Kayoung: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

That (that, that, that) that don't kill me, can only make me stronger -- if Kanye said, it's gotta be true, right? I'm running a 3.2.1 race on July 13 and will need to improve multiple things to make that happen.  What is a 3.2.1 race, you ask? Well I can't fully answer that because I really don't understand what the numbers stand for. Here's what I know: there are three parts to the race: yoga strength session, 2 mile run, and an agility/obstacle course.  So three is the number of parts, 2 is the number of miles, and 1 because i have to do the whole thing by myself? Yup, I still don't know what 3.2.1. stands for.  Anyway, it's in a vineyard and there's wine tasting after so totes worth it.  The extra challenge is that my bff is running it with me and the last time we did something this ambitious (a mud run), she had to keep running back to get me and convincing me not to walk (it's a long story).  This time, I want to not slow her down so much, or at least not get embarrassed by how slow/bad I am at the other parts.  

So here's the Kanye-themed plan:

Main Goal: 

Complete 3.2.1. race without embarrassing myself

Steps to accomplishing that goal:

1. Run at least twice a week: one short/speedy, one medium distance (can't lose all my distance before my sept half, though these might get changed to speed/agility closer to the 3.2.1.)

2. Strength train at least twice -- one must be a full nerd academy workout -- and do one wildcard workout every week (could be power yoga, spinning, an extra strength, an extra run...) -- lots of planks will be done during this challenge

3. Eat the fruit/veggies in my csa share every week: I get a box of veggies and a dozen eggs every summer week from my community-supported-agriculture share (I pay in advance and subsidize some of the costs of farming, it's local and organic and sustainable and all that jazz) and starting next week, I will also get some fruit.  So I need to eat these things both to get my money's worth and also to be super healthy. Plus, I want to order meat from the local, grass-fed, organic, sustainable, yada yada yada farm every week as well.  If I have all that good food, I won't have room for any junk, right??

Life Goal:

Wake up early!!! My life is so much more productive when I get up on time (and when I don't spend 30 minutes of my morning typing up a challenge post, but that's neither here nor there).  I have a lot of things I want to change about my productivity but I think this is a good first step.  With more useful hours in the day, I can get more done! I want to be OUT OF BED (not awake and checking twitter in bed) by 7 am each weekday morning of the challenge.  This legitimately might be the hardest part of this challenge.  I also will try much harder to get in bed by 11 to make the 7 wake-up easier.

In summary:

Harder: eating good fruits, veggies, eggs, and meat will make my body harder -- less susceptible to bad things like illnesses, gluten contamination, temptation to eat junk, etc.

Better: waking up early will make my whole day better!

Faster: running workouts will hopefully make me faster

Stronger: strength workouts!

Points allocation

I forgot to divvy up points ahead of time last time so I'm not going to forget this time! 15 points total = 5 DEX for running, 5 STR for other workouts (I may change this if my extra workouts tend to be DEX or STA), 2 CON for veggies, and 3 CHA for waking up early (because if I get stuff done I will be less stressed out, making it easier to be around be)

Running and strength grade will be determined by total number of workouts: 

Running: perfect would be two workouts times six weeks so twelve runs

A: 10-12

B: 7-9

C: 6-8

D: 4-6

F: under 4

Strength/Wildcard: perfect would be three workouts times six weeks so eighteen workouts

A: 15-18

B: 11-14

C: 7-10

D: 3-6

F: under 3

Veggies: I want to leave myself a little wiggle room on this given that I will be out of town some and there are a LOT of veggies in those shares, Also it doesn't just depend on me, the boy needs to eat some too to really finish off a box per week.  So I'm gonna say a "perfect" week is 80% or more eaten, and the rest given away somehow.  I'll judge this by number of weeks (Bonus points for ordering/eating the meat every week too)

A: 5-6

B: 4

C: 3

D: 2

F: one or none

Waking up early: Again, a little wiggle room is needed here in case I'm sick or have to stay up super late for something.  I'm going to say a "perfect week" is at least 4 days out of bed by 7 am (again this goal is only for weekdays)

A: 5-6

B: 4

C: 3

D: 2

F: one or none

Work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger!! 

for inspiration

(No, this is not a dated theme at all, Kanye is always relevant)

Train so your heroes become your peers.

Here I was expecting a Daft Punk theme, silly me I guess. :P As to the race, I think your plan is probably good for what you've described. Some strength, mostly running, stay healthy.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Me too, Shukar! Anyway Kayoung, the goals look great and your race sounds like it will be a blast. Running, yoga, and wine? Yes please!!

Maybe for the obstacle course you could play at a park or school playground nearby, just trying to get used to moving between different equipment, balancing, etc? Plus it would be fun!

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Me too, Shukar! Anyway Kayoung, the goals look great and your race sounds like it will be a blast. Running, yoga, and wine? Yes please!!

Pizza, you forgot the pizza and the chocolate.

Great goals btw

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.

Good theme, simple goals. Can't argue with that.

I've got the daft punk version in my running mix. It's a good, kicky one. And a Kanye track too, but not that one. Why am I telling you this?

*goes to bed*

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Good theme, simple goals. Can't argue with that.

I've got the daft punk version in my running mix. It's a good, kicky one. And a Kanye track too, but not that one. Why am I telling you this?

*goes to bed*

I always welcome playlist sharing! 

Anyways....week 1 is starting slow.  After a long weekend with the family, I felt sick yesterday so stayed in bed until late (thus requiring me to get up early the rest of the work week) and got no work or workout done.  Then I got two new assignments, both due soon....so I don't have plans to workout today.  I did wake up extra early though.  I had planned to do mini-challenges each week but this week's might just have to be to put extra hours in at work to get back up to speed.  Pass the coffee?

Sorry to disappoint you guys, I find the Kanye version better for working out :)

What? Wh---OH, THEMEESSSS! I gets it. Pretty creative, if I may say so!

BUT ANYWHALES! GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU GET THERE! (Fast like a butterfly, sting like a beeeeeeeeee)

Class and Profession: Rangers
Background: 25 year old Nerdling. Here to kick some health......butt?? I need to work on that.

Current Challenge: Hani Gets Back On The Health Choo-Choo

I always welcome playlist sharing! 

Anyways....week 1 is starting slow.  After a long weekend with the family, I felt sick yesterday so stayed in bed until late (thus requiring me to get up early the rest of the work week) and got no work or workout done.  Then I got two new assignments, both due soon....so I don't have plans to workout today.  I did wake up extra early though.  I had planned to do mini-challenges each week but this week's might just have to be to put extra hours in at work to get back up to speed.  Pass the coffee?

Take care of yourself and get strong so that you can do great things.  Getting enough sleep is hard -- I had to change a lot of little habits to make time for the right amount of sleep.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Ok, first official update -- week 1, update #1: did the NA warmup and the bodyweight level 2 workout.  Added 1:30 planks to each set.  I was very proud of myself because I did 2 1/2 sets of the inverse rows on the 6th rung which is the most I've done on that level.  Then I did 10 minutes uphill on the treadmill (bonus: got to see some of jeopardy).  I was going to do some back bends after that but got a text that said "are you on your way?" which meant that my workout had run over and I had to quickly stretch then leave.  

I have failed the last two days at getting up early, but yesterday it was because I had to stay up until 1 am working :(  

PS: I'm accepting tips for training for an "agility/obstacle course" -- I really have no idea what that means, though the picture on the race website looks like a little balance beam.  So really anything is helpful :)

I did a Tough Mudder last year and found that basic bodyweight stuff (pushups, pullups, planks etc.) were the best pre-training, though none of the obstacles were super hard.

• Like 1

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

For my own future reference: I'm posting this http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Balance-Workout-at-Home-Balance-Training-Exercises/7k/ -- I might do some of these to prep for the agility portion.  Plus it looks like sprints, side shuffles, backwards sprints, ladder drills, etc., are what people do to train for both speed and agility.  Two in one bonus!

Edit: more resources http://www.power-systems.com/pdf/30682-IndoorLadderRevB102007.pdf

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/tp/AgilityDrills.htm

http://joyfitnessandstyle.com/2013/03/18/indoor-agility-drill/

http://www.workoutz.com/category/speed_and_agility_exercises

Week 1, Update #2: did some agility exercises inside due to too much humidity and too little time.  I did two minutes of out-out-in-in (made my own "ladder" out of two pairs of shoes -- this was my dog's favorite exercise as she kept trying to steal the shoes as I was doing it), a minute of grapevine, a minute of side shuffle, a minute of sprint forward, jog backwards, a minute of high knees, a minute of side to side jumps (both legs), and a minute of butt kicks (There's gotta be a name for that) -- I was COVERED in sweat at that point (I did rest in between sets, but just long enough to get my breath).  Then I did the first link above, but only once through and substituted a two minute plank for the plank extensions that they discuss -- gotta win my PvP!!

I also made a garlic scape/dill pesto last night and brined some chicken to put on it.  Then I sauteed some bok choy for a lovely, though intensely, garlic-y meal

Whew, I did that Avengers workout that some of you scouts have been discussing and it was hard! I did three sets but had a really hard time with the third set.  Then I did a 2:30 plank.  Mind over matter!

Last night, I made a delicious dinner -- grass-fed steaks, marinated beforehand in olive oil and spices; csa collard greens with bacon and csa scallions; brown rice (good ole uncle bens -- the least local/sustainable dish); and gluten free biscuits to eat my homemade rhubarb and apple jam

Week 1 breakdown: I ain't saying she a golddigger...

So this week saw me doing a lot of work ('golddigging', though not in the same sense as the song).  I stayed up until 1 am one night to finish up an assignment (partially due to distractedness) and tried to catch up on my work in all areas this week.  That meant two things: I failed on the runs and I failed on getting up early, once that 1 am bedtime happened.  However, I am giving myself a pass on the runs since my toes are still pretty bruised.  I did two two strength workouts, the NA bodyweight and the Avengers workout; I also did a wildcard workout, with the speed and agility inside training.  I am pretty sure I ate/gave away all my csa veggies from last week -- I threw away some veggies but I think they were from two weeks ago and I did some creative stuff with the veggies that were still good so I'm calling that a win. 

Harder: check

Better: fail

Faster: pass

Stronger: check

PS: I also did a LOT of cleaning this week so I'm patting myself on the back for that :)  My whole apt is clean (its a studio so easier but was in a state of complete disarray about five hours ago) and the boy's apartment is getting a lot better, little by little.  I signed up for the fly lady emails about seeing a pvp from last year about her missions and am going to work on those this week.

Week 2 productivity challenge -- working on the brain! I'm going to do three things this week which I feel will help my productivity during the day: 1) work for 50 minutes at a time, not getting distracted by personal emails or social media (must use one of those sites that blocks the other sites probably). 2) do my lumosity training and five minutes of meditation on calm.com each week day 3) take four active brain pills a day - 2 in the morning and 2 before I leave work.  I need to snap out of my daily routine of foggy brain, and doing everything but what I'm supposed to be doing

Week 2, update #1: pretty tired today so I did a mini-strength routine.  10 pushups, 10 tricep dips, and some version of a plank -- times three.  The first plank was three minutes for the pvp challenge but poor form so I'm not sure it counted.  Second plank was just :30. Third set was :30 on each side. That was harder than I thought it would be! Now to look for a new/different workout to complete for the mini-challenge...

Update on the productivity challenge: I'm really bad at meditating, or even focusing one thing (my breathe or the music or the pretty waves on the screen) at one time.  I kept thinking about other things or, really meta, how I was thinking about other things while I was supposed to be meditating.  Will keep working on this.

Thanks Nightside!

Life goal update: I'm going to have to figure out a different goal.  If I go to bed after 11, it really doesn't make sense to wake up at 7 since my body needs to extra sleep and I won't be as productive without it.  Perhaps I will TRY to get in bed by 11 and only sleep 8 hours? It is hard to set the bedtime in stone since I frequently have more work than I can do in a typical work day.  I will ponder, but if anyone has suggestions I will take them :)

Ok I'm beginning to think I have alienated most of you by making my Kanye theme!

Week 2, update #2: left work early to let the pups out but then the boy offered to do it so I snuck a workout in at my gym before a few social events tonight. I did the nerd academy body weight workout but modified it a few different ways so ill go set by set:

Set 1: 10 inverted rows on level 6 (the hardest I can go), 10 inverted rows on level 7, 10 lunges, 10 closed grip push-ups, 10 step ups with 17.5 lb weights in both hands, :15 plank, :30 jump roping (I am very bad at jump rope)

Set 2: (remembered what the workout was actually supposed to be): 8 inverted rows on 6, 12 inverted rows on 7, 10 lunges, 10 close grip push-ups, 10 hip bridges, 10 reverse crunches with legs out (there's a real name for that but I've forgotten), :30 jump rope (getting better even in set two!)

Set 3: 5 inverted rows on 6, 10 on 7, 5 on 8, 10 lunges, 10 CG PU, 10 hip bridges, 10 reverse thingies, :30 jump rope (only messed up once!)

Plank: :30 recorded then 3 whole minutes with better form than last time!

Little additional legs (since my arms and abs got some additional love): 10 single leg releves, 10 double releves, repeat

Then walked 5 minutes at 3.5 speed an 6.0 incline. Now stretching it out. Owww I'm gonna feel this tomorrow!

A 3 minute plank?! Amazing!!

What if instead of setting a specific bedtime/wake up/etc you start keeping a sleep journal - how long you slept, when, how you felt, did you wake over night, etc. A few weeks of that might help you make a really informed sleep goal going forward.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Hey Kayoung! While I was down in the L1 forum I met Workcait and I thought you guys would really get along because you’re both working on eating more fruits and veggies this challenge, and Workcait is working up to a 10K distance race! When you get a few minutes you should go catch up on this thread by clicking here and saying some encouraging words! Remember, it really means a lot to the newer rebels when we take time to check in on them :)

• Like 1

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines