Kobnach Defeats Depression

Main Quest: Outlast my Current Depression

I've accumulated too much stress in my life, and wound up with a depression relapse. So I'm taking a break from my usual style of quest to focus on dealing with the depression. I know it will pass - my goal is to avoid feeding it, which includes maintaining the basics of a healthy lifestyle.

Missions:

1. Walking: Average at least 7000 steps per day, as measured by my (unfortunately somewhat unreliable) Basis Band  - 4 STA

2. Food: Average at least 5 servings of fruit and/or vegetables per day - 4 CON

3. Positive Thinking: Write up what's gone right about my day, without listing negatives, every day, preferably publically (e.g. my battle log, or this thread). - 4 WIS

Life Quest: 3 points - I'll name the stat when I refind the list of stats available ;-)

Test out approaches to dealing with depression, e.g. free floating my sleep schedule vs fixed non-varying routine. Report results.

This includes resuming my past habit of making a weekly tabulation of a number of relevant factors in my battle log, not limited to just the 3 missions - and attempting to report results.

[Edit: Scoring - strictly numerical. for the main missions - if I'm 25% below the goal, I lose 25% of the potential points. This may be considered a bit too generous, for those based on averages... it's better designed for goals that count each day individually, using % of days on target ... but I'm using averages for missions 1 and 2 to smooth out expected/allowed fluctuations. For life quest, I think it'll be one point per approach researched and written up. And for the first 2 missions, I *may* decide on a minimum that doesn't count, e.g. the first 2000 steps are subtracted from target and achievement before doing the % calculation]

• Like 7

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 16 | CON 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 6

Current Challenge  Battle Log   Past: 5 4 3 2 1 0.1

Hey and welcome!  For my depression, it sounds crazy but doing a whole 30 really seemed to almost cure it.  I had an even level of energy throughout the day after a couple of weeks passed and  things didn't seem to get stuck in my head and dwell.

Also for depression, I did this:

20140524_125236_zpsh9bup4ho.jpg

It's a collage of encouraging things people have said to me on here over the past year. When I feel like I'm in a slump I just look at that. I think, "How can I let these people down? They're all so awesome and believe in me. I should believe in me."

Which pretty much translates into:

watermarked_cover-6-copy.jpg

You can do it.

Do you have a way to grade your goals? Like if you get 3/5 for veggies is that a B+ or something?   Some people have daily points but I find that too much of a hassle so I give myself a letter grade per week and then average it.
  • Like 7

Hey and welcome!  For my depression, it sounds crazy but doing a whole 30 really seemed to almost cure it.  I had an even level of energy throughout the day after a couple of weeks passed and  things didn't seem to get stuck in my head and dwell.

[snip]

You can do it.

Do you have a way to grade your goals? Like if you get 3/5 for veggies is that a B+ or something?   Some people have daily points but I find that too much of a hassle so I give myself a letter grade per week and then average it.

I love the collage idea.

I'm tempted to try a modified whole 30 - with emphasis on avoidance of sugary carbs. I'm 99% certain my body can eat brown rice and oatmeal happily, and small quantities of dairy, so why cut them out and make it hard to eat with other people? One more thing for the experimentation goal.

I need to think about grading - typically I've done something like total/goal * number of points available. E.g. If I average 4.5 veggies per day (as I did last time) I get 4.5/5 * 4 = 36/40 = 3.6 => 3.5 con. Then I fuzz it based on overall feel - if most of those veggies were low quality (juice, potatoes, etc) or the average decreased over time, round down. Or if I figure getting 2/day is trivial, then instead of 4.5/5 * 4 it's (4.5-2)/(5-2) * 4 = 2.5/3 = 5/6 * 4. = 20/6 = 3 1/3 points => 3 con.

• Like 1

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Well I never thought I had a problem with some of the stuff that they want you to cut out.   The whole point is that it is a detox. After the 30 days, you can slowly reintroduce one type of thing at a time and see if there are any adverse affects.

For example, my mom couldn't close one of her hands for close to 8 months when she first woke up.  She did a whole 30 and it was fixed in about 2 weeks.  She went back to having some peanuts, beans, etc and BAM, hand froze up again. She never would have thought that. she originally just said she wanted to get rid of sugar, but there's a lot of weird chemical combinations in food that can have odd effects- hence the rigidity.

Ultimately you can do whatever you want; just don't think that you don't have a problem with a certain item until you test it to be 100% sure.  I used to drink 2 gallons of milk a week. Guess what?  I'm actually pretty lactose-intolerant but I never EVER would have guessed that because I didn't have any adverse affects when I was drinking that much of it.  Once I stopped with all the dairy, detoxed, and then came back- WOW. Big difference.

Hrmmm, whatever works for you with the math. 

I tried a roughly 3-2-1 rule before and it held up.  3 servings of veggy to 2 servings of meat, and 1 serving of fruit and 1 healthy fat (like cooking with olive oil or cashews or avocado).  Having the rough 3-2-1 idea in my head helped.

• Like 2

I'll be here...I know you can do this

• Like 1

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Good strategy on your goals - you've really focused in on the big ones.

Curious to hear what you discover with sleep routines.

You've got this!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Saw you in the Renaissance Rebel group and came over here to offer my support.

--Annie :)

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

subbed! i also have depressions, mostly in winter, and think your goals are good to get out of the funk! dont hesitate to ask if you need anything! ive survived my last depression with lovely people here. go forth and kick @ss!!! :) 

• Like 1

Be careful with your third mission. From my experience, sometimes when you are posting things in public, you tend to present a proper image about yourself, and not necessarily a truly image. What I do is to keep a private journal on which I have to be ABSOLUTELY sincere, and later I post in public what I've written there. If I add or omit something, I am completely aware of what I'm doing and I can stop lying to myself. But I need to do this because I am my worst enemy, maybe (I hope) your situation is different from mine. Best of luck anyway.

• Like 3

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

Be careful with your third mission. From my experience, sometimes when you are posting things in public, you tend to present a proper image about yourself, and not necessarily a truly image. What I do is to keep a private journal on which I have to be ABSOLUTELY sincere, and later I post in public what I've written there. If I add or omit something, I am completely aware of what I'm doing and I can stop lying to myself. But I need to do this because I am my worst enemy, maybe (I hope) your situation is different from mine. Best of luck anyway.

In this case, somewhat paradoxically, I actually want to put my best image forward, to counteract the tendency to see only the bad.

So suppose I have a day where I walk 8000 steps, but consume only 4 servings of vegetables. When depressed, I summarize this as "I suck - failed my vegetable goal". The mission is to force myself to focus on the good part. Even if the good part is a lot smaller than in this example, where I exceeded one goal by almost as much as I missed the other.

In the same way, 4/5 isn't perfect, but it's way better than 0/5 - but when I'm depressed, my emotions don't want to believe that. 4/5 becomes FAIL!!!! in big flashing red letters - and that kind of self talk just deepens the depression.

My battle log will have the gory details, good and bad, mostly as a table of numbers. So no real delusion. Just selective focus.

• Like 4

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Today I:

- survived a half day meeting + social event I'd been dreading, and without committing any career limiting moves ;-)

- ate at least 4/5 vegetables + some of the servings were large enough I should probably count 5

- managed 7440 steps in spite of getting home exhausted, by sitting and playing WoW until I felt better, and then successfully prying myself out of WoW

- reinstated organized tabulations in my battle log, adding additional things that may be relevant to depression control.

- found time to read and sometimes respond to almost half of what's on my nerdfitness watch list

- limited myself to 2 caffeinated beverages, 2 biscotti, and 3 small candies in spite of the stressful day

- am about to do the hamstring stretch that's still on my extended daily list, though not part of the upcoming challenge

- wrote the above!

• Like 9

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Today I:

- survived a half day meeting + social event I'd been dreading, and without committing any career limiting moves ;-)

- ate at least 4/5 vegetables + some of the servings were large enough I should probably count 5

- managed 7440 steps in spite of getting home exhausted, by sitting and playing WoW until I felt better, and then successfully prying myself out of WoW

- reinstated organized tabulations in my battle log, adding additional things that may be relevant to depression control.

- found time to read and sometimes respond to almost half of what's on my nerdfitness watch list

- limited myself to 2 caffeinated beverages, 2 biscotti, and 3 small candies in spite of the stressful day

- am about to do the hamstring stretch that's still on my extended daily list, though not part of the upcoming challenge

- wrote the above!

A successful day - you did a lot!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Great start! I've found what I eat does affect my mood in general quite a bit. Best of luck to you in finding the combination of foods and activities that work for you. Keep up the positive thinking :)

• Like 1

Lady Feowyn Miread of Eldavar

You have no idea what you're capable of, you didn't create you.

Megathirio Discord- https://discord.gg/kr2YCJM   

You can do this :) I think your goals are great, and I am sure that I wont be the only one to say that I have been there too, and you can always keep going forward as long you are alive, no matter how many steps backward end up occurring :):)

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Today's the first day of the challenge, the way I'm counting it - I want to do my final tabulation on a weekend, so the last day can't be Sunday.

Today I had a nice relaxing day with minimal stress. I got the dog to the vet in the morning, where they had loads of fun trying to measure his blood pressure. Not an emergency visit; just checking up on him. I caught up on email reading - not quite on replies - and enjoyed two social phone calls with family. Both dogs got their morning walk, and I got myself out of my chair to take an additional 1 mile walk later in the day while it was still sunny. Due to some miracle, I woke without an alarm clock and wanted to get out of bed, even though it was only 8 AM - and this after going to bed at 0:20. I got started on the heap of unprocessed paper mail. And when my housemate (somewhat exhausted) had a bit of a melt down I managed to solve the precipitating problem without making her feel worse. Caffeine and chocolate stayed within their non-challenge limits. I did my non-challenge daily hamstring stretch.  AND I wrote up this positive look at the day.

• Like 9

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Great start. You've done perfect with vegetables! For curiosity, what are you reading?

I'm currently rereading David Weber's _Honor Harrington_ series; it's a kind of comfort food series for me. I'm also pecking away at a MOOC about India, and perhaps the assigned readings also count as what I'm reading.

• Like 2

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Today's the first day of the challenge, the way I'm counting it - I want to do my final tabulation on a weekend, so the last day can't be Sunday.

Today I had a nice relaxing day with minimal stress. I got the dog to the vet in the morning, where they had loads of fun trying to measure his blood pressure. Not an emergency visit; just checking up on him. I caught up on email reading - not quite on replies - and enjoyed two social phone calls with family. Both dogs got their morning walk, and I got myself out of my chair to take an additional 1 mile walk later in the day while it was still sunny. Due to some miracle, I woke without an alarm clock and wanted to get out of bed, even though it was only 8 AM - and this after going to bed at 0:20. I got started on the heap of unprocessed paper mail. And when my housemate (somewhat exhausted) had a bit of a melt down I managed to solve the precipitating problem without making her feel worse. Caffeine and chocolate stayed within their non-challenge limits. I did my non-challenge daily hamstring stretch.  AND I wrote up this positive look at the day.

Sounds like a really good day - yay!

I'm currently rereading David Weber's _Honor Harrington_ series; it's a kind of comfort food series for me. I'm also pecking away at a MOOC about India, and perhaps the assigned readings also count as what I'm reading.

I just started reading the same! New to it and enjoying it a lot.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I prefer starting on Sundays, too. It seems that Sundays are less stressful and you can control better your daily avatars. It's a good thing that the vet visit has been only for checking up on your dog. Great day, keep it on!

I didn't know the saga, but it sounds enjoyable. I've asked because I love books and I'm very curious about the other's readings.

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

You're off to a great start!

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines