THE ASSASSINS' DEN (General chat thread)

Nuala

THE ASSASSINS' DEN

The Assassins' Den

Ask questions.  Get support.  Offer accountability. Enhanced with

Parkour Corgis

(parkour, BW strength training)

corgi-tetherball.gif

Circus cats

(circus, juggling, aerial, gymnastic)

tumblr_n5m5csxA6t1rwnxnho1_400.gif

Climbing master sloths!

(bouldering, climbing)

giphy.gif

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Poking my head in to say hey, and to promise that I'm going to try not to be such a lurker this time around. People are fun, I gotta interact more with the people!

• Like 6

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Hi assassins, I'm a scout with a question (I come in peace I promise!).  I'm doing a race in July with an "agility course" at the end -- the only info I have about this is the picture of a little balance beam that is on the website.  Does someone have a good training program for a general agility course (for beginners, clearly)? I do yoga when I can but if you have something for general other skills (again, I've given you all the info I have), I would appreciate some help.  

• Like 2

Train so your heroes become your peers.

Hello Assassins!  Like Kayyoung, I come with questions (and also in peace!).  

I've done my last 3 Challenges with the Monks (who are great), but I've just signed up for a Tough Mudder in October and need to do more body weight and distance work to get ready for it.  I'm considering doing my 4th Challenge with the Assassins for this reason, but I'm still not sure!  Basically I'm just looking for y'alls thoughts on it, and whether you think this would be the best place for me this time around.  For reference, my workouts tend to be fairly evenly split between Monks/Assassins/Warrior type exercises, though this time I would be moving the focus to body weight stuff a little more.  

Thanks, and happy assassining!  (that's a new awesome word I just made up)

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Hi assassins, I'm a scout with a question (I come in peace I promise!).  I'm doing a race in July with an "agility course" at the end -- the only info I have about this is the picture of a little balance beam that is on the website.  Does someone have a good training program for a general agility course (for beginners, clearly)? I do yoga when I can but if you have something for general other skills (again, I've given you all the info I have), I would appreciate some help.  

I don't have links to give you, but if it is a balance beam, your best bet is to just find some curbs and start curb walking for balance. Probably also practice with some one legged stuff, like Warrior II and III.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm going to echo Elastigirl's advice about the curbs and one legged yoga, that'll do wonders for your balance. I'm also going to suggest maybe looking into parkour, at least for the basics, anyway. I'm kind of assuming that an agility course would cover getting over stuff fast alongside the balance-y bits and pieces, and parkour type skills like the lazy vault or side vault might help with that.

Aside from that, not much else I can advise on.

Hello Assassins!  Like Kayyoung, I come with questions (and also in peace!).  

I've done my last 3 Challenges with the Monks (who are great), but I've just signed up for a Tough Mudder in October and need to do more body weight and distance work to get ready for it.  I'm considering doing my 4th Challenge with the Assassins for this reason, but I'm still not sure!  Basically I'm just looking for y'alls thoughts on it, and whether you think this would be the best place for me this time around.  For reference, my workouts tend to be fairly evenly split between Monks/Assassins/Warrior type exercises, though this time I would be moving the focus to body weight stuff a little more.  

Thanks, and happy assassining!  (that's a new awesome word I just made up)

If you want in, we're happy to have you :D

Honestly, it all comes down to where you'd feel most comfortable. Most folks around here are focused on some kind of bodyweight exercise or other, so there's a good support network going on, not to mention a lot of knowledge flying about...

On a personal note, focus on bodyweight exercise is why I've continued to stay with the assassins despite using weights, KBs, and doing regular walking/cycling/distance kind of things.

...and if any of that helped you come to a decision, awesome :)

• Like 3

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Hello you lot! I just finished my Level 1 challenge and I am happy to say that I will be joining this guild to continue working on my flexibility and body weight training. :D

• Like 7

Race: Tiefling

Class: Assassin

[Level: 2STR 3DEX 2 STA 2CON 2WIS 1CHA 2 ]

I don't want to be skinny. I want to be dangerous.

Back again for another challenge! Got my new thread half typed out on my computer at home. Gonna be hours before I can post it -- silly RL job, and all. ;)

• Like 3

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

My challenge is up and ready to go.  /flexes  Owowowow.  Stupid negatives.

• Like 3

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Wooohooo :D

It may be a good place to tell everyone, I actually sent BigM and Staci my "resignation" email. So, starting now-ish, I won't be guild leader or anything any-more. I will definitely stay on NF but don't feel like handling all the background work. When visiting the forums feels like a chore, it's a sign that you should step back!

For the story, I've been Assassin guild leader for 11.5! challenges already, even if for at least two and half it was totally unofficial, the GLs had disappeared, there was obvious work to do, so I just stepped in ^^'

I have to say that I was pretty worried about the reception of my first ever written mini-challenge during challenge #23 but it went well, that was a big relief for me, as I am not confident at all in my English skills!

Then there were the GL's hiring campaign during the challenge #25 where I was selected along with Wolverine and RandomWanderer, the unofficial mini-challenge #2 became official in the middle (Remember the Animal disguise mini? It was one of my favourite :D). It was quite hard to work together because of the time-zones (west side, east side an Europe) but we managed to do a few challenges until RW disappeared for work-related reasons. During the challenge #27 we tried the concept of creative mini-challenges, the challenge #28.... It was a nightmare. Steve published about the mini challenge on his blog and we were definitely not ready for the huge amount of newcomers, it was after this that the level 1 forums were created and that Wolfie had to quit NF because of health problems... I was alone again :(

Challenge #29, I tried the concept of the Most wanted list and some assassins assisted me, for example a certain VengefulPear for the mini challenges story telling and a certain Apfelstrudy as a journalist ;). I won't name everyone, but I can't thank you enough, journalists and spies, who helped me all these challenges, the guild wouldn't be as awesome without you! I love you all! I have to say too that I was really happy of the Most wanted list reception, you all seems to enjoy it, makes all the work totally worth it!

At that time, I was already pondering with the concept of spies/Ambassador but nothing really convincing came out. #30 I added the interviews! And realized that I quite suck at doing them :D 

Fortunately for me, after a lot of whipping and harassing BigM, challenge #31 welcomed our Fruit salad as Guild leaders, Apfel and Pear! I have to say that I was a bit worried at first, having been told that I was doing way too much for the guild (can we even do too much for such an awesome guild? I don't think so!) I was afraid to give them too much work and make them burnouts, but nothing like this! Together we added the first ever Assassin phonebook! And got rid of the creative mini challenges to add the 6 weeks focused challenges. I'm pretty sure these 6 weeks challenges will give us a lot of informations to complete the Assassin library! Apfel and Pear were doing such a good job together that they allowed me to focus on the Level 1 a bit more. With the help of the spies, I could flesh up a bit the Ambassador system and starting this challenge, the level 1 have their own mods, the assassins will still need some ambassadors though ;)

I'm pretty proud to say that the assassin guild is the only guild that have been steadily growing up and even more proud to say that we finally reached my secret goal: See the Assassin's guild becoming the #1 guild:

gallery_7471_925_21086.png

Yay us \o/

So, yeah... 11.5 challenges is a hell of a long time, I've seen a lot of friends leaving and newcomers arriving. But the time I'm spending "working" on NF is time I don't spend looking for work and apparently I need to make money to live? How weird is that! I totally trust Apfel and Pear to keep on the good job and am pretty sure they will invent/add some new features for our pleasure! I won't leave NF, I'll still be around and ready if someone ever need my help to anything.

But that also mean that there will be a free spot as a guild leader, remember it's a lot of work and no pay :D But still, looking back, it's also a lot of fun and having the power to shape the guild to your taste is quite.. satisfying. :)

So, I suppose it's time to find a place to hang my whips... It will be weird not to have them anymore ^^

No I'm not crying! It's just oil leaking, I swear.

• Like 15

Well, if I believe the weather here we're quite in the middle of April showers :D (That we call "Giboulées de Mars" here) so, I wouldn't be late if that was the case!

Just wow, Nuala.  It looks like you have really improved the guild, and on a personal note, I am really glad you recruited me into the Assassins.   So thanks for everything!!!

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

hi assassins!

I finished my level 1 challenge after sustaining an ACL injury and having to rapidly revise my goals on the fly.

and I'm joining up with you all for this challenge even though I'm having surgery 10 days into the challenge to fix my ACL.

but after lurking and meeting you last time around, I heart you all already, and I hope you'll have hobbly me as I repair and recover.

kittyleg

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Wow Nuala!

I just got the guts up to join NF and the assassins were IMMEDIATELY and OBVIOUSLY the most wonderful and perfect guild for me. So - thanks for all you've done, it was super effective, and you should relax and have only fun times here at NF from now on.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Yes, what Lilith said.  Let us cheer you on for challenges at least.

• Like 1

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Hi everyone!

I did 2 challenges with the Adventurers, but I finally feel ready to join my true home: The Assasins.

Have any of you seen Divergent? It's not the best movie, but it hit a personal nerve. The main character has to choose a faction, which will dictate her home, lifestyle, career, etc for the rest of her life. She leaves the peaceful Quaker-like group for Dauntless- the daredevil group of warriors. She's completely wrong for the group, but works her butt off to compete and rise through the ranks.

That's how I feel. The Assasins are not who I am, by any stretch of the imagination. But they represent who I want to become.

• Like 4

Lolavictrola

Amazon Adventurer in Training

STR 1 | STA 12 | DEX 1 | CON 11 | WIS 3 | CHA 16 -- 44 PT Total

My Epic Quest   ::   Current Challenge  

Was just told about this guild by Hazard. so i'll be popping over and following you guys until i can apply to join. I'm a keen climber. I love bouldering, sports and trad. Check over on my first 6 week challenge if you're interested in seeing how i'm doing :)

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines