RisenPhoenix Becomes the Summer Knight

RisenPhoenix

Quick little update.

Ended up not going to the dojo last night.  Besides still being sore from the Stairs, my wrist was tweaked Tuesday night in a really hard nikkyo, so I wanted to give it a break.  Normally I'd suck it up, but Wednesdays I've noticed the last few weeks are classes I'm not enjoying so much - not because of the instructor (because I freaking love her), but because the only consistent students who show up are quite literally the People I Don't Like Training With List.  So I went home, unwound myself for a bit and cooked dinner, and then went to hang out with Tin Man and play some board games.  Twas fun, and very much enjoyable.  I need more board games in my life.

That's about it.  Tonight my dinner will be epic.  Steak + Roasted acorn squash + green veggie I pull out of my fridge first.  Also really behind looking at people's threads.  I'll try to fix that later, too.

Great evening :-)  Which board games?

Yeah, class can be diminished by the attendees.

Nom.  Post pics please?  Blast it, want squash now. 

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I love that you dubbed Ska "motivation incarnate" awesome.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

ohai.

you are awesome.

that is all.

<3

It's gotta feel good to have a breakthrough on your OHP.  And when you were tired, too!

Yea, that kinda shocked me.  I know my 1RM for OHP is 135#.  But my worksets are so far behind that, it feels.  So getting 3 full, solid sets was nice.

I know what you mean. Awesome teachers don't count for much if you're gonna throw and be thrown by people that you Don't Like to Train With. I think you made the right calls on training.

Hope you're feeling better today. Tweaked wrists are not fun. :(

Yea.  It's a shame, really.  Cuz I do love working with that instructor (*ahem* Also because frequently I'm used as uke for the demonstrations because I have better ukemi than these people).  I need to get out of the bad habit of mimicking their habits when I train with them, though.  But it's so hard to stay a good partner when people just fall down on you without you moving, or give advice/suggestions when the person just doesn't want to hear any of it (but when the instructor comes by and says the same damned thing nods enthusiastically like he's never heard the information before and then pretends he knew it all along).  If you want to train, train, but if you're going to not be serious about helping your partner train, then GTFO. /mini rant.

Wrist is doing better.  Still slight tweaks if I move it weird, but nothing horrible.  I should have put more ice on it last night.  Gotta remember tonight.

Seriously.  I also think it's impossible to be in a bad mood around the man - constant smile on his face.

Hey guys, who wants RP to make a last minute trip to Toronto?  

Memememememememememememeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

You have no idea how much I wish I could make it.  For real.

Great evening :-)  Which board games?

Nom.  Post pics please?  Blast it, want squash now. 

First game was Sentinels of the Multiverse (awesomely fun card game) and then a game of Pandemic (yay, diseases!).  Both are co-op games and we won Sentinels, but lost Pandemic AT THE VERY END.  Seriously, we had 3 cures.  THREE.  Dammit.

Ask and ye shall receive:

image_zpsbef65513.jpg

It was so damned tasty.  I ended up eating the entire acorn squash.  It was amazing.  The steak I over cooked a bit, but not as badly as I have in the past.  A hair over medium well, rather than the medium I was aiming for, but the steak was a bit thicker than I expected.  And if you can't see it, the small tupperware in the back is actually filled with the gourd seeds that I roasted after I scooped them out.  Also tasty.

Uh, so, confession time though.  Totally ate ALL the carbs last night.  After eating the squash, which got me to ~100g net carbs, I ended up devoured an apple and a crap ton of figs.  I really do not care.  It was amazing, and tasty, and damned well deserved after this week of PRs.  Everything was still Primal*, but I ended up with 191g total carbs consumed, and 142g net carbs.  As far as binges go, this isn't terrible (especially since I said initially I wanted to go no higher than 125g, so I'm really only 17g over).  Also, it was ALL the calories (not that I'm counting, per se, as much as I'm noting when things are crazy high - yesterday, or crazy low - two days ago where I ate 3 tablespoons of peanut butter because I was only at 1800 calories for the day).  Final count for the day was ~3100 calories.  Given that I'm about 90% sure that's what my (lower end of) maintenance was 2-ish years ago, that number is amazingly not freaking me out as much as I thought it would.  And again.  Everything was delicious.  So no regrets.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

You have no idea how much I wish I could make it.  For real.

We hassle because we care.  Totally wish you could.  Plans are in motion for Boston. 

First game was Sentinels of the Multiverse (awesomely fun card game) and then a game of Pandemic (yay, diseases!).  Both are co-op games and we won Sentinels, but lost Pandemic AT THE VERY END.  Seriously, we had 3 cures.  THREE.  Dammit.

I approve of all co-op board games.  Winning and losing in Pandemic always seems to come down to the wire.  I think that's why it's so awesome.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Eh. It's really not worth the regrets. Besides, the CHO recommendations are generally considered as an average over a given period of time. It's pretty much understood that you're gonna occasionally go higher sometimes, which is why you aim low when you can. And anyway, given that your CHO is coming from whole food sources with all the vitamins and minerals, I'd say you've got nothing to worry about.

That food does look pretty amazing.

Seriously.  I also think it's impossible to be in a bad mood around the man - constant smile on his face.

You two are far too kind.

(I was tempted to take a selfie of me scowling... but lost the motivation.)

• Like 2

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

You two are far too kind.

Says the man who lets me use his shower after Stairs AND provides me coffee.  Back at ya, buddy.

(I was tempted to take a selfie of me scowling... but  lost the motivation  I couldn't stop smiling)

FTFY.

• Like 3

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Food looks so good!  Glad you're not stressing on the calories and carbs.  Apples and figs are awesome.

Pandemic is loads of fun.  We once managed to win with no cards left in the draw pile.  It was tense.  Thanks for the rec on Sentinels.  Will check it out.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

We hassle because we care.  Totally wish you could.  Plans are in motion for Boston. 

WAT???

Eh. It's really not worth the regrets. Besides, the CHO recommendations are generally considered as an average over a given period of time. It's pretty much understood that you're gonna occasionally go higher sometimes, which is why you aim low when you can. And anyway, given that your CHO is coming from whole food sources with all the vitamins and minerals, I'd say you've got nothing to worry about.

That food does look pretty amazing.

This.

Also, you swithcing your Dojo night for another, then? Maybe for less goobertastic peoples?

**REMINDER**

ALL THE FOAM ROLLING!!!

Mount that torture pony!

WAT???

I saw that, too.  Just saying, the Spartan Sprint with a bunch of Monks would be awesome.  Especially since last year I was the only Monk.  (Cheechoe, you given up on trying to resist coming back in November still?  Cuz I can recruit more people to make it that much more difficult for you to resist...)

Also, you swithcing your Dojo night for another, then? Maybe for less goobertastic peoples?

Sadly, there is no escaping them.  Both of the BIG people I try to avoid (the ones who are kind of actively aware of their douchery/foolishness, as opposed to one guy who is just dopey and doesn't realize it) are pretty much constant, daily attendance people.  Most days I can avoid them because I'll pair with other people first.  But I'm not going to have them scare me out of one of my favorite instructors' class.  Nope.  I have methods when I'm paired with them.  Mainly just going slow in my techniques so if they fall ahead of any movements I can give them the stink-eye and they really can't argue.  And then the instructor is likely to see and also give them the stink-eye.  As it stands, Goober has been getting yelled at more frequently for his lack of 'presence' while training.  So small mercies, there.

**REMINDER**

ALL THE FOAM ROLLING!!!

Mount that torture pony!

Why do you hate me?

Congratulations on all the PRs!  You have had an amazing week.

I know what you mean about the people who are difficult to train with. I keep telling myself that people learn different ways. Someone may be having a bad day but could still learn something. There was a teenager at our dojo last fall who I worried about. He did not seem to have the idea that he was learning a martial art. He would move in ways that not only were not what was demonstrated, but actively put him in harm's way. He looked like a pile of sticks when he rolled.

For myself, I am working on keeping my balance and focus even when my partner is difficult. I find it challenging to blend, stay connected and take good ukemi when my partner is doing the technique badly. One of our regular students is a woman with severe coordination problems. I suspect she is developmentally disabled. However her dedication is amazing. Most people who struggle so hard to learn would have given up long ago. She practices all the time and passed her fifth kyu test. She still can't do a fluid front roll. She has to stop, get down close to the floor, then clumsily goes over. But she takes her rolls every time. I am sure that she will eventually get it. I am proud of my dojo because everyone takes turns working with her, slow and frustrating as it can be. I have less sympathy for the people who have normal physical abilities but a poor attitude. Those people give me a chance to work on keeping my composure regardless of how I feel about them.

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

For myself, I am working on keeping my balance and focus even when my partner is difficult. I find it challenging to blend, stay connected and take good ukemi when my partner is doing the technique badly. One of our regular students is a woman with severe coordination problems. I suspect she is developmentally disabled. However her dedication is amazing. Most people who struggle so hard to learn would have given up long ago. She practices all the time and passed her fifth kyu test. She still can't do a fluid front roll. She has to stop, get down close to the floor, then clumsily goes over. But she takes her rolls every time. I am sure that she will eventually get it. I am proud of my dojo because everyone takes turns working with her, slow and frustrating as it can be. I have less sympathy for the people who have normal physical abilities but a poor attitude. Those people give me a chance to work on keeping my composure regardless of how I feel about them.

A few years back, we had a guy that sounds amazingly similar. He was in bad car wreck that messed with his motor control. When he first showed up he could barely walk, but he came to every practice and slowly got better. Even though it was sometimes painful and frustrating, I didn't mind working with him. He listened and tried to get better. The people I don't like working with are the ones that don't listen or don't try.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Push ups: Yellow Belt

Dropping this here quickly before I rush out for a cookout to attend.

Decided to skip aikido (weirdness #1) to go for a run (weirdness #2) because it's gorgeous out here in Boston (weirdness #3) and went for what became a long run but didn't really feel like it (weirdness #4) and had it be a damned good time frame (weirdness#5).  This is totally my workout for the day instead of the gym.  Now to go catch a bus.

image_zps760ac8dc.jpg

• Like 3

Why do you hate me?

Dropping this here quickly before I rush out for a cookout to attend.

Decided to skip aikido (weirdness #1) to go for a run (weirdness #2) because it's gorgeous out here in Boston (weirdness #3) and went for what became a long run but didn't really feel like it (weirdness #4) and had it be a damned good time frame (weirdness#5).  This is totally my workout for the day instead of the gym.  Now to go catch a bus.

image_zps760ac8dc.jpg

AGAIN I SAY....

FOAM ROLLLLL!!!!

:D

For myself, I am working on keeping my balance and focus even when my partner is difficult. I find it challenging to blend, stay connected and take good ukemi when my partner is doing the technique badly.

I have less sympathy for the people who have normal physical abilities but a poor attitude. Those people give me a chance to work on keeping my composure regardless of how I feel about them.

The people I don't like working with are the ones that don't listen or don't try.

I really need to work better on keeping a more even composure.  Or at least better at hiding it.  Cheechoe can attest that when I was working with the Goobers in question, my entire disposition changes.  I usually joke, mutter to myself, ask questions, etc etc with other people.  These guys I clam up, become somber and serious, and a bit aloof.  Pretty sure if I tried to do anything else I would 'accidentally' launch them out of the window during a throw.  The only other time I have an attitude similar to dealing with them is when I'm training with a particular 5th Dan, because he is incredibly intense and doesn't really allow for my usual joking, easy-going fair.

And yea, I understand some people are poor learners who just don't have an aptitude.  I don't like training with them, but I can still be fine there.  But people who just don't listen or try.... well, they can piss off.  Plus side, the more senior Goober got yelled at a lot yesterday during class.  Because he just fell over.  All.  The.  Time.  Instructor got so annoyed he even changed him out for a demonstration with someone who'd offer resistance.  I'd say maybe he'd eventually learn... but he doesn't pay attention or learn.  So... not holding my breath.

Anywho, week 2 recap:

1) Devour the Chlorofiend:  5.5 /7 days Primal*. 

That BBQ on Saturday?  Yea, I blew Primal*.  I was doing SO WELL.  But I stayed too long, and the result was when I got hungry again, there were only dessert items of the sugar-laden variety.  Seriously, I was getting texts from the Toronto Nerds (and then my phone died, and I was sad), and was very, very jealous of their Nerd-approved food.  And, of course, their shenanigans.

The 0.5 taken off is a bit arbitrary - mainly to account for the fact that on Thursday I ate all the carbs in the form of figs and an acorn squash.  Still worth it, though.

2) Out run the Blue Beetle. - COMPLETE

I RAN A FULL TOUR.

Now I get to see if I can do it again, and how long it takes me.

3) A Correspondence Course in Latin Japanese.

Got another transfer pending to my savings account from my checking account.  I'm trying to keep in mind that while my checking account is low for me, it's actually pretty damned high for the average 20-something year old. 

The Japanese lesson... Nada.  I got sucked into reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, and the entire last part of the book was too awesome for me to put down.  So I didn't.

4) A Part of Camp Kaboom. 3/3 workouts complete.

Two lifting work outs and that run on Saturday brings my total to 3 this week.  I'm thinking that I might be best off lifting twice a week and doing a run once a week, particularly if the weather holds up as nicely as it has been the last few weekends.  Also means if I leave on a Friday night to go somewhere I can easily pack my running shoes and not have an excuse for no workout.  Just would have to run early enough on Saturdays if I'm home to not bork up my aikido schedule. (With the nice weather I've noticed it's getting shafted.  Whoops.)

Onwards, to week 3!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines