Kettlebell Addicts Support Group

Greetings!

You've stumbled into the Cross-Guild thread for kettlebells. You'll find our acolytes throughout the site, Warriors, Rangers, Assassins, Monks and more find value in this tool. This space is for those folks to congregate, chat, brag or just relax. 

What we ask of you:

• That you have an interest in using kettlebells as a part of your training
  • If you have experience with kettlebells already, that you support  newer members of the group
  • A civil tongue - kettlebells as small enough community, let's not fracture it.

What you should expect of us:

• Support and knowledge
  • motivation
  • answers to questions

That's great, what's next?

Write a post, introduce yourself, link to your challenge or battlelog. Tell us what kettlebells you are working with, what you currently do and what you'd like to do. Ask some questions, tell us about your accomplishments and just generally chatter.

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

I'll kick it off - I'm The Most Loathed (TML to my homies)

Equipment

I'm better equipped than most on the kettlebell front as  I have the following:

8 kg Perform Better

12 kg X 2 Ader

16 kg Dragon Door

16 kg X 2 Pro Perform Better

24 kg X 2 Dragon Door

24 kg X 2 Pro Valerie Fedorenko

28 kg Dragon Door

28 kg X 2 Pro Valerie Fedorenko

32 kg Ader

40 kg Ader

I have aspirations of grabbing a pair of 32 kg pro bells before the challenge is over

Background

I started training with kettlebells back in about 2005 or so. We had moved to a tiny apartment in Baltimore and I wanted something I could train with at home. I ordered a single 16 kg Dragon Door bell (that I still have) and the book Enter the Kettlebell and started there. Not a long time later I met an RKC and started further integrating kettlebell training with his help. I also bought my first 24 kg Dragon Door. For about five years I lived in Baltimore I trained RKC style, pretty consistently with kettlebells, getting to a multihand switch ten minute snatch test of something like 160 reps.

In 2010 (wow, that long now?) we moved to Minneapolis. By this point I had all the Aders that are still in my collection and trained with kettlebells almost daily. I still hadn't bothered to get any certifications but I trained very much in an RKC style. I met an owner of a local kettlebell gym and trained under him, making huge gains and getting back a lot of mobility that I had lost due to a powerlifting injury. I bought the Dragon Doors in my collection through him and I hit a 10 minute (multi hand switch) snatch test of 216. It was epic. I also bought my first Pro Bells, the 16s and began experimenting with the idea of training to compete. Unfortunately, I can't find another person in my area who is doing the same.

In 2013 I made a decision that I wanted to compete with Kettlebells. I arranged a coaching session in Iowa and met a great guy who sold me my VF bells at an insanely low price. He spent 2 hours helping me improve. I made a commitment to him and myself that I would lift in the WKC Championships in the long cycle in 2014 and I started training for it. In early 2014 I was awaiting the announcement of the October Championships and recovering from an injury I had given myself that fall, trying to work back up to my numbers from last fall. When the announcement came I was shocked, they were breaking up the events and long cycle wouldn't be until 2015. The guy I had coached with suggested that I try out biathlon but but I had been so focused on long cycle I didn't want to change.

In early 2014 I was looking for somewhere to belong, internet-wise. I stumbled across Nerd Fitness. Here I've had great support from everyone I've met and great tutelage under KB Girl. With her help I found the AKA which has quite a few competitions throughout the year. This month I will compete in my first one. 

Aspirations

• I will achieve a rank of CMS in AKA and/or WKC
  • I would like to achieve a rank of MS in AKA and/or WKC
  • My wife has indicated that she would like me to get coaching certified since I appear to be the only person in Minneapolis who is doing this, so that's on the list to start for next year
  • I want to stay uninjured
  • I want to keep up my other training but know that it is secondary to my kettlebell sport training.

Why I started this group

I want...no I need somewhere that I can just chat about this stuff. It keeps me motivated and engaged to have a place to hang out and chat about kettlebells. I don't care you you are using a plastic candy bucket filled with concrete for swings, earned your RKC  or are already an HMS with IUKL, I just want to see, talk to and be around folks who are excited by and interested in this stuff.

If you can be excited by kettlebells, I want you here for all of our benefit.

• Like 2

Battle Log

This is a great idea for a group, thank you for making it!

Hi. I'm Ceasefire. I have limited access to kettlebells, but I'm hoping to start building my 'inventory'. Right now I am only in the possession of a borrowed 12kg competition sized bell. I use kettlebells in my gym training wherever possible. I despise (yet adore) my trainers snatch tests.

I see you're in MN too! This makes things very exciting. =)

Current Challenge Thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/48948-ceasefire-soldier/

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Yipeee, a KB club!

My equipment (can I just say TML, I am super jealous of all your kettlebells)

Baby bells that I started with 10, and 15 lb

20lb

25 lb

30 lb-I can swing and clean with this, but not able to press it yet

experience:

I bought the baby bells and just messed around with it, doing swings and assorted circuits

decided I loved kettlebells, bought Pavel's book Enter The Kettlebell

did the Prime Minimum for a challenge, or maybe two (swings and TGU's)

Did The Right of Passage for a few challenges (clean, presses, swings, TGU's) worked up to a 25lb KB press and 30 lb swings

To keep life interesting, I switch focus every few challenges. For a while a work mainly on Kb stuff, then I focus on gymnastic and bodyweight training. Right now I am just finishing Floor 1 (gymnastic floor stuff) and this challenge I will be doing assorted KB circuit training.

I bought Pavel's Strong and Sinister, which is TGU and swings, and may possibly to that for a workout in the near future.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

can I just say TML, I am super jealous of all your kettlebells..

which is TGU and swings, and may possibly to that for a workout in the near future.

It's a little disturbing to realize how many I have and that I really need about four more to have the training tools I need for the next couple years. That said, I spent less that two years of gym membership fees on all of them and some are coming up on ten years old at this point.

I'm a stickler for a TGU. Kettlebell culture has put them in the lime light as a great exercise but I don't think most people do them correctly or really think about why they're doing them. I hope you'll be willing to share yours and let us talk about it a bit. I'll try and do the same.

Battle Log

What a great idea TML! There is nothing I love more in the world than talking about kettlebell lifting. It even beats actually lifting them, cause that can just be painful sometimes, haha. 

So ehm introduction; Got involved with kettlebells in 2010 when the sport just started taking it's first steps in the netherlands. Participated in the national championship in 2012, got second place and fell in love. 2013 I got that first place and now i'm looking for more competition internationally. Meanwhile I try to do my bit to grow the sport; i'm a certified coach, train a good group of people and organized my first competition last week! 

I've mainly trained longcycle for a year now and decided last week that it is about time I get back to the snatch. It's a bigger challenge because it's more technical and much more frustrating.. but I feel ready ;)

So goals for 2014:

• get good 24kg longcycle numbers (>100 reps)
  • snatch 16kg for 10 minutes, >160 reps.

Oh and my thread is here; http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/49029-kb-girl-is-an-athlete/

I bought Pavel's Strong and Sinister, which is TGU and swings, and may possibly to that for a workout in the near future.

Ahhh I still don't do TGU's Elastigirl :( You'll have to forgive me. Maybe i'll play around with them some this challenge.

• My wife has indicated that she would like me to get coaching certified since I appear to be the only person in Minneapolis who is doing this, so that's on the list to start for next year

Any ideas which certification you want to go for?

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I've mainly trained longcycle for a year now and decided last week that it is about time I get back to the snatch. It's a bigger challenge because it's more technical and much more frustrating.. but I feel ready ;)

I've recently thought similar. I may not do very much Long Cycle work in July but play with Biathalon. My snatch technique is poor enough though that I do tend to tear calluses and I hate that. I can do 30ish per hand with 24 kg before they tear. I only tried 16 kg once and got o 70 without a tear. Undoubtedly, the jerk practice would be good for me.

Any ideas which certification you want to go for?

I'll start simple, AKA/IUKL level 1 cert

A gift for my kettlebell addicts. Meet my dear, dear friends 24, 20 and 16. I painted 24 and 16 about five years ago. I've only known 20 for a year or two.

20140604 203451

• Like 1

Battle Log

If you're going to train snatch for competition you'll want to start really light and get at least 160 reps before you move on to the next weight.. otherwise you'll be stuck under 100ish for the rest of your life like all other people who use too heavy bells for snatch ;)

That is what i kinda love about snatch. Every fit person can do 30 to 40 per hand with a decent weight, but if you want to go beyond that then you'll need really good technique! 

Level 1 AKA/IUKL seems like a good plan! No idea who does/teaches those certs.. do you know?

TGU's are frustrating for me. I want to get better at them, but after a few I just seem to run out of energy. Is this an issue of endurance or maybe my form is just...bad. -_-

In terms of certifications, aren't some of them only available in certain cities? I was excited for a while when I learned that I could do a cert here in MN, but my trainer advised me against it, especially this early on with my kettlebell 'training'. (I use that term loosely, as I need more practice with strictly kettlebells...) Some of the requirements seemed out of my grasp too - like only being able to make 3 mistakes in the snatch test before you get disqualified?

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I will video myself doing TGU's. I love them. I love the slowness of them, and how I have to think about every move. And for some reason, they just make feel feel so strong, like I can do anything :) Not sure how my form is, I've never had anyone critique it before, so hopefully I can get some feedback.

Is longcycle a clean and jerk? Maybe I need to try that. I've pretty much given up on learning the snatch, until I can have someone in person train me for it. Are there any good video tutorials for the longcycle?

Right now I am still working on the GMB workouts, so I am just doing some fun Kettlebell stuff. Yesterday I worked on some skill moves; Around the World, Figure 8 and hand to hand switch swings. And another idea I saw on a video, which was to throw your kettlebell as far as you can. Throwing the KB was fun, but since it tore a big hole in the grass, that will not be repeated :playful: 

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

TGU's are frustrating for me. I want to get better at them, but after a few I just seem to run out of energy. Is this an issue of endurance or maybe my form is just...bad. -_-

...certifications...

TGUs tend to burn everyone out after a few. I tend to question any number of reps over five. It's a long, slow, focused movement

Certifications are sometimes limited to where they can get enough folks together to pay the cost of flying the trainers in. You can get RKC certs all over but the sport certifications are limited to half a dozen to a dozen location in the US. Fortunately the often do them in same places that one might compete. So you can lift one day and do a certification the following day. KB Girl would know better than I but I don't believe that the sport certs tend to have the grueling tests in them that the RKC one is known for.

I will video myself doing TGU's. I love them. I love the slowness of them, and how I have to think about every move.

Is longcycle a clean and jerk? Maybe I need to try that. I've pretty much given up on learning the snatch, until I can have someone in person train me for it. Are there any good video tutorials for the longcycle?

Right now I am still working on the GMB workouts, so I am just doing some fun Kettlebell stuff. Yesterday I worked on some skill moves; Around the World, Figure 8 and hand to hand switch swings. And another idea I saw on a video, which was to throw your kettlebell as far as you can.

TGUs - it sounds like you have your head right for TGUs so I'm sure your form is pretty good

longcycles - yep, clean and jerk. Ladies get to do them with one kettlebell *sigh*. I would ask KB Girl if there are good training videos, possibly of the Dutch national champion.

juggling - those movements are tons of fun and plenty of work. I've done the kettlebell throw, it is fun. I usually train at home and don't feel like destroying my yard. If I walk over to the park, heck yeah.

Battle Log

Right now I am still working on the GMB workouts, so I am just doing some fun Kettlebell stuff. Yesterday I worked on some skill moves; Around the World, Figure 8 and hand to hand switch swings. And another idea I saw on a video, which was to throw your kettlebell as far as you can. Throwing the KB was fun, but since it tore a big hole in the grass, that will not be repeated :playful: 

Yea longcycle is clean and jerk. You could also do a longcycle with a push press I guess, because jerk can also be hard to learn. 

Too bad you've given up on the snatch! Maybe pick it up again after you've worked on cleans for a while, because they're really the same movement. 

I've been looking for videos, but no luck yet- maybe i'm too critical. Just pick one and start somewhere I guess. As long as you get a sports version.

Are you throwing the kb over your head or just forward in a sort of hip swing? /curious

Certifications are sometimes limited to where they can get enough folks together to pay the cost of flying the trainers in. You can get RKC certs all over but the sport certifications are limited to half a dozen to a dozen location in the US. Fortunately the often do them in same places that one might compete. So you can lift one day and do a certification the following day. KB Girl would know better than I but I don't believe that the sport certs tend to have the grueling tests in them that the RKC one is known for.

It depends, most certs are just 1 day or weekend things. Most don't test you. It's all still in it's infancy, the kettlebell sport organizations. Well Russians have been at it for a while but they are terrible at organizing anything.. Here in the Netherlands a good group of people is trying to legitimize the sport and have set up a good cert program which is multiple weeks and has both a physical test (able to show good technique) and a teaching test where you have to teach both a group class and coach one person over a period of 4 weeks. It was reasonably hard, very doable. 

In the US... personally I would go with anything from the ice chamber kettlebell girls team. They know what they're doing- are very supportive (they sponsored my local mini competition, bless them) and they produce great athletes with excellent technique. 

I haven't heard a lot of good things about Rudnev, i'm sorry :( 

Yea longcycle is clean and jerk. You could also do a longcycle with a push press I guess, because jerk can also be hard to learn. 

Too bad you've given up on the snatch! Maybe pick it up again after you've worked on cleans for a while, because they're really the same movement. 

I've been looking for videos, but no luck yet- maybe i'm too critical. Just pick one and start somewhere I guess. As long as you get a sports version.

Giving it up was too dramatic a word :) Last time I focused on my Kb work, I focused a bunch on trying to learn the jerk, and I really don't think it is worth my time right now. I might try the jerk, might be a good idea to try and do the long cycle with the push press. I was frustrated with the snatch, and felt like so much of my time was spent trying to figure out the move, that I wasn't building the endurance I wanted. The push press is a move I can do, and maybe just doing it for time will allow me to build that stamina from not setting the KB down.

• Like 1

Skype for form checks! :tongue:

I have a few years of experience but only recently in the past year started to build my own collection. I'd like to have KB's in kg sizes to be more consistent with training but being on a budget I make do with what I can buy on Amazon. Having prime, I've bought a pair of 30 lbs and a pair of 20's for the fiancee. Anything bigger is still in the budget and I need to actually go to my gym to use the 40's and 50's. Luckily the lady has fallen for the KB's as well so it will be easy to make an excuse to buy more when the time comes.

I love/hate TGU's with a passion.They are my mortal nemesis/love interest.  Snatches are life. I used to be really on top of some juggling but in the past 6 months I've fallen off the wagon and really only been doing occasional workouts.

I'm excited to get more into it again. I feel like since I've only got one friend who really does them and doesn't laugh at them with scorn (Yeah. Those people who never ever pick them up but say they couldn't possibly be a workout. Get out.), that I'm kinda behind on a lot of knowledge. I still have yet to read a lot of Pavel's stuff. Lots of catching up to do!

Moralitea, Level 2 Flind Assassin
{STR 3|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 4WIS 2|CHA 2}

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Previous Challenges: 1,

...Snatches are life. ....

I'm excited to get more into it again. I feel like since I've only got one friend who really does them and doesn't laugh at them with scorn 

Welcome to the group.

I'm glad to see that we now have representation from the pro, anti and indifferent camps regarding snatches. I'd say that is a quorum. 

I used to do a lot of snatches but it was at the price of tearing calluses. I still like them but I find myself doing fewer. I need to shore up my technique enough some time so I can stop with the tears.

There are people in the world who turn their noses up at kettlebells? huh. shows how sheltered I am I guess.

Battle Log

Welcome to the group.

I'm glad to see that we now have representation from the pro, anti and indifferent camps regarding snatches. I'd say that is a quorum. 

I used to do a lot of snatches but it was at the price of tearing calluses. I still like them but I find myself doing fewer. I need to shore up my technique enough some time so I can stop with the tears.

There are people in the world who turn their noses up at kettlebells? huh. shows how sheltered I am I guess.

I tend to do just the 30's for my snatches at home and 35 @ the gym. If I go above a 40 I start really feeling the pulling on the skin since they don't provide chalk. I know it sounds like a wuss since I'm not doing even 23kg snatches, but I figure it's a slow movement upwards.

I could tell you horror stories of having to track down people doing farmer's walks with the KB's instead of regular weights because the handle made it easier....This was when the gym only had about 6 total. Those conversations were not fun. "Hi, I need those for a specific exercise. Do you know when you'll be done?" does not go over well.

Moralitea, Level 2 Flind Assassin
{STR 3|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 4WIS 2|CHA 2}

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Previous Challenges: 1,

I could tell you horror stories of having to track down people doing farmer's walks with the KB's instead of regular weights because the handle made it easier....This was when the gym only had about 6 total. Those conversations were not fun. "Hi, I need those for a specific exercise. Do you know when you'll be done?" does not go over well.

I assume it's the same conversation I used to have when I wanted to do actual squats in the squat rack.People hate to quit their curls.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Do you guys mind if I follow along with this thread without officially joining the group? As a kettlebell beginner I'm super interested in reading what you guys have to say, and I might have the occasional question, but it's just a fun thing for me right now and not a main goal or my biggest priority for this challenge.

Bagelyo!

Challenge!

Fitocracy!

Runkeeper!

Level 3 Assassin-y Hobbit

STR 5 DEX 3 STA 2 CON 4 WIS 3 CHA 1