Happienumber learns the jedi code

CLIFFS NOTES:

Main Quest: One armed handstand

Supporting goal 1: Improve strength and balance

Supporting goal 2: Weigh less

Supporting goal 3: Be flexible to avoid injury

Life goal: Jedi Calm

r169_457x256_4703_Launch_Day_2d_sci_fi_r

it was absurd, I thought as I wove my way through the spaceport like an invisible phantom. Three short years ago, I had been planted in an earth suburb, eating pizza and watching telly, the oddest thing in my life being a cousin who had died her hair blue. Now I was brushing against beings with blue teeth, blue fur, blue from head to toe, I’d even met a creature that was nothing more than a shade of blue that had to be refracted into a holding crystal to keep from dispersing everywhere. Everything was blasted wonko, and if I stopped to think about it for any length of time, my brain went sliding out my ear and I had to lie still for a while. This wasn’t to say that, apart from the nearly constant imminent death that had stalked me since leaving earth, it wasn’t the best thing that had ever happened to me. It was a rip-roaring ride, and I wouldn’t go back even if I could. But it was also a massive distraction just to keep one’s head above water, and I couldn’t shake the feeling creeping up my neck that I needed to DO something. That my new powers were for a reason, I couldn’t just scurry about aimlessly.

To that effect, in my duffle bag, beneath a sweatshirt, a deck of cards, and a pack of pre-cooked bacon (for bacon, it seems, is a universal food group found on nearly all planets, at least the fashionable ones worth mentioning), was a book. A training manual.

It said directly in the front that it was meant to be a part of an intense program of training, starting from early childhood and including many teachers and mentors. But I had none of those available to me; not only did I not know where to find them, being on the run from a band of murderous pirates made staying in one location to complete schooling rather inconvenient.

But I could work through the book, doing my best, as I hopped ship after ship. I knew I could find the time- I would make the time- to do the excercises, to do my best until I could find a mentor. Maybe somewhere along the way I would find out why this path felt so important, and why I had the dark, pressing feeling that the pirates were the least of my problems....

Ok so I'm going through another chaotic move during this challenge, and last time that derailed me for a YEAR. I refuse to let that happen again. This time I'm making my challenge flexible to see how it works to keep me healthy and working my way towards my goals, allowing for all kinds of mess to break out and not ruin it haha.

To that effect...

POINTS!

Stealing the points idea from RedCedar. I love this, and it should allow me to work towards my goals every day by doing at least SOMETHING that improves my health. 

Goal one:

Image1_Use+the+Force.jpg

Increase my balance and strength: There is no chaos, only harmony

1 point for every two minutes spent actively trying to balance not touching the wall

1 point for every minute of planking

1 point for every “level up†in less fingers on supporting hand during strength work (balancing on one hand with 5 fingertips, 4 finger tips, 3 ect until I’m only on one arm)

Why it's a challenge:

Finding time to practice every day, finding a good place to be upside down in the house i'm house-sitting for the first two weeks of the challenge, and keeping it up when I'm on the road for the third and fourth week of the challge.

Why I want to do it anyway:

This is arguable the most important part of the progression towards one armed handstands: actually doing them.

GOAL TWO:

photo-19-09-13-8-00-02-am.jpg

Weigh less: There is no death, only the force

Ie I won't die if I force myself to eat right LOL

Carbs over 30: -1 point for each carb.

I am trying to stay keto here, for more than one reason. The big one being that I feel a lot better brain-wise on keto. When I get higher up in the carb universe, I can feel my ADHD going “WHAAAAAâ€

Now I need some ways to gain food points. Also stealing from RedCedar, 1 point for every serving of veggies. and a whopping 5 points every time I try a new veggie that I’ve never tried before.

1 point for every 10 minutes of “extra activity†on my fitbit.

This will encourage me to run in and out of stores and up and down stairs and generally just be more energetic throughout the day.

Why it's a challenge:

Carbs are freaking everywhere. I ate a chorizo the other day and I found it had 6 carbs per link becuase of added sugar (And I had way to many of them and was feeling sick, which was why I thought to look at the package.) I have to be more diligent about reading packages to look for not only hidden carbs but also preservatives and food dyes which also lurk in unsuspected foods.

iIn the interest of handstands, I will be able to support myself on my arms better if there is less of me to support. Also I was keto for 7 months this past year and I have literally never felt better, my ADHD symptoms were still there but SO managable. Like I didn't even know my brain could work like that. 

GOAL THREE:

tumblr_mn2jizdkUP1s5gngho1_500.jpg

Stretching: There is no passion, there is serenity

1 point for every 15 minutes spent stretching
Automatic 25 point bonus if I actuallly reach the floor in any of my splits, as that will be a first in my life.

Why it's a challenge:

I am very inflexible, and I keep losing track of stretching as something that is important. 

Stretching helps prevent injuries and I feel better when I'm more bendy. Also splits and shoulder/uper back mobility are very important in ballet which I'm keeping up with, and I found that HOLY COW my upper back and shoulders are tight, like bending backwards at the barre I can't even see the wall behind me, only the ceiling, and everyone else is like folded in half haha. 

Life Goal:

kungFu_1670284c.jpg

Jedi Calm:
There is no emotion, there is peace

1 point for every ten minutes practicing stances and breathing
1 point for every ten minutes of sitting still reading/listening to an audiobook

Why this is a challenge: 

ADHD. Stuff to do. Distractions. Stress. Waking up too late. 

1. I want to continue rehabilitating my ADHD by adding moments of calm into my day-to-day life
2. Time to find a center and figure out what the heck is going on today, better able to make desicions if I can see the big picture without a thousand little screaming voices in my head. 
3. I'm headed into what I see being a fairly overwhelming situation up in the frozen tundra, and I'm going to need to find a way to be at peace. 
  • Like 3

AAAANNND brain fart I forgot to post my scoring:

Aiming for 50 points a week which equals 300 points for the challenge. 

250-300+ = A

200-250 = B

150-200 = C

100-150 = D

< 100 = F

One arm handstand, that's seriously cool! Where are you at now with your handstands? 6 weeks just seems like a very short timeline, 6 months is more realistic! Unless you're very close already? Or are you talking about doing them against the wall?

Nice goals and I especially like how you describe for each one why it's a challenge for you. Helps me to relate better to you! I'm working on my front splits (it's not a specific challenge goal but it goes into my flexibility one) and just like you I have always been stiff. So hey, maybe we can support each other :D 

One arm handstand, that's seriously cool! Where are you at now with your handstands? 6 weeks just seems like a very short timeline, 6 months is more realistic! Unless you're very close already? Or are you talking about doing them against the wall?

Oh my golly definitly against the wall for now haha. Yeah it's one of those main-quests-that-will-take-longer-than-six-weeks. But I plan on working on it for as long as it takes :)

At the moment I am able to do a two handed handstand against the wall for 1.5 minutes, so I feel like I have the strength to start....leaning to one side? HAHA. I have the balance to do about 2 seconds freestanding, my balance is VERY bad. My max was 9 seconds about five months ago and it was almost a fluke (basically i think i accidentally didn't fall...) and then I've slacked in my training so....there..

Perhaps I need to forget to hit the ground?

"Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is the second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It's no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won't. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you're halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground, or about how much it's going to hurt if you fail to miss it."

Nice goals and I especially like how you describe for each one why it's a challenge for you. Helps me to relate better to you! I'm working on my front splits (it's not a specific challenge goal but it goes into my flexibility one) and just like you I have always been stiff. So hey, maybe we can support each other :D

Yes! Let's! What routine are you using for stretching?

I warmup a little, usually with high knees and then I do some standing hamstring stretches. After that I go for deep lunges and then I alternate going for best frontsplit and deep lunge. I sometimes pit a pigeon in between too more for variation than it being actual splits practice haha

Haha sorry didn't mean to put you against the wall! :) It's just such a huge skill that I wanted to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into as it's really really really hard. And awesome so you should absolutely do it!!! :D Just realise it will take time, and get the basics down first. From what I've read it's not even worth touching one arm stuff seriously until you have a 30s-1min solid two arm handstand + press handstand. You can still do one arm stuff for conditioning though, weight changes etc are great and necessary for handstand walks and such. To give you an idea of a progression and skill required here's a great video:

I warmup a little, usually with high knees and then I do some standing hamstring stretches. After that I go for deep lunges and then I alternate going for best frontsplit and deep lunge. I sometimes pit a pigeon in between too more for variation than it being actual splits practice haha

Is pigeon something like the figure 4?

wh0409fd006.jpg

I just recently added this one into my routine and I was absolutly shocked by the degree of inflexiblity I have in this stretch.. holy cow. We were doing this one in ballet class and all the other students looked somehwat like this picture and my front knee is about 2 feet off the ground. NO ROTATION at all. I can see where it's going to be helpful.

Haha sorry didn't mean to put you against the wall! :) It's just such a huge skill that I wanted to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into as it's really really really hard. And awesome so you should absolutely do it!!! :D Just realise it will take time, and get the basics down first. From what I've read it's not even worth touching one arm stuff seriously until you have a 30s-1min solid two arm handstand + press handstand. You can still do one arm stuff for conditioning though, weight changes etc are great and necessary for handstand walks and such. To give you an idea of a progression and skill required here's a great video:

OH MY GOLLY that video wow. I aspire to that. Yes, this is the very first steps on my very long journey LOL. I love that you have all this information! I'm going to stalk you for more....(you realize you just created a monster, right?)

Starting stats mostly for me (I'll probably post a before video) for the handstand:

90 seconds wall handstand

2 second freestanding balance

I can handstand walk about 8-10 feet

I can do like 5 half-handstand pushups (like onto three textbooks)

*sniffs* Bacon??? HI! *waves* :D  Looks like you've set some awesome goals, hun, and hopefully they help you strike a balance while you're shifting about in the world. 

hlwiLnb.gif

Hi back!

All the bacon!!!

Looks like you're all set for another awesome challenge! I hope this helps with all the relocation stress. :)

oh I hope so.

newsflash I may not be moving. 

Not-so-newsflash: I'm being jerked around again my my fam.

However with this new development I'll need this super flexible set up to handle the chaos!

LET IT GOOOOOO....

Doctor_Who_Dancing_2.gif

• Like 1

As of right this moment, I have 2 points for today. Did 20 minutes of chill reading with my coffee this morning for Jedi Calm. :)

I have some before videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZOefGJ___w

I swear I didn't break myself I just forgot I have a huge swollen lump on my elbow from flipping over backwards onto it on rollerskates saturday....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30vg6YI1k4

My form leaves oh-so-much to be desired and my balance is wonky today (i'm feeling mega nausous) but I did manage to get onto 5 finger tips on my assisting hand HOORAY! 

(Also don't mind the singing I had no idea I was doing that...ugh)

Yes! Love this challenge! Mostly because of the whole using your ADHD to your advantage thing! But also, holy wow I didn't realize one-handed handstands were like, a reality real thing. Awesome! I'll be gone a lot this challenge, but I'll try to drop in every once in a while to see how many new veggies you've tried :) 

Yes! Love this challenge! Mostly because of the whole using your ADHD to your advantage thing! But also, holy wow I didn't realize one-handed handstands were like, a reality real thing. Awesome! I'll be gone a lot this challenge, but I'll try to drop in every once in a while to see how many new veggies you've tried :)

YAY!

I havn't done any veggies today 

sad_panda.jpg

But I was also not at all hungry and the only thing I could force myself to eat was one keto protien bar and some cotto salami. I have potentially interesting veggies waiting in the freezer I just have to get motivated to consume them.

So I just did 2 minutes of planking and 15 minutes of stretching bringing my daily total to 5 points. Also I wanted to share my stretching routine such as it is:

GFzTI4S.jpg

HOLY GIANT PICTURE BATMAN

wow I don't want this that big but ok. 

Basically: 1 minute each:

Lunge left

Hamstring left

lunge right

hastring right

Figure four left

figure 4 right

split left 

split right

butterfly

frog

middle split

frog

and then 1.5 minutes each:

split left 

split right

• Like 1

Looks like a very nice stretching routine! Frog is so painful argh! :P

Yes is is absolute torture aaaaagghhh!!!!!

But it is good and helps with splits and turn out but ugh golly owch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Tapatalk

I think frog looks really comfy but A. I've never officially tried it (though I'm sure I get there during certain transitions) and B. hip and back stretches are kinda my yoga heroin.  Seriously, I get a happy high from certain poses and they are usually hip and lower back stretches like that one :)

Very quick update:

5 points today.

2 points from listening to an audiobook with my coffee this morning for 20 minutes (holy cow I sat still for TWENTY MINUTES!)

2 ponts from veggie consumption (one handful of lettuce and an entire onion. Ommnomm the onions. I wonder what an onion is good for. They are super yummy but what vitamins?)

1 point for 15 mins of stretching

Hit EXACTLY 30 Carbs today not even counting net carbs.

Posted Image

Guess wuat?! Moar chaos!! Lol I have one week to get ready for a move (that may or may not be happenng) and I start getting harrassed by a debt collector. For back rent and fees in the thousands of dollars for an apartment I moved out of before I went to Guatemala.

1: roommate did not leave her half of the rent for me when she left as she said she would 2. When I called her she said she would mail it to them, and I told them this and they said it was fine. 3. Two months later I get a message from them saying that we owe all this back rent and fees. I go in to talk and th ey say she never sent her rent and if she sends it, they will wave all fees and they promise to call me if she doesn't or if there are any more issues 4. I call her and she says shes been calling them for months tryint to get their address (why doesnt she have it? Why couldnt she call me?) And they wont answer or return her messages and she left several (unprofessional of them) 5. I gave her the address and she said she sent the check. Then another 2 months later I get a demand for payment and start getting harassed by a debt collector for all this money. 6. I ask her if she sent her bloody check and she says she did and it gor sent back saying "we cant accept this money at this time" (why she didnt tell me? Why did they not call me as I asked and they promised?) 7. I stormed into their office in full lawyer mode and barked for a while. He says it is becuaee he sent it to the debt collector a week after he didnt get the chek and they wont accept anything less than the full amount (so he was lying about being able to wave any fees) he promised to call them and sort it out, I demanded his number becuase he obviously couldnt be trusted to call me (and I said this) 8. Still getting harrassed, tried to call him today and his number is "not a valid phone number" so now I have to go up and bark at them again in the building tomorrow

Humans. I will never understand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Tapatalk

Grrrrr. Humans. People like that suck so hard. Hope you can sort out this mess, not that it's even your mess! Grrr.