• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Juni0r83

Junior83 attempts to only bite off as much as he can chew...

Okay, so, I'm going to do a very extensive awesome write up, but I haven't gotten it done yet. So this is just a place holder. Woot, new challenge is up!

kermit-arm-flail-1392075955.gif

• Like 5

Okay, so my theme this challenge is Starship troopers (the novel, not the films), and although my goals really have very little to do with Starship Troopers or the mobile infantry, I like the book enough that I've basically just used quotes to support my various goals. And seeing as I've failed in my last three challenges to really feel like I've achieved anything, I've decided to pick a more realistic goal, which I probably should have done to begin with in hindsight, but:

“the trouble with 'lessons from history' is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins.â€

1338343037548.gif

The Mobile Infantry Experience Goal One – Achieve Weightlessness

“Can you think of anything sillier than being fired out of a spaceship with nothing but mayhem and sudden death at the other end?â€

Setting aside that the only way a mobile infantryman experiences weightlessness is when he is rocketing towards the surface of a planet in a thin metal capsule, it is still to this day one of the things that have inspired my fascination with the novel. So...

Perform a hold at the top of a pull-up negative (10 second minimum, 30 second stretch)

In order to get there, undergo MI training as per standard recruit training procedures.

Walk/Run three times a week

It's winter here now, so this won't be as easy as it seems, but, drawing on my theme for inspiration -

“...though weather is important while it happens it seems to me to be pretty dull to look back on. You can take descriptions of most any sort of weather out of an almanac and stick them in just anywhere; they'll probably fit.â€

Strength train three times a week

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.â€

Well, I guess that means I'm going to need to be able to apply some real force, and that means that I'm going to have to build up some strength. So, continue with my three days a week strength training regime. I'll probably alter it in increments as time goes by, and my needs evolve, but for now, I think its best if I just stick with what’s working for me.

Lose 6kg by eating right

I can't find a good quote about this, but its still a good idea. I'll post my initial weigh in on Monday, and of course the goal will be to weigh 6kg less by the end, which should hopefully put in me in the mid 120's (depending on my starting point I guess).

Life Goal

Creative Writing

Okay, it's been my life goal for the last three challenges, and so far I've done absolutely nothing with it. It's time to actually sit down and write something. But I'm setting my targets low, just 3000 words a week. Doesn't matter what I write, so long as I write something. And although I don't have a starship troopers quote for it, but I do have a Heinlein quote. “Writing isn't necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwardsâ€

And that's that I suppose. Hope you all enjoy following on with my journey as much as I enjoy following on with everyone elses.

• Like 4

I miss the Muppets.  Has anyone seen the new movie? 

Yes I have and I liked it a lot! Especially the first song! 

Okay, I didn't read your post (sorry about that), because I wanted to ask beforehand, does it contain spoilers related to Starship Troopers, because it's in my "To-Read" List.

Yea .... Heinlein!!

What are you doing for strength training?

And writing .... can you set aside time every day to write? Even if it is for 15 minutes.  You gotta make it a habit.  

Okay, so my theme this challenge is Starship troopers (the novel, not the films), and although my goals really have very little to do with Starship Troopers or the mobile infantry, I like the book enough that I've basically just used quotes to support my various goals. And seeing as I've failed in my last three challenges to really feel like I've achieved anything, I've decided to pick a more realistic goal, which I probably should have done to begin with in hindsight, but:

“the trouble with 'lessons from history' is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins.â€

1338343037548.gif

The Mobile Infantry Experience Goal One – Achieve Weightlessness

“Can you think of anything sillier than being fired out of a spaceship with nothing but mayhem and sudden death at the other end?â€

Setting aside that the only way a mobile infantryman experiences weightlessness is when he is rocketing towards the surface of a planet in a thin metal capsule, it is still to this day one of the things that have inspired my fascination with the novel. So...

Perform a hold at the top of a pull-up negative (10 second minimum, 30 second stretch)

In order to get there, undergo MI training as per standard recruit training procedures.

Walk/Run three times a week

It's winter here now, so this won't be as easy as it seems, but, drawing on my theme for inspiration -

“...though weather is important while it happens it seems to me to be pretty dull to look back on. You can take descriptions of most any sort of weather out of an almanac and stick them in just anywhere; they'll probably fit.â€

Strength train three times a week

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.â€

Well, I guess that means I'm going to need to be able to apply some real force, and that means that I'm going to have to build up some strength. So, continue with my three days a week strength training regime. I'll probably alter it in increments as time goes by, and my needs evolve, but for now, I think its best if I just stick with what’s working for me.

Lose 6kg by eating right

I can't find a good quote about this, but its still a good idea. I'll post my initial weigh in on Monday, and of course the goal will be to weigh 6kg less by the end, which should hopefully put in me in the mid 120's (depending on my starting point I guess).

Life Goal

Creative Writing

Okay, it's been my life goal for the last three challenges, and so far I've done absolutely nothing with it. It's time to actually sit down and write something. But I'm setting my targets low, just 3000 words a week. Doesn't matter what I write, so long as I write something. And although I don't have a starship troopers quote for it, but I do have a Heinlein quote. “Writing isn't necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwardsâ€

And that's that I suppose. Hope you all enjoy following on with my journey as much as I enjoy following on with everyone elses.

Hey!

So how's your training going?

• Like 1

It's only just occured to me that I haven't been following my own thread. I'll have to rectify that. I'll get an update posted soon, then respond to everyone's comments as soon as I get time.

• Like 1

Okay, so I’m off to a bad start, seeing as it’s Thursday, and I’m only just making my first post. I’ll try and improve on that through the challenge, but I’m not making any promises.

Day 1

My day was filled with clearing out my office. At some point it managed to become so cluttered with stuff thrown on the floor that it was actually impossible to set foot in the room. That fixed now at least, even if the job isn’t finished yet (still have the desks and bookshelves left to fix up).

Task 1: Walk/Run three times a week

Although today was supposed to be strength training, I went for a walk instead, so that’s one thing I can check off my list for the week at least

Task 2: Strength Train three times a week

As I said, I was supposed to do this Monday, but got distracted with the cleaning and tidying, and the generally being lazy because it was a public holiday and I didn’t want to ruin it by working hard.

Task 3: lose 6kg

Starting weight is in, and its official, the last two weeks suck.

134.2kg.

So my aim is 128.2kg, which at least seems generally achievable from where I’m sitting right now, but check back at the end of the week, I may be already cursing this goal by then.

More on this one, I ate bad foods, and generally didn’t really pay any attention to it. So hopefully I can improve on that and go for the win.

Life Goal: Write 3000 words per week

Nothing yet, but this weekend I should be able to produce some decent word counts. And that gives me until then to figure out exactly what it is that I’m going to write.

Day 2

So my wife and I have actually started doing something about renovating the house we’ve been living in for 3 years now. Well, at least we’ve started to figure out exactly how much it’s going to cost. And I spent most of day two running around to different shops pricing various things that we would like. Now all I have to do is magically produce a second (and possibly even a third) income to pay for it all.

Nothing on this one today, and as I walked yesterday, that’s not exactly a problem for this goal

Also nothing on this one, and there really should have been. Sometimes I can be really lazy. Going to have to get moving on this one or I’ll miss it completely.

Task 3: Lose 6kg

I ate a little better for day 2, consuming a green smoothie with added oatmeal to fend off hunger pangs for breakfast, a salad for lunch with a piece of fruit, but I caved and had takeaway for dinner. So, progress, even if not all the way successful yet. I’ll get there I’m sure.

Still nothing, and still not entirely sure what it is I want to write. It’s actually beginning to damage my calm a little. I’ll have to give it some more thought.

Day 2

I was back at work for the first time in a fortnight today. I wasn’t sick or anything, or even on holiday, it’s just a quirk of working 12-hour shifts and only being paid for a 38-hour week. Anyway, that meant getting up way earlier than I consider to be reasonable, dragging myself into work, and sitting at a desk for 12 hours. And it wasn’t even a good day, everything went wrong, and I ended up spending most of my day in a holding pattern waiting to do work while a computer system got repaired following a power failure. Anyway, the evening wasn’t much better; lack of sleep and general lethargy took hold and resulted in me wasting my evening as well.

No progress on this, so just the one result so far this week on this target. I’m thinking week 1 isn’t going to look good. And I was so excited to get started as well. Such a shame.

I actually think if I had done this last night, I would have felt much better, not just about myself, but in general, better rested, and not quite so bound up. But no, I had to waste my evening didn’t I. I swear I’ll get to this before the end of the week. Two sessions before the end of the week would be considered a success from this point, which is at least an attainable goal.

I drank another green smoothie for breakfast, and it was good. But my lunch was a bit of a flop, and I couldn’t eat it, so I scraped together the few dollars I had in my pocket and bought a meat pie to have for lunch. Dinner was about as expected, steak, and it really was worth slogging through the day for. No dessert for once, which is a step in the right direction I think, but only if I can continue to avoid the temptation, or find a healthy alternative.

Still no idea what I’m going to do here. I’m really struggling with the starting part of this goal. I figure once I get a basic plot line down on paper, I shouldn’t have much of a problem. But until I can wrap my head around that, I don’t know that I’ll manage to do much on this for week 1.

Anyway, that’s my week so far. Sorry there aren’t any Heinlein references, but I really just wanted to get something posted before I let it get too far away from me.

• Like 1

tl:dr?

I have performed poorly this week so far, and hope to recover in the dying moments of week one to scrape out something that could pass for acceptable.

Okay, I didn't read your post (sorry about that), because I wanted to ask beforehand, does it contain spoilers related to Starship Troopers, because it's in my "To-Read" List.

It doesn't yet... But my plan is to work through the novel in segments and relate it back to goals. But definitely pick up a copy and read it!

Yea .... Heinlein!!

What are you doing for strength training?

And writing .... can you set aside time every day to write? Even if it is for 15 minutes. You gotta make it a habit.

My strength training basically amounts to a modified bbww, removing the circuit element, and the jumping jacks. Instead of dumbbell rows I do body weight rows, and I add pull up negatives to train specifically to achieve my goals. I'm also considering adding in progression towards handstand push-ups, but so long as my current program continues to challenge me I'm not sure I'll make too many changes.

As for writing, I've done the whole half hour a day thing before, and the years I participated in NaNoWriMo I certainly learnt to put something down on paper every day, but for me sitting and writing 6 to 12 thousand words in a sitting is not beyond the realm of possibility, in just can't guarantee that any of it will be worth reading.

Hey!

So how's your training going?

Not well, not well at all. But there is still hope, there is always hope.

Yay! Heinlein! Sci-fi book themed challenges!

I once threatened to smack a fellow writer in the face with a fish for not writing.  The first time I ever met her, I brought her a plushy catfish named Papa Heinlein.  Heinlein was a beast of a writer.  Do I need to smack you in the face with a fish, Junior?

• Like 1

Yay! Heinlein! Sci-fi book themed challenges!

I once threatened to smack a fellow writer in the face with a fish for not writing. The first time I ever met her, I brought her a plushy catfish named Papa Heinlein. Heinlein was a beast of a writer. Do I need to smack you in the face with a fish, Junior?

No, no fish required just yet. But it always seems to be the way that I have a million and one ideas, then as soon as I want to write, they all abandon me or fall apart. But I promise I'll get something written before the week is out.

Just do free writing or a character bio or something. Just get words on paper (or screen as is most often the case these days) even if they''re terrible. Dare to be bad. The only way you get better is to write more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hey, just a tip on the writing part. I don't know if it'll work out for you, but it works pretty well for me.

Until I can figure out a proper plot line, I just keep writing whatever that comes into my mind. I try to write at least 500 words each day, and I do that with whatever that comes into my mind, even if it's worse than my standard one essays. It's like demos, you know. After a while, a plot emerges from the rubbish, with which I can work. It's sometimes frustrating, but, like I said... it works out for me.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Hey, just a tip on the writing part. I don't know if it'll work out for you, but it works pretty well for me.

Until I can figure out a proper plot line, I just keep writing whatever that comes into my mind. I try to write at least 500 words each day, and I do that with whatever that comes into my mind, even if it's worse than my standard one essays. It's like demos, you know. After a while, a plot emerges from the rubbish, with which I can work. It's sometimes frustrating, but, like I said... it works out for me.

Good Luck.

I do quite the same, especially when I have a deadline.  The important thing is to write ..... and don't edit while you are writing!!

• Like 1

Time for another multiday update, because apparently I’m still not organised enough to make 10 minutes to write out a new update each day yet. But at least I got to it after only 2 missed days instead of 3 this time around. But, on with the update, I’m sure you’ve all got much better things to do that sit here and read my excuses.

Day 4

I’m still not really getting anywhere with my goals. Week 1 is really not going well, but it’s my own fault, and I should really get to kicking my own ass to get something going. So yeah, my day 4 consisted of getting home from work after my second shift back, eating food, and sitting in front of the tv. Really feels pretty much entirely wasted.

Yep, nothing new to report here. And the week is quickly running out.

Also nothing new to report here. I’ve dropped the ball, and I just hope I can recover from the fumble before the opposition claims possession (don’t ask me how I managed to make a coherent sporting analogy, it was entirely a fluke I assure you).

I’m beginning to notice a trend with my eating. Getting a healthy breakfast in, especially with the green smoothie option, is really easy, and requires very little discipline. But getting a healthy lunch in is much, much harder, even when it’s prepared and ready for me. I just don’t feel any real desire to eat it, and instead choose to chase down something entirely bad for me. And dinner was terrible because nothing was ready when I finished work, so we had takeaway so I didn’t have to wait (I finish at 7, so if we cooked, especially what we planned to have, it would be very late by the time I got something to eat, and I’m not a fan of that).

Okay, here is something I can say something constructive about. I was struck with inspiration. And like always, I was struck multiple times in a row. Ideas came flooding, and all of a sudden I have some ideas about what to write. So I’m hoping to get some plotting done tomorrow, and then get to writing over the weekend. This stage is always so exciting. I love new ideas, even when they’re terrible, they’re fun to think about.

Day 5

So, Friday was much change over day from dayshifts to nightshifts, so I was kind of all over the place. Plus I had to fast for a scan I need to have done due to some health issues I’ve been having on and off for the last few months. Anyway, I ended up missing my appointment for a number of reasons, and had to rebook, so I fasted for no reason, which is just typical of my life at the moment. Then came the inexorable lead up to my first nightshift of the week. I’m really thinking that I could do with a new job, because I’m sure you’re not supposed to dread going to work as much as I do.

PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!! I walked for an hour and half while at work today, so I can officially click this one up to 2/3 for the week so far, and there are still two days left, so I’m hopeful I’ll get there (thank god)

I was thinking I should get to this today, but I really wasn’t feeling motivated. Hopefully when I get up Saturday afternoon, I’ll be all set to knock out a good workout and actually start to feel like I’m making some progress.

The eating started off pretty rough, because after fasting all morning, then missing my appointment, it was the middle of the afternoon and I was starving, so I caved and had takeaway (I really eat way too much of that stuff if you haven’t caught on already). But everything after that was golden. A dinner of Mango Chilli Chicken from a paleo recipe book my wife and I use regularly, and a green smoothie for my lunch at work. All in all, not too shabby, especially when compared to how I’ve been going so far in the week. If I can stick with it, I should get there by the end of the challenge, even if it does take me a few weeks to get in the swing of things.

With how crazy my day ended up being, not plotting happened, but even if I just get a few scenes written down tomorrow before I head off to work, I’ll have something I can start fleshing out. And really, as soon as I start to write, more ideas for the concepts I’ve got brewing should start to flow, and that will lead to even more stuff I can write. So there is hope for me yet, and there will be no fish slapping going on in this thread!

Okay, so you may notice the continued lack of Heinlein quotes, but I know how I’m going to manage that now. When it comes to the weekly wrap up, I’ll put all my references in there, and it should progress through the story as I start to see success. By the end with any luck I’ll be jumping around in a marauder suit and blasting bugs into slime!

• Like 2