RisenPhoenix Becomes the Summer Knight

RisenPhoenix

Could it be because you run a lot of stairs Wednesday morning?  Not snark, asking.  That's a major workout.

You know, I think I giggled for a good 3 minutes reading this.

Yea, it's possible.  Though yesterday I felt fine at class.  I think it might be a sleep thing more than anything else, maybe a bit of food/energy thing, too.  But I'll see if I Can notice anything over the next few weeks.

So I still need to read the rest of the thread but looking good! Also damn you for reading Skin Game before me, but I love the Dresden themed challenge. 

Thanks!  Skin Game was awesome.  I devoured it in 24 hours.  No lie.

I'd never be the guy to tell you that you're not doing enough, but how does this affect your goals re: running more stair sections?

Damned if I know.  Another thing to note.  Also might start bringing a water bottle with me into the stadium instead of leaving it in my car.  Maybe try hydrating myself a bit will help in the later sections.

Quick update before I do some more paperwork here at work.  Gym this morning, which was thus:

Squats:

45# 10x2

95# 5x2

115# 5x1

135# 5x1

155# 5x1

175# 5x3.

Look, I actually know what I did today.  Probably will keep it here again because form was a bit off.

OHP:

45# 10x1

65# 5x2

75# 5x1

95# 5, 5, 4

Keep it here one more time to see if I can pull off the full 5x3 set.  If not I'll drop it the following time.

DL:

135# 5x1

185# 5x1

205# 5x1

225# 5x1

260# 5x1 (PR!)

Yeesh.  Lots of extra time this morning, so I didn't feel rushed.  Which is a good thing, because that last set I took a bit of mental psyching up/calming down to get to.  But I managed!  The last rep I had to go hard - I even made a Bro-y grunting sound.  But it came up, stayed up for a second at the top, and then came down smoothly.  Huzzah!

Food yesterday was good.  Final macro count was 150g fat/100g carb/199g protein in about 2,500 calories.  Had a good amount of energy by the end of the day, though I'm definitely noticing that I have set snacking times where I need something to eat because the clock says so, not hunger.  I should work on that, but I'm eating things like apples (usually) or sunflower seeds.  Also, 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds is a lot, I've discovered.  Like, can-barely-stomach-them-all-because-I'm-bored a lot.  Did find they make a decent addition to cottage cheese, though.  Might try that as a breakfast with some fruit one morning.

Oh.  Also I need primal breakfast ideas that are not eggs.  Go.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Any normal food. I just eat what I would normally eat. Meat, veggies.

(Not all cultures have "breakfast foods". It's kinda weird when you think about it.)

• Like 1

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

(Not all cultures have "breakfast foods". It's kinda weird when you think about it.)

This.

Steak and broccoli is a great breakfast.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

There is no signature here.

Ran November Project this morning, and it was an absolutely gorgeous day.  Bright, not horribly warm, not humid.  So nice out.  The workout today was Firedrill, so every so often the bell would ring for pushups.  Only 5, but it's amazing how 5 decently formed pushups can sap some energy from you without you really realizing it.  Probably did 30 or so pushups over all, but the last 10 or 15 I did on my knees.  Not because I couldn't push them out, but because I wanted to save my leg energy for the stairs, not holding myself in the plank position for a few seconds.  Sounds lame, even to me typing it now, but I don't know how my quads would have dealt with more force being put on them.  Anyway, at the end of the workout (and I had maybe 35 or 40 minutes of the workout to do this) I had 30 sections accomplished.  Not terrible.  Not great, but not terrible.  Back half of the pack, for sure, but closer to the middle I'd like to think.  Who knows.

Also spent a lot of my time talking with a guy who ended up in front of me.  Lots of him being slow and steady and then suddenly I'm bolting up to where he was.  Talked to him for a bit after NP to see how he did and how he was doing.  (For those of you who don't know, because my online persona is a bit more extroverted, I have a really, REALLY hard time approaching people.  Just going up to a stranger, even one who I had been working out with for the last hour, is always an incredibly daunting task for me.  It's a testament to NP's friendly and open philosophy, more than me being brave, but something that dawned on me as I was driving away.  Nerds I've met I am much more comfortable with because I've been reading their thoughts for a while, usually.  NP doesn't have anything but Stairs.)

So jealous!

Water bottle in the stadium through the summer will be a necessity. It's only going to get hotter and more humid.  When I started last year, the water bottle helped me get through my first full tour.

Glad you are meeting more people at NP.  That's awesome on many levels.

And... Lots of Guinness!!  Thanks, man!

• Like 1

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Oh hey, you have a thing. Hi, thing. o/

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I've apparently now entered the "People come here to chat" category of threads.  However, I will never beat a Catspaw. 

I thought you'd appreciate this goal.  I think I thought it up after the Frogman 1 last week.

And I'm thinking Option B.  I would hate to make you get up even earlier.  Pretty sure LadySka would kill me, as well.

She doesn't care what time I get up anymore.  (that's not entirely true... but, she knows I am going to get up and it's going to be fucking early... getting up 45 mins earlier won't be anything to worry about.)

And, I'm going to up the ante... whatever sections I do with you, I'm bringing either a sandbag or a ruck.

BOOM!

Bacon and sweet potato hash with red pepper and onions. Mmmmmmmmmm......

I know, I know... you might not want sweet potato b/c of carbs, but you can always half it. Or do cottage and fruit.

• Like 1

This.

Steak and broccoli is a great breakfast.

Yea, I figured that would likely be the response I'd get.  That's a mental hurdle for me.  I love breakfast foods.  A lot.  Replacing them seems... sad to me.  But it would increase the variety I'm getting.  Which I'm sure my cholesterol will be greatful for.

Bacon and sweet potato hash with red pepper and onions. Mmmmmmmmmm......

I know, I know... you might not want sweet potato b/c of carbs, but you can always half it. Or do cottage and fruit.

That is tasty.  Maybe I will try to do that before workouts.  That'll be nice.  Cottage cheese and fruit is also another idea that I had and I'm gonna do in the future.

So jealous!

Water bottle in the stadium through the summer will be a necessity. It's only going to get hotter and more humid.  When I started last year, the water bottle helped me get through my first full tour.

Glad you are meeting more people at NP.  That's awesome on many levels.

And... Lots of Guinness!!  Thanks, man!

Yea, beautiful morning to run Stairs.

The water thing.  Smack me if I forget next week.

Seriously Love the Tribe.

And that was me thanking you!  Hope I didn't leave your house in a mess. :)

She doesn't care what time I get up anymore.  (that's not entirely true... but, she knows I am going to get up and it's going to be fucking early... getting up 45 mins earlier won't be anything to worry about.)

And, I'm going to up the ante... whatever sections I do with you, I'm bringing either a sandbag or a ruck.

BOOM!

Oh.  Shit just got real.  Dammit, this will make me want to ruck even more, though!  Stop taunting me with awesome things to do, Ska!

Oh hey, you have a thing. Hi, thing. o/

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4790-1367244894-3.g

• Like 1

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Yea, beautiful morning to run Stairs.

The water thing.  Smack me if I forget next week.

Seriously Love the Tribe.

And that was me thanking you!  Hope I didn't leave your house in a mess. :)

Oh.  Shit just got real.  Dammit, this will make me want to ruck even more, though!  Stop taunting me with awesome things to do, Ska!

Well, the sandbag and ruck was for me.  But, you are more than welcome to use it too!

And, I'm very certain I had left it in a mess before you got there.  It was all good.

Yea, but seeing you with the Ruck...  It'll make gears go in my head that I don't want to go.

I'm such a resistant bugger, ain't I?

• Like 1

Congrats on the PR! 

The sweet potato hash sounds delicious. Maybe sausage instead of bacon as another option? 

Cottage cheese and fruit is good but the mix of salt and sweet is a bit odd.  I found it needed stevia or some protein powder.  Mmm, cottage cheese + protein powder + almond butter is good BTW.

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Wait.  Sweet potato and bacon hash?  What is that EVEN.  OMG.  Must know more. 

Also:  As a breakfast junkie, it's taken me most of the last two years (with variable dedication) to break the notion that I *must* eat breakfast and that it must include oatmeal or some other grain.  I'll still indulge in some oatmeal when I'm too tired to make anything else after a hard workout, or have cereal as "dessert" once or twice a month, but making that early feeding as "clean" as possible has made a *big* difference in how I feel and the cravings I experience later in the day.  It's also freed me from NEEDING to have breakfast, as opposed to eating if I'm genuinely hungry or want to be sure I hit certain numbers on nutrients.  (Frexampul, it's nearly impossible for me to get decent protein intake unless I eat first thing.) 

Good luck!

Congrats on the PR! 

The sweet potato hash sounds delicious. Maybe sausage instead of bacon as another option? 

Cottage cheese and fruit is good but the mix of salt and sweet is a bit odd.  I found it needed stevia or some protein powder.  Mmm, cottage cheese + protein powder + almond butter is good BTW.

Thanks!

Right, sausage.  I should eat that.  So tasty.

And yea.  I've found I Really like cottage cheese.  Adding stuff is a bonus.

clearly not resistant enough of the mere presence of a ruck is sufficient to break down your resolve to resist.

Hey, I watched them ruck for 12 hours.  That was a lot of buildup.  But it took 12 hours of constant ruck-observing to get me to *think* about doing a ruck, maybe.

So I figure it'll take at least 12 weeks to get me to that point again, at which point my willpower to resist will be gone.  And then Nerds will probably all be like "Oh, come do it with us" and I'll relapse into my Nerd addiction.

Wait.  Sweet potato and bacon hash?  What is that EVEN.  OMG.  Must know more. 

Also:  As a breakfast junkie, it's taken me most of the last two years (with variable dedication) to break the notion that I *must* eat breakfast and that it must include oatmeal or some other grain.  I'll still indulge in some oatmeal when I'm too tired to make anything else after a hard workout, or have cereal as "dessert" once or twice a month, but making that early feeding as "clean" as possible has made a *big* difference in how I feel and the cravings I experience later in the day.  It's also freed me from NEEDING to have breakfast, as opposed to eating if I'm genuinely hungry or want to be sure I hit certain numbers on nutrients.  (Frexampul, it's nearly impossible for me to get decent protein intake unless I eat first thing.) 

Good luck!

YES.  Cheechoe made a really tasty hash while she was visiting (though hers had egg in it - amazing).  Really just grate/shred a sweet potato, fry up some bacon, and use the bacon fat to saute veggies of choice.  Add in sweet potato, cook until tender and/or crispy, and then stuff face.

As for breakfast, I need food in the morning.  Can I go without if I need to?  Yea, but I'm grumpy.  I actually have felt sick trying to skip breakfast and eat full lunches before.  And frequently I wake up starving, sooo there's that.  As for the grain/cereal part, I've been eating oatmeal for ages now and I've never had any issues, even less as I've learned what keeps you full for a while when I make breakfast - and really I consider oatmeal clean (because old fashioned oats + fruit + nut butter).  It's definitely a whatever suits your needs thing.  Only reason I'm ditching it for now is this whole stay under 100g of carbs thing.  I fully expect that on July 21 I will have the largest freaking bowl of oatmeal ever and it will be amazing.

• Like 1

Good numbers at the gym this week so far, good to see you back there!

I understand the egg for breakfast thing since I'm monitoring carbs right now too, but I have absolutely no help for you. For me it's hard boiled eggs or cottage cheese with fruit. And that is all. I used to have a banana/nut butter/almond milk smoothie EVERY SINGLE DAY before watching the carbs. With dates. Soooo yum, soooo not in my plan right now. 

I've considered "regular" foods for breakfast though, like steak/pepper/onion stir fry made the day before or at the beginning of the week. 

EDIT - If you show me your end-of-challenge old fashioned oats + fruit + nut butter on July 21, I'll show you my end-of-challenge scottish oats + fruit + nut butter. :)

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU"

My Epic Quest: http://www.nerdfitness.com/character/25378

I understand the egg for breakfast thing since I'm monitoring carbs right now too, but I have absolutely no help for you. For me it's hard boiled eggs or cottage cheese with fruit. And that is all. I used to have a banana/nut butter/almond milk smoothie EVERY SINGLE DAY before watching the carbs. With dates. Soooo yum, soooo not in my plan right now. 

I've considered "regular" foods for breakfast though, like steak/pepper/onion stir fry made the day before or at the beginning of the week. 

EDIT - If you show me your end-of-challenge old fashioned oats + fruit + nut butter on July 21, I'll show you my end-of-challenge scottish oats + fruit + nut butter. :)

Thanks!  I was worried that I'd feel wiped with my lifting workouts due to the diet change.  No issues thus far.  I do have a slight problem of I suddenly realized I'd be visiting my folks this weekend.  Which means no gym access.  And my knees are a bit rough so I don't want to run.  So I'm thinking maybe some BW stuff.  Maybe bear crawls though my parent's front lawn.  And sprints up and down the road.  And then pushups and lunges (I haven't don't lunges in a while, figure I can give the squats a rest).  Who wants to program a single workout for me that requires no equipment?  Figure something around 45 minutes or less?  Any takers?

Yea.  The carb thing.  The things I do for love Science.  And Vanity.

And yea.  I'll totally do that.  Also potentially might end my challenge early due to travel the last 4 days.  But I might be able to keep it up.  I've been told there's a chance.  Maybe.  If I eat no veggies and replace them with beer and wine. >.> <.<  Will say I'm craving the oatmeal less than I expected, and I feel that it might be mainly for the convince factor.

• Like 1

You mentioned eggs+cholesterol, so I'm just gonna leave these here.  Do with them what you will.

"Volunteers fed 2-4 eggs a day and measure their cholesterol show that dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol levels in about 75% of the population. The remaining 25% of the population are referred to as “hyper-respondersâ€. In this group, dietary cholesterol does modestly increase both LDL (“bad cholesterol†and HDL (“good cholesterolâ€), but it does not affect the ratio of LDL to HDL or increase the risk of heart disease."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19852882

"Egg yolks are an especially good source of choline, a B-vitamin that plays important roles in everything from neurotransmitter production to detoxification to maintenance of healthy cells."  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19906248
"Studies show that up to 90% of Americans don’t get enough choline, which can lead to fatigue, insomnia, poor kidney function, memory problems and nerve-muscle imbalances."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518394/

" It’s true that some studies show that saturated fat intake raises blood cholesterol levels. But these studies are almost always short-term, lasting only a few weeks."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12716665
"Longer-term studies have not shown an association between saturated fat intake and blood cholesterol levels. In fact, of all of the long-term studies examining this issue, only one of them showed a clear association between saturated fat intake and cholesterol levels, and even that association was weak."
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html

"A large meta-analysis of prospective studies involving close to 350,000 participants found no association between saturated fat and heart disease."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648?dopt=AbstractPlus

"A Japanese prospective study that followed 58,000 men for an average of 14 years found no association between saturated fat intake and heart disease, and an inverse association between saturated fat and stroke (i.e. those who ate more saturated fat had a lower risk of stroke)."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685950?dopt=AbstractPlus

Also, here's a big meta-analysis:
"Data from 21 unique studies that included almost 350,000 people, about 11,000 of whom developed cardiovascular disease (CVD), tracked for an average of 14 years, and concluded that there is no relationship between the intake of saturated fat and the incidence of heart disease or stroke."
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

• Like 1

Take the max amount of push ups you can do. Let's say you can do 40. Multiply it by 5 to get 200 push ups.

Your goal is to get to 200 push ups as quickly as possible. Push to failure every single time, but take a long rest to make up for it. This should take you several sets and probably a good 25-30 minutes. Finish it off with some sprints.

Or, if you're pressed for time: run your sprint for x distance, then do a set of push ups at the end. Walk back, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

Congrats on the PR! 

WUT?

Cottage cheese and nut butter? I have NEVER thought of that. If you know my crack-whore addictions to nut butter you know this is dangerous for me.

Must try...

Gah! Wait until cheat day!!! >.<

clearly not resistant enough of the mere presence of a ruck is sufficient to break down your resolve to resist.

THIS.

I LOVE THIS NAUGHTY IDEA!!

<3

Thanks!  I was worried that I'd feel wiped with my lifting workouts due to the diet change.  No issues thus far.  I do have a slight problem of I suddenly realized I'd be visiting my folks this weekend.  Which means no gym access.  And my knees are a bit rough so I don't want to run.  So I'm thinking maybe some BW stuff.  Maybe bear crawls though my parent's front lawn.  And sprints up and down the road.  And then pushups and lunges (I haven't don't lunges in a while, figure I can give the squats a rest).  Who wants to program a single workout for me that requires no equipment?  Figure something around 45 minutes or less?  Any takers?

Yea.  The carb thing.  The things I do for love Science.  And Vanity.

And yea.  I'll totally do that.  Also potentially might end my challenge early due to travel the last 4 days.  But I might be able to keep it up.  I've been told there's a chance.  Maybe.  If I eat no veggies and replace them with beer and wine. >.> <.<  Will say I'm craving the oatmeal less than I expected, and I feel that it might be mainly for the convince factor.

OMGOMGOMG!!! I gotcha covered!! One question for you first:

Do you own some bricks? ;)

You mentioned eggs+cholesterol, so I'm just gonna leave these here.  Do with them what you will.

"Volunteers fed 2-4 eggs a day and measure their cholesterol show that dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol levels in about 75% of the population. The remaining 25% of the population are referred to as “hyper-responders”. In this group, dietary cholesterol does modestly increase both LDL (“bad cholesterol” and HDL (“good cholesterol”), but it does not affect the ratio of LDL to HDL or increase the risk of heart disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19852882

"Egg yolks are an especially good source of choline, a B-vitamin that plays important roles in everything from neurotransmitter production to detoxification to maintenance of healthy cells."  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19906248

"Studies show that up to 90% of Americans don’t get enough choline, which can lead to fatigue, insomnia, poor kidney function, memory problems and nerve-muscle imbalances."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518394/

" It’s true that some studies show that saturated fat intake raises blood cholesterol levels. But these studies are almost always short-term, lasting only a few weeks."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12716665

"Longer-term studies have not shown an association between saturated fat intake and blood cholesterol levels. In fact, of all of the long-term studies examining this issue, only one of them showed a clear association between saturated fat intake and cholesterol levels, and even that association was weak."

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html

"A large meta-analysis of prospective studies involving close to 350,000 participants found no association between saturated fat and heart disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648?dopt=AbstractPlus

"A Japanese prospective study that followed 58,000 men for an average of 14 years found no association between saturated fat intake and heart disease, and an inverse association between saturated fat and stroke (i.e. those who ate more saturated fat had a lower risk of stroke)."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685950?dopt=AbstractPlus

Also, here's a big meta-analysis:

"Data from 21 unique studies that included almost 350,000 people, about 11,000 of whom developed cardiovascular disease (CVD), tracked for an average of 14 years, and concluded that there is no relationship between the intake of saturated fat and the incidence of heart disease or stroke."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

This is why I want to marry you.

Take the max amount of push ups you can do. Let's say you can do 40. Multiply it by 5 to get 200 push ups.

Your goal is to get to 200 push ups as quickly as possible. Push to failure every single time, but take a long rest to make up for it. This should take you several sets and probably a good 25-30 minutes. Finish it off with some sprints.

Or, if you're pressed for time: run your sprint for x distance, then do a set of push ups at the end. Walk back, rinse, repeat.

DAMN!! Kishi, you're too fast! You got here first :(

That workout sounds awesome! :)

This is why I want to marry you.

MWA!  Let's make it happen.  We can roast some whole animals (whole pig and whole lamb?) over an open flame, invite all the nerds, and do a GRC as a honeymoon.

MWA!  Let's make it happen.  We can roast some whole animals (whole pig and whole lamb?) over an open flame, invite all the nerds, and do a GRC as a honeymoon.

This is something I must attend.  Please make this happen.

• Like 1

Ok, day late and 5 pages behind, but I finally got caught up on your thread.

Thoughts: 

1.  I like your Primal adaptations.  I have a similar goal of "stop eating crap that makes me fat".  I actually did a 10-day stint as a vegan for personal reasons and lost 10 lbs in that time eating oatmeal, rice, and beans, so I figure those are okay for me.  Wheat, though, is another story.  It seems to trigger instant binge.  I think you have to find what works for you.

2.  Japan is an interesting place.  I lived on Okinawa for three years.  I am excited for your trip there!  Even after living there, though, I don't speak much Japanese beyond greetings and apologies for not speaking much Japanese.  I had huge ambitions to be fluent and learned all kinds of phrases like how to order beer and sake, and then got pregnant and couldn't use them.  Oh, well.  It definitely became clear why the classic Godzilla movies looked so funny dubbed, lol.  Japanese is very complex.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines