actually hoping to spend the night in the back of the car, because I can't afford to drive back to Fort William tomorrow night and out again the morning after. So the earliest I'll be back online is probably Monday evening. I plan on sleeping most of the day.

I will catch up with everyone at some point, honest!

• Like 3

...stuff keeps happening. I'm going to keep this very short, and leave you with a picture titled "My car at 10am this morning" to explain why I am not marshalling and am back on the east coast again:

DSC_0110.jpg?t=1403882653

No! I hate car problems! Magic: The Gathering is a lot of fun. I used to play back when I was a kid. Always lost but still fun. Didn't get into Pokémon as much as I was into Magic. ^.^

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines