Gilly's Road to Graduation Phase 2

GillyNomad

Round up of the round up

So after having written all that I feel it’s best if I highlight what I need to work on over the next week. 

• Find a routine for shuttle runs
  • Photos of stretches
  • Choose water instead of other alternatives
  • Research recipes for lunch and actually cook them

I won't be going to circuit training from now on, I can't really afford to give up the money when I have no job, plus with it being at 7:30pm I'm finding it really difficult to time food properly. Once the plumbers have gone, it will be easier to work out during the day where I find it easier. I learnt some good things while I was there though that I can put into practice. 

Where can you find me?:  My Twitter  /  My Blog

Workout today

For this workout I did a set of pushups then squats, rest x3, followed by dips then plank, rest x3. Once I have the living room back I'll be able to do more for workouts. 

• Squats - 40/35/27 (102)
  • Push Ups - 10/10/10 (30)
  • Bench Dips - 12/15/15 (42)
  • Plank - 1:05/0:45/0:30 (2:20)

push ups were still difficult - the third set was the hardest. Really struggled with the last four. Plank was horrible today. I think as it was the last exercise I did I just couldn't hold it. My energy had dropped to much. Although I don't appear to do that much in my workouts, I still push my body for each set till I can't do any more. 

• Like 1

Hey, you kick my butt when it comes to...well, all of those, actually. Everyone's got their own limits. Just concentrate on yours, and you'll do fine. ^_^

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. I'm also working on leveling up my diet. Good luck with cutting out soda.

Regarding pull ups, one thing you can try to get stronger besides inverted rows is negatives. That's where you lift yourself up into the top position of a pull up using your legs or whatever and lower yourself down slowly. You'll get stronger from holding yourself up and controlling your descent. You could also start with chin ups, which are easier. That's what I did when I was first trying to do pull ups.

My first 3 times merging onto the freeway, the smallest thing I merged next to was a Hummer, which was still pretty scary. However, I think you'll find pretty soon that driving on the freeway is actually much easier and less stressful than driving in town.

What kind of job are you looking for?

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

STR - 63 DEX - 22 STA - 16 CON - 47 WIS - 48 CHA - 7

Hey, you kick my butt when it comes to...well, all of those, actually. Everyone's got their own limits. Just concentrate on yours, and you'll do fine. ^_^

I just feel like I'm not doing enough in terms of exercise to get stronger etc, especially as I have no access to a gym, so I can only focus on bodyweight. I know diet is 80% of the challenge but it's still hard.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. I'm also working on leveling up my diet. Good luck with cutting out soda.

Regarding pull ups, one thing you can try to get stronger besides inverted rows is negatives. That's where you lift yourself up into the top position of a pull up using your legs or whatever and lower yourself down slowly. You'll get stronger from holding yourself up and controlling your descent. You could also start with chin ups, which are easier. That's what I did when I was first trying to do pull ups.

My first 3 times merging onto the freeway, the smallest thing I merged next to was a Hummer, which was still pretty scary. However, I think you'll find pretty soon that driving on the freeway is actually much easier and less stressful than driving in town.

What kind of job are you looking for?

The soda thing is getting easier the longer I do it. 

That sounds like a good idea, thanks. I might give that a try. :) 

It's the unpredictableness of trucks. I'll get used to it, just have to keep driving (if I can ever get the car off my little sister that is)

I'm graduating with a mathematics degree in july so preferably something where I can use the skills and knowledge I've learnt over the last three years. I quite like the idea of an analyst job or something like that. 

• Like 1

Bodyweight workouts are absolutely a method of getting stronger. Mechanically, I'd be surprised to find out that they weren't the best way. Just keep on keeping on, and add a rep or two here and there when you can.

For a little more concrete information about strength progression and bodyweight workouts, I strongly recommend Convict Conditioning. It has wonderful progression plans for the six basic exercises that it lines out.

Well hello house building buddy!  Looks like you're doing well on your challenge so far :)

I had a lot of success with the Angry Birds Workout in the past in figuring out when to level up and make things more difficult, because I couldn't tell myself.  Hope it works out for you!

Alsooo I've been doing negative pull ups and I really think they have helped build my strength a lot in a relatively short amount of time.  Much more useful then doing super duper assisted pull ups over and over again.

Bodyweight workouts are absolutely a method of getting stronger. Mechanically, I'd be surprised to find out that they weren't the best way. Just keep on keeping on, and add a rep or two here and there when you can.

For a little more concrete information about strength progression and bodyweight workouts, I strongly recommend Convict Conditioning. It has wonderful progression plans for the six basic exercises that it lines out.

Ok, I'll keep on going with what I'm doing, I've found it a lot easier now I'm doing the angry birds workout. Gives me clear goals to work towards. 

I'll have a look at convict conditioning at some point, thanks :)

Well hello house building buddy!  Looks like you're doing well on your challenge so far :)

I had a lot of success with the Angry Birds Workout in the past in figuring out when to level up and make things more difficult, because I couldn't tell myself.  Hope it works out for you!

Alsooo I've been doing negative pull ups and I really think they have helped build my strength a lot in a relatively short amount of time.  Much more useful then doing super duper assisted pull ups over and over again.

Hello! The angry birds workout is definitely helping me alot. I seem to be getting more out of my workouts my following it. 

I don't have access to a pull up bar at home...yet, so it can be difficult to get the practice in. For when I do inverted rows? the table I use is just a little bit too high for me making it more difficult and slightly awkward to complete them...sometimes being short is a pain in the butt. But I will keep this in mind when I get my home pull up bar :)

• Like 2

So I have been really lazy over the past two days. I have not done as much job hunting as I should have. I've also done zero writing/editing of my novel since Monday. Although the plumbers/builders are now gone so the house is less noisy and I can focus a lot more. It makes exercising during the day a lot easier too. I've done zero running in the past couple of days - missed two sessions, so need to get back on top of that. 

Today's Workout

• Squats - 55/56 (total=111, therefore can move on to overhead squats)
  • Push Ups - 12/12/13 (total=37, giving me 7 more than last workout)
  • Inverted Rows? - 10/5/5 (total=20, the table I use makes it really difficult to get a good grip so I'm not the best at these)
  • Planks - 1:09/1:00/1:00 (total=3:09)
  • Bench Dips - 15/15/16 (total=46)

So for the mini challenge I guess I have done - 111 squats, 83 Push and 20 Pull?

I have finally managed to convince my parents to allow me to by a home pull up bar. So that should hopefully be here by Friday! 

• Like 2

I found the days where I posted a to-do list for the day I stuck to it probably because I had to check back in here and report on the day. Therefore tomorrows list will be:

• Cardio day - complete some form of cardio
  • General chores
  • 500 word written/edited
  • job hunting

My life is so interesting right now...

My body feels so hot after that workout tonight...which hasn't happened that much before, even after a cold shower. I'm guessing that means I worked harder than normal in the workout?

That or invisible Heat Gnomes. They suck.

Anyway, looking good on the workouts there. Do you do straight-body inverted rows, or keep your feet flat on the floor? If you hinge at the knees it's easier overall, and it might make reaching the table a little easier on you too.

• Cardio day - complete some form of cardio
  • General chores
  • 500 word written/edited
  • job hunting

Did 5 minutes of skipping, 1min jumping, 30 seconds rest for my cadio today. 

Chores took way longer than I anticipated and spent ages job hunting so my 500 words did not get done. To be honest I think as much as i would love to have my novel finished I don't think I have the motivation to do it at the moment. 

That or invisible Heat Gnomes. They suck.

Anyway, looking good on the workouts there. Do you do straight-body inverted rows, or keep your feet flat on the floor? If you hinge at the knees it's easier overall, and it might make reaching the table a little easier on you too.

I'm going to try that tomorrow, might make it less awkward for me. Although I should be getting my pull up bar tomorrow too!!

• Like 1

Hey saw you passed by my profile so I thought I would come by, say hi and see how your challenge was going. Saw you were having issues with the evil Soda, I know that feeling the further you get along in your journey the less tasty soda becomes so don't lose hope. I suggest looking into Teas, specifically herbal teas or red teas both of which will satisfy for your need for flavor, or go with a black or green for a pick me up. Economically it's cheaper than Soda and can be brewed cold or hot. Also Sports tea.

I will be cheering you on till the end! Go you can do it!

Race: Demi-Human

Class; Ranger Level: 3

STR:5 | DEX:5 | CON:6 | INT:1 | WIS:5 | CHA:1

Former ​Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Orcs Killed

100%
100%

Coffee challenge: Failed :(

Next up: Nerd Rumble 2015

I am Groot.

Only managed a small workout today, and it wasn't a great one. I know why it wasn't great but there's not much I can do to help, my strength just gets sapped at this point in the month

• Overhead Squats - 30/30/27 (87)
  • Push Ups - 6/6/5 (17)
  • Negative Pull Ups - 10/5/5 (20)

like I said only a small workout, but better than none at all :) I might do some planks and bench dips later on if I feel up to it. 

• Like 1

Hey saw you passed by my profile so I thought I would come by, say hi and see how your challenge was going. Saw you were having issues with the evil Soda, I know that feeling the further you get along in your journey the less tasty soda becomes so don't lose hope. I suggest looking into Teas, specifically herbal teas or red teas both of which will satisfy for your need for flavor, or go with a black or green for a pick me up. Economically it's cheaper than Soda and can be brewed cold or hot. Also Sports tea.

I will be cheering you on till the end! Go you can do it!

Hi!

yeah I've noticed that in the past. The hardest part is when I go out, coke was my go to drink because it was always available. Now finding something else to drink can be a little trickier (as I can be quite picky). Although I'm doing well so far. 

I'm not a big fan of hot drinks but I might look into it when the weather cools down a bit, thanks :)

Hi!

yeah I've noticed that in the past. The hardest part is when I go out, coke was my go to drink because it was always available. Now finding something else to drink can be a little trickier (as I can be quite picky). Although I'm doing well so far. 

I'm not a big fan of hot drinks but I might look into it when the weather cools down a bit, thanks :)

You're welcome! :D

Race: Demi-Human

Class; Ranger Level: 3

STR:5 | DEX:5 | CON:6 | INT:1 | WIS:5 | CHA:1

Former ​Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Orcs Killed

100%
100%

Coffee challenge: Failed :(

Next up: Nerd Rumble 2015

I am Groot.

okay so didn't do my dips or plank tonight. Got lazy after dinner. 

I've decided I'm going to go back a little on my push ups. Going to perfect my form etc with incline push ups first (using angry birds)- I feel I may benefit more from that, as at the moment I am too inconsistent and still struggle with getting my hands in the right position. 

So did two planks today. A 1:43 and a 1:23.

Also had a can of coke yesterday and today so my run has been broken. The cans were just screaming at me....

ve3esepe.jpg

Anyway not the end of the world. I like having coke every now and then so I would never give it up completely. I'm still doing well not having coke when I'm out and about, generally choosing water instead.

Got my pull up bar yesterday! It's awesome. I can't do a pull up yet but can do one chin up. Can't wait till Monday to practice some more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also just noticed that today marks my first year of nerdfitness - didn't really start using the forums until 5 or 6 months in, but since joining I've lost around 6 pounds in weight and slimmed considerably. I have my inches recorded from october so I'll take some measurements tomorrow to see how much I have lost since then. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure how accurate my stats are for my measurements so I'm going to take the plunge and post my photos instead. I started my journey in October 2013 - when I seriously started to consider my diet and fitness. It's been a slow journey so far with lots of false starts due to uni, but according to my stats I've lost about 5 pounds since October 2013 and 2 1/2 inches on my belly, but I'm not sure on the inches part. 

These photos were taken 9 months apart: October 2nd 2013 and June 22nd 2014. I don't do weightlifting, so every bit of progress I have made has been down to changing aspects of my diet and bodyweight exercises. 

Here are my progress photos:

Oct2013-June2014.jpg?_subject_uid=412648

SideOct2013-June2014.jpg?_subject_uid=41

Also the no soda thing been on a bit of a downfall - 3 days in a row having coke. Having seen the difference in my pics I think this is the motivation I need to say no to a glass of coke!  

• Like 1

You don't want that coke - it tastes yucky. Or it makes you feel yucky. Or you just don't need it. Blech. 

And 59 is a great resting heart rate! Congrats!

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

I know the feeling of lack of writing motivation. I'd like to share with you this pep talk from Neil Gaiman. He knows what it's like to want to give up on a story, just like you and me and every other writer out there. That link has been a great comfort to me over the years.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines