Jimbo’s Comeback Challenge (#5)

Jimbo

I injured my right arm about two months ago. I had a severe tendinopathy flareup caused by overuse and excessive hammering of nails. Needing to rest the arm, I stopped lifting for a month and skipped the last challenge. I am now resuming 5/3/1, slowly, trying not to re-injure the arm.

My long-term goal continues to be getting my weight down to roughly 200 lb.  However, for this challenge my main objective is to complete my 5/3/1 comeback without re-injuring my right arm. Just for the hell of it, I will weigh myself on the first and last days of this challenge and not worry about my weight in the meantime.

The three main components of this challenge are:

1. Slowly resume 5/3/1, using “I’m Not Doing Shit Today†(INDST) to avoid overuse, with a five-day schedule, one major lift the first four days, barbell rows on the fifth, and one rest day between workouts. I have not yet decided whether I will do rows as a main lift, or in a Boring But Big way (i.e. five sets of ten reps at low weights).

2. Restrain myself so as not to re-injure my right arm. This is a distinct component because I tend to push myself too hard. Hence, I need to slack, which makes INDST perfect.

3. Continue eating paleo (high-protein, lots of good carbs only).

My main motivation is my health, with special emphasis this challenge on the continuing recovery of my right arm as a limiting factor.

I have no interest in points or role playing. I want to level up IRL.

• Like 1

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

battle log  | current challenge

Be careful with that arm, make sure you are getting plenty of sleep for continued healing and recovering!

Subbing, to watch the progress of someone else who has recently been injured.  It just may be the motivation I need to not throw myself pity parties over my own!

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I'm disgusted to say that my weight is back up to 280 lb. That's a short-term gain of almost 20 lb. Two reasons: eating too much high-GI fruit, and my hiatus from lifting due to R arm problems. I'm almost back to normal lifting. Fruit is paleo, but it's not ideal for my metabolism. This challenge is not about my weight, but it is in the overall context of my health, so I need to clean up my act and avoid the high-GI carbs. I know what to do; I just need to do it. Frankly, I got really bored when my arm was all screwed up and I had to stop lifting, and when I'm bored I tend to graze.

• Like 1

ahhh...Grazing.  Warriors normally eat things that graze...watch your back!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

1. Slowly resume 5/3/1, using “I’m Not Doing Shit Today†(INDST) to avoid overuse, with a five-day schedule, one major lift the first four days, barbell rows on the fifth, and one rest day between workouts. I have not yet decided whether I will do rows as a main lift, or in a Boring But Big way (i.e. five sets of ten reps at low weights).

2. Restrain myself so as not to re-injure my right arm. This is a distinct component because I tend to push myself too hard. Hence, I need to slack, which makes INDST perfect.

3. Continue eating paleo (high-protein, lots of good carbs only).

So, I guess this challenge is over.

1. A. I am back into a regular 5/3/1 routine. Not exactly what I described at the outset, but actually closer to a normal three-day schedule, plus rows on one of the days. Today, I began week 3 of the cycle 2 after slowly rehabbing my way back.

2. A. Again, I did not stick strictly to INDST, since I adopted a three-day schedule with two main lifts on two of the three days, but I have consistently resisted the urge to overdo it.

3. B+. I was probably 90-95% paleo on average during a typical week, some days better, some days worse.

Overall grade: A-. It's nice to have returned to fairly normal 5/3/1, with concessions to avoid another overuse injury to my R arm.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines