RisenPhoenix Becomes the Summer Knight

RisenPhoenix

summerknight-big.jpg

So, we all caught up on Skin Game? No? Fine (slackers). I want to use my favorite Dresden Files book for motivation anyway. Why? Because holy crap, here's a challenge that's all vanity for me. It's the summer, and I want to look damned good for the (maybe two) times I hit the beach. Last challenge was a bit ho-hum, as I tried to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and challenges - and then I realized I'm actually at the point where I want to have the goal of "look purdy," rather than "get healthy." Vanity is a sin I'm okay with indulging in. So how am I becoming a Fit, less pudgy Knight of the Summer Court of Fae? Like this:

1) Devour the Chlorofiend. Goal: Eat Primal*.

the-chlorofiend.jpg

I need to try a different dieting technique. I eat pretty healthy, but noticed a lot of cheats happening because I could fit them in my calorie count and still be under. So no more of that. I'm going to put forth a lot of will to go mostly Primal, with a few caveats. Mainly, I'm allowing peanut butter (because I find the reasoning for not allowing it to be consumed bulled), and allow beans and lentils.  I'm also going to allow my pita pocket which I use for lunch - because I realized I'm stressing way too much about trying to make carb/grain free lunches, and that thing is literally the only grain I have.  And it's like 4g of Carbs.  I can account for that.  Hence Primal*. Biggest thing is I want to keep carbs lower than I've been eating (~175-200g/day), and get them around 100g/day. Lower is better, and I'll aim them as such, but definitely no more than 125g/day. Largest issue I foresee is my sudden lack of oatmeal for breakfast, which is a staple of mine. In the mean time, going to track how well this goes by tracking my weight, pictures, and measurements ONCE A WEEK. Photos you guys likely won't get, but the numerical metrics you'll get thrown.

2) Out Run the Blue Beatle. Goal: Finish and entire stadium tour (37 sections) at November Project by the end of the Challenge.

tumblr_m9hk4lMFCw1qho3z9o1_500.jpg

I've been running with the November Project on Wednesdays regularly now for something like 6 months. Since we started doing full section sprints, I haven't made it from section 37 to section 1 at all. I usually stall out around 30-ish, and can push myself for a few more before time runs out. So I want to do a whole tour before the challenge ends. I'm currently maxing at 32, so if I just add one extra section per week...

3) A Correspondence Course in Latin Japanese. Goal: 1 Japanese lesson per week; save $100 per week for the Japan Trip in 2015.

nihongo-1.png

So May 2015 my dojo is "hosting" a trip to Japan for 2 weeks, where we would tour the country and also get to practice at the Honbu dojo. I want to go so bad, it's ridiculous. So I will. However, I'd like to have some understanding of the Japanese language (beyond noting if someone is asking me a question or suggesting we do something) and I need to save money. So I have a book to learn Japanese for at least a cursory start point. Given I know enough people who speak Japanese, finding someone to talk to later on shouldn't be too hard. But figuring out how to say hello and how are you should be first. Also money. I should have enough wiggle room in my personal budget to toss some extra cash into savings, especially since it looks like I'll be keeping my current gig full time come September - so I don't have to worry about saving money for another round of unemployment. Clearly things could change, but for now, lets go with this.

4) A Part of Camp Kaboom. Goal: 3 workouts per week. Foam roll every workout day.

turncoat-big.jpg

Okay, I have seriously been lacking motivation to do my lifting workouts. Between injuries, and guests, and just general malaise, I need to get my mind moving again. So this is the goal for now. Get back into things. Lift heavy things, and be happy doing it. I left it as a vague "3 workouts" because I may end up doing some running with a friend, which will take place of lifting workouts, just so I do have some time for, you know, myself. These workouts also don't include my regularly scheduled aikido classes (which is about 5-7 hours a week, so not an insignificant amount of time). With any luck this starts motivating my butt more (also because I need to do heavier workouts if I'm doing the Primal* eating plan, which has no specific calorie cap).

So that's the goals this time around. I am so much more pumped for this challenge than last challenge. Lets do this.

tumblr_lsapsqc4Ns1r35jugo1_400.gif

• Like 5

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

NICE. Way to get the theme set up. I was trying to find a way to do that my own self, but I just couldn't figure a way to get it done, you know?

Anyway, vanity is a completely valid reason to work out and approach your goal. Whatever gets you up and keeps you moving, right? Besides, I'm pretty sure that vanity is the reason most people start to workout anyway. /shrug

Also, for what it's worth, Primal's all about reducing suffering and getting the most efficiency one can out of one's body, in accordance with what we must have had once upon a time. If you can handle the legumes and such without any kind of trouble, then they're part of your Primal, and that's all you really need.

And, uh. Yeah. All right. Let's get this show on the road.

Yay figuring out your foodstuffs!  I'm totally aboard the "you gotta figure out what works for you" customize train.  Hope you find something that works well for you within the world of primalish :D

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Dammit, RP, I said I couldn't read the Dresden books because I needed things like food and sleep.  Why do you do this to me?  Why?

Because I <3 you and your geekery.  Duh.

In all seriousness, though, the goals look good and I literally embody envy for your opportunity to go to Japan.  Go Team World Hopper!

I am so stoked for this trip.  It's a bit pricey, but it covers airfare, food, accommodations, AND the Japanese rail pass.  For 14 days.  Um.  Yes.  Yes please.

NICE. Way to get the theme set up. I was trying to find a way to do that my own self, but I just couldn't figure a way to get it done, you know?

Anyway, vanity is a completely valid reason to work out and approach your goal. Whatever gets you up and keeps you moving, right? Besides, I'm pretty sure that vanity is the reason most people start to workout anyway. /shrug

Also, for what it's worth, Primal's all about reducing suffering and getting the most efficiency one can out of one's body, in accordance with what we must have had once upon a time. If you can handle the legumes and such without any kind of trouble, then they're part of your Primal, and that's all you really need.

And, uh. Yeah. All right. Let's get this show on the road.

I was going to try to stick with Summer Knight references (See:  Chlorofiend), since it is my favorite story of the Dresden novels (I even have one of the super limited edition cloth-and-leather bound copies that is one of twenty-six.  In the world.  For now.).

And the vanity one is so weird.  I never cared about having less fat when I was fat, and just didn't care about seeing people with flat stomachs.  Now... now I'm just like "Damn - I want to look like THAT."  More importantly, I realize I have the POTENTIAL to look like that.  Tell that to the me of 2 years ago and he'd just laugh.  A lot.

And I'm luck on the food front that little actually screws with my system.  So huzzah, all the eats!

SO JAPAN!

MUCH PRIMAL!

VERY FOAM ROLL!!

WOW!!

tumblr_inline_mrmuq1KneT1qz4rgp.gif

Subbed. Duh-Doiiii.

heroics.gif?w=700

Note to Self: Firefly challenge in the future.

Knew there'd be at least one of these :-D 

Goals look good and you appear to have a direction again this time.  Yay for continued employment!!!  Very good news!

What do you think of the foam roller so far?

I know.  Figured I'd jump on the chance to be even more of a Dresden Fan. :D

Thanks!  I definitely already feel stronger about this challenge than I did last one, so hopefully it shows.

And I like foam rollers - and the fact that I now have one at home makes this a helluva lot easier for me to follow through on.

Continued employment is good to hear!!!

And I'm glad to see you getting back to strength training, I always enjoyed stealing motivation following your thread for that. :)

Here we go!

Thanks!

Yea, I hope I can provide you with all the motivation you need.  I do my best to try and keep things at least somewhat entertaining in here.

Nice challenge set up. Look purdy is a perfectly acceptable goal.

I know, it's just so weird to actually realize the motivation I have right now is looking good.  After losing this weight I've had to go through so many mental hoops to figure out what I am that landing on this one now is just bonkers to me.  But I'm okay sailing the vanity ship for a bit.

Yay figuring out your foodstuffs!  I'm totally aboard the "you gotta figure out what works for you" customize train.  Hope you find something that works well for you within the world of primalish :D

I hope this works.  Honestly, the diet I had going for me was great for maintaining, even at ~2300-2500 calories a day.  But I just stopped losing weight a while back on just a strict cut.  So hopefully the drop in the carbs will help me get under my goal weight.  So Primalish, ho!

Of which, I added another caveat to my Primal* eating.  I'm allowing myself my pita pocket for lunches.  It's something like 4 carbs per serving that I use, and I cram it full of deli meat.  It is literally a meat-serving device of epic proportions.  I realized I was freaking out more about trying to get lunches that I would have to cook than I really should be, and that is the only grain-based carb source that I have during my lunches.  Everything else is veggies and yogurt and cottage cheese.  I think I'll be okay.

So excited for this challenge!

• Like 1

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Nice goals!  I totally get how motivating it is to look good.  That difference between a little flabby and svelte is HUGE!

The functional benefits of working out are great too. I love being able to move smoothly. Lifting heavy things is great. But those don't show in your regular life. I am 8 pounds down from my highest weight after the holidays this winter. My jeans are loose but my favorite skirt is still tight. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to get rid of those last few pounds.

I'm going to have to get the Dresden Files series from the library. That will be my reward for showing my mom around town this weekend.

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I feel like I need to read these Dresden Files lol. I think I'm missing out on something awesome. 

You get to go to Japan T_T I'm so jealous in a totally happy for you way. I also wish I had people around who could help me keep my Japanese skills up to par. It's been way too long and I've lost quite a bit. What book are you using to get started with? 

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Nice goals!  I totally get how motivating it is to look good.  That difference between a little flabby and svelte is HUGE!

The functional benefits of working out are great too. I love being able to move smoothly. Lifting heavy things is great. But those don't show in your regular life. I am 8 pounds down from my highest weight after the holidays this winter. My jeans are loose but my favorite skirt is still tight. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to get rid of those last few pounds.

I'm going to have to get the Dresden Files series from the library. That will be my reward for showing my mom around town this weekend.

Yea, I'm kinda pumped to see what happens with this diet.  I've stalled at ~206-210 pounds for apparently a year (!!!), so I really want to try to break the plateau.

Lifting heavy things may eventually morph into more endurance/stamina based workouts.  Much rather do lower-weights with higher reps work in the future, I think.  I'm not looking to move mountains.

And yea.  The books are fun, quick reads.  Early ones aren't written the best, but you can eat them.  They are, in effect, modern day noir novels with wizards and magic.

YEAH FIREFLY CHALLENGE. YOU AND ME, BUDDY.

I'll play Shepherd Book and everything. :D

If you want to do that next challenge, I'll totally be Mal.  Competing challenges like a BOSS.

I feel like I need to read these Dresden Files lol. I think I'm missing out on something awesome. 

You get to go to Japan T_T I'm so jealous in a totally happy for you way. I also wish I had people around who could help me keep my Japanese skills up to par. It's been way too long and I've lost quite a bit. What book are you using to get started with? 

Yes.  Yes you should.  Kishi, can we make that a requirement to join the Guild?

The Japan trip was always this vague idea I had in my head - the dojo going solidified it into something real.  Which is good, because I am biggest culprit of plotting for too long and do nothing to act on them.  The book I'm using is.... I think Berlitz Essential Japanese.  I Think.  It's at home and I'm currently sitting at work, so I'll check when I get home.

YEAH FIREFLY CHALLENGE. YOU AND ME, BUDDY.

I'll play Shepherd Book and everything. :D

If you want to do that next challenge, I'll totally be Mal.  Competing challenges like a BOSS.

Ooooh I want in! Not sure who I'd be though...

Oh yeah and good challenge or whatever. I'll be stalking you here and in person.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

The Japan trip was always this vague idea I had in my head - the dojo going solidified it into something real.  Which is good, because I am biggest culprit of plotting for too long and do nothing to act on them.  The book I'm using is.... I think Berlitz Essential Japanese.  I Think.  It's at home and I'm currently sitting at work, so I'll check when I get home.

I haven't heard of the Berlitz book, but I would recommend Easy Japanese by (some guy who I don't remember). It had the best guide to pronunciation and people thought I was a fluent speaker. It really helped with those pesky r/l sounds.  

I really wish I could go to Japan though. Maybe my dojo will do a trip to Okinawa one of these days...

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Yes.  Yes you should.  Kishi, can we make that a requirement to join the Guild?

Awww, yeah. It's on.

You know, I'd have to talk to Shogun about that, but I really think we could make it work.

Ooooh I want in! Not sure who I'd be though...

Oh yeah and good challenge or whatever. I'll be stalking you here and in person.

Simon.  Definitely Simon.  And I can see TinNanay (right, that's what we have dubbed her?) as Kaylee.  So that totally works.

And most excellent.  You only THINK you're stalking me... when in actuality it is truly I stalking you.  Mwahahahaha!

Awww, yeah. It's on.

You know, I'd have to talk to Shogun about that, but I really think we could make it work.

Seriously.  Monk-filled Firefly themed challenge.  Totally.

And yus!  Use the Guild Leader Super powers! :P

Good stuff. Haven't read the Dresden books but I might have to rectify that * - I googled them when I read your opening post and they look interesting...

* In audio book format. Can't stand first person narrative in fiction except as audio books... and the they're read by James Marsters.

Seriously.  Monk-filled Firefly themed challenge.  Totally.

Awesome idea!
(though I stil have another TMNT themed challenge lined up after this one ;) )

Here's me and my Epic Quest: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/61826

We should do it.  I'm usually Simon in personality tests but my friends maintain that I'm Kaylee.  We can have multiple Kaylees right?  Please?

Good stuff. Haven't read the Dresden books but I might have to rectify that * - I googled them when I read your opening post and they look interesting...

* In audio book format. Can't stand first person narrative in fiction except as audio books... and the they're read by James Marsters.

Awesome idea!
(though I stil have another TMNT themed challenge lined up after this one ;) )

The audiobooks with James Marsters are fantastic!  the first few are a touch rough on production quality (much like the books are a bit rough the first few) but they're still good and the quality only goes up.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Challenge looks great!  And looking great is a perfectly acceptable challenge!  Subbed for sure.

heroics.gif?w=700

Note to Self: Firefly challenge in the future.

This is an amazing idea that I will most likely steal.  Kinda mad at myself for not thinking of it already.  (is it really stealing if I tell you I'm doing it?)

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I hate you because of Japan, but I give you a brofist through the internet for continued employment

Awww, yeah. It's on.

tumblr_mk77qqDTuV1s9545so2_500.gif3ogfyn.jpg

• Like 1

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Okay. Welp, Zoe is called so.... I guess that makes me.....Serenity.

Nah, I think. I think if we're gonna do this, we're gonna have to share characters. There's plenty of room for diversity in terms of what we take from each character. Two different 'Mals' for instance can come away with entirely different challenges and both be completely in line.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines