Gilly's Road to Graduation Phase 2

GillyNomad

So second challenge with the Rangers and the second phase of my road to graduation. Phase 1 went ok, I ended up focusing more on the studying part (which graduation wouldn't be possible without). Towards the end, my fitness and diet suffered,although over the past week that has improved. 

My main quest is still the same: 

Main Quest
To become stronger, faster and happier.

My sub-goals to achieve my main quest are fairly similar to what I had last challenge. I've joined a circuit training group that I go to twice a week. And I've started running again. So I'm doing some form of exercise basically every day, (which takes me back to when I was younger). 

1. Get Stronger
I want to build up the strength in my legs and also my upper body strength. These are goals that I would like to achieve at some point....not necessarily this challenge. I only have access to bodyweight exercises and free weights.

• Squats - 10 squats with 10kg (22pounds) of extra weight 100 squats in only 2 rounds
  • Push Ups - 5 good form decline push ups 20 good form push ups in a row
  • Pull Ups - a pull up
  • Handstands - 60 seconds of a wall handstand

Last challenge I had my squats with added weight of 8kg, which I have completed, so now I will work on being consistent with squatting that weight in the circuits and attempting to try just holding it with one arm to add difficulty. I've found over this week I need to work on the consistency more than just adding weight. 

Push Ups are the devil. I swear I get worse as the weeks go on. In circuit training they are just awful. I just need to keep practising them. I'm not sure at which point I need to start making it more difficult though. I'm going to follow the angry birds workout to decide when I need to make things more difficult.

I don't have access to a pull up bar at home or at the circuit training, so have to use the park for that. I do inverted rows at the moment in the hopes my upper body strength starts to grow. 

Handstand practice went okay last challenge. I'm going to focus this challenge on getting into a handstand position rather than walking up a wall. 

2. Get Faster and more Flexible
I want to get back into playing rugby and being fast  and agile are helpful when playing.

• Shuttle Runs
  • Run under 10 minute mile (currently 11:23 is my fastest mile) 
  • Stretch everyday

Started doing my shuttle runs at the circuit training. I forgot how much fitness it took for me to complete them. Will need o practice them in the park too, possibly when I go to do my attempts at pull ups. 

I had my mile at 11:03, but since lack of fitness routine and diet that went back up to 11:53, although since I started running again that time is now down to 11:23. I'm using the C25k, as I think 5k is a reasonable distance to complete, so the mile times will improve gradually as in the programme there is walking involved.

Stretching was an important part of my physio and since I stopped, stretching got forgotten. I've got a few simple exercises to do that don't take much time, so there is no excuse not to do them. 

3. Be happier

Last challenge it was enough sleep, but I pretty much have that down so time for a new sub goal. This will be related to diet mainly, as by eating right I feel better about myself. 

• No Soda
  • Three proper meals a day...i.e no snacking

No fizzy drinks is something I have managed before and found I felt so much happier and less "cloudy" but I slip when I'm stressed, and exams was stressful. Once I'm in a routine, I can have the occasional glass or can because I still like fizzy drinks and find them refreshing but I need to get to that routine where I'm not holding onto them like a clutch. 

I've found I snack a lot...I eat breakfast and dinner but in the middle lunch gets missed and I end up eating crap rather than an actual meal. I need something substantial as meals in my parents house don't get eaten till late, so I need to look into easy and cheap meals I can have for lunch. 

Life Quest

Find a job. Now that uni has finished I need to get a job. So spend at least an hour 30 minutes a day on the weekday searching for jobs and creating my cv's and cover letters.

Finish my novel. I wrote a story for NanoWrimo in November 2012 and have yet to actually finish it. I really enjoyed writing it and would love to be able to say I've finished. So spend at least 30 minutes a every day write/edit 500 words and hopefully it I'll be finished by end of august.  

EDITED: To make my goals easier to track. 

Where can you find me?:  My Twitter  /  My Blog

Great challenge goals! Looking forward to seeing you progress.

We've got writerly types in the Renaissance Rebels accountabilibuddy group and I'm planning some anti-procrastination and productivity activities there this challenge. Check it out for support in your life quest.

Subbing and cheering you on!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Great challenge goals! Looking forward to seeing you progress.

We've got writerly types in the Renaissance Rebels accountabilibuddy group and I'm planning some anti-procrastination and productivity activities there this challenge. Check it out for support in your life quest.

Subbing and cheering you on!

cool, I've joined, looks like it should help! 

So I discovered today that my technique for a push up was slightly wrong. I've had to widen where my hands go in order to make sure my elbows come in close to my body. Hopefully my arms will actually start to get stronger now. 

• Like 1

Proper technique should definitely help your strength and it will keep your joints in better alignment, too. Your joints will thank you for it when you're old like me...

Glad you've joined up with the Renaissance Rebels. It should be a fun challenge!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hi there! Saw you in the Renaissance Rebels group and came over here to cheer you on. :) Push ups are indeed the devil! They are on my goal list as well. I hear you about the unfinished NaNo novels. I have a few I need to *ahem* get back to...

As for the snacking, I've had good luck with packing a lunch, and then doing all my snacking out of there. Fruit, veggies, a sandwich, and a carefully measured portion of nuts. When the food is gone, snack time is over.

*Subbed for the novelling* :D

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Great life quests! It's really cool to finish writing a novel :)

For job hunting, setting more specific goals works better for myself - like "write 1 cover letter", "send out 1 application", etc. Not sure about you but good luck!! :)

I also think it's okay to snack on healthy food, like fruit and nuts. I always keep loads of cashews in my room lol 

• Like 2

My current challenge!

Level 1 [5/100]

5%
5%

I love your challenges, and especially finishing that novel! Trust me, it's a wonderful feeling. Subbed, and go RANGER!

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Hi there! Saw you in the Renaissance Rebels group and came over here to cheer you on. :) Push ups are indeed the devil! They are on my goal list as well. I hear you about the unfinished NaNo novels. I have a few I need to *ahem* get back to...

As for the snacking, I've had good luck with packing a lunch, and then doing all my snacking out of there. Fruit, veggies, a sandwich, and a carefully measured portion of nuts. When the food is gone, snack time is over.

*Subbed for the novelling* :D

Push ups have always been bad for me, but hopefully now that I've changed my technique I might slowly start to improve. 

I did that too when I was at uni, really helped, unfortunately I am now at home with free reign of the kitchen. I might start making a pack lunch or a box of food I can eat for the day....I'll think about that. 

Great life quests! It's really cool to finish writing a novel :)

For job hunting, setting more specific goals works better for myself - like "write 1 cover letter", "send out 1 application", etc. Not sure about you but good luck!! :)

I also think it's okay to snack on healthy food, like fruit and nuts. I always keep loads of cashews in my room lol 

I really want to finish it, I felt amazing when I got the 50,000 word count! As it was something I never thought I could do. I have some sultanas that I like to snack on but I'm not a fruit fan so it can get a little difficult :)

I love your challenges, and especially finishing that novel! Trust me, it's a wonderful feeling. Subbed, and go RANGER!

:D

So doing well on the No Soda, on a 7 day streak so far....feeling so much better for it too, the cravings are becoming less...still hard when I am out and about but I am slowly getting there. 

Went for my run this afternoon in the glorious sunshine with my new armband. I can actually feel myself getting fitter and it is amazing. I am currently on 11:07 for one mile, so I've cut it down by just over 45 seconds in less than three weeks, (I am following C25K so that's probably why, but I still feel a lot fitter/comfortable running than I did three weeks ago).

I haven't started on my life quests or handstands yet. I'll start those parts on Monday. After all the hard work for my uni exams I needed a break where I am just relaxing, giving my brain a bit of a break.  

• Like 3

Glad the No Soda PVP is going so well - woot on the seven day streak! And good on the running improvement, too!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Really did not want to go for a run today...at all, but then found myself in my room just browsing the internet and not doing anything useful. I realised in the time I had spent being on the internet aimlessly I could have already done my run. So I got dressed and dragged myself outside. It was a decent run. I followed the C25K again and in that time (W2D3) I ran (occasional walks) 1.46 miles and my mile time is now down to 10:50. 

I'm really happy that I forced myself outside to run now. 

Going to do a bit of editing tonight. Do some productive for a change. 

• Like 1

Good for you! Sometimes the biggest obstacle is just getting started!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Circuit training was pretty awful today. i finished it but I felt so tired the whole way round. I'm finding it quite difficult doing the training at 7:30pm. I think I exercise better earlier in the day. 

I'm finding I'm still snacking, and even after I finish lunch I'm still hungry which probably means I'm not eating enough at lunch. I really need to look into some easy and healthy lunchtime meals that I can have. 

did some job hunting today. It is so difficult because I don't really know what I want to do. Just have to keep searching I guess. Although there is one job I've found so tomorrows task is to write my cover letter and move some things in my cv around so it's more appropriate for the job. 

Mini Challenge One: 

My goals weren't that SMART so I changed them slightly. I changed them to something I could easily track (with my writing) and made the goals more realistic for a 6 week challenge, that way I have more of an endpoint than before.

Strength: I am good with routines. I snack less and get more work done when I have a plan/to do list. So will need to have some form of schedule that I can follow every day. A list of things I must complete during the day. Hopefully this will keep me more on track otherwise I end up wasting the day away browsing the internet. 

Weakness: Checking in to my log and accountability threads. Also interacting with other members in the forums. I am coming up to my one year of nerd fitness and I feel like I should be more involved because this community really does help with my focus etc. I've got time of at the moment so I'm going use that time to make sure I check in on the accountability threads I'm on. 

From Log:

Skipped the circuit training tonight as my neck is a bit painful from mondays session and I have a sore quad....not quite sure what the problem is with my quad but I get pain when I walk too fast. (Although I can run which makes me think it is a stride thing. My stride is bigger when I walk so I think it pulls it more causing the pain). I've done some stretches and it feels a lot better but didn't want to risk it tonight. 

So I've unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, edited around 600 words of my novel and printed my dad's father's day gift. 

At the moment we have builders/plumbers in the house doing the bathrooms and I can not wait till they are gone. I can't drink a lot because then I'll need the loo and it's difficult when you have plumbers in the house and the water is constantly being turned off. 

I've also been for my run...my mile is down to 10 minutes 41 now. I keep getting stitches at the moment which makes the end of my run quite painful. Harry has been walked and taken to the vet for his booster jabs. 

I just need to get my dad to look over my cover letter and then I'm ready to apply for the job. Been a relatively productive day today. 

• Like 1

so from yesterday's list I only managed to cross a few things off

today's to-do list

• apply for job
  • motorway driving lesson
  • house chores
  • 500 words edited

First up will be motorway lessons.....slightly freaked out about them. 

Motorway lesson was pretty good, wasn't too busy so I was a lot calmer. I hate all the moving lanes though. Just need to get some more experience on the motorway now.

Paid off some of the electricity bill, so that's little less stress on me now, and I sent my application over so hopefully I'll hear back about that at some point next week.

Didn't get my 500 words in so will aim for 750 today. 

Todays list

• 750 words
  • clean room
  • exercise

short list but as its the weekend it's family time!

• Like 1

edited around 900 words today. Need to find a place where I can post it so people can give me advice etc. 

Everything that I had to take out of my cupboard for the plumbers is now back in there so thats created a lot of space. 

My exercises today were Squats, Push Ups and Planks. Simple but it allows me to see how I've improved. 

Squats - 30/35/30

Push Ups - 10/10/10

Plank - 1min/45 secs/1 min

I've never managed that many squats before so I'm quite happy. Push Ups, still hate them, but managed three sets of 10 so fairly happy. Doing ok with planks, but the lack of exercise when doing exams has meant I have decreased in time slightly.

• Like 3

Nice, consistent progress on focused goals - you are doing great!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Week One Round Up

1. Get Stronger

• Squats - 100 squats in only 2 rounds
  • Push Ups -20 good form push ups in a row
  • Pull Ups - a pull up
  • Handstands - 60 seconds of a wall handstand

So far I’ve managed 95 squats in 3 rounds, so considering it’s only the start of week 2, I think I’m on target. 

I’ve managed 10 push ups for 3 rounds, so it’s definitely something I need to work on. The last two or three push ups for each round are incredibly difficult and not brilliant form. 

Not tried a pull up yet, I’m still focused on doing the inverted rows. I wanted to buy a pull up bar for the house but my parents didn’t like that idea. They think the door frames will not manage the weight/pressure so it makes it more difficult to attempt them. 

Not done any handstand practice yet. Where I normally practice, there are currently plumbers/builders/tilers in the way so will hopefully get to start practicing in a couple of days time. 

2. Get Faster and more Flexible

• Shuttle Runs
  • Run under 10 minute mile (currently 11:23 is my fastest mile) 
  • Stretch everyday

I do these at circuit training, and I’ve noticed an improvement but I really need to find some kind routine or something. Something that I can track rather than just doing runs. 

Running is going well, considering how much I dislike it. My mile is down from 11:53 when I started a couple of weeks ago to 10:41. So I’m on target. I was supposed to go running yesterday but with it being father’s day I got sidetracked. 

Stretching is going fairly well. I didn’t take pictures of where I currently am, so will do that at some point today or tomorrow. 

3. Be happier

• No Soda
  • Three proper meals a day...i.e no snacking

The no soda is going well, I still have major cravings but I’m 16 days of no coke. I have found though that I’ve been substituting coke for things that have more sugar in them, like apple juice and J2O’s because I want something with some flavour. I am going to focus this week on actively choosing water instead. 

Yeah…this is the major fail of the week so far. Breakfast is ok, and dinner is generally sorted as part of the family although they are not the healthiest of meals sometimes. Lunch is my main problem. I end up just snacking all day and it is not good. I need to find myself some decent recipes that will fill me up. I basically need to work on this. 

Life Quest

• Job
  • Novel

Job hunting is slow but I have finished and sent off one application. I just have to keep checking. 

Editing the novel is going ok. Only about 48500 words to go.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines