KBLynx makes it to base camp- Kitsune Evolve!

KBLynx

concordia.jpg

This challenge comes at an opportune time, I just passed foundation classes at my Crossfit box. I feel like I'm sitting here, at base camp, ready to climb but not quite sure what to expect at the top (or the middle for that matter!). Caverns with gold? Angry club wielding trolls? Empty vistas and dwindling resources? Or just maybe...Leveling up and becoming stronger! This Kitsune needs to earn some more tails.

Main Quest:

Summit the peak and plant my flag.

WOD 3-4x per week, no excuses (unless ill or on my one vacation for the year-because i deserve one damnit! even if I'm broke and it's just camping)

Side Quests:

1.Refuel with Meat, Veggetables, Fruit and limited grains. Continue to keep dairy out of my diet (for allergies).

2.Slay the battle troll that is Stress! Drink less wine, take more naps, allow myself to sit down for a few minutes at the end of the day, Play outside with my daughter, learn to say NO more at work.

3. Do a Full Real Life Pull-Up.

Life Quest:

Get $1000 in savings for emergencies and rainy days

kitsune+2.jpg

Go Rangers !!

• Like 1

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

STR:5 DEX:2 STA:3 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

Current Challenge: Kitsune Evolve!

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion"

Thanks Tialoredron! My first challenge was weight loss based and it didn't mesh at all with my fitness goals. Working out hot & heavy and getting built is more important to me right now than reaching a specific number on the scale.

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Mondays are insane days. I was up @ 5:10am and was off to work at 7am. Rushed to pick up my daughter from daycare @ 4:30 then straight to dance class. We got home and thank heavens the Man made dinner! Bless his happy little heart. He got my daughter fed, and I bathed her and then off to bed with a book.  Before you could say "sit down a second" I was running out the door to Crossfit @ 8:30.

I need exercise more on these days than any other. By 8:30 I'm a cranky frazzled mess and need to blow off some steam. I get zero physical activity at work and sweat just clears my brain.

We focused on Cleans, Seated overhead presses and Good Mornings amongst other things. My arms/shoulders are buring something good this morning though. I think I'll need to take a break and hit target at lunch for some icy hot. My coworkers hate the smell (they said I smell like dude!) but eh it's worth it. They can deal ;)

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Day 2 Run down:

Crossfit

Strength was snatches. I can only do the Women's bar so far and could not get thru the full set. II have only done them with PVC or a training bar, so this was a biggee!

WOD was Wall balls, pull ups & lunge AMRAP I hung in there.

Today I need a rest day, my shoulders and arms are buuuurning!

Love thy self

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Day 3:

Nada ;) I was so sore!

Day 4 (yesterday):

Crossfit. Power cleans & Deadlifts with lots and lots of burpees! I think deadlifts are my favorite, so it was enjoyable.

One thing that's been bugging me a little is the clique-ish vibe at box. The room splits up during warm-up into men and women. I'm too old to play the middle school dance game (ok I never liked it!) so I just hang with the dudes. I'm an introvert, but also not one for small talk. It's just hard for me to try to throw myself into a giggling group of ladies when I'm focusing on busting my ass. Am I being a snob? Should I try harder? I find that when i just matter of fact try to talk to the ladies without any small talk or flattery I'm met with a look like I have 2 heads or a horn growing out of my face. My sister said I should have been born a guy. Arg.

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Guest Hornbeam

That's a real shame you're at a cliquey box, when so much of the point with crossfit is the community support. I say stick with the gang who are supportive. No point wasting your energy (because it takes a hell of a lot of energy) sticking with folk who make you feel uncomfortable, whether you're a gender match or not! Rock on, buddy!

Recap!

Day 5-6-7: Rest days

I didn't mean to have so many in a row, but being father's day weekend there was just a ton going on. This week will be better. i'm going to hit up the 8:30pm session tonight.

@Trolleybags. THANK you. i know some of these people have been working out together for a  year or longer, and they are all early 20's (and I'm old balls at 32). I just need to go in, do my best, and not worry about it!

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Week 2:

Day 1:

Crossfit: Muscle Snatches & Overhead Squats. Junkyard dog burpees then the WOD was a team AMRAP with #75lb (not RX) Cleans 1 minute then burpees the next for 14 min.

My arms feel like wet noodles!

I'm going to try to make it again today :D

Oh and no evening wine with dinner for 2 days! It's a record.

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Well I made it a total of 3 times to crossfit last week. I hope that I can make it 4 times this week. I felt pretty maxed out at 3 just do to the intensity and improving my general fitness level.

I will be making it today!

This week will be crazy. The kid has dance class tonight, then showcase rehersals Wed & Thursday and showcases Saturday & Sunday. I'm proud of myself for finding the time to workout with the schedules we keep and working full time plus a commute :/ I will go ahead and forgive myself now for getting nothing done at home.

• Like 1

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Awesome job!  Sounds like you are doing really well for yourself!

I am interested in doing crossfit training, but I would prefer to train by myself or with one other person; what sort of exercises and reps does the crossfit routine normally involve so I can make my own routine to implement?  I have a few bodyweight circuits, but I am unsure of what the crossfit circuit really looks like and if I am even close to crossfit.

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

Tialoredron,

You can go to most box's websites and they usually list the WODs. Also this forum is a great starting point.....

http://board.crossfit.com/index.php?s=b9658af7b5518fee0dfca84a4e528dcb

i have to say that as hard as I've ever pushed myself during a workout doesn't come even 50% to how hard I'm pushed at crossfit. That is the difference for me. When I was at the gym and was like...oh hey I'm good, I'm going home now...I'm at the box and the coaches are yelling at me to make one more round while I'm collapsed on the floor. That said lots of people do crossfit at home, or on thier own, but I know for me that I would never push myself that hard. Kudos if you can!!

• Like 1

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Week 3 day 1&2: Crossfit

Deadlifts are up to #105! that's a record for me, we had to do 20-15-10-5 with 1-2-3-4 laps of bear crawls in-between and then 10-20-30-40 pushups after the bear crawls.

I almost died. Almost. I had to drive to the grocery store after and my arms were litteraly shaking and twitching.

I had one hard lemonade with dinner last night. I've been way better about the evening drinks which I think derail my progress. It's not worth working this hard to ruin it with le wine.

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Mini Rant: TMI but it's shark week so this is probably why I'm so irritated.

I was just having lunch with all of my coworkers for a birthday (all women today). One coworker that I'm close to was asking me about my Crossfit progress so I told her. Then it started...my boss said her husband told her she couldn't lift anything over 3lbs because he didn't want her to look manly. Then another said that women that lift look gross. Than a third chirpped in that people who lift have flat chests and look like men. Then they started comparing notes about the 3-5lb weights they use for making tonned arms.

I was so embarassed. I hate to say it but I didn't even stand up for myself because I was feeling so cranky and put down. They were all knocking my body when they are (most of them) really overweight.

It was just so catty and I didn't know what to say.

*end rant*

I feel like crying. I feel so GOOD being fit and working so hard. It's hard having everyone call you manly :( I've never really had boobs to begin with and my shoulders are naturally VERY square and solid.

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

1. Just remember, when the zombie apocolypse hits, the first ones to go are easy prey...wounded, sick, weak, elderly, and young; Don't put yourself in this group willingly by being weak.

2. If a zombie can't catch you, a zombie can't kill you.

3. If you punch a zombie in the face and break its jaw, a zombie can't bite you. If you cut off its head its just as dangerous as a snake with its head cut off. If you cut off its legs, it can no longer run/jog/walk towards you.  See #2. If you cut off its arms it can no longer pin you and will have a harder time securing a grapple to bite.

4. Never set fire to a zombie...for then you would have a zombie on fire chasing after you.

5. If you must go alone....DON'T!

I also consider myself a terrible person, if others truly believe in their theories, let them believe it as it has no impact on you. Your primary job on this Earth is not to prove yourself to anyone else but yourself [sure proving yourself to others can be a plus if you are extroverted, but as an introvert to introvert it is more important that we prove ourselves to ourselves].  If people want to judge you for what you do and what you consider success, let them judge you; but don't ever forget that they are not you and they have no control over how you enjoy your life.  As soon as you let others make your decisions for you, deciding what is best for you and what you should be/do, you might as well be another zombie in the apocolypse.  Stay strong KBLynx, you got this all the way through.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Tialoredron thank you for reminding my why I'm doing this. If the world feel to peices I would be the only one to carry one of them to safety. The lightest one. Not based on descrimination just purely physical progress :D The rest can fall behind as zombie speed bumps.

Introversion is a funny beast when it comes to critisism isn't it? Despite considering myself very strong willed and capable-and patting myself on the back-it can be hard to hear that others don't share my feelings. It's also harder to stick up for myself-and that can lead to feelings of anger at myself for not being more expressive. That's just not me though. I don't want to always have to fight for approval that I don't even care that much about in the first place.

zombie-apocalypse_o_938040.jpg

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

I would think that since we are so hard on ourselves already, it is hard for us to hear others being hard on us as well as we assume they have thought much worse of us.  I know I kill myself internally for many hours at a much higher level than what I am willing to admit to anyone else, so I apply that logic to others and read their critisism as if they had the same internal monologue as I would have.  The important thing to realize is that we are the nerds of fitness and they are not; we are the subject-matter experts on our own bodies in regard to performance/capabilities.  We also don't need to voice our "opinion" as right as it may be for other's to criticize since our results prove our opinion. You do not have to stick up for yourself by expressing yourself, but you should stick up for yourself internally to refocus your integrity and ignore the nay-sayers as you improve and show undeniable proof that your system works and that your system is undeniable for yourself.

Half-elven Ranger

I agree whole heartedly. The inner critic needs to STFU and not be fed by the mumblings of the outer critics. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Cheers man, my gains make me proud and happy, no one gets to take that away from me without my consent! And consent I will not give.

Week 3 Days 3&4: Rest

I *wanted to work out last night, but my body and mind were telling me that I just needed an addional rest day. I'm not getting all of the sleep I need (just how my schedule is) so I'm going to try to catch up on that this weekend. The last two nights were spent at the performing arts center for my daughter's dance rehersals. We have showcases on Saturday and sunday but then it's time for a break!  I adore watching all of the performances though, I'm very much looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

This weekend was so full I'm still recovering from it!

Week 4: Day 1 & 2

Crossfit! Cleans, Overhead presses and deadlifts amongst running, wall balls and junkyard dogs.

Today is going to be a rest day. I might go look at a house if the realitor decides to call me back :/ otherwise i have family obligations. I would prefer to lay on the couch alone but there is little hope of that !

I've been super hungry today. I made Chana masala (Indian chickpea dish) which is healty and delicious. The problem was how much I ate. I need to watch my portions right now, I've just been starving after my workout days.

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Week 4: Wrap up...well I didn't get anymore workouts in. I drove to see my parents in Eastern WA. and we did do some walking/swimming/playing in the yard but mostly I was lazy.

I wasn't able to log in there because A) They have dial up and B) I'm not allowed to use my dad's computers (yes I'm a grown up and not a fellon so I think he's just hiding his PRon).

Week 5: Day 1

Crossfit yesterday! I hit my first RX ever, I was able to do 55lb snatches and 75lb Power Cleans. It was hard going back after so many days though. I'm going to try to hit it again tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is having a wonderful summer

• Like 1

Kitsune-Ranger Lvl 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines