Kobnach Defeats Depression

Presently 92% asleep and trying to get myself mentally in gear for work. Yesterday was wipe-your-face-with-a-towel hot (35.8 degrees C) and weather forecasters are disagreeing about whether today will be the same.

Not a very successful weekend in terms of walking or vegetables, not even Saturday (without the heat for an excuse) and yesterday I didn't even manage a positive post. (This one doesn't count for today either.)

But all the essentials were handled. I have clean clothes. The dogs have a fresh bag of food. I have groceries, and 3 days of delivery meals pre-scheduled (part of my secret to veggies in spite of depression ;-)). If I'd managed to sleep an hour earlier, I'd be pretty happy with the weekend overall. Or if I'd been able to sleep in an extra hour, but that's not feasible.

It's now time to shower and take the dogs for what will probably be a rather brief walk (due to heat). or perhaps reverse these, and make it a very cold shower after braving the hot outdoors.

Apologies to everyone whose thread I'm not caught up with - 118 unread notifications from threads I've subscribed to, and only got through 36 this AM.

• Like 4

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 16 | CON 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 6

Current Challenge  Battle Log   Past: 5 4 3 2 1 0.1

Got the same thing going on the threads! Wow! We can only do what we can do...

Don't know where you live, but i can relate on walking in the heat! IT makes it much less appealing to go outdoors, even when we know we need the sunshine to repel the black dog.

Good luck the rest of your day!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Apologies to everyone whose thread I'm not caught up with - 118 unread notifications from threads I've subscribed to, and only got through 36 this AM.

You don't have to read and respond to my thread... (love it when you do, but we are in 2 groups together so to my way of thinking is enough interaction)   I limit myself to 15 threads per challenge.  Doesn't make me crazy, and it doesn't let me follow everyone's thread but its easier to manage.

• Like 3

What Beaucastle said, you worry about updating here and what you respond to, you respond to. Im swamped with threads myself so I dont get caught up with everyone as much as I would like to either.

• Like 2

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Yesterday I:

- caught up on one of my MOOCs, successfully completing it on time

- made some progress on my second MOOC - not enough for full marks, but I'm happy if I get to the material

- other good things I've already mentioned

Today I:

- did a decent job at work in spite of meetings, tiredness, heat, and grouchiness

- walked 6569/7000 steps so far

- did a fair amount of that walking in daylight, and some during lunch hour, getting plenty of sun

- consumed 3/5 fruits and/or veggies so far.

- made more progress with the second MOOC

- wrote this positive post

p.s. MOOC == Massively Open Online Course. e.g. www.coursera.org or www.edx.org

• Like 4

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Sounds like you're doing great!

• Like 1

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Aar! The CutLasses be spending their ill-gotten coin (courtesy o' alienjenn) around the threads n' ye have been chosen.

TheCutLasses-treasure_zps93cc7a43.png

tmnt.jpg

Because Mutant Ninja Turtles are Tough Dudes - and so are you!

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Today I:

- somehow managed to finish today the work task that was due at the end of day tomorrow, in spite of needing to clean up after someone else's mistake on top of my own task

- managed to get 2 of my other tasks accomplished - by delegation! (one of them to the guy I had to clean up after - win some, lost some ;-))

- net result - the somewhat risky schedule for the next 2 weeks we made Friday past is looking rather less risky. Woot!

- tried out the new hammock on the 4th floor deck at work, getting sun, relaxation, fresh air, and fun. I'd have stayed in it longer, but didn't have sun block on, and didn't think I needed a sunburn ;-)

- accomplished 6662/7000 steps by 6:37 PM (i.e. right now)

-am about to consume a Korean vegetable bibimbap - tasty and at least 2 servings of veggies

-walked to lunch, for extra sun (but only 1 serving of veggies; usually I can do better at a Chinese restaurant, but not this time).

- made this positive post

• Like 4

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

This morning I:

- had somewhat of a meltdown, ranting at dog and housemate

- then half an hour later I found out why - I'd forgotten to take my anti-depressant. (Thank heavens for setting out the daily pills in advance, so I know what I have or haven't taken)

- I felt much better by the time I got to work, once the pill had time to take effect.

- and I made it to work on time in spite of all this "fun" ;-)

Nonetheless, that was quite enough untamed canine for me, thank you very much.

• Like 2

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Well done on achieving so many positives, and double well done on picking up again after the meltdown and not letting it ruin your day!

• Like 2

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

hi there!  just stopping by to say hi!

I will try to stop by once a week - 

love your goals...and, that once a day positive...I'm doing that as a once a day 'joy'....though I may have to do your focus next time.  I totally get how I can focus on the negative...I only ate ONE carrot...though I did everything else right!

You've got this!

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Good job not letting the morning incident ruin your whole day. :) Doing great so far!

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Today I:

- finished all my walking before I even got home from work!

- spent time in the sun, walking to lunch and then taking a walk a bit later when things got stressful at work

- finished my Thursday project on Wedn, keeping the 1 day ahead from before - in spite of encountering more breakage, some of it from the same guy as last time

- coped with the latest in bad news about mom, and office chaos

- managed to write this positive post

- look likely to get to bed by 11 PM

- gained a level or 2 on WoW ;-)

- read a lot of email, without catching up ;-)

- didn't go berserk with chocolate or ice cream, in spite of the day

• Like 4

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Yay you sound so much more positive!

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

Walking in the sun is lovely.  Good for you too.  Helps your body produce (I am going to say..) Vitamin D and feel good whatsits.

M x

• Like 2

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

Yay you sound so much more positive!

Some of it is just discipline. I'm not feeling as positive as I look when I determinedly leave the bad stuff out. Mornings can be particularly horrid - groggy, tea not yet ready, dogs barking madly, and my pill not yet absorbed. It doesn't help that I seem to be spontaneously starting in on out of the blue negative thoughts about myself. *sigh* Sometimes biochemistry is king, like it or not - and I don't like it.

More bad news about my mom yesterday - not unexpected, but now it's happened. I *think* most of my "terrible office stress" yesterday was really bad news stress. I certainly hope so, because I want this job to stay good, and how much trouble can one passive aggressive coworker with delusions of team leadership and a habit of sloppy work *really* create ?!?!

And while I'm wallowing in negativity - I've missed my veggie goal every single day this week. I have a total of 13 veggies in 5 days, back to my old level of 2.5/day. With a fridge full of fruit.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Write positive affirmations with a marker on the bathroom mirror.  Say them aloud.  Start the day telling yourself.. good things about you.  Repeat these affirmations in your head over and over ...

I'm sorry about your mom.   Keep an eye on the co worker.. but focus on what you love about the job.

have a veggie snack to up your count. 

Hold on to that happy... cuddle it close like a favorite cherished bear.  *cheering for you*

• Like 6

Did you mention how do you take account from walking? Time? Steps? Distance?

And... ouch! I am so sorry about your mom. I hope this is not as bad as it seems in your post.

By the way, the WoW thing has been so funny, ha ha.

• Like 1

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

Getting in veggies has never been my strong suit - I'll eat fruit much more than veggies, although I'm working on adding vegetables to lunch, dinner and even snacks.  Dried and sea salted can kinda substitute for chips .... if I squint.

Fighting the biochemistry is tough.  Are you getting enough sunshine?

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Write positive affirmations with a marker on the bathroom mirror.  Say them aloud.  Start the day telling yourself.. good things about you.  Repeat these affirmations in your head over and over ...

I'm sorry about your mom.   Keep an eye on the co worker.. but focus on what you love about the job.

have a veggie snack to up your count. 

Hold on to that happy... cuddle it close like a favorite cherished bear.  *cheering for you*

Good idea. I ate 2 packages of dried mangoes this afternoon, when what i really wanted was chocolate. (Yes, I accept fruit as part of the "veggie" goal.)

Did you mention how do you take account from walking? Time? Steps? Distance?

And... ouch! I am so sorry about your mom. I hope this is not as bad as it seems in your post.

By the way, the WoW thing has been so funny, ha ha.

I didn't realize quite how bad I'd made it sound. She's not dead yet, nor even on her deathbed. It's just that she's decided not to accept radiation treatment. It never could do more than slow the thing down, and it wasn't guaranteed to do that. And it's not only sure to give unpleasant side effects - it's got a reasonable risk of diminishing her lung capacity still farther, which means she'd be on oxygen 24 hours a day - which she hates. She'll be on oxygen eventually anyway - if the treatment doesn't reduce her lung capacity, the cancer will - unless she dies faster than anyone expects. (Her lung capacity was already borderline, pre-cancer, and she sleeps with oxygen.)

It's just somehow this hit me hard, probably because it hit my "stopping trying" button. But also because it somehow makes everything seem much more imminent.

As for measuring walking, I use a somewhat unreliable Basis Band - think of it as a FitBit competitor. It has extras like measuring heartbeat, unlike the FitBit - but their website spends lots of time down, and sometimes the gadget fails to record my activities. Today it ran its battery down to almost nothing - FitBit batteries last much longer between charges. But it does the job.

Getting in veggies has never been my strong suit - I'll eat fruit much more than veggies, although I'm working on adding vegetables to lunch, dinner and even snacks.  Dried and sea salted can kinda substitute for chips .... if I squint.

Fighting the biochemistry is tough.  Are you getting enough sunshine?

Fortunately I'm accepting fruit or veggie, so that part's OK. When I start getting up to 7 or 8 fruit and/or veggies per day, I'll start thinking about quality, and not be quite so generous in allowing fruit, potatoes, and juices. But for now I'm just happy that I'm going to hit 5 today - beets, random veggies in tabouli, 2 * dried mangoes, and carrots+water chestnuts in a frozen dinner.

Sunshine I'm not sure, mostly because I don't know what I need, but I think so. I walk the dog in the morning, then walk to my train. Some days I get out at lunch - this one I ate on the 4th floor deck at work . And in summer at least I'm walking to my train home while there's still plenty of daylight. Wearing sunglasses may not be helping, but I've been told somewhat emphatically by my eye doctor to protect my eyes from sun.

• Like 4

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

In other fitness related news, I'm now without a toenail on my left big toe. The podiatrist decided the best way to fix the problems I'd been having with the nail was to remove it and grow a new one. (I was growing layered toe nails, where the incoming nail failed to push the old nail forward, and instead went underneath.) He said no activity restrictions - just be aware of how it feels - but right now it feels sore, so the 4100 steps I've done so far today will be about all I attempt. (I'd have walked less than that, but the podiatrist appointment made me miss my train, so I drove, and wound up parking 10 minutes walk from work.)

This is all to the good - I'm sick of low grade discomfort and intermittent inflammation, and I'm sure my body is even sicker of it than I am. Now hopefully it will heal up right.

He also looked at my other toes, and diagnosed a fungus infection on 4 of them. So now I have lots of fun medications to apply to my toes, and am supposed to get something to spray into my shoes. With a little luck this will stop the right big toe's nail from breaking in the middle regularly.

It will be nice to have a complete absence of low grade nagging discomfort. And my expectation is that the left toe will be perfectly comfortable unless bashed within a day or two, except perhaps when washing and re-bandaging it. It's sore now, but nowhere near as bad as what I consider an unremarkable headache. So basically I can ignore it, just as I'd been doing with the prior (even lesser, but chronic) discomfort, and it just takes up a little bit of stamina/energy/enthusiasm.

I'm not sure if this counts as a positive post, but I feel positive.

- left toe on the road to healing

- right toe diagnosed and treatable

- 5 veggies

- almost 2 miles walked in spite of the foot

- and presently enough enthusiasm to get some household tasks accomplished, rather than just vegging with novel and/or Wow.

• Like 8

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Overall it sounds like a positive post. And you'll feel better without all the low grade infections wearing down your immune system.

• Like 2

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines