C25K & Zombies, Run! Champions

Welcome back, Rebels!

As before, this group has unlimited membership and is open to all guilds. I'd especially like to encourage L1 Rebels who are interested to join up with us and make some friends.

This group focuses on improving running endurance or pace using a C25K program or any other kind of app like Zombies, Run! - I've also heard tale of apps that match your pace with music!

Please make sure to let us know how you're doing with your app (staying on schedule? Setting new Personal Records?) so we can be here to encourage and support one another. And don't be skimpy on the high-fives when someone else hits a milestone! :)

Alright, rebels. Let's get to running!

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Woot woot! 

So I have a question for everyone: Has anybody gotten pushback from their doctor about running? I had an appointment this morning and when I mentioned my upcoming 5k she was like "Well that's good, but running's really hard on your kness. I always suggest people find some other kind of exercise to do like swimming or cycling." It threw me off a little and I'm also slightly pissed. Whee!

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I'm in.

I'm on week 2 of the C25K program; using RunDouble. I really like how RunDouble allows me to get statistics on my pace, interval etc. It motivates me.

Woot woot! 

So I have a question for everyone: Has anybody gotten pushback from their doctor about running? I had an appointment this morning and when I mentioned my upcoming 5k she was like "Well that's good, but running's really hard on your kness. I always suggest people find some other kind of exercise to do like swimming or cycling." It threw me off a little and I'm also slightly pissed. Whee!

My doc was happy with me running.

6 week: Auro on the road to getting fit

battle log: Auro Back in Black

Challenge history: #1 #2

My doctor was super jazzed about me exercising and eating better and losing weight. No complaints from him about the running.

I kind of feel like the dislike of running is a personal issue rather than real medical advice. I wonder how many doctors tell their patients not to play football due to risk of head injury or ride in cars due to risk of crash or parent a 3 year old due to risk of high blood pressure.

• Like 2

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Second C25K session coming tonight....bring on the pain! lol

• Like 1

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Woot woot! 

Well, it depends on the ground you are running on too.

And if you are reeeeaally overweight, you really should run because of so much weight to damage your knees.

A asphalt way is harder for the knee than the earthy way in a park or wood. Don't let yourself be discouraged.

Start small and see how you feel.

BTT: COUNT ME IN!

I'm doing Zombies,run C25k for this challenge.

I read it mixes in you music, but I don't really have music that I think appropiate for running.

Is the mixing-in just in the real app or in the C25k also?

Any suggestions where to get running appropriate music from or how many bpm (beats per minute) one shall aim for?

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

Checking in!

Last challenge I finished C25K according to time, that is, I ran 30 minutes - but I am not running at 10min/mi so I still haven't run 5 actual km without walking. I've gone back to week 6 and am using the distance option - so I just ran 2.25 mi and have ahead of me 3 runs of 2.5 and then 3 runs of 2.75 miles, and then hopefully I can do 3. My goal this challenge is to scale the running back to a place where I still can do other stuff with my legs, so I won't be going out three times a week every week - and my knee is still recovering from whatever pulling/straining I did to it last challenge. It's feeling better every day so hopefully I can get back to it soon!

Bagelyo!

Challenge!

Fitocracy!

Runkeeper!

Level 3 Assassin-y Hobbit

STR 5 DEX 3 STA 2 CON 4 WIS 3 CHA 1

My doctor was super jazzed about me exercising and eating better and losing weight. No complaints from him about the running.

I kind of feel like the dislike of running is a personal issue rather than real medical advice. I wonder how many doctors tell their patients not to play football due to risk of head injury or ride in cars due to risk of crash or parent a 3 year old due to risk of high blood pressure.

Or how many people are told not to play soccer or basketball because of all the running involved? Probably not many. Meh.

And if you are reeeeaally overweight, you really should run because of so much weight to damage your knees.

A asphalt way is harder for the knee than the earthy way in a park or wood. Don't let yourself be discouraged.

I read it mixes in you music, but I don't really have music that I think appropiate for running.

Any suggestions where to get running appropriate music from or how many bpm (beats per minute) one shall aim for?

I'm not super overweight and she didn't even ask where I was running etc. I think we just don't see eye to eye.

I haven't used Zombies, but you can probably Google running playlists. I think I've seen some on runners world.com

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

The ZR5K app actually plays over your playlist because it has to play the clips a certain time apart, so it can't wait for between songs. I have no rhythm so the BPM doesn't really matter to me, I just have a playlist of a mix of long and short songs, all upbeat. The length difference seems to help, though. I WILL suggest you not try to do any missions without music because it makes the time between clips (and therefore between intervals) seem muuuuuuuuuuuch longer.

What kind of phone do you have, apple or android? On Apple I'm not sure which playlists it can read, but on Android it can't seen Google Play playlists. I had to made one in the normal "Music" app in my phone for it to see the playlist. I think it can also see playlists on Winamp.

This part of the set-up is a little time-consuming but I promise it's worth it.

Checking in!

Last challenge I finished C25K according to time, that is, I ran 30 minutes - but I am not running at 10min/mi so I still haven't run 5 actual km without walking. I've gone back to week 6 and am using the distance option - so I just ran 2.25 mi and have ahead of me 3 runs of 2.5 and then 3 runs of 2.75 miles, and then hopefully I can do 3. My goal this challenge is to scale the running back to a place where I still can do other stuff with my legs, so I won't be going out three times a week every week - and my knee is still recovering from whatever pulling/straining I did to it last challenge. It's feeling better every day so hopefully I can get back to it soon!

That sounds like a really smart continued training plan. Please let us know when you hit  those milestones :) I'm excited for you to see that 5K mark!

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Welcome Kareesh and Nightside! So glad to have you both.

Today was W5D2 of ZR5K and I met my goal for this week - I ran two straight miles! It took me 28 minutes buuuuuut ... I'm okay with that. In week 1 I want even running 1/4 miles at a time so this is a great improvement.

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

For bpm and music, go on jog.fm website, you can choose songs by min/mile or bpm

Than search through results and make playlists with you own music from that

I made a 123bpm, 128bpm and 138 bpm.

There is also an app

And another one called cruise control, althought i am not sure its compatible with zombie run

• Like 1

Level 7 Yogini green witch

STR 3 - DEX 3 - STA 10 - CON 12 - WIS 13 - CHA 6

Previous challenges : 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6|| 7 || || 9 || 10 || 11

Current challenge : august 2020

Mantra : I am calm, I am love

I am in!

I am currently doing Zombies Run, 5k, W5D3 (that will be happening this arvo).  I am signed up for a charity fun run on the 29th June.  That should be perfectly timed for me finishing the 5k training.

I was running on the treadmill but the last couple of weeks my little sister has decided to join me so we are running outside in a wooded area, which is lovely but much harder than the gym!!

As already mentioned it does mute down the music for the instructions and story.  Personally I love my music playing in between, but that is only when I work out alone.  When I run with my sister I set it to not play the music so that we can chat (her request, not mine!  I am anti-social. :nevreness: ).  I have just one headphone in to listen along to the instructions.  

I've never been a runner, but I know that there are a ton of health benefits for it, so for this challenge, I'm going to work on the C25K. I'll be starting Monday to coincide with the challenge. 

My hardest part is going to be getting up early and getting the guts up to go outside and jog where people can see me. Eep!

I totally feel you!  I think it is a very common thing that puts so many people off of jogging.  I started in the gym and then moved to outside.  I currently run around a lovely lake and there are quite a lot of dog walkers, fishermen and the occasional after dinner walker on a Sunday, all of them are friendly and some make friendly jokes.  If you have a routine you meet the same people a lot and that is nice too.  I promise after a few weeks you won't be self-conscious any more and it is so worth it.

But please be safe.  If you are out alone make sure you don't run in any dodgy areas.  Remember water if it is hot (and if it is not).  Mind the traffic.  Be careful of having music turned up and being so into your run that you aren't mindful of other people.

That is your local safety announcement for the day!   :redface-new:

M x

• Like 2

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

I use an android phone because I don't like the police of Apple (workerwise and guarantywise)

Thanks Edigo, I think I will use that site and make a new playlist/put new songs on my phone. Maybe something rock related... I usually listen to goth or so and there to the more narrative songs... not ideal for running. But maybe dark electro or ebm will work fine....

I have to get this fixed till monday... don't want to bother with issues in the morning AND when starting a new challenge...

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

I've done a 5k before, but I need to get back into running again (I've just been walking for a couple of weeks), so I've added twice a week with the Zombie Run app (chases turned on) to get me back into the groove.

• Race: Fire Elemental | Class: Adventurer at heart, but training to be an Assassin

[Level: 2 | STR 3 | DEX 4 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 ]

• Current Challenge: 2
  • Old Challenges: 1

OK just a short 4 Km run today as I want to go for a 90 run this weekend, distance does not matter as the time takes precedence, I need to do something different as I have become somewhat fixated on how far I can run in 60 minutes.

The road bike is getting rather neglected and when I consider the money I spent on it and the relevant clothing and equipment it is rather dumb.

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.

Im in.

Ive always wanted to be a runner. I love it when Im shuffling/waddling around the track. Its just I've gotta work on my time management to book it in. Im not great at running at the moment. But that just means there is more room for improvement.

Weather permitting I will run outside with the c25k app and runtastic going at the same time. I do this for a couple of reasons: one is that the runtastic app logs all my km for the day, elevation and speed plus maps where I've been, Two it allows me to play my music at the same time and still hear the voice prompts from C25K! Works nicely together, although battery power can get used up pretty quick!

If weather is crummy I will use my elliptical trainer instead.

During the last challenge I only got two days done on C25K, this time Im aiming to complete as much as I can.

• Like 2

Adventurer

Level one Lycan

STR 3, DEX 1, STA 4, CON 2, WIS 6, CHA 4.

Just been putting together a new running playlist, a rather eclectic mix with mostly a rock basis, some Bloc Party, Offspring, Editors, Biffy Clyro, Hardfi, Cure etc.

Tbh I cannot run without music.

• Like 1

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.

I finished the C25K app (Get Running) this last challenge. I ran my first 5K last Saturday. I've moved on to Zombies Run, but wish it would work with Pandora.

Now that I have done a 5K, I'm going to keep it up and improve my pace. I did my race at 16m/mi. I plan on working up to a 12m/mi. I'll be using a treadmill mainly. It's too hot anymore to run outside. 105-110 everyday. :( 

Level 9 Tiefling Ranger/Scout

STR 9 DEX 16 CON 15 INT 10 WIS 13

Current challenge

Mordor: Hobbiton -> Rivendell (238/458 miles)

Water advice  Join the Circus!

I find it hard to run without music too. I had problems getting my music started at the 5k last week and I started to panic a bit. But I eventually got it going, phew.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP